The online racing simulator
Aerial track maps - finally figured out a decent way to do them.
I know that a lot of people were wanting maps that would show an aerial view of the tracks along with the details, brake markers, etc. I think I finally figured out a way to do it. This took me a few hours of experimentation, but I think I finally have it nailed down. I've only done one track so far - South City Sprint Track 2, since it's one of the shortest tracks, yet still very complex with lots of scenery. I'm going to give some of the other tracks a go. Let me know what you guys think.

http://i14.photobucket.com/alb ... outhCity-SprintTrack2.jpg
nicely done, you have way more patience than i do
i tried to use the "overhead screenshot" method to make my own once, but promptly gave up...
Well, it took me a while to get the method down, but now that I've figured it out I think I can crank out the smaller tracks in under an hour each. I just started Fern Bay Club (1.0 miles). We'll see how long it takes...
Quote from KiDCoDEa :what i really want, is a blimp realtime aerial view exactly like that.

greets for ya patience.

I'd like to have a blimp view as well, but I don't think that's something we'll see for a very long time. I can imagine it would be very memory intensive and would require some serious LOD tweaking.
Quote from Cue-Ball :I'd like to have a blimp view as well, but I don't think that's something we'll see for a very long time. I can imagine it would be very memory intensive and would require some serious LOD tweaking.

Doesn't have to be. You could use a 2d-texture as map and small sprites as blibs, and voilá, you'd have a overhead view with blimps.
Quote from Cue-Ball :I'd like to have a blimp view as well, but I don't think that's something we'll see for a very long time. I can imagine it would be very memory intensive and would require some serious LOD tweaking.

its not that hard believe me
in fact i....

btw n2003 has that
Wow, that looks cool, great work! I'd like to add such maps to the LFSWiki
One small remark (other than that, great work!):

You seem to have forgotten to turn off screen info on a series of shots, makes for some mildly disturbing white dot thingies on your map.
Sir i think there is a slightly easier way! you just used the overhead camera which turns with the car am i right?.

instead switch to Shift-U custom cam, press V to go into overhead, and adjust the height up and the FOV. this camera will maintain a constant angle relative to the world, with the car turning and heading in other directions depending on where it is.. if you know what i mean. therefor all the pics would line up squarely
Quote from Takumi_Project.d :Sir i think there is a slightly easier way! you just used the overhead camera which turns with the car am i right?.

instead switch to Shift-U custom cam, press V to go into overhead, and adjust the height up and the FOV. this camera will maintain a constant angle relative to the world, with the car turning and heading in other directions depending on where it is.. if you know what i mean. therefor all the pics would line up squarely

exactly, that's what I was thinking! I've much respect for your patience for this, very cool track maps!
Well, there is of course an even easier way of getting a good top-down view of a track with the lines and braking points...

a replay analyser...

But that doesn't produce pictures as pretty as yours, Cue-Ball.
Quote from Takumi_Project.d :Sir i think there is a slightly easier way! you just used the overhead camera which turns with the car am i right?.

That's an excellent idea! I'll give that a shot when I do the next map.

I'm also going to turn off all the track info and try to make the car and driver as invisible as possible. I started work on the second track last night but had a few problems so I didn't get it finished. I had two program malfunctions and ran out of memory twice. Hopefully today I'll be able to finish up the 2nd map and make the car a little less visible. It looks like I'm going to have to do the tracks in sections though. Doing the whole track at once takes up too much memory.
#14 - Gunn
I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your efforts, looking good so far.
Attached images
SOSPRINT2.jpg
Man, thats amazing, nice work! its gonna help me
I already thought he used the overhead User-camera, thought that'd be the most logical.
But eh you manually connected all the screenshots? Wow!
Google search for a screencapture program. I have one I got from a flight simulator site, but it captures in bmp format. But instead of "print screen" button copying to the clipboard, it saves the capture as a bmp file in the programs directory. I'm pretty sure there is a program that captures and saves as a jpg file.But I attached the program I have for you. It's real small, only 26kb. Just unzip it to a folder, it doesn't need installing. Just run it from the exe in the folder. Really cool to have running in the background and be able to fire off screenshots while you're racing since you don't have to open up a graphics program to paste from the clipboard. It will work with LFS in full screen also so you don't get the annoying windows task bar in the bottom of the screenshot.
Attached files
fsscreen.zip - 26 KB - 313 views
#18 - tpa
Would it be possible to use images like that as a base for smx files? That would definatly look a lot nicer than what the replay analyzers and LFS Spectator use currently.
Well, I've been working on Blackwood (I don't have a registered copy here at work) ALL DAY and can't get the damn thing to work. Every time I try the program that compiles the files crashes on me. I didn't have this many problems at home, so I'll just have to try again once I get off work.

If anyone wants to try to replicate my results, here's how I'm doing it...

You'll need LFS, Fraps, IrfanView, and Autostitch. All of these can be downloaded for free off the web (with the exception of LFS full needing to be registered if you want to do anything other than Blackwood).

Open Fraps and go to the Screenshots tab. Change the key used to something like NumLock (F10 will interfere with LFS). Set it to record a new snapshot every 1 second.
Open LFS and pick the track you want to use. Start a single player race and join. Immediately go to the pits. This will get your car off the track so that there's no "ghost car" like there was in my first picture in the original post.
Hit Shift-F to turn off all the extra displays. Hit Shift-U to change to free camera mode. Hit V to change to overhead view. Hold Ctl+Up Arrow to get the camera as high as possible (it doesn't go anywhere near as high as I would like).
Position your camera near the start line of the track and press NumLock to start taking screenshots. Move your camera across the track, back and forth from edge to edge. Try to overlap each screenshot (1 second interval) with the last one by about one third. This has to be done for the pictures to successfully stitch. You want to move back and forth across the track for two reasons: 1) to make sure the pictures stitch properly 2) to make sure you get the whole track, not just the center of the driving line.
Cover as much area as you can in three minutes, then hit NumLock to stop the screen capture and exit LFS.
You'll have to use a program like IrfanView to batch edit all the .bmp files. You want to change them into .jpg files and decrease them in size to about 400x300.
Once you have all the files converted and resized, fire up AutoStitch. The default settings work pretty well, so there's no need to adjust them. Just select all the jpgs you want to stitch using the File menu and it will do most of the work. Note that it has a 200 image limitation. You'll probably hit a memory wall before you get 200 images to work unless you have more than 512MB of RAM. If everything works successfully, you'll have a file called pano.jpg in your screenshots directory. You'll probably have to capture and stitch small parts of the track at a time, then stitch all of those together at the end. I suggest working with 50 screenshots at a time or less. It really sucks to get 90% of the way done, then run out of memory and have to start over.

So, this is how I've been doing it. It works pretty well as long as you don't push your luck. Feel free to give this a shot and post your results if you try it.
lol looks pretty weird
Attached images
weird.JPG
Quote from GeForz :lol looks pretty weird

Try turning off autostraighten in AutoStitch.
oh right, much better
Attached images
better.JPG
Much better! Now do the rest of the track.

If you overlap your images a bit more you might avoid the glitches like you have at the very bottom of your image. I still find that the replay footage gives the most accurate results, but then the car is in every frame.
Quote from Cue-Ball :Much better! Now do the rest of the track.

If you overlap your images a bit more you might avoid the glitches like you have at the very bottom of your image. I still find that the replay footage gives the most accurate results, but then the car is in every frame.

i did a bit more... ok i tried

But the program doesn't seem to work pretty good with pitlanes
Attached images
weird2.JPG
If you mess with some of the options in AutoStitch you might get better results. Overlapping seems to be the most important, but other than that you can increase the Alpha and Beta values and the SIFT image size values. It takes some tweaking to get good results, and each time seems to be different.

Like I said, I still get the best results from screenshotting a replay, but then you have the car in all the shots and you miss the edges of the track. I wish there were some way to just hack the camera height of the free-roam camera. That would take care of the whole problem right there.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG