The online racing simulator
TEST PATCH 0.6K2 (now K26)
(462 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Eclipsed :Well,if this topic has already started - how about complete server side setup limitations? Where server admin could access menu,where he can select allowed range to all possible settings (including the same TC,air restriction,ballast weight and even max fuel amount). Probably a lot of work,but could be very useful.

That would be a bit less effort if we can have insim packets for this. The best is to have ability to send an insim packet, which has minimum and maximum setting for each value of car setup for each driver (say, we send it when driver connects). That would be the most flexible way possible: you can make special championships when people can choose what to improve in the car, and also we can have custom cars that way, etc. Also it would be nice to have sliders in insim Wink

And basically it would be at least around 132 (setup file size) * 2 + 4 (header size) == 272 bytes size, which is already bigger than 256. That will require some (not too hard tbh) magic in insim format, since currently every packet has only 1 byte for size, so max size is 256.

Anyway, that does require a lot of work, and for those who really need such functionality, they could just RIP the set on the fly and spectate people if setup doesn't conform.
I think the discussed TC option is not bad, but unnecessary/weird. If you want to force TC on/off, something like FCV on/off on server side would be better, rather than this, me thinks
Quote from vitaly_m :You can set engine restriction and weight via insim. Look for IS_HCP packet in docs/insim.txt.

// The same restriction applies to all drivers using a particular car model

I'd want to set handicaps per driver, not per car.
One of the servers I used to race on (The GDC) had something similar implied via a custom insim, well the ballast side of things, although I assume if you can check ballast individually you can with restrictions also? The server had a ballast penalty system for driver errors. The insim would only let people join if they had the correct amount of ballast designated to them from the previous race/s.
Quote from GAVD999 :One of the servers I used to race on (The GDC) had something similar implied via a custom insim, well the ballast side of things, although I assume if you can check ballast individually you can with restrictions also? The server had a ballast penalty system for driver errors. The insim would only let people join if they had the correct amount of ballast designated to them from the previous race/s.

I know, our InSim program already deals with it this way. But I don't like realying on the user to comply the requirements. Plus being able to apply handicaps in real time opens a roster of possibilities.

Didn't want to start a debate in this thread anyway, I've never requested this in the right thread because I'm aware that we could do with the current tools, but it could be better, no doubt.
Test Patch 0.6K3 is available for download!
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/88821

Changes from 0.6K2 to 0.6K3 :

New button on game setup screen to clear single player start grid
Hold CTRL+SHIFT to show viewed car's player name beside time / fps
Hidden object removal is disabled when car is high above the track
Traction control can no longer be switched on if disabled in setup
Handbrake can no longer be used in single seater cars while moving

Fixes :

Colour adjusters looked wrong in Interface and Display options
Floating text above a lagging car was drawn without transparency
I've got a question unrelated to recent changes.
As somebody who uses high-res skin download from time to time, could it be possible to load skins from skins_y folder even when having standard-res skins selected for downloading? That way you could save up your remaining skin downloads for later (special events for example) and not having to download low-res skins which you already have in higher resolution.
Quote from Scawen :
Changes from 0.6K2 to 0.6K3 :
(...)
Hidden object removal is disabled when car is high above the track
(...)

Great!
Thanks for the update! Smile
This isn't strictly speaking test patch related, but since 0.6K (or maybe even before), I haven't been able to see the Anti-aliasing option in graphics settings. The option for mirror AA is there, but not the global one.
Modifying the value in cfg.txt appears to change the AA level, but the option doesn't seem to appear in game anymore.

Has anyone else noticed this?

http://i.imgur.com/pgr0lyq.png

Quote from Whiskey :I still dream of the day we can set handicap & restrictions [per player] through InSim xD

I'll add my vote to that request Wink
Showing for me Shrug

K3 handbrake warning bug.

I don't know what that message is doing there, maybe Wilk used the handbrake a couple of times .. I am sure it wasn't me because my screen was minimized Big grin

---
and it happened again while I was busy creating this message. Looks like its a global message repeated the amount of connections (x3) when someone leaves pitscreen?

MRT and FO8 have a handbrake anyway. I'm confused.
Attached images
kYc5FLX.jpg
lfs_handbrake.jpg
It's not there if you have Postprocessing enabled.

I just got my car stuck in a hole on Rockingham, seems to be some of edges slightly away from the track are not solid, especially the little green tarmac patches leading to paths.
Quote from Scawen :...
Handbrake can no longer be used in single seater cars while moving

GTR cars are still allowed to. Is it normal ? I thought this kind of car were not having a usable handbrake.
Quote from Flotch :GTR cars are still allowed to. Is it normal ? I thought this kind of car were not having a usable handbrake.

Real cars have handbrakes so why not be able to use them also if you disable the use of handbrakes for the other cars it could mess it up for rally also for drifters
Some racing cars such as V8 Supercars use a line lock system used to stop the car from rolling away when stationary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_lock

Perhaps the GTRs should have that instead of a real cable handbrake.
Quote from Degats :This isn't strictly speaking test patch related, but since 0.6K (or maybe even before), I haven't been able to see the Anti-aliasing option in graphics settings. The option for mirror AA is there, but not the global one.

Sounds like the post-processing shader is enabled in Misc options?

Quote from cargame.nl :K3 handbrake warning bug.

I don't know what that message is doing there, maybe Wilk used the handbrake a couple of times .. I am sure it wasn't me because my screen was minimized Big grin

I didn't think of that appearing for remote cars online! They are probably not using K3, and they are using a handbrake on a single seater, which is no longer allowed (except for parking).

Quote from PeterN :I just got my car stuck in a hole on Rockingham, seems to be some of edges slightly away from the track are not solid, especially the little green tarmac patches leading to paths.

Please can you post a screenshot or replay of this, so Eric can see where the hole is. Sometimes it is correctable by adjusting some of the track segments a bit. We just need to know as accurately as possible where it is.
Here's some shots from 2 separate locations I know about. There are multiple or long holes in each area. One give-away that there is something not right is that the shadow disappears briefly.

In the second pic the RB4 could not move Smile
Attached images
lfs_00000025.jpg
lfs_00000026.jpg
lfs_00000028.jpg
lfs_00000029.jpg
lfs_00000030.jpg
Quote from Scawen :and they are using a handbrake on a single seater, which is no longer allowed (except for parking).

Eeehh well, I think it happens as soon as someone is in the pit garage, because the handbrake is on directly when you are about to leave there. Which technically is parking but this message seem to appear on spectator screens nevertheless. When I leave the pit myself I don't get this message on the screen. I didn't asked but I am pretty sure these drivers didn't activate the handbrake themselves. It happened a third time when I was on that server with someone else and it got announced to me two times. I think when ten people are connected to the server that message appears also ten times Taped Shut ...

But if it is because people don't use K3 then this problem will fix itself with an official patch release hhmm...
Scawen, is it possible to disable vertical synchronisation in Rift direct mode? I bought a new dx11 graphics card, but can´t get a stable 75 fps in 0.6K. Between 50-75 fps only.
With my old GT 9800 and 0.6H (vsync off and extended mode) I got a stable 100 fps...
Quote from Scawen :Sounds like the post-processing shader is enabled in Misc options?

Ah, yes that's what did it.

It's interesting (and a little counter-intuitive) that the AA setting ingame is removed when post-process is on, but it's functionality is still there and adjustable in the config file.
So I got a couple of e-mails of removed hotlaps because of the use of handbrake. All of these were on FO8. Is only FO8 times removed so far, because I know I have used handbrake on other single-seaters too, but atleast so far it seems only FO8 times have been deleted atleast for me. Or is it just my head and I haven't actually used handbrake on other cars Big grin
Quote from Scawen :I have tried to reproduce this but I see my number all the time. I don't see the blank plate.

After 5-7 hotlaps on Rockingham.
EDIT
After a hotlap, go key 1(auto_save_replay) -> SHIFT + R! After, go key SHIFT + P and then press a button "spectators". After, join race.
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6K2 (now K26)
(462 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG