The online racing simulator
New Version 0.7A - Mods Support
(173 posts, closed, started )
Quote from RC-Maus :Will there be an new dcon I mean dedicated server?
Or do u guys stick to rentals only from now on?

Just took all our servers down thinking it will be rentals only now.

Please see "Changes to hosting" in the first post.
Quote from Scawen :Please see "Changes to hosting" in the first post.

Just not Happy with it. Sorry
It was a pretty big decision, not taken lightly.

In the end, to do all that huge amount of work and simply donate it as a gift to the pirates, was too unappealing.
im pretty tilted cause i've been trying to install this update, didnt work out so i uninstalled whole game and it just doesnt go to any folders i try to make
Out of curiosity, what was the motivation behind the removal of the 'question mark'/meeting room feature and could it be related to the switch to rental-only hosting?
Quote from spinimini :im pretty tilted cause i've been trying to install this update, didnt work out so i uninstalled whole game and it just doesnt go to any folders i try to make

You shouldn't have to make any folders. If you could allow the installer to go to the recommended C:\LFS or similar then I think it should work, assuming you have a normal Windows PC.

Quote from rosewood2 :Out of curiosity, what was the motivation behind the removal of the 'question mark'/meeting room feature and could it be related to the switch to rental-only hosting?

It was related to a complete rewrite of the entire packet system and these packets were going to be hard to convert because of the way they interact with the master server. Also there was something about complication due to the mod names being unknown if you would be able to see the race progress. So with the multiple layers of complication, it became just one large obstacle in a very long and difficult path full of obstacles, that I needed to get to the end of as quickly as possible. So I removed that obstacle.

I know people like that feature so I'm wondering if it could be reinstated at some point, actually I mean rewritten without the whole meeting room aspect of it (that was rarely used). I wonder what the most important things are, is it just to know which people are on a server? Or is the race progression important? Actually listing the mods people are using wouldn't be easy.
Quote from Scawen :I know people like that feature so I'm wondering if it could be reinstated at some point, actually I mean rewritten without the whole meeting room aspect of it (that was rarely used). I wonder what the most important things are, is it just to know which people are on a server? Or is the race progression important? Actually listing the mods people are using wouldn't be easy.

As a non-racer I never gave much thought to the lap count aspect of it, but I'm certain it was very useful for some people. I mostly used it to see who was on a given server.

As far as the aspect of 'listing mods in use' is concerned, I think a good idea would be to put a placeholder MOD shorthand name along with a notice to the user that they should join the server if they want to see the exact mods that the people in it are using.
Quote from Scawen :Is it not possible to set deadzones using the controller's software? I seem to have a vague memory of this from the past.

Depends entirely on the controller. Some software has it, some don't, some don't have software at all (XBox controllers being the highest profile), some old controllers' software won't run any more but generic drivers still allow them to be used.
Doesnt even work for me. Install as usual, cant connect to master server, Cant close LFS after either just black screens me. Full Fresh install same issue black screen and no conn to master. Initially installed through server list
I haven't heard of anyone having connection problems. What message do you get when you can't connect to the master server? If you can't connect to the master I think you should have a look in your firewall to make sure LFS is allowed to connect to the internet. I haven't heard of any black screen issues. Is it the same if you exit LFS using the exit button or ALT+F4?
Quote from pagani123 :Doesnt even work for me. Install as usual, cant connect to master server, Cant close LFS after either just black screens me. Full Fresh install same issue black screen and no conn to master. Initially installed through server list

Possible firewall issue ? also make sure LFS.EXE has properly closed in task manager after updating, incase the restart function did'nt work
Quote from raidho36 :But then I realized that your monetization policy was to one-time charge for content packs, that's obviously an unsustainable approach for a game that's meant to exist for more than a year.

I love how you said this with a straight face, about a game that sustainably existed like this for 18 years!
Quote from raidho36 :It struck me as odd decision to prevent your own hosting. Then I remembered that you're an indie company so you need all the money you can get, so I figured being extra tight on piracy is fine. But then I realized that your monetization policy was to one-time charge for content packs, that's obviously an unsustainable approach for a game that's meant to exist for more than a year. So it makes complete sense that you'd try to take money from online players who are still playing. Again, you need that money and your current monetization model only profits off of new players, not sustained audience, and it's not like you can exactly just change one-time payments to annual subscriptions. So I guess having exclusive ability to host online servers and charging for access to them works well in lieu of having a game subscription. Calling it anti-piracy measure was basically just so that no one thinks it was a scummy move, wasn't it? Big grin It's not like you're nickel&diming like EA. Just be sure to make the server package downloadable when your company goes out, otherwise it'll become impossible to play online a perfectly good game.

I think you right.

Piracy.
What can stop pirate to do snif packet beetwen server and game then make your own dedicated server? Only spended time.
Quote from Scawen :I haven't heard of anyone having connection problems. What message do you get when you can't connect to the master server? If you can't connect to the master I think you should have a look in your firewall to make sure LFS is allowed to connect to the internet. I haven't heard of any black screen issues. Is it the same if you exit LFS using the exit button or ALT+F4?

Yeah using Bullguard and there’s nothing to say it’s being firewalled which is strange, showing it as sending out connection but receiving nothing.
Just the usual 3 points error Check connection. ISP preventing and server might be down I think it says. I’ll have to try it later see if anything’s changed when i get chance.

It’ll black screen from full window alt + f4. Black screen from a windowed alt + f4. Black screen from closing the window. Black screen from clicking exit lfs through lfs itself windowed and full screen. On the update and from a fresh install. Won’t close from/ in task manager either Suspect it’s something my end or me being a bit thick as I had 30 mins last night to have a quick few laps and didn’t know there was a new version etc so maybe I’ve missed something. But I’ll attempt it again this evening perhaps.
Quote from bishtop :Possible firewall issue ? also make sure LFS.EXE has properly closed in task manager after updating, incase the restart function did'nt work

Will add it to the list of things to check when I have a look later thanks
Quote from farcar :I love how you said this with a straight face, about a game that sustainably existed like this for 18 years!

Big grin

Quote from pagani123 :Will add it to the list of things to check when I have a look later thanks

And, at the risk of sounding like a stereotype technical support person... restart the PC. Smile
I Was a teen when I started play Lfs. Remained in demo until April this year, when my 9 years old boy asked a s1 license as a gift.

There was thousands of laps in Blackwood with uncountable friends.

I really understand that lfs needed to change to a new model, but was very sad to us get in the game and see all our favorite servers gone or changed to s3 license.

I know that a lot of people love mods, but we don’t care at all to it.

We hope that it will be a transitory situation and that soon we can go to all our favorite servers again.

Congratulations to this exceptional game!
I hope everyone knows, you can create a free server incredible simply. It's easier than ever before. You don't have to forward ports in firewalls or anything complicated like that.

- Multiplayer
- Start New Host
- Select Location
- Enter Name
- GO

I can't give any more instructions, because it's so simple.
What is the purpose of preventing S1 and S2 users from joining mod capable servers?

Surely it makes more sense to allow lower licenses to view unlicensed vehicles but not drive them - as has been the case since S1.
Quote from Scawen :I hope everyone knows, you can create a free server incredible simply. It's easier than ever before. You don't have to forward ports in firewalls or anything complicated like that.

- Multiplayer
- Start New Host
- Select Location
- Enter Name
- GO

I can't give any more instructions, because it's so simple.

When I try to start a server this way , the following message appears " The current rules do not allow you to start host " Picture of the message -> https://ibb.co/Gx08y70
Quote from RacerTiao :When I try to start a server this way , the following message appears " The current rules do not allow you to start host " Picture of the message -> https://ibb.co/Gx08y70

Thanks! It's a pity no-one mentioned this until now. Schwitz

This restriction has been removed and demo racers can now start a demo host.
Quote from Hitman8712 :What is the purpose of preventing S1 and S2 users from joining mod capable servers?

Surely it makes more sense to allow lower licenses to view unlicensed vehicles but not drive them - as has been the case since S1.

I understand the logic of your suggestion but that has never been the case. The reason it has never been the case, is that the decryption keys for the cars or tracks you don't have a license for, are not sent to your PC when unlocking.
Quote from Scawen :Thanks! It's a pity no-one mentioned this until now. Schwitz

This restriction has been removed and demo racers can now start a demo host.

Thank you very much. I managed to open the server now. Smile
Quote from Scawen :I understand the logic of your suggestion but that has never been the case. The reason it has never been the case, is that the decryption keys for the cars or tracks you don't have a license for, are not sent to your PC when unlocking.

Yep, but on PC we have encrypted keys for tracks and cars which will decrypted by some data from unlock. I know that S1 don't have keys for S2/S3 tracks and cars. Can you change model for unlock cars? Keys for driving.
If I right remember master server get cars which you use on ther track (when leave pit). You can lock choose car in garage for S1. When someone will hack the game and make possible select S2/S3 car then leave pitlane the master server get packet from dedicated server about it. You kick this man from dedicated server with any message (how you did this early for modding cars)
In new model of host no one can't hack dedicated server for skip this ckeck. Smile
You shouldn't have to make any folders. If you could allow the installer to go to the recommended C:\LFS or similar then I think it should work, assuming you have a normal Windows PC.

i've tried to installer to go to the C:\LFS and when the install is completed it just doesnt go anywhere i cant find it anywhere
This thread is closed

New Version 0.7A - Mods Support
(173 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG