(336 posts, started )

Poll : Do you smoke marijuana?

NEVER!!
Once a week or more
never but I wouldn't mind
Maybe once every 6 months ish
Once a month
Once a year

I know my limits. I can have about 3 pints of my fave brew before I start to feel 'different'. After my 4th I'm a bit...tipsy. 5th one is pushing it, and I've never gone further than 6. I only drank that much on one occasion, I was at a party at a freinds house a year or so back, everything was pretty safe. If I were in a more public environment such as a pub I wouldn't have had half a much.

I never consume more than 2 pints a day normally. I continue to drink because after a long hard day, a beer can help me relax (yes I know marijuana can do that but I'll pass thankyou). You forgot the legal bit as well
Well where to start my post from ....
I was going to post this anominously Its not the sort of thing i discuss freely with strangers or people im never likely to meet.

Ok so lets go right to the start.

I'm an eight year old lad, who hates his mum for smoking.
I decide there must be a reason why my mum smokes.
So i steal one or two to try, i sneak to my den and try one.
Its horrible , i am confused for another 5 years.

Ok I'm 13 now, its the end of the school year. Some of my mates manage to aquire some alcohol.
We get drunk, we start talking and i am curious again, why do my mates smoke ? I fall into a little peer pressure mainly to understand why people do it.

So i light one and "wow" no horrid coughing, mm tastes nice with strongbow.
Ok so right there and then i decide this is somthing i can do and feel the effects of the nicotene really strongly with the light buzz from the cider.
A week later or so i buy my first pack.
I smoke about 10 a week for a few months. (its £1.30 for 20 regal King size)
I joke to my friends that i quit when they get to £3 a pack.

A few years later its £3 a pack. and im leaving work to score firday nights entertainment. On the way to meet my main man, I get a call from my non drug using circle of friends from college, they invite me to a house party.
"ok" "I'll be there" I'd been smoking pot now for a few months and the friends i share this scene with since 3rd year at high school. (the amount of times i tried to tell them to stop I even reported my best mate for smoking before an exam)

Anyway i turn up at this party i know just one or two people here, and guys that i know are totally straight, no drugs ever. So were sat listening some techno and one of the lads i dont know proudly anounces that hes got a surprise , and pulls out a bag of green.

So i am thinking to myself "Yeah lets get stoned ... but ..aww crap but my mates here dont know im a "drug" user ahhhh hhhhh shit"

So i just go with the flow and joints fly around then my straight buddy grabs one of the joints and takes a huge toke ...... well i am speechless.
He passes me the joint and says come on al try some....
I smoke it and finish it .. everyones like 0.0 waiting for me to keel over or smth.
So i just smile to myslef and pull out my own supply and everyones speechless , turns out to be a great night
I become cheif roller !
By now i had alreeady decided to come clean to my parents about everything they had already guessed.
They were worried id be led into more dangerous areas of drug use.
Time goes on and its another Friday night Im now 19 and its time for another night with a GTE. (One gramm of speed, one trip and one E)
Its getting boring the scene at the clubs had changed for ever, coke getting more popular, raving was becoming fashionable.
An encounter with mushrooms changed things forever in a totally positive way. Although at the time it was both heaven and hell, but that ticket was worth the ride and that inital birth of what i felt was a true awakening of my mind.
By now Id seen both sides of the coin, I had met enough people here and there to know my own limits and what drugs i wanted to try and whcih not to risk. Now i had friends digging speed and much more, i took a step back and looked at what i was doing and where i was. Where i wanted to be.
Things started to change. I stopped with the amphetamine, pills and hallicugens and alcohol. But smokings was too hard to quit.

This was a important part of my youth and i think it is for anybody for any situation is to be true to yourself and others when you feel your losing grip control of your drug use.

Since then, sure ive done some of things i used to do in the past, but ive also dealt with death from drugs friends and family. Ive seen the darkest sides of people and the most loving side. One friend in particualr thoughout this has been tormented by alcohol and himself. I can proudly say he is dry again, but without trust and friendship and people to talk to about any of the issues raised in this thread its much harder to cope in my own humble opinion.
I have friends that smoked pot daily almost for decades that have "retired" and appart from their nagging they seem to be fine.

I could continue this brief collection of events/memories that i have experienced. I wanted to go a little deeper with the direction of my post, i might do that still, but for now, my only advice and thoughts are to be safe and have fun.
Quote from The Moose :The trouble with scaremongering/lying about the effects of drugs is when you realise people around you that use them aren't suffering the effects described, you realise it's all bullshit and end up trying them anyway.

The only good drug information is TRUTHFULL drug information

+1million. ^^^^ Kids, this is important. There are risks. There are serious psychological consequences, there are also serious physiological dependencies that can result - they are not to be taken lightly - THAT IS IMPORTANT INFORMATION. They can also be hilarious entertainment, and can sometimes help you deal with short-term issues in your life, but they are no replacement for professional help and advice.

PLEASE READ: I cannot stress enough that it's important (IMPORTANT) to avoid routine consumption of opiates or methamphetamines, for example speed, coke, crack, heroin, etc. Cannabis abuse is not inherently dangerous unless - and this is purely hypothetical - you have a psychological disorder or you believe you may have. I know quite a few perfectly functional families who use cannabis to unwind at the end of the working day, who have smart, imaginative children who are well cared-for and are very good company.

I have to say this: I would recommend that everybody avoid LSD because a small number of people have a seemingly-allergic reaction to it, which can seriously **** up your head. This is not your typical "bad trip" - it's something far more serious which can put you in hospital for weeks and require long-term treatment to recover from. However I have never heard of anybody having the same reaction to magic mushrooms. So if you want to have a hallucinogenic experience but at the lowest possible risk to your well-being, take shrooms instead.

That's the end of my personal advice. My seemingly-trite summary earlier in this thread was intended to get those important points across while making the point that I know what I'm talking about, I hope I didn't glamourise any of the drugs I mentioned.

I should also state: My statements are based on experience and research I have read, not research I have conducted. I am serious about the potential pitfalls outlined above, they happen, and they have ruined some friends I've known. But there may be other cnosequences I haven't considered.
In response to Al above: I have to say smoking tobacco is such a ****ing nothing. I am embarrassed to be still addicted to smoking tobacco, I wish I'd never started. It's much more serious than anything else - do not start.

It's hilarious in a way that, particularly during my time in the music biz, I've ended up doing pretty much every illicit substance worth doing, and the only thing I'm still doing is smoking fags. Which don't do anything for me at all, they just make me feel like shit if I don't smoke them.

This is why I say don't do opiates or methamphetamines regularly. Those addictions are a lot more expensive and debilitating than tobacco. If you feel the curiosity to try them once, go ahead and try them. If you feel a compulsion to do it again, don't.

Seriously.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I drink alcohol.
I'm completely anti-drug.

Do you realize that this doesn't make sense?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I never consume more than 2 pints a day normally.

In my country, by the age of six, if you can't down 2 pints in 30 seconds they lop off ya willy and give you a girl's name.
Quote from Gunn :In my country, by the age of six, if you can't down 2 pints in 30 seconds they lop off ya willy and give you a girl's name.

What country is that? :P South Africa?
Oz, I think.
Quote from Kalev EST :I´m an Estonian and were probably the most reserved people in the world when sober (except Finns). Alcohol helps to relax, make people more open and happy. It makes communication and approaching new people easier.

They're sad people if they must rely on chemical substances to make them relaxed, open and friendly.
Quote from wsinda :They're sad people if they must rely on chemical substances to make them relaxed, open and friendly.

You're right you know. I find people who rely on drugs for ANYTHING are people to pity, maybe these people should find true love, drive a really exciting car or do things on impulse for no reason, these things can be exciting. Adreneline is the best drug. It's legal too!
Quote :I never consume more than 2 pints a day normally. I continue to drink because after a long hard day, a beer can help me relax

Do you also smoke?

PS, you went from 1-2 pints a week (top of page), to 1-2 pints a day.
i didnt read the hole thread but thought id add my 2 cents

when i was 14 i smoked weed alot and got drunk all the time so did my friends
one of my friends over dosed at school, another was driving drunk and got t boned by a B tripple semi and died, another had bad depression and hung himself, another kept taking drugs ie speed,coke,herion,weed and endid up dieing at the age of 19.

And to top things of 2 of my friends have been in and out of mental hospitals and one even got electro shock theropy.

so in my conclusion drugs are bad mmmk:

still dosent stop me from doing acid every now and again

ps my when i was 13 my mum had a boyfriend that smoked alot of weed and he would go crazy break into the toilet when i was having a piss grab me around the neck hold me up and say things like *hows it feel being in the toilet with someone thats going to kill you* .

so yer some people are ok their hole life on drugs others get overcome very easly by them
he has the mind of a stoner!!!!!!
Quote from S14 DRIFT :

I know my limits. I can have about 3 pints of my fave brew before I start to feel 'different'. After my 4th I'm a bit...tipsy. 5th one is pushing it, and I've never gone further than 6. I only drank that much on one occasion, I was at a party at a freinds house a year or so back, everything was pretty safe. If I were in a more public environment such as a pub I wouldn't have had half a much.

I never consume more than 2 pints a day normally. I continue to drink because after a long hard day, a beer can help me relax (yes I know marijuana can do that but I'll pass thankyou). You forgot the legal bit as well

Obviously you dont know your limits or you wouldnt have become an addict. If you continue to drink, you are still an addict (awful young to have been a addict of anything, btw). The amount you drink continues to rise with every post.

I dont care what drugs the government has decided are legal or not. If weed is good enough to give out to some patients with certain medical conditions, then it is good enough for me to help me relax. Ive never heard of a doctor encouraging the use of alcohol. Ive also never heard of a person od'ing due to pot, I cannot say the same for alcohol.

Sometimes the government gets things wrong, you know.
Quote from th84 :If weed is good enough to give out to some patients with certain medical conditions, then it is good enough for me to help me relax. Ive never heard of a doctor encouraging the use of alcohol. Ive also never heard of a person od'ing due to pot, I cannot say the same for alcohol.

Sometimes the government gets things wrong, you know.

Doesn't mean shite mate, Doctors used to prescribe Heroin and cocaine years ago, it was also deemed that smoking was ok years ok too, untill they found out it wasn't.

Doctors now prescribe many, MANY drugs that aren't a good idea to take (methadone?), so just because a doc says something is "ok" to take for someone that needs it, it certainly doesn't make it good for the general populus to take.
Yea, I agree. I wasnt trying to say that if the doc says it is ok, then it must be, but it has been proven that weed helps people with certain medical conditions. My point was leaning more toward the fact that weed is much safer of a drug (yes, alcohol is a drug) than alcohol, In a million different ways.
Quote from th84 :Yea, I agree. I wasnt trying to say that if the doc says it is ok, then it must be, but it has been proven that weed helps people with certain medical conditions. My point was leaning more toward the fact that weed is much safer of a drug (yes, alcohol is a drug) than alcohol, In a million different ways.

Not disputing the fact that Alcohol is as / more damaging that ANY other drug, I just get bemused when people try to justify drug use / abuse.

Like I said, there are PLENTY of drugs that a proven to help certain medical conditions, that if taken in excess, or without said condition will quickly ruin you in different ways, so don't think just because people take X for something it's ok for you to take it.

Anti-depressents are something that doctors over here prescribe like smarties, and some of these are extremely addictive, and can mess you up big time.
Yea, pills are a whole diffrent ball game. I know more people who have had addictions to prescription pain pills/anti dep. than alcohol and pot combined.

I dont feel as though pot needs any justification for use. I used to use pot in excess every day (me and the ole lady would go through a ounce a week or more), and I would still get up and 5am and head to work the next day. I have never been hurt, or caused another person to be hurt due to my use. I have also never stole from anyone or sold my body for weed.

To each his own, it just bugs me when a drunk talks down to people who smoke a little bud now and then.
im inmune to cannabis for smoking too much ,tolerance

just like wesly was to yocaine in princess bride
Quote from Gunn :In my country, by the age of six, if you can't down 2 pints in 30 seconds they lop off ya willy and give you a girl's name.

Best call me Janice then.

Electrik - I don't smoke. Moan at all my family+freinds that do to quit lul

th84 : Unfortunatly, as much as you try to ween your way into understanding the reasons, you never will and you haven't read and understood the context. Normally I never drink more than 2-4 units a week. However if I'm having a 'tough' or 'hard' time, I may have no more than 2 pints a night. This is not a regular occurace. The party, as I said, was a party. So yeah. I have my perfectly valid reasons why I became addicted, and I'm thankful that I had the support I needed. Shame to say it wasn't from family.
Im not trying to "ween my way into understanding" anything. My whole point was that it is funny to say the least that a confessed alcoholic can come on here (or anywhere) and condemn those who choose to smoke pot rather than drink. I do indeed understand the context, your saying that is ok in your eyes to take something that is very dangerous and addictive because the government tells you that they see it as legal.

Im glad you had some sort of support to kick your addiction, good for you. My addiction needs no help, for one because it is not an addiction, and two because I can do without if I need too (ie no money ).

If you think depression is a perfectly valid reason for becoming an addict, then your issues go way beyond alcohol. Also, your addiction must not have been to serious, or you would stop drinking all together. As long as you continue to drink, you are still an addict.
Quote from lerts :im inmune to cannabis

Nope lerts, you just think you're immune because you're mentally on a state that goes way beyond the relaxed high of dope.
On a sidenote though: I actually do know some people on which cannabis has no effect at all.

And S14, somehow you come across as a textbook hypocrite in every somewhat controversial thread you turn up. Now if you didn't drink at all, I could convince myself that it's ok for you to look down on drug (ab)users, but you're in a state that is actually quite dangerous. First of all, no drug, including alcohol, should be used to get over a depression, because it doesn't solve the cause and will get you into a psychological addiction quite quickly. Also, even though you consume only a little at once, it will, if it hasn't already, become a full blown addiction.
Alcoholism doesn't mean you drink till you drop at every opportunity. It means that you can't get through the day without longing for a drink.
Quote from th84 :Im not trying to "ween my way into understanding" anything. My whole point was that it is funny to say the least that a confessed alcoholic can come on here (or anywhere) and condemn those who choose to smoke pot rather than drink. I do indeed understand the context, your saying that is ok in your eyes to take something that is very dangerous and addictive because the government tells you that they see it as legal.

Im glad you had some sort of support to kick your addiction, good for you. My addiction needs no help, for one because it is not an addiction, and two because I can do without if I need too (ie no money ).

If you think depression is a perfectly valid reason for becoming an addict, then your issues go way beyond alcohol. Also, your addiction must not have been to serious, or you would stop drinking all together. As long as you continue to drink, you are still an addict.

o_o

Addiction requires my being to dependant on alcohol. Which it's not. And it was more than depression. I'm not going there, fortunatly for you. The law is the law at the end of the day, you can't say "oh well the government says x is legal but y is not, but i'm gunna say xy are both as bad as each other". They're not.

@Coleus. Sorry that you find me hypocritical. I was addicted - I'm not now. I'm reformed, if you will. I won't become addicted. It's been probbably 3 weeks since I last had any sort of alcohol and I don't feel the need to go and gulp down a gallon of the stuff.
S14, you fail do grasp the concept of laws not being absolute truth. Just because one's legal and another is not, doesn't make the legal one any "better". It's scientific fact that tetra hydro cannabinol is less harmfull than ethyl alcohol, and no legislation can change that.
Of course, noone wants to force you to smoke weed (not even if it was legalised), but we're simply trying to get the point across that the difference between legal and illegal drugs is completely arbitrary and shouldn't be the base of a moral differentiation. Weed isn't worse than alcohol, nor better, it simply is for some odd reason illegal, while alcohol, for some very odd reason, is not.

Marijuana and me
(336 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG