The online racing simulator
#76 - SamH
Quite honestly, it's really nice to have one of our servers get some good use! It's a pleasure for me, no thanks needed
#77 - SamH
Quote from Mauni :I'd suggest to not give password for too many.

Oops!

I've stopped sending it out now! LOL! If it gets out of hand and it becomes apparent that people are abusing it, it's a simple change to make at my end. I do have a lot of faith in all the guys in this thread.. it's quite clear to me that everyone who's posted has their heart set on good and fair racing

It really only needs one guy to action the collective's preference so it's unlikely to be an issue as things stand as they are. That said, if you didn't get the password and you think you'll need it, PM me
Thanks a lot Sam! Great to see you not only decided to help us but already have everything up and running. That was really quick! Thanks again.
And I really hope I'll get that pedal spring ASAP, cause I have a feeling I'm missing out on large amounts of fun
Thanks Sam,now I only need to find the time to drive
To the guy that switched to BF1 today - again, respect the other racers m8

And as for the serv. I was really amazed tonight to see a FULL race with LRF at So unof1 rev. But also, sadly some wreckers came... I guess they only join servers with 10+ people.
I wouldn't necessarily call them wreckers. They did however demonstrate a severe lack of skill with LX6, probably the toughest car in LFS to master even with the new physics.

They don't know how to deal with reduced grip and no aerodynamic downforce yet.

But the LRF combo is something we should keep using IMO. It's underused but yet the most satisfying combo to master. Tons of fun.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Well i'v just finished racing in the server again and WOW some brilliant races. Server as i left was racing on Kyoto National Reverse with the LRF class. Times are trully amazing considering no one has raced there.

Pb's flying left right and center but the amount of enjoyment is trully the astonishing part.

I think if servers want to get used they should adopt this Odd Combo Club, seems to be working great!
Just excelent! I hardly race on public servers anymore but Im going to return for this again! Great races, plenty of action and the LX6 is just superb. I love that car now. I had plenty of fun today and I think this server was a great idea, thanks for the host
Yes Ky Nat Rev is really fun with the LRF's. Some great FZ vs. LX Battles going on. I'll definatly come back again.
And it was very nice to see people you see on the forums and "know", rather than just bunch of random letters
Had some of the best races since playing LFS on this server today.

Tried to go online after a few weeks today, but only the well known combos were running.
But than I saw a LRF-server with more than 5 racers, a miracle.

Never seen so many fast, fair and hard-fighting racers on one server, and I was just about to start a new thread about it, but then I found this one here

Attached a replay, which I think gives a good impression of the racing on this server.
Thanks to Sparkydave for those fights, amazing.:fence3d:

I will definetly come back to this server, whenever I've time for LFS.
Attached files
Sparkydave - KY2R.zip - 1.8 MB - 250 views
Another thing that would be cool is a Ventrilo or Teamspeak server specifically for this game server so that we Oddballs could voice chat with each other.
Great plan! Thanks for the server SamH :up: It's not up atm, but I hope to get in there one of these days
#89 - SamH
No sweat!

Anyone who's heard me sound off about our server recently will know we've had some issues with our provider randomly pulling wires out of our switch. It came to a head about a week ago, where I went absolutely ballistic over the phone to the guy's voicemail at 3am. He called me back the next day, where I went ballistic a 2nd time (I was on a roll by then). Since then the guy's been treading on eggshells

We've had a rough ride with the server recently, but been reluctant to move because we're on a 100Mbit cable to a switch on a 1Gbit line to the net, with just 20-1 contention. We can burst data at ludicrous speeds for the pittance we pay.

At least for tonight, the server is probably going to be unreliable. Our box isn't being restarted but the switch which provides its connectivity is being replaced/upgraded. All being well, tomorrow should see the beginning of a new era in ukct.net reliability. About bloody time, I might add.

It's the first time we've been told of it ahead of time, so I took advantage of the welcome message and advertised that it was happening on the servers. Sorry that the launch of the OCC is hampered.. it's just rough timing.
No wukkers :up:
mmmm and u wonder why demo people don't buy the game. lol.
i think this problem of all people playing same tracks and configs has more to do with, at any one time there are so little people playing. (keeping in mind that majority of them are demo)
i think LFS is gonna have to open up and add stuff to the game to try and attrack more people. until lfs gets around 5000 people playing on average. this problem i think will always be here. i just hope the devs watch the improvement forum.
Quote from szyszek :As the title says, I've just about had it. For some reason people think that you can only:

- race the GTR at either BL GP or AS NAT
- race the BF1 on either the oval or BL GP
- you can only drift with the LFR cars
- FOX can only be used at SO Classic.

Practically any time I go to an empty server to choose a different combo (let's say F08 @ Fe black, or AS Historic) I end up racing alone for 30 minutes waiting for someone to join.

Lately I found myself racing at the demo servers, because that's the only place where I can race the GTT with people (race, not drift). I'm HUGELY fed up with this.... sorry, but why are people so boring? Or afraid of new combos?

Come to think of it I'd rather play minesweeper than have another lap at as nat with the gtrs.

I thought this would be another stupid post but i agree with you mate.

Used to love FOX racing but so classic is freakin boring.
LRF cars are my favourite but every server i see is drift.
No servers have the F08 anymore. I managed to find one yesterday and it was a lot of fun. The cars have so much grip yet when you go over the limit they arent hard to keep on track.
[/rant]
Wow... the response to this thread is a really nice surprise. And more important: people had some good races, and that's what counts!
I'll definitely join tonight for some more.. maybe we'll decide on a new class of cars tonight? We'll see, as long as we keep it odd, hehe
Quote from szyszek :To the guy that switched to BF1 today - again, respect the other racers m8

And as for the serv. I was really amazed tonight to see a FULL race with LRF at So unof1 rev. But also, sadly some wreckers came... I guess they only join servers with 10+ people.

I could be the one reeking havoc, i was testing out the interface
Sorry, won't happen again.
Just read the whole thread, and am looking forward to looking for this OCC server in a few minutes (though being 3am I don't expect much heh). Very cool to see the thread turn into the start of something that looks to be pretty promising.

I play offline a lot because I'm still learning the ropes with the low-power cars, but when I do go online to try out my XFG skills all I can ever find is BL1 Lately in my spare time at work I've been lapping odd combos by myself on a private server on 56k. I've gotten the crazy notion to fill my LFSW stats with an actual worked-for PB for every possible combo, but I don't know if this is really possible, much less good for my sanity illepall We'll see...
Quote from Dumpy :I've gotten the crazy notion to fill my LFSW stats with an actual worked-for PB for every possible combo, but I don't know if this is really possible

blackman, kamo2000, poolek, simon623, szyszek, lukas@

Check the stats for these guys at LFSW. Yes, it is possible. Takes some time though. (For the curious people - due to the fact I wasn't able to find any races in LFS, I started to race by myself (sometimes with kamo, or poolek) to fill in the times). Glad I don't have to do that anymore, it does get boring after a while.
-
(kamo2000) DELETED by kamo2000
What do you think about having some longer races on one of those combos once in 1-2 weeks?

I would be interested in some 45 min. race, e.g. on a weekendevening with those OCC-drivers, should be a lot of fun.
I dont know if it was changed last night but server need more car slots, there was space for 23 connections but only 16 racers could be on the track, if the server can handle that it would be great.
That was only because we were racing on a sprint-track, which means no pits and only 16 drivers.
Quote from Blackout :I dont know if it was changed last night but server need more car slots, there was space for 23 connections but only 16 racers could be on the track, if the server can handle that it would be great.

It wasn't:- the server stayed full/nearly full up until I left at about 2am GMT. However I intend to force a change, either by altering the available cars or by asking one the the CCUK team to jump on this evening and arbitarily ending the race. The opening weekend for the OCC was great, lots of people connected and had some very good, very clean racing, but the server did spend far too much time running the SO sprint tracks, I'll be liasing with Sam and the rest of the CCUK admins to see if we can figure out a way to keep the game cycling through different combos so that it does not become bogged down running one thing.

I appreaciate that there is merit to the argument that if it proves popular then why change it, but the OCC is supposed to be about regularly trying the things that are not popular, rather than sticking with the same old stilted cliches.

Therefore for the early part of this week I would like to see the server running the F08/XRT&RB4/FXO and MRT on some of the less popular FE and KY combos.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG