The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
Quote from chanoman315 :get a life

What's your problem? If you've got issues with Bose sort them out through pm's. If you've got issues with people playing GTA 4 in general, stay out of this thread. Someone asked for screenshots, Bose was kind enough to post some.

On topic, I tried the multiplayer last night for the first time (console, of course). Some games were pretty fun, others not so much. I only tried the Cops 'n Crooks and Mafiya Work. As with any multiplayer game the experience you get depends greatly on the other players. In Cops 'n Crooks you can have a lot of fun if there's enough people on, the teams are somewhat balanced and the people in your team actually have a clue as to what the goal of the game is, and if they're teamplayers. That wasn't always the case, though. I'll definitely be doing it again, maybe try some other game modes as well.
GTA IV multiplayer is GREAT fun, I have had some of the best online fun and larfs I have every had on GTA IV.

I was under the impression PC and console players could play together?.

As for all the other crapola, reading everything people have posted about GTA IV on the PC, the performance, crashes, jumping through hoops to get into multiplayer just re-inforces just what an intelligent decision I made to play these types of games on the xbox360.
Quote from danowat :As for all the other crapola, reading everything people have posted about GTA IV on the PC, the performance, crashes, jumping through hoops to get into multiplayer just re-inforces just what an intelligent decision I made to play these types of games on the xbox360.

I'm with you on that one. A friend of mine bought GTA IV for the PC but I warned him off it because of the trouble that I've seen, so he got himself an Xbox 360 lol So he don't have to worry about crashes and compatibility issues.
Quote from Hyperactive :roffle moment for today: http://pc.ign.com/articles/936/936304p3.html

AA is DX10
"Why can't you actually through the graphics menu adjust AA (anti-aliasing)?:
Early on we decided we weren't going to support DirectX 10. We were just going to work on increasing the visual quality with what we had with DirectX 9. If we had DirectX 10 support we could have had the AA in there, but we don't have any"

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

I was rofling on the floor when they got to the part where they speak about how bigger resolution scales teh detail up

I laughed at that too, but apparently you can't have HDR lighting (or whatever lighting they use) and AA on DX9. I think Far Cry 2 suffered from this too - I am aware one of the other recent big releases did anyway. only DX10 supports AA AND HDR lighting.
Quote from mr_x :I laughed at that too, but apparently you can't have HDR lighting (or whatever lighting they use) and AA on DX9. I think Far Cry 2 suffered from this too - I am aware one of the other recent big releases did anyway. only DX10 supports AA AND HDR lighting.

Odd, Fallout3 under DX9 supports both at the same time just fine. I also recall playing some indy game that did much the same. I doubt it's a DX version issue.
Quote from danowat :GTA IV multiplayer is GREAT fun, I have had some of the best online fun and larfs I have every had on GTA IV.

I was under the impression PC and console players could play together?.

As for all the other crapola, reading everything people have posted about GTA IV on the PC, the performance, crashes, jumping through hoops to get into multiplayer just re-inforces just what an intelligent decision I made to play these types of games on the xbox360.

Indeed thats wjy i have it on my Xbox360
Quote from chanoman315 :get a life

What's your problem dude! i only posted 2 pics! seriously, why do i need to get a life

Quote from obsolum :What's your problem? If you've got issues with Bose sort them out through pm's. If you've got issues with people playing GTA 4 in general, stay out of this thread. Someone asked for screenshots, Bose was kind enough to post some.

thank you.

Back to topic. I agree it doesn't look that good. Will there be any Graphics improvements on the new patch? like AA orso?
Quote from mr_x :I laughed at that too, but apparently you can't have HDR lighting (or whatever lighting they use) and AA on DX9. I think Far Cry 2 suffered from this too - I am aware one of the other recent big releases did anyway. only DX10 supports AA AND HDR lighting.

I asked my brother about that (he was a 3d engine programmer etc.) and he told me,
if I recall it correclty, it has to do something with the way GTA IV renders the image.
He said something about textures, but I didn't quite understand him

Anyway, HDR and AA are compatible in DX9. just this one case is death for AA and R* choosed to go that way lol
Quote from danowat :just re-inforces just what an intelligent decision I made to play these types of games on the xbox360.

Fanboy much? You could've just say consoles, not specific one..
Quote from thisnameistaken :What's "dynamic" about the world? Could you explain that for me? I haven't noticed anything about the world that has changed while I've been playing it. There's a day/night cycle and it rains sometimes, that's about it. I think all those things happened in GTA3 too.

Just look at the streets of San Andreas and GTA 4. In SA, the streets are boring walls of repeating textures, filled with cloned zombie pedestrians and zombie cars. In GTA 4 the streets are much more alive. People actually walk down a street in a somewhat normal way, you don't see 20 identical pedestrians in a single street, people are no fully pre-animated "wooden" models and cars behave much less stupid. Pedestrians actually call the police if they see you stealing a car or shooting at someone.
Quote from BlackEye : HRD and AA are compatible in DX9

You meant HDR i think? anyways, yeah, AA is compatible in DX9, so it's a kind of a fail that they need DX10 to have AA?
Quote from Bose321 :You meant HDR i think? anyways, yeah, AA is compatible in DX9, so it's a kind of a fail that they need DX10 to have AA?

Yeah, had many mistakes in that post (some much worse then that)

Should be ok now
Quote from Boris Lozac :Fanboy much? You could've just say consoles, not specific one..

I have both the PS3 and xbox360, I tend to prefer the xbox360, not 100% sure why, but it just feels like the better "gaming" system.

I tend to only get PS3 exclusives for my PS3, and get everything else on the xbox360
Quote from danowat :I have both the PS3 and xbox360, I tend to prefer the xbox360, not 100% sure why, but it just feels like the better "gaming" system.

I tend to only get PS3 exclusives for my PS3, and get everything else on the xbox360

Sure, i was just kidding i just can't grasp how can people buy such an unreliable system, and what strikes me even more, that you have to pay for online.. that's unbelieavable, to pay for a P2P system?

sorry for offopic, that "Consoles vs PC's" thread is gone so i had to say it here.. :P
Quote from Boris Lozac :Sure, i was just kidding i just can't grasp how can people buy such an unreliable system, and what strikes me even more, that you have to pay for online.. that's unbelieavable, to pay for a P2P system?

sorry for offopic, that "Consoles vs PC's" thread is gone so i had to say it here.. :P

Of course, the unrelability has been well documented, luckily I have had no issues in the 15 months I have had my xbox360 (touch wood )

As for XBL, yeah, it does suck it's a pay-for system, but it's £30 a year, it's never going to break the bank
Quote from danowat :
As for XBL, yeah, it does suck it's a pay-for system, but it's £30 a year, it's never going to break the bank

It's not the price (you can buy a game instead though), but it's that i don't want to pay for online play, that's like the most idiotic presedan, and people accepted it..
Everything has a price, I'd prefer my internet was free, but it's not
Quote from Boris Lozac :Sure, i was just kidding i just can't grasp how can people buy such an unreliable system,

Yeah I hear ya, PC's are definitely a lot more reliable to play games on Oh wait, I suddenly recall reading page upon page of posts of people having difficulties running GTA 4 Whereas I - like many other thousands of people - haven't had a single problem with my Xbox360 so far The idea that the Xbox360 is an unreliable console is totally unfounded and based on the reports of people who did have problems, mainly in the first months after the first versions were released. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that they are a minority, and that the more recent consoles are very reliable.

Quote from Boris Lozac :
and what strikes me even more, that you have to pay for online.. that's unbelieavable, to pay for a P2P system?

I've been thinking a lot about cancelling my Gold subscription for Xbox Live, especially because I rarely ever play online like I said before. But every time I come to the conclusion that it really isn't that expensive and that it's not even worth the effort of cancelling it. Plus, I find Xbox Live offers a nice experience, not only for online gaming but downloading demo's, trailers, chatting, etc...

Quote from Boris Lozac :

You could have just looked the other thread up Let's not bring the console-vs-pc debate here
Quote from obsolum :Yeah I hear ya, PC's are definitely a lot more reliable to play games on

I meant compared to PS3..

For the XBL, everyone says it's better, like you can hear and contact racist kids better then on PS3 but you won't ever see games like Wipeout HD, Trine, Flower and others on XBL, since there's a restriction of how large a game can be..

But let's drop it, on-topic, it's a shame what a POS software the GTA IV for PC is, if you do manage to have a hardware for it, you'll still spend days to get it working and i just can't be bothered with those stuff anymore, don't have the will for that..

Quote from xaotik :Odd, Fallout3 under DX9 supports both at the same time just fine. I also recall playing some indy game that did much the same. I doubt it's a DX version issue.

Another game is EVE online where you have the ioption to turn hdr on but on that case you can't force AA on unless you do some registry editing. One title that does support aa+hdr is oblivion and I think you can trick any game to have aa+hdr if you can make the game appear as oblivion to the driver that controls the AA and hdr. How to actually do it escapes me, here's the eve solution, dunno if it works with gta (doubt not):
http://myeve.eve-online.com/in ... eadID=906192&page=1#3
mmm EVE, im being made redundant this week so a lot of my online accounts are being put on hold. gotta get a now job and quick
i heard the patch will come today or tomorow on the AMD forums.

The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG