The online racing simulator
Quote from AdamW :You need a license, like just about any real track (except those based around public roads). The Nurburgring owners are all set up for it, they will also sell a set of detailed track elevation data to interested game developers (apparently, Papyrus (GPL), Polyphony (GT4) and whoever makes PGR all bought it). Don't know anything about pricing, though.

keep in mind that the nürburging u guys talk about so the "Nordschleife" with over 20km distance is nothing else then a PUBLIC ROAD everyone can drive there if they want to...the nordschleife is NO RACE-TRACK since a few years already...so that means that your information is wrong about buying a license...
the only special thing about the nordschleife is that it costs a fee to drive but it is still a PUBLIC ROAD...there are also speed limits on the nordschleife and the police makes controls there because it is not a closed track / racetrack anymore...

but anyway i would love to see the green hell in LFS especialy because "The Mother" is the best track ive ever been driving on
There are still races being held on Nordschelife. One is going to be in 2 weeks.
Quote :Make LFS available for modding and the community will add any circuits we want. Well I don't think we need a license if it's not official.

You can still get a cease & dessist order for a non-profit 3rd party mod, although the order goes to the modder not to the devs of LFS in such a case. Such actions are rare as it is bad publicity to leap on 'fan media' in such a way, although it never seems to bother Apple Computer Corp. for example. Generally speaking you are good to go if you keep it not for profit.

As LFS stands that meens making the game open to modding, rather than just allowing 'user submissions' (something i've been hoping for - see threads elsewhere) which get included into the game.

If LFS became an openly modded game I think that would ruin it. I much preffer the idea of the devs keeping tabs on what goes in to the game, their vision has not been bad so far, so why loose faith in it?
Yes, it was said many times, mods are no good. THere would be far too many tracks, different versions, etc. Online gaming would almost die probably.
#30 - Jakg
Quote from Becky Rose :You can still get a cease & dessist order for a non-profit 3rd party mod, although the order goes to the modder not to the devs of LFS in such a case. Such actions are rare as it is bad publicity to leap on 'fan media' in such a way, although it never seems to bother Apple Computer Corp. for example. Generally speaking you are good to go if you keep it not for profit.

As LFS stands that meens making the game open to modding, rather than just allowing 'user submissions' (something i've been hoping for - see threads elsewhere) which get included into the game.

If LFS became an openly modded game I think that would ruin it. I much preffer the idea of the devs keeping tabs on what goes in to the game, their vision has not been bad so far, so why loose faith in it?

i think you came up with the best idea of making tracks, but then sending them to the Devs and seeing if they like them
Maybe the Nordschleife in LfS isn't unreachable. A guy from the german lfs-community had an idea for collecting money to buy the license. The Devs make a new account and everyone who wants the Nordschleife, pays 18€ to this account. If there comes enaugh money together, they go and buy the license. And then they handle it like an add-on: everyone who wants the nordschleife, has to pay 18€. The guys who have already paid not of course
And if their is not enaugh money, these guys will get the s3 license from the pre-paid money.
I'd chew my own arm off to have the nordschleife in LFS.
Quote from SabersKunk :I'd chew my own arm off to have the nordschleife in LFS.

Maybe we should start a poll to see, who would pay 18€ for the track ...
Sounds like a good Idea. Before you start collecting anything I think there should be a OK from Scavier. Maybe they don´t want to have to do anything with the Nordschleife and then all that work would have been for nothing.
Quote from buedi :Sounds like a good Idea. Before you start collecting anything I think there should be a OK from Scavier. Maybe they don´t want to have to do anything with the Nordschleife and then all that work would have been for nothing.

Of course, and they should collect the money of course! Not anyone of the community.
But we should start a poll, WHO would pay for it.
It just tried it, but I don't really know how to make it in this forum o.O
Quote from RSchumacher :Maybe we should start a poll to see, who would pay 18€ for the track ...

I surely would.

Look at this Flight Simulator Shop

http://www.fspilotshop.com/ind ... 20&page=1&sort=3d

60$ for a 747 mod, and I know there are more expensive ones. We are used to free mods in the racing sim community, free stuff is great, but I think a quality work deserves some money

BTW, is that idea possible?, I mean, would the devs be interested in something like that? Maybe we are missing a great opportunity!!
Quote from Eldanor :I surely would.

Look at this Flight Simulator Shop

http://www.fspilotshop.com/ind ... 20&page=1&sort=3d

60$ for a 747 mod, and I know there are more expensive ones. We are used to free mods in the racing sim community, free stuff is great, but I think a quality work deserves some money

BTW, is that idea possible?, I mean, would the devs be interested in something like that? Maybe we are missing a great opportunity!!

I wrote an e-mail to victor So let's wait and drink some coffee
and btw ... I would also pay 36 euros for the track
Quote from RSchumacher :I wrote an e-mail to victor So let's wait and drink some coffee
and btw ... I would also pay 36 euros for the track

great!!
Answer from Victor:
Quote :Hi,

Interesting, but I can't really say anything useful about it atm. Making a track that big will take eric a loooong time, even when the whole track layout would be supplied digitally, ready to be imported.
It'd be nice to have it, but we have to weigh it against the time it will take to make it and some other things. And because atm we're still focussed on finishing S2, I can't say much useful about it.
But that doesn't matter - the idea can wait. Maybe we can pick it up in the future. No promises though. Also I'm not sure if it's fair to let the enthousiasts pay for something the rest will get for 'free'. I dunno, but it leaves a slightly sour taste. I just know there will be people who think 'let someone else pay, I will download it when it is there thank you very much', so just opening an account for this purpose may not be the best option.
In short : we'll see.

Regards,

Victor

I see two options:

- Make it a pay content addon ¿S2,5? LOL

- Open the account anyways and those who want to pay can do it, and let the rest who simply download burn in hell

Well, at least thw didn't say no! We will wait patiently if we have to
Quote from Becky Rose :You can still get a cease & dessist order for a non-profit 3rd party mod, although the order goes to the modder not to the devs of LFS in such a case. Such actions are rare as it is bad publicity to leap on 'fan media' in such a way, although it never seems to bother Apple Computer Corp. for example. Generally speaking you are good to go if you keep it not for profit.

And right away that makes me think about 1nsane. A guy (I forget his name, toxic I think) made the Grave Digger as a mod. The Grave Digger team then got their lawyers on the case, and he was forced to pull the mod from every website and never release it again. :/
The Ring is classified as a public toll road in Germany, NOT a corporation owned race track. Copyright is NOT a problem in this case.

However, LFS already has BMW branding on the current version, so they should negotiate and do a BMW Ring Taxi M5 addon too!!!!

I'm willing to pay more in order to play LFS on the most difficult track on earth. It's also pretty bumpy, which presents a challenge in setting up the suspension.
$hit, if you want bumpy, difficult and public then the 37 mile IOMTT course should do the trick when it's released with bikes in S3.

Seriously though, the ring would be great and worth a few bucks from me as a single track buy.

(about that IOMTT bit and bikes...I was serious and it would be better than the ring. )
Hi all, first post! Been playing demo for a few days and just got my S2 license moments ago!

Just wanted to say that I too would give up a limb for LFS: Nurburgring - but not an arm I think; probably my left leg instead. :ambulance
#45 - Gunn
Imagine a server with 10 players, once pitted you would be lucky to see another car for the rest of the race.
Well, if you stay in the pits, you wiould get to see more cars.
Quote from Gunn :Imagine a server with 10 players, once pitted you would be lucky to see another car for the rest of the race.

This would of course be a track for a 24h-race or any not public competitions. But for 24h-race it would be absolutly great.
I don't know, if copyright would be a problem ... but I think so. And I don't know, if it's a public road here in germany o.O
Anyway, rebuilding the F1-tracks Albert Park (Australia), Monaco und the old Austrian racetrack (doesn't exist any more) (*me loves the austrian f1-track)
I don't really jump on "the ring" bandwagon, but I had a thought. One problem I see, beings it's so long is you are on the servers, coming in pretty close to finishing, and "Restart in ... 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...." That would be enough to drive you crazy! Also, I think the Start/Finish line would need to be separate from where the starting position is. That way you can get a good lap in right from the start, rather than running an entire loooooooong warmup lap to get your full speed race lap in. For on-server hotlapping, because that is what this track would be. How do other sims do this for the beginning of a lap?
Quote from RSchumacher :This would of course be a track for a 24h-race or any not public competitions. But for 24h-race it would be absolutly great.
I don't know, if copyright would be a problem ... but I think so. And I don't know, if it's a public road here in germany o.O
Anyway, rebuilding the F1-tracks Albert Park (Australia), Monaco und the old Austrian racetrack (doesn't exist any more) (*me loves the austrian f1-track)

SvO rules apply, yes it's public road
Quote from Michel 4AGE :SvO rules apply, yes it's public road

Then it wouldn't cost anything ... so after S2, we wanna see the Nordschleife - Addon

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG