The online racing simulator
Quote from szyszek :As the title says, I've just about had it. For some reason people think that you can only:

- race the GTR at either BL GP or AS NAT
- race the BF1 on either the oval or BL GP
- you can only drift with the LFR cars
- FOX can only be used at SO Classic.

Practically any time I go to an empty server to choose a different combo (let's say F08 @ Fe black, or AS Historic) I end up racing alone for 30 minutes waiting for someone to join.

Lately I found myself racing at the demo servers, because that's the only place where I can race the GTT with people (race, not drift). I'm HUGELY fed up with this.... sorry, but why are people so boring? Or afraid of new combos?

Come to think of it I'd rather play minesweeper than have another lap at as nat with the gtrs.

i get this aswell

i want more people in the fwd and on fe gold/black
I have tendency set up these not so often driven combos on our server for that simple reason I'm tired too with GTR and every day combos. Last evening/night I setted up XRG Fern bay sprint 2 on our server. I was happy to see server full in no time. Might go for lx4 today if I get a chance
Quote from the_angry_angel :If I remember correctly, theres the facility for server admins to rotate around a list of tracks. Its just not done. I'd really love to see this happen more often, rather than just staying on one track until an admin logs on and changes it manually. Not only would it solve this issue, but it may bring back some of that community spirit of sharing set's that I think we're missing...

There's an InSim app called Race Manager that will rotate tracks and cars automatically. I used to use it when I was running a server.

I find that all you need are two friends who are willing to join you for a non-standard track/car combo. It seems like three people is the magic number that a server needs before other people will log on and join. So, get two of your friends to buy LFS, pick a track/car combo you all like, and before you know it others will join your server. It worked for me!
If there is a way to dtermine which Combo would be well recieved, I'd gladly set 'our' server to this. I sit and wonder for some minutes which combo to set it up to daily, but end up setting it to training for the next league-race , as I never can figure out the popular combo pt. ( as it seems to change now and then ) and end up racing 'round alone. However, sometimes, I can see I hit a popular combo as people start entering right away after starting it up.
How to know ???
Quote from Tukko :I guess you mean "Netikka" oh those millions fun races around BL2R.. never got bored of that

you want something different szchyyyszcchek? check this out: http://eirc.free.fr/

I remember the Netikka servers back from ages ago :o
Always used to go there for some races, must've been in 0.2 I think?
I often raced on Nettika servers when i was still on demo. And that was 2 years ago, on 0.3.

And szyszek i totaly agree with you. GTR at Fern Bay is SUCH an immense blast, just because the track is so narrow it seems you're in BF1 on Aston. TBO could really be raced more, it's great fun trying to hold the ass in line in the XRT, trying to accelerate as fast and as neatly as possible in the FXO, trying just to keep up in the RB4! I also hate GTR at Aston National, i love GTR at BL1 though, it's my favourite combo. I don't play with the open wheelers, FOX is the most tempting out of them though.
Sorry for the double post, but on the way down to the TV (actually, i got hungry ) i thought, 'why not start a club?'. Anybody for OCC, Odd combo club?
Quote from Primoz :Sorry for the double post, but on the way down to the TV (actually, i got hungry ) i thought, 'why not start a club?'. Anybody for OCC, Odd combo club?

Good idea! Let's start with BF1 at Fern Black. Rollercoaster ride supreme!
You just have to kill the fun with the BF1...
#35 - Vain
We just need someone with a server to make a post in the events forum to start it up. Anyone?

Vain
I honestly like where this is heading

An OCC server sounds great if you ask me And surely, with like 300 empty servers it shouldn't be hard to find someone willing to help us out.
This could be worth trying, I mean what harm can be done?
Even if people tried the reversed configs of some of the tracks they would be amazed how nice some of them are. Like BL1R with fox or any aston reversed config with F08/GTRs/else.

I'm also a bit fed up seeing that 90% of GTR racers drive around as nat/blackwood when there are other choises too. And don't make me mention SO classic with anything. It is always massacre in T1/T2/T3.

insert command: /rem AS3,BL1,SO1
Are RLY RLY sure? y
Done!

EDIT: OCC sounds very nice. Though BF1 at FE black isn't fun or practical
Quote from Tukko :
check this out: http://eirc.free.fr/

That sounds interesting to some extent but... I think LFS offers us lots of variety. We just need to take advantage of that, we don't really need to take such "extreme measures" if you will (reffering to FXR on rallycross tracks :P)
Quote from szyszek :
- race the GTR at either BL GP or AS NAT
- race the BF1 on either the oval or BL GP
- you can only drift with the LFR cars
- FOX can only be used at SO Classic.

There's been good variety lately when I've gone on. Unfortunatley it's a rather frustrating experience with my broken wheel as anything other than FOX/TBO is almost impossible to control at high speed.
#41 - Goop
Here's something I tried to start a little while ago, chasing some variety. With this 'OCC' idea, it's great, but if you go too obscure (or un-fun) you'll never have too many people there.

I had pretty limited success with the idea, BUT, on a nice busy forum like this, with what seems to be a substantial amount of people wanting the same thing, it shouldn't be too hard.

So I'd suggest you start by getting some combination ideas, get a rough feel for the most popular ones, and then poll it, set it up, and see what happens. (No restarts, no mid-race joins, too, I reckon )
Just to add another 2p to your pot, I know where you're coming from.

I love racing the FXO, but if you filter the servers on those that allow it you'll find about 10 at any given time, most of which will have 0-2 people in. At any time there might be one or possible two that have enough people for a race.

Why does everyone have to use the fast cars to have fun? I find the FXO far more fun than the open wheelers, or the GTs. It's all about keeping the momentum up, rather than relying on blocking and point-n-squirt.
#43 - Smax
Had big fun tonight at SCCC in an LX4, ok so AS Club is a track I've driven lots of times before, but I don't remember racing the LX4 online before.

I was slow and fequently last as always but if I was really bothered about that I would have stopped playing this game ages ago.

I also had a blast at FE Green in the FO8 on the OWRL server. On both occasions there were at least 8 other people in the game.

I suppose it goes to show that the "unusual" combos are out there. Kudos to those setting up their servers for something other than the BF1 or the class 1 GTRs.
Had a few races in the GTRs at FE Gold REV some nights ago. I think it was a ProRacingRoom server. Great combo, lent itself to some great racing :up: I usually have good fun at the longer FE versions...
The XFR/UFRs at Westhill (or anywhere) make for great racing too. I'd like to see more servers running the little GTRs

GPL shared this same phenomenon for a long time - with all the hundreds of tracks available, you'd see most servers running either Monza or Watkins Glen, or cycling through the two. Many threads were started asking server bosses to have a bit more variety in their track choice. Didn't work But now with the 65 and 69 season mods people are a bit more adventurous with track choice.

I don't usually look for particular combos in LFS, I look for a server with maybe 3 or more people running a car I like. I often have to learn the track then & there but that's fine Means I get lots of new pbs
GTRs are very fun on SO Long, FE Black, surelly other shorter configs too, Kyoto is pactically unused (except for the Oval, but look at Tristan's sig for that ), the small GTRs are practically unused, that would have to be changed too. I haven't driven the FOX a lot but it is fun, it's not THAT fast in terms of top end speed, but go with it through corners, ooooooooh

EDIT: Seeing the LX6 in the 'top 5' places at the back (usability chart), i must say that car is very fun too. It has a bit of underseer sometimes now but oberall it's just so good. We have a team league using the LX6 and i've had many great battles in the last 4 races. A really nice and underused car.
As there are quite a lot of people who like to experiment with different combos, it should be possible to get those together for some racing events. Having all these people join the same server is a serious problem.

Perhaps it would be best to set up a 24/7 server or two that offer
- different selected (not random) combos for 12/24/xx hours
- a website / forum to vote for the next combination
- not-so popular combinations, and never one of the popular ones
- statistics per day and / or driver to make it even more attractive (best race, fastest lap, ...)

Something like a one-day racing event, every day

An official lfs world racing server that stayed on top of the list would be perfect
Quote from wollschaf :
- a website / forum to vote for the next combination

no, not that, please. let's keep this as simple as possible, a thread on this forum (or a small sub-sub-forum) would suffice IMO. i'd never be bothered to go register somewhere else, check my mail for activation codes etc. etc. (and i think i'm not the only one..?)

anyway, what we need is a server with this Race Manager app, so i guess this should be the first step - find someone who would "sacrifice" his server for the OCC.
I had this forum in mind, and the website I thought of was LFS World

Voting at different locations would create a huge development and management effort - if it was an official feature, the user database could be used to prevent multiple votes per user.
Some proposals:
- LX4/LX6/FOX/XRT/FXO/RB4 at some fern bay reversed config
- KY2/KY2R with the LRF
- KY3/KY3R with F08/BF1
- SO long/SO long R with anything
- rallycross with LRF
- BL1R with F08/FOX/XRT/FXO/RB4

If the occ kicks off some day, please make it that not all cars are allowed at the same time. And yes to mid race join. I don't want to end up spectating a race because I entered the server 5 seconds too late
Guys first things first....

We need a server, then we can arrange for some more details methinks...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG