The online racing simulator
Nuscar cup: an oval race on the stock car mod
Hey guys, I was browsing through mod cars and stumbled upon the STOCK CAR 03 and I thought it would be fun to host an oval race with an actual stock car.

Event is going to happen on April 1st, 2022 at 6PM UTC
Track: Kyoto Ring Oval (KY1)
Car: STOCK CAR 03 (MOD)
Qualification: 1 hour (6pm to 7pm)
To qualify: complete 1 qualification lap
Race: 50 laps (150km)
Server link: lfs://join=NUSCAR%20cup/pass=not_nascar
Attached images
nuscar.png
what about rules ?
what about any informations ?
rules
Quote from Eclipsed :Rules:
* though this is just a fun race, so rule book won't be as long as race distance itself, but everyone should follow basic car-racing rules (like rules of clean racing) and keep sportsmanship in mind, so everyone can have clean racing fun in this event!
  • Respect BLUE FLAG - you may not interfere passing maneuver of lapping car! In qualification - you may not disturb passing car in any way.
  • Be careful at YELLOW FLAG - slow down if necesary, be ready to avoid crashed cars. Crashed drivers must make sure that their return to racing won't cause other incidents.
  • No shortcutting in any way. 2 wheels must be on track every time. Usually there will be a layout to prevent shortcutting - if so,moving objects (like posts,tyrestacks,bales) should not be touched for legal lap.
  • Don't cross the pitline with more than 2 wheels and make way for cars racing at full speed.
  • Be careful while racing, avoid any contacts with other cars. No crashing, ramming or any other unsportsmanlike behavior at any time.
  • Drivers with high and/or unstable ping will be asked to leave if not improving it.
  • No voting for restart/qualification/end race after qualification start (unless command is given to vote for start).
  • Chatting during race is not forbidden, but pressing binds and (especially - unnesecary) texting too often can result in penalty.
  • Not racing observers (including drivers who already have retired) may not use chat at all.
  • This is specifically an individual event - every driver has to drive himself,no driver swaps are allowed.
* every participant can recommend any changes to these simplified rules to make them better in any way, please report any mistakes found

In case you have any protests (crashing,blocking etc.) against somebody,please post them in this thread as soon as possible (best - right after race)! All protests will be reviewed and reckless drivers will be banned for futher events to keep clean and fair racing!

In case you timed out, crashed, run out of fuel and you have completed full 50% of race distance, please spectate and don't join again - replay will be analized with LFSstats and you will be added to final results! If you did rejoin in such situation, but still want to be added to results, you will have to inform event admins in server or post request in this thread.

The same ruleset applies to this race
Also, if at least 10 people qualify for the event, race will be started with rolling start procedure: cars follow the pace car for one lap without overtaking anyone, once the lap is complete, after the message GREEN FLAG appears in chat, race officially starts and cars can fully accelerate
Btw, if you're intersted in this event, even though registration isn't requred, I would appreciate, if you said so in this thread, so I can understand if anyone is going to participate, or is it worth it to contact simbroadcasts for this race, etc.
It will be a challenge considering the tyre heating issues, but I'm up for it.
Also, want to add, if you think that the race is too long, or, really, any other change is needed, please post it here
The issue is, tyres with this mod simply die (overheat) after 3-4 laps of fullspeed driving and nothing can really be done with it (we hit the limitation of the current tyre physics model I guess). Unless we go all intentionally at half pace to keep them alive for a little while.
Quote from michal 1279 :The issue is, tyres with this mod simply die (overheat) after 3-4 laps of fullspeed driving and nothing can really be done with it (we hit the limitation of the current tyre physics model I guess). Unless we go all intentionally at half pace to keep them alive for a little while.

Well, maybe we can leave it upon the drivers to manage the overheating tyres (it's up to the driver to decide to go half pace or to push hard but pitstop every 4 laps). If we do this, then race distance should be reduced by a lot

Or we can try and do some inSim trickery, something along the lines of
if (tyre_temp>threshold) {tyre_temp = acceptable_value;}

That said, I'm not familiar enough with inSim to tell if it's actually possible. Also a sudden jump in tyre temp is, probably, very disturbing, so it would have to be cleverly masked somehow

What do you think is better?
Quote from MrWave :Or we can try and do some inSim trickery, something along the lines of

That said, I'm not familiar enough with inSim to tell if it's actually possible. Also a sudden jump in tyre temp is, probably, very disturbing, so it would have to be cleverly masked somehow

You cannot do that with InSim.
Quote from mbutcher :You cannot do that with InSim.

Frown
So option one it is. I updated race distance in the first post
Quote from MrWave :Frown
So option one it is. I updated race distance in the first post

Or accept that managing tyre heat will be part of the challenge, unless an update to the mod can be made to improve it before then.
Quote from mbutcher :Or accept that managing tyre heat will be part of the challenge, unless an update to the mod can be made to improve it before then.

That's basically what we're doing, it's just that 100 laps would be just a bit longer, than an hour on full speed, and with tyre heat in the equation, race would become much longer than that, which I don't want.
Could you please clarify the start time? Thread opening post has 18:00 UTC, while in the LFS calendar the event is set for 17:00 UTC.

EDIT: weekly calendar just went public, with 18:00 UTC as the start time, like in the first post here in the thread.
Quote from MrWave :Well, maybe we can leave it upon the drivers to manage the overheating tyres (it's up to the driver to decide to go half pace or to push hard but pitstop every 4 laps). If we do this, then race distance should be reduced by a lot

Or we can try and do some inSim trickery, something along the lines of

We can run intake restrictions like nascar does with restrictors plates. Wouldn't that at least reduce tyre temperatures a little bit? Restrictor plates limit horsepower to about 400HP but i think 500 would be better. Also could we use a superspeedway style layout so we can all just race flat out without having to lift on the less banked corners?
Quote from Pengiyin :Also could we use a superspeedway style layout so we can all just race flat out without having to lift on the less banked corners?

I'm pretty sure that, in terms of official tracks, Kyoto ring is closer to being a superspeedway, than Rockingham, but, if you know a good custom layout, pls, share it here
Has anyone else ran test to see how the car does at 50 laps? With speed control ( Not running wide open all the time ) I have been able to go 20 laps, so a pit stop would be needed (just like a real race). A
restrictor plate would be the easy fix (the no skill needed fix ), or we can control our throttle manually!
Thank You Mr Wave for the great race! We will be there ! Much testing to do !
#18 - R-to
where is the serveR?????
server is hidden
qualifying starts in 4 minutes.
Host: Nuscar cup
pass: not_nascar
#21 - R-to
Nuscar competition REPLAY
Results
Qualification results:

Race results:

Congratulations to #16 J.Hautanen for winning the race
#228 T.Kauppinen and [TT]Jaspe came in close second and third respectively.
Podium:

Thanks to everyone, who participated, this was a really great race.

Replays of qualification and race are in attachments.
Attached images
NUSCAR_quali.png
NUSCAR_race.png
lfs_00000004.jpg
podium.png
Attached files
nuscar_quali.mpr - 7.3 MB - 124 views
nuscar_race.mpr - 5 MB - 131 views

Nuscar cup: an oval race on the stock car mod
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG