The online racing simulator
Nice, now in Z4 it's not possible to drive a valid hotlap with going through the pitlane, thanks for that!
I cant say i have noticed this one before:

And after some time i got out, and i was liek

Quote from Pablo.CZ :I got OOS error in single player 0.5Z replay (LX4 race).

U get an OOS-error when the set you are using is edited in Z4, for some reason. According to Elmo the server gets confused :P

Try using a Z-set, and it should work. I also found out that it works if u make a "new" set.
Seems a few people are getting the DX8 crash - see crash info sticky
Yes, it's a a bug.

Modding!! Not welcome

And Scawen, please update Czech translations in next (test) patch
Quote from Flame CZE :Yes, it's a a bug.

Modding!! Not welcome

Sorry for that, just testing some for my friend.

Is it not allowed to attach screenshots with a modded car? I can remove it if u want
Are car shadows suppose to look like that?
Attached images
shadows.jpg
Quote from Velociround :It only shows if you manage to make your engine die (e.g. using manual clutch and gearbox, change to first gear and then let it die by taking out your foot/finger of the clutch pedal/button... you'll see that this indicator will turn on, just like on real life cars )
It is supposed to make the driver know when the engine dies, so if you turn off the engine it wont show up because it didn't really died...

I'm thinking that would be the 'ignition on' light.

Thanks for the test patch Scawen. Seems to all be working fine on my end.
I've got a little question concerning the hotlaps.

I tried to upload once XRG hotlap at WE1R, and I can't because that it's a test patch Z4 hotlap.
My question is : will I have to do it again? or well the test patch hotlaps can be converted anyhow in a future patch

Thanks for answering (I'm not ranting, I don't care about redoing it, since it's nowhere near the WR, I just need to know whether I should take a break of hotlapping )
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I think ABS is the biggest LFS boo-boo to date. I'm not for a bunch of people who, frankly, can't drive, being able to brake the same as me, if not under MORE control because some anti-skid thing is working for them. Some of us spent along time learning how to drive on the limit, only to find some fellow racer can do just as good as us on his/her first day. I hope you include some sort of server-side force option (i.e ABS can be ON or MUST BE OFF), or that (even better in my eyes) you limit ABS to keyboard and mouse users only.

Apart from my rant, I'm happy to report this Z4 test patch is working smooth with no problems that I've noticed
Quote from Zen321 :I've got a little question concerning the hotlaps.

I tried to upload once XRG hotlap at WE1R, and I can't because that it's a test patch Z4 hotlap.
My question is : will I have to do it again? or well the test patch hotlaps can be converted anyhow in a future patch

Thanks for answering (I'm not ranting, I don't care about redoing it, since it's nowhere near the WR, I just need to know whether I should take a break of hotlapping )

Quote from Scawen :Most cars hotlaps will be unaffected, although some minor changes may affect some cars and so make some hotlap charts invalid. I can't give a definite list at the moment, sorry.

Quote from Scawen :To avoid too much anticipation I'd like to make sure you know that there will not be any new content in the new patch other than the VW Scirocco.

btw... the second quote from scawen is false already now ^^ (ABS)
I think the ABS is a great inclusion personally. Road cars in real life have it, so why not the road cars in LFS? Leaving it out would make the sim *less* realistic. And of course, it's likely to make laps faster; the whole point of ABS is that it shortens braking distances and helps maintain control. I'm not saying that it should necessarily be used in races (the ability to ban ABS at the host's end would be a great idea IMO - I'm all for racing without ABS), but it's just an extra facet of the sim. Perhaps something to use on cruise servers, or just for playing around with. It could also help new drivers, as a learning aid.

If the racebred cars all had ABS too, then that'd obviously be unrealistic and would cause real problems, but since it's just the road cars, I don't see what the problem is.

Oh, thanks for the patch Scawen! The new shadows are a great improvement. :-)
Its unfair though, especially to make the test patch compatible with Z, i currently don't have the test patch or abs but on CTRA Race 1 no matter how fast someone is they pwn the crap out of me under braking (one even went round the outside of me!)
Ye, i know you're feeling S14 DRIFT and that's why i realy hope that servers will be able to force ABS on or off for everybody. But ABS is great thing and i absolutely wish that it will stay in LFS forever (maybe with little updates). It's realy welcome on cruising and some racing servers. But as some people already said, forcing ABS on or off for everybody on servers will be realy good !
Maybe that's your driving mate (pearcy), I found no difference in overall braking distances (or being able to brake later) when using ABS and not using ABS. Of course, EASE of doing so varied greatly, one requied 100% brake and hold on, the other required limit braking and careful clutch control. Shame that 95% of people will go for the former.

(omg ppl agree with me HISTORY IS BEING MADE)
[
Quote from Scawen :To avoid too much anticipation I'd like to make sure you know that there will not be any new content in the new patch other than the VW Scirocco.

Quote from John5200 :btw... the second quote from scawen is false already now ^^ (ABS)

omg teh scavier administration has lied

ghey
Quote from D_Thrasher :I think the ABS is a great inclusion personally. Road cars in real life have it, so why not the road cars in LFS? Leaving it out would make the sim *less* realistic. And of course, it's likely to make laps faster; the whole point of ABS is that it shortens braking distances and helps maintain control. I'm not saying that it should necessarily be used in races (the ability to ban ABS at the host's end would be a great idea IMO - I'm all for racing without ABS), but it's just an extra facet of the sim. Perhaps something to use on cruise servers, or just for playing around with. It could also help new drivers, as a learning aid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... &feature=channel_page

At the end, there is a comparison with the ABS engaged (after the threshold of the grip, brake pedal depressed to the max), and at the end, just right before reaching the ABS threshold (it does not kick in).

The ABS at full braking can be compared to "cadence" braking we can see earlier in the video.

@Scawen : the ABS is a really good idea for LFS. However, maybe reducing its frequency (making the time when it releases the pressure a bit longer), or even lowering the pressure it applies when it releases the pressure so that it can't stay at the optimum braking point for too long would make it more balanced, and emphasize on the driving skills, instead of putting the brake pressure to the max and kicking it hard
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I think ABS is the biggest LFS boo-boo to date. I'm not for a bunch of people who, frankly, can't drive, being able to brake the same as me, if not under MORE control because some anti-skid thing is working for them. Some of us spent along time learning how to drive on the limit, only to find some fellow racer can do just as good as us on his/her first day. I hope you include some sort of server-side force option (i.e ABS can be ON or MUST BE OFF), or that (even better in my eyes) you limit ABS to keyboard and mouse users only.

Apart from my rant, I'm happy to report this Z4 test patch is working smooth with no problems that I've noticed

As LFS is a SIM (simulated real life vehicle physics, racing, etc) and ABS is part of real life, it's quite logical for ABS to be included.
LFS is NOT a personal e-dick extender and as such should not be limited to hotlappers who perfected the track.

LFS is all about close racing, at least to a vast majority of people. If someone who just started racing has the ability to give me the closest race of a lifetime, so be it. I welcome it with open arms, regardless whether ABS helped them. We all have the same tools at our disposal.

Leagues should have the ability to force ABS off for logical reasons, however it would be a shame if the majority of servers forced it off.
And if added features make LFS more inviting to a wider crowd of "gamers" by making it more accessible, how could one possibly dislike that?

It's not about who finishes first. It's about the ride IMO.
The inclusion of ABS could reduce the amount of accidents that new drivers (virtual LFS drivers, that is :P) get into.
Quote from D_Thrasher :I think the ABS is a great inclusion personally. Road cars in real life have it, so why not the road cars in LFS? Leaving it out would make the sim *less* realistic. And of course, it's likely to make laps faster; the whole point of ABS is that it shortens braking distances and helps maintain control.

Yes, road cars do have abs for safety reasons. But abs is prohibited in almost all racing. So choose your poison, which realism is the one we want to go after? A super safe volvo or a race car, i know which one is my choise. Take the mainstreaming approach and you'll have a console game in your hands. Not really challenging, easy to learn, loss of interest in a couple of months.
Also the idea of abs is to maintain steering, not to shorten braking distances. In many cases braking distance with abs is longer compared to locked tyres.

The suggestion of making abs response rate slower and making the brake pressure release greater/longer sound like viable options. As said in my previous post, right now it takes ~0.02s for the system to release brake pressure making the abs system work at around 50Hz. From googling i found results varying from 15 up to 20Hz.
How about a super safe volvo race car?

Quote from gohfeld23 :As LFS is a SIM (simulated real life vehicle physics, racing, etc) and ABS is part of real life, it's quite logical for ABS to be included. A racing sim, where ABS is banned in nearly all motorsports.

LFS is NOT a personal e-dick extender and as such should not be limited to hotlappers who perfected the track. Very true, it's a game where people who are better than others should be able to drive better than others. Limit braking is a pretty simple skill to learn, and I think your comment is rather unfair. I'm far from a hotlapper, and I perfectly accept that others may not be as quick as myself, however what I don't approve of is them being able to make up some of the extra time, that they'd lose because they don't know about limit braking, by having anti-lock do it for them.

LFS is all about close racing, at least to a vast majority of people. If someone who just started racing has the ability to give me the closest race of a lifetime, so be it. I welcome it with open arms, regardless whether ABS helped them. We all have the same tools at our disposal. I would prefer to race with someone who is of the same ABILITY of me, not 15% slower than me but has all sorts of driving aids. ABS does not make them increase their mid-corner speed and will only be 'better' on the brakes.

Leagues should have the ability to force ABS off for logical reasons, however it would be a shame if the majority of servers forced it off. Semi-agreed. Servers such as CTRA were there are established track record systems and extra points awarded for fast laptimes should have it off - because then it's not skill that's driving, it's a computer helping you.

And if added features make LFS more inviting to a wider crowd of "gamers" by making it more accessible, how could one possibly dislike that?

It's not about who finishes first. It's about the ride IMO. It's racing, so to me, it's about who finishes in the top 3.

Responses in bold, cba with extra formatting.
Quote from plehto :The suggestion of making abs response rate slower and making the brake pressure release greater/longer sound like viable options.

Indeed. And it would make the ABS to handle more like the ABS you'd find in those old cars instead of some super advanced racing ABS that also acts as ESP. Which I guess is next?
#125 - hda
if, while braking with ABS on you push the handbrake the rear wheels will light up in the tire temperature display (F9) like abs is being applied onto them while it is not.

Tried it with 95% brake balance in the front wheels, first didn't push the handbrake to confirm my assumption was correct and by the second time I did, creating a flatspot on the rear tires
This thread is closed

Test Patch Z4 - online compatible (no VW)
(188 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG