(336 posts, started )

Poll : Do you smoke marijuana?

NEVER!!
Once a week or more
never but I wouldn't mind
Maybe once every 6 months ish
Once a month
Once a year
DRIFT, i think your info is from the DARE project and FRANK, both bad sources.
My info is from Google. Frank's a pretty good and informative website actually. Since neither myself (or you) are qualified enough to make judgements as to the effects of drugs, I think the safe thing is to listen to the people that do (i.e no-one on this forum)
Quote from S14 DRIFT : I think the safe thing is to listen to the people that do (i.e no-one on this forum)

Which is who exactly? Put 10 "experts" in a room and you will get 10 different opinions.

People in this forum with many years of use have just as valid points to make as any "experts"

Kev's got it pretty much spot on so far.

From personal experience i believe that Cannabis has the ability to exacerbate any underlying mental problems, but i don't for one second believe that it actually causes mental illness.
FRANK has been criticised by many for a lack of information about drugs in terms of safety in use or preparation, but instead merely presenting reasons for those already not taking drugs to continue not taking them. FRANK has also been accused of telling scare stories, rather than presenting a balanced view of narcotics and their effects.

FRANK has also been accused of presenting misleading, and in some cases entirely false, information about drugs. One example occurred in 2007 when the site had to remove an article entitled "Cannabis Explained" after several groups pointed out glaring errors in the information presented

As of May 2008, FRANK continues to claim on its site that there's a link between cannabis and schizophrenic psychosis when scientific analysis has already refuted such claims. FRANK often mirrors government policy and understanding in terms of drug abuse, rather than recreational drug use.

Yeah FRANK is great, and the government never lies!
I have noticed FRANK has some... rather obscene footage/stories. However, in my eyes, that's only a good thing. It keeps alot of kids away from trying it. And that, in itself, is good.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I have noticed FRANK has some... rather obscene footage/stories. However, in my eyes, that's only a good thing. It keeps alot of kids away from trying it. And that, in itself, is good.

The trouble with scaremongering/lying about the effects of drugs is when you realise people around you that use them aren't suffering the effects described, you realise it's all bullshit and end up trying them anyway.

The only good drug information is TRUTHFULL drug information
Quote from Crashgate3 :One of the troubles of criminalising/decriminalising the 'lighter' drugs is that its incredibly difficult to do given the legal status of alcohol.

Pretty much everyone will agree that health-wise, not doing pot is better for you than doing it, which is supposedly the rationale being keeping it illegal, however saying 'it's bad for you so it's illegal' while keeping alcohol legal is nigh-on impossible to do without coming across as a massive hippocrite. If alcohol had only been discovered recently it would be a Class A drug.

yep, you are right there...
Ethanol, also called ethyl alcohol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol, or drinking alcohol, is a volatile, flammable, colorless liquid. It is a psychoactive drug, best known as the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages and in thermometers. In common usage, it is often referred to simply as alcohol.
Quote from wsinda :It's a serious question. I've never done any drugs or alcohol, which (especially the latter) made be a big exception in my Uni years. I've been asked many times why I didn't drink. My reply was "why should I?", and I've never heard a satisfactory answer to that.

Same here.

Why should I drink something that already smells disgusting just to embarass myself and not know anything about it the next day?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Btw, Marijuana is harmless and totaly non addictive.

Hey th84, did you check out his link? Straight from the Scholastic newsletter. We must have skipped that day of school that they handed out this in the newsletter. Had we read that, I'm sure both of our lives would have been completely different through high school and the few years after (hmm, I guess a bit longer for you, heh?)

S14 Drift, how about actually trying to seek out some facts rather than some propaganda that the agenda laden elementary schools are spoon feeding you. I just about busted a gut more than I did when th84 stated he never touched the stuff earlier when I noticed what the origin of your resources were with that link.

And before you ask, NO I did not read your link. I only noticed the "Scholastic" letterhead on top of the site, thus it can certainly be swept under the rug for being nothing more than brainwashing anti-drug propaganda rather than actual factual information.
I simply googled for infomation regarding problems that can occur when regular use of Marijuana is involved. I read briefly through several links and found that one the most balanced and most detailed. As I've said, I'm not an expert on drugs. But it seems like everyone is going down the "oh well there's nothing official so let's do it it makes me look cool" rather than the "woah hang on there is evidence to suggest, even though it's nothing concrete, i don't want to possibly harm myself so i'm going to be a mature person and say no"

Again sorry my links aren't up to the standard desired.
Quote from zeugnimod :Same here.

Why should I drink something that already smells disgusting just to embarass myself and not know anything about it the next day?

If you´ve never drank before then you´d probably get sick long before you get to the amounts needed to not know anything about it the next the day.

But seriously, I´m an Estonian and were probably the most reserved people in the world when sober (except Finns). Alcohol helps to relax, make people more open and happy. It makes communication and approaching new people easier. Also you can do crazy things and no one will think you´re really crazy because you can blame it on alcohol. Sure it damages your health and you feel crap in the morning but for me and a lot of other people the fun outweighs that. I´m a social drinker. I don´t enjoy drinking alone. I enjoy the more open and relaxed athmosphere when people are a bit buzzed. But if you don´t want to drink then don´t. It´s your choice.

And on topic... I´ve smoked pot only a few times so I don´t really have first hand experience but I think it´s no worse than alcohol. I´ve never seen people get agressive when smoking pot but I´ve seen plenty get agressive when drunk.
i didn't vote because there was no option for "twice an hour" sup with that bitches lmao.
sorry, that was my "schizophrenic" side...now what was i saying?
oh yeah. smoking the pot has done as much damage to my health as wearing 2 pairs of socks in the winter. i can easily smoke a 1/2 oz of pollen in 3 days. do i mind? not one bit. i work hard and i can spend my wages on what ever i like and when i like. i don't sit in the middle of the town at the weekends asking for change. nor have i ever pawned my stuff so i can by some of the whacky. i have never mugged someone so i can buy some. infact without the pot, i would be a model citizen. i would keep typing but i forgot what i was saying (joking) so i think i roll another phat one and decide on what topping to have on my well earned 18"pizza.
Quote from S14 DRIFT : ....................................... Because all the info I've found shows that it can and is.

this is info from the same government that says that iraq had WMDs?

Quote from S14 DRIFT :I don't have a fact drawer in my brain. If you can't beat them with logic, baffle them with bullshit, I say.

i'm sure that's the very same thing the government said about the uk citizens b4 they went into iraq.
(slight BS but i'm sure you see the pattern.)
Quote from zeugnimod :Same here.

Do i have to understand the comment of yours as a lack of self control or something?

Although i do understand what you're saying and i respect you for this decission, its just an generalisation based on (common) cliché's.

I never get agressive and i do remember everything i've done, no matter how much i've been drinking. Im of course killing a lot of brain cells, damaging my body in numerous other ways and the state of mind & pronunciation are getting really unpleasant the more i consume.

After all, there are ways to make it taste better and also ways to restrain yourself in order to not consume too much.

Quote from Kalev EST :
But seriously, I´m an Estonian and were probably the most reserved people in the world when sober (except Finns). Alcohol helps to relax, make people more open and happy. It makes communication and approaching new people easier. Also you can do crazy things and no one will think you´re really crazy because you can blame it on alcohol. Sure it damages your health and you feel crap in the morning but for me and a lot of other people the fun outweighs that. I´m a social drinker. I don´t enjoy drinking alone. I enjoy the more open and relaxed athmosphere when people are a bit buzzed. But if you don´t want to drink then don´t. It´s your choice.

Well said. Exept for the blaming part. I mean i understand, everyone is different and so the effects are different for everyone. But i dont like the idea of blaming it on the alcohol for some reason since after all, as long as you can talk & walk or act in any kind of way you must be also in control of your brain (to some extent) if that makes sense)).
Quote from S14 DRIFT : But it seems like everyone is going down the "oh well there's nothing official so let's do it it makes me look cool" rather than the "woah hang on there is evidence to suggest, even though it's nothing concrete, i don't want to possibly harm myself so i'm going to be a mature person and say no"

Where has anybody suggested it makes them look cool? You're just pulling this stuff out of your arse again.

..and now it's mature to say no is it? I hope you never drink alcohol. That makes people far more immature than smoking a joint ever has.

Really, your entitled to your opinion of course, but frankly you're talking a load of shite.
Quote from Electrik Kar :
LSD, is one of the most untoxic drugs you can get your hands on. There is the danger of a bad trip, for sure- but that will usually simply result in not wanting to do acid anymore. Benefits to society include- increased creativity and imagination and a general desire for peace. :hippy:

From experience, i can tell you that only one trip can mess up somebodies mind for a long time or even constantly. I'm not saying those people wouldn't have been "vulnerable" anyway, but LSD can trigger some stuff real bad.

It's never black and white... i had friends who did it quite a lot, and are still perfectly fine. Just saying...
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I simply googled for infomation regarding problems that can occur when regular use of Marijuana is involved. I read briefly through several links and found that one the most balanced and most detailed. As I've said, I'm not an expert on drugs. But it seems like everyone is going down the "oh well there's nothing official so let's do it it makes me look cool" rather than the "woah hang on there is evidence to suggest, even though it's nothing concrete, i don't want to possibly harm myself so i'm going to be a mature person and say no"

Again sorry my links aren't up to the standard desired.

I think you'll find most people do it for fun, not because they're "cool"
Quote from 510N3D :Do i have to understand the comment of yours as a lack of self control or something?

Actually the opposite. Believe it or not I never drank a drop of alcohol in my life (well, except when it was in medicine).
Quote from The Moose :Where has anybody suggested it makes them look cool? You're just pulling this stuff out of your arse again.

..and now it's mature to say no is it? I hope you never drink alcohol. That makes people far more immature than smoking a joint ever has.

Really, your entitled to your opinion of course, but frankly you're talking a load of shite.

I drink alcohol. Difference is, I know what it will do to me, and I know my limits. I don't go over them. (and it's legal!!) I can thank my Dad for that, allowing me to have some when I was younger. Idea was I wasn't going to go out when I'm 18 and get lashed every night like the current generations of binge-drinkers. I got addicted to alcohol once because of depression, and it wasn't a good thing. I won't be getting re-addicted.

But it's funny, don't you think, people are like "yeah i smoke/smoked marijuana". Cool? Wanna be doing stuff illegal and possibly harming yourself, go ahead.

Klutch, I'm sure that there are plenty of other things that people can do that are fun (for example football with freinds or something, both fun and excerize), but people are like "NO MUST SMOKE".

People can do what they like in their lives, but I'm completely anti-drug.
Quote :It's never black and white... i had friends who did it quite a lot, and are still perfectly fine. Just saying...

I would (maybe) put cannabis lower down on the list than LSD. LSD, no matter which way you slice it, is a much more powerful drug than pot. If you rate it simply in terms of addictiveness and toxicity, it shouldn't even be on that list, but there's a risk nevertheless.
Quote :People can do what they like in their lives, but I'm completely anti-drug.

You're probably doing more harm to yourself by drinking instead of smoking pot, but yeah- you can do what you like.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Klutch, I'm sure that there are plenty of other things that people can do that are fun (for example football with freinds or something, both fun and excerize), but people are like "NO MUST SMOKE".

People can do what they like in their lives, but I'm completely anti-drug.

Some people don't enjoy football?
Drugs are an interesting experience, and i honestly think people should try them atleast once.

Theres plenty other activities i like doing. But if i feel like relaxing for the evening with a few friends with some weed, why not?

If i feel like dancing all night on ecstacy, why not?

Its not to say doing those activities WITHOUT drugs isn't still interesting. It just makes them much better.
Quote from Electrik Kar :You're probably doing more harm to yourself by drinking instead of smoking pot, but yeah- you can do what you like.

May be true, I may consume.. 2-4 units a week (that's like 1 - 2 pints)

I was told in small amounts it actually benefits, but yeah. At least I know what can go wrong lol
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
But it's funny, don't you think, people are like "yeah i smoke/smoked marijuana". Cool? Wanna be doing stuff illegal and possibly harming yourself, go ahead.

alcohol was also Illegal at one stage.
how's about we do something legal and harm ourselves, like drive a car accross black ice. or maybe enter a 12 round match against amir kahn?
i know, lets go clubbing where the club has music blairing out of the speakers at over 10k watts.
how's about we do something really cool like attempt a double backflip on a 250cc motox bike?
you see, there's alot more in life that can do alot more "harm" to you and is completely legal.
and to think that people smoke pot because it's "cool" shows how very little you know about the subject.
just because you think you know what can go wrong when doing something. it doesn't mean you have a better chance of survival. just because something is legal, it doesn't mean it's good for you. ciggarette over some vodka anyone?
Quote :I may consume.. 2-4 units a week (that's like 1 - 2 pints)

Don't worry about it then.

Haha
Quote from mrodgers :Hey th84, did you check out his link? Straight from the Scholastic newsletter. We must have skipped that day of school that they handed out this in the newsletter. Had we read that, I'm sure both of our lives would have been completely different through high school and the few years after (hmm, I guess a bit longer for you, heh?)

No, I didn't pay a bit of attention to his link. I didn't really see the need after reading his first couple of comments. As I said, it sounded like something off of a government approved infomercial. Now that I have read the link he provided, (thanks a lot Mike :razz my suspicions are confirmed.

And yes, it was/is a good while longer.

I find it rather comical that someone can condemn pot and all who use it, but then say how he had a alcohol problem due to depression, but still makes the decision to continue to drink. Are you sure you "know your limits"?

If alcohol is something you enjoy doing to relax, kudos to you! It is no different than smoking a fat one after I get home from my 12 hr work day. The only difference is the government has decided that one is taxable, and the other isn't.

Oh, I almost forgot, I have never smoked pot because I thought it was cool.

Marijuana and me
(336 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG