The online racing simulator
New Version 0.7A - Mods Support
(173 posts, closed, started )
Like anyone from "give me free stuff" people cares about business... Uh-hu
(They'll start to care ONLY if their own income depends on it)
Quote from NumberTwo :1. Upload a setup for a mod car
2. Go and change some setting on that setup, then save it
3. Setup is no more - and you also cant upload new setup with same name

I did it twice...happened both times.

It's now possible to upload your new (adjusted) setup. It'll replace the old one.

Your other report about changing settings (like version and access / classification I reckon?) I cannot reproduce however. So I'm not sure what happened there. Can you still reproduce that? If yes, can you let me know which setting you adjusted and on which setup file you tried that?
Quote from Scawen :

Yes you can but it will not be hosted on our own server. You must host it yourself (maybe at home or on a web server if you have one). When you start a host, you can see the InSim IP and port and connect any external InSim program to your server.

To see the InSim port after starting a host, you can visit https://www.lfs.net/hosting/admin

Or if you start an in-game host, you can look in the "options" screen and the InSim info is displayed there.

i think Airio isnt full functional in this version
-
(NumberTwo) DELETED by NumberTwo
Quote from Victor :It's now possible to upload your new (adjusted) setup. It'll replace the old one.

Your other report about changing settings (like version and access / classification I reckon?) I cannot reproduce however. So I'm not sure what happened there. Can you still reproduce that? If yes, can you let me know which setting you adjusted and on which setup file you tried that?

I made a recording of this, it sucks but i think you'll see what happens.

https://streamable.com/cos915
Sorry for the question but, Scavier team, when should we expect new progress reports
Any chance of CMX viewer being updated with same mods installing system? I assume licence check should be added too to avoid model ripping. Shrug
Without CMX viewer skinning mods of other people is really difficult...

Also,would be nice if mods creators would provide at least black mask and wireframe extracted by few clicks from LFS editor. Stretching map would be ideal.
@Rony:
Quote from Scawen :...My current plan is to add a viewer mode in the LFS garage which would be a lot like the CMX Viewer and you could look around any mod you have installed in there.

Useable skin template should really be requirement for approved mods imo.
Quote from Eclipsed :Any chance of CMX viewer being updated with same mods installing system? I assume licence check should be added too to avoid model ripping. Shrug
Without CMX viewer skinning mods of other people is really difficult...

Also,would be nice if mods creators would provide at least black mask and wireframe extracted by few clicks from LFS editor. Stretching map would be ideal.

CMX files are obsolete (not compatible with the new system). Scawen is working on a new solution. There is no current ETA for the new mode/system.
Well,mr Goodwood already linked to Scawen's post about future plans,so that was already enough as info. So we're kinda back in pre-CMXviewer times with skinning,which I actually never experienced before - save the skin in LFS folder and while being on track in shift+u mode,switch to high or low textures resolution to force LFS update textures...
Quote from Eclipsed :So we're kinda back in pre-CMXviewer times with skinning,which I actually never experienced before - save the skin in LFS folder and while being on track in shift+u mode,switch to high or low textures resolution to force LFS update textures...

Yes, at least for the mod cars and the updated RB4. For now the CMX viewer is still useful for viewing the other standard cars. I'm keen to begin skinning some of the newer content too.
wait, that reads a bit as if you do not know that it is possible to use the LFSeditor as viewer:
copy the files in mods\vehicles from LFS into the editor's folder.
Then load the vehicle and there is a "color" tab just like ingame where you can select a skin. There is also a "reload textures" button in button right (bit hidden) that reloads the skin.

It is bit cumbersome and spams some errors about missing textures and all the extra buttons clutter the screen...but better than ingame shift+u mode.
Scawen, is it possible to make ballast weights for "truck" vehicles exceed 200kgs? something along the lines of 5,000kg? or maybe make the ballast a % of total vehicle weight like gross/net?

Just trying to haul actual loads on [TC] lol
Has anyone noticed distortion on the engine sounds with the new version?

I'm not sure if I'm imagining things, but I usually race with the GTI and while revving I notice some distortion/clipping on part of the RPM range.

My audio settings are default, and the clipping option is enabled (default).

I might try the old version just to compare, but I'm pretty sure something changed.

Appreciate the update, still the best racing sim out there imho.

Thanks!
@nfrenay, I've noticed that too, but still not sure what is the cause.
When will it be available to purchase hosting in Brazil?
Was there any discussion about allowing user models for custom layout editor? It seems trivial (compared to car mods or user submitted tracks) to implement, yet opens a lot of fun possibilities.

Forgive me if it's already answered somewhere
Quote from vitaly_m :It seems trivial (compared to car mods or user submitted tracks) to implement, yet opens a lot of fun possibilities.

Forgive me if it's already answered somewhere

I forgive you, but my head nearly exploded when you said it seems trivial!

The amount of code would be absolute massive.

I'm not sure if you are a programmer, but what I've often noticed on the forum, is that people often seem to think that if they are able to conceive of an idea quite simply in their mind, then it must be super easy to code!

I reminds me of when I first sat at a computer in the 1970s. I thought, I'll make a space invaders game.

I typed:
Quote :MAKE SPACE INVADERS

The answer:
Quote :Syntax Error

Let's try again:
Quote :PLAY SPACE INVADERS

The answer:
Quote :Syntax Error

Then I realised, coding isn't as simple as thinking of an idea! Big grin
Quote from Scawen : [...]

You obviously forgot to add sudo in front of the make command Tongue

(couldn't resist)

Anyway: This patch is awesome, some very cool cars around to have fun with.
Trivial... reminds me of the current debacle of NFT-crypto-idiots thinking they can just get any content into any game... because it's "on the blockchain" Big grin
Quote from Scawen :I forgive you, but my head nearly exploded when you said it seems trivial!

Trivial doesn't mean easy. And for that matter, trivial idea might not be easy to implement, sure I might missed many potential loopholes that might appear Face -> palm

It's just my thinking was: we already have modeller and technically can load any model through car mod system and make it a layout object... Tilt

Anyway, it's something I been dreaming for a long time about, was just too excited to ask. Sorry!
That probably can be done after the new graphics update is released, which is very important!
Yeah that's the thing. I'm just trying to get this mods system 'finished' so I can do the tyre physics and we can release the new graphics system.

The idea of user-defined layout objects, it just brings up so many questions, would they be uploaded like mods, or maybe defined locally instead (transferred from server to guests). But maybe the better thing is really to get to a point where we could release a track editor. Well, it's not the same thing at all, although a track editor would be the proper solution to a lot of what people actually do with layouts.

So I hope you see, it's not a bad idea or anything like that. Just that for me it's not the time to think about adding a whole new system, while I have so many new systems already in development and not yet released.
Regarding "user-defined layout objects" - I'd say the current layouts system is fine,it just lacks few objects to make layouts better until a proper track editor gets in the actual working plans. We're been tricking around with speed bumps and various versions of concrete objects to create some proper curbing on turn insides,but nothing really works perfectly as both speedbumps and slab walls have the trait to cause damage to suspension (sometimes quite randomly) and concrete ramps as curbing are useful just on turns with rather high diameter and useless in for example in Westhill's roads where elevation is a factor.

I personally would like to see some extra objects in the same old layout editor before you start the journey of track editor creation/adaptation for mass usage. 1 meter short speed bumps and 2nd set of same speedbumps half as high would be a relativelly "simple" addition for starters,maybe the lower ones might be bendable. That alone would be a great addition to force drivers stay within designated turn and layout creators would not need to go full hardcore with walls. And maybe some trackside big objects like tribunes,trees and similar stuff could be useful as scenery,but that's least important stuff I guess.

Other suggestion regarding layouts - addition of dedicated spawn slots for objects,so we don't need an extra user to be a ball in a car football game. I hope I could throw an idea here.

And I'm risking to sound like a broken vinyl - with addition of the huge layout square environment,possibilities have grown,so an object limit rise would be very very welcome,might be even limited to layout square area which has almost no other objects around anyway. I would understand a limitation of moving objects like bales/tyres for sake of weaker PCs though.
This thread is closed

New Version 0.7A - Mods Support
(173 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG