The online racing simulator
Quote from plehto :I deeply hope there will be a server side option to force abs on/off. If you don't use it while others do, you are giving up a huge advantage. I haven't tested complete laps, but i did a braking test.
Car used was xrg, brake force at maximum(1840Nm) with and without abs, 810Nm without abs(typical for current setups).

Findings:
With abs you can trail brake as deep into the corner as you want, not having to worry about flatspots whatsoever. On top you will maintain perfect controllability over the car. Also as the back to front weight shift has been done already and deceleration is somewhat constant, car's behavior remains very predictable and stable.
Abs also reacts very quickly, around ~0.02s from the moment of abs engaging to disengaging. At 153km/h abs allows wheel speed to drop to 106km/h before taking action. At 73 km/h the same figure is 55km/h. I don't know what kind of speed differences real abs systems allow, so can't comment on this.

To compare braking distance i did a 160-0 brake test with xrg and analyzed the rafs with f1perfview. Results and graph are attached.
It can quickly be seen that with abs you achieve far greater avarage deceleration from 160-60 km/h, the difference is nearly 9%. As a result braking distance is shortened by 10 meters and it takes 0.25 seconds less to do so. This combined with being able to brake deeper into the corner with zero risk of flatspotting, you really can't be competitive without abs.
Keeping in mind this was with road_normal tyres, I'm fairly sure the differences would be even greater with road_super.

In essence the abs takes away from the challenge of driving these cars. It becomes dull and boring when you can get that perfect braking everytime without flatspots. The challenge and fun of trailbraking deep into the corner and keeping the car balanced while doing so is what motivates and rewards drivers. Learning driving techniques and mastering them is what should make a driver faster, not a button to enable abs.
Also now it really doesn't make a difference whether you drive with keyboard, mouse or wheel. Each of them can be equally fast, mouse probably being the fastest on the low power road cars.

I am not trying to say abs cannot be this effective, but driving aids should make it easier to drive around the circuit, not faster. In the older versions brake help eliminated some of the lock-ups, but it certainly didn't shorten your braking distances or make your laptimes quicker. LFS is supposed to be a pc simulator, but seeing how easy these cars are becoming to control it's ready to be ported into a console game.

+1!

Second thing i would like to add that Hotlaps in LFSW cannot be made with ABS ON (luckily) and i hope it will remain the same in next patches. It will be just too fast then with not much braking distance...
Quote from EliteAti :That barrier thing is fixed (minor bugs may be) so cars wont fly anymore.
Secong thing BUY S2!!!

He has. But the barrier bugs are not fixed yet.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :He has. But the barrier bugs are not fixed yet.

Aint that much for me, tried to go thru barrier, it just pushed me back instead of being a super trampoline. Yes, Shadowww has S2 (i know what you mean )
ABS? i'll give it ago

Not to be a downer but i've never been to keen on ABS anyway, kinda makes the racing less "dirty" in a sense that it kinda takes the skill out of it, but i suppose some people are incapable of pushing the button for the right amount or tapping the brake button at the correct speed

I like the fact that clutch is now in outside veiw gauge - but could you move it so it doesnt effect the old gears? it looks cramped with the gear moved up like that.. lol
Quote from EliteAti :Aint that much for me, tried to go thru barrier, it just pushed me back instead of being a super trampoline. Yes, Shadowww has S2 (i know what you mean )

Yes but you don't fly away all the time when you hit a barrier. Sometimes you are pushed back.
I think most of the places i've seen were you "float" is Out Of Bounds (OOB) ie the picture earlier with the RAC - there minor problems that can be fixed later imo
Quote from plehto :I deeply hope there will be a server side option to force abs on/off. If you don't use it while others do, you are giving up a huge advantage.

+1, i hope that servers will be able to force it too .
where do we put the file?
Shadows still overlay over the roof of pit and some bridges

Attached images
lfs_00000001.jpg
Quote from k 1778 :where do we put the file?

Just put it in your LFS directory, open it and press Extract. But it's recommended to backup your LFS directory first.
#88 - wien
Quote from Inouva :Shadows still overlay over the roof of pit and some bridges

And? This isn't a bug, it's a side effect of the shadowing technique used in LFS. It's not visible when racing, so I don't see why it's worth spending time on?
I see, with more and more leagues streaming there races.
#90 - Juls
Crazy polygons gone here too (fx5200).
#91 - XmaX
Another little bug, maybe known already
The Window cut of the object and smoke, see attachments

Max
Attached images
lfs_00000099.jpg
lfs_00000098.jpg
Quote from Velociround :
so,the correct list:

Handbrake, engine on/off, revs redline, lights, pit lane limiter, hazard/indicator lights....

???
How come it doesn't come on when the car is shut off?
Attached images
lfs_00000434.JPG
Quote from wien :And? This isn't a bug, it's a side effect of the shadowing technique used in LFS. It's not visible when racing, so I don't see why it's worth spending time on?

Changes in TEST PATCH Z3 :

Updated wheels on Formula BMW
Implemented ABS brakes in XFG / XRG / RB4 / FXO / XRT / FZ5
Improved wheel drawing system including rotating brake discs
Improved shadows - sharper and ambient shadow effect now included
InSim : New packets to start / search replays and take screenshots
FIX : Player name was wrong in entry screen on entry or after replay
FIX : Added checks to prevent guests joining with no user name or ID
FIX : OOS starting race after joining autocross host in entry screen
#94 - wien
Quote from Inouva :...

I'm well aware of what the changelog said, thank you. What about that made you think projected shadows suddenly wouldn't work like projected shadows anymore?
Ok i'm getting a really big problem now. I'm not sure if it is lfs or the host. I keep connecting and it is coming up saying › WS.C • Luke : JOOS - SET. I think this might be a setup related error.
Just got a random crash, so I thought I'd post this.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: LFS.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4943e997
Fault Module Name: d3d8.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bcbf
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00045bd7
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 34be
Additional Information 2: 930908fa4f3aa3e9b72cbee0cfd38581
Additional Information 3: e490
Additional Information 4: 443ecac083971922dce4d4ee089ff04e
On closing LFS it crashed. Info:
Appname: lfs.exe
Modname: lfs.exe
Offset: 00151b55

This happened to Samh too - same info as above. We both quit lfs while on track after a race had finished. Sam did Alt-F4, I clicked the Windows Close Program red X.

I didn't have ABS enabled at the time (but I had previously during that session). Sam did have ABS enabled. Going to try to reproduce it reliably - will edit this if I get something.

Edit: Reproducible. Three of us have been able to do this.
Start a race, put either tyre temp or suspension overlays on and then close LFS. All crashes have reported the same offsets up there.
Things that don't cause the crash:
Other overlays.
If you quit before the race starts.
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :???
How come it doesn't come on when the car is shut off?

It only shows if you manage to make your engine die (e.g. using manual clutch and gearbox, change to first gear and then let it die by taking out your foot/finger of the clutch pedal/button... you'll see that this indicator will turn on, just like on real life cars )
It is supposed to make the driver know when the engine dies, so if you turn off the engine it wont show up because it didn't really died...
Attached images
died.JPG
died2.JPG
thanks for ABS, should help us mouse users
I got OOS error in single player 0.5Z replay (LX4 race).
This thread is closed

Test Patch Z4 - online compatible (no VW)
(188 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG