The online racing simulator
iRacing - chapter III
(1141 posts, started )
Quote from CrAZySkyPimp :It's different from person to person though, some make it faster and easier then others, some keeps ending up in wrecks (which seems to be the case with Franky from what I can read), to those the "get out of the rookie races asap" advice is a good advice. Get yourself in to the class C races and then start grinding iRating.

As a last resort I agree. I just get annoyed when I see this first rule bullshit.

After the release of the mx5 I spent 2 seasons racing only in the rookie series and had many great races. It's the lower splits that are a nightmare.

Quote from PMD9409 :So basically can't tell if trolling or if you are being that ignorant.

So can't tell if I'm being an **** or being an ****?

Neither. (Though maybe ignorant has a different meaning in this context in US.) Admittedly I forgot that fast track didn't exist in 2008.

I was trying to make light of it. Obviously it didn't come across that way. Sorry

I, and many people I know got through rookie since fast track without starting from the pits.

With all that said, I will stand by my opinion that it is bad advice if you are safe and have half a brain.
Quote from Mustangman759 :On oval atleast the mods and sks are clean series, anyone with driving sense and an above basic set could pull away and gain sr and iR...

One question, why every single llm guy is driving oval. It doesn't even count on racing. What's the point of driving around a circle?
Quote from CardsetCrazy :One question, why every single llm guy is driving oval. It doesn't even count on racing. What's the point of driving around a circle?

Because if I wanted to drive road I could drive LFS or Assetto Corsa?
That and I like going extremely fast in an indycar
Quote from menantoll :So can't tell if I'm being an **** or being an ****?

Neither. (Though maybe ignorant has a different meaning in this context in US.)

Ignorant: lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
Quote :
Admittedly I forgot that fast track didn't exist in 2008.

Wasn't really going for an insult, just wondering how on Earth you were trying to make that comparison.

Personally, iRating doesn't mean all that much at that low of a level. Gaining iRating in D class would probably be easier than gaining in rookie, as the chances of you being taken out have dropped some. You can start from the pits and still either gain iRating or remain the same. In most rookie races you'll have drivers dropping like rocks, allowing you to gain positions. It only takes four races I believe and you can be out of rookie, so why not take that opportunity, evening out your iRating as your worst possible outcome and just move to D? If you believe you won't be gaining iRating at D class level, then it isn't entirely other cars to blame.

When quite a few of my team mates were moving from LFS to iRacing, they went from Rookie to A class in 3-4 days, only buying the Star Mazda outside of the F1 car. They got out of rookie ASAP, and then gained all their iRating using the Star Mazda so they could reach the top split races in F1 by the next weekend. Trying to juice everything out of the rookie class just isn't worth it in the end.
Quote from DeKo :I agree and it's a damn shame, I love Proto/GT and the HPD more than anything, but nobody in their right mind will drive the C6R or the FGT anymore, and the HPD won't get the semi-decent tyres for another 5 months or so, it probably won't recover until grand-am and P/GT are thrown into the same series.

Why "semi-decent"? The only complaint I've heard on NTMv5 is McLaren behaviour on kerbs. But for the rest it seemed to be just great. Did any other issue emerge during last month?
Quote from PMD9409 :Ignorant: lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.

Wasn't really going for an insult, just wondering how on Earth you were trying to make that comparison.

Personally, iRating doesn't mean all that much at that low of a level. Gaining iRating in D class would probably be easier than gaining in rookie, as the chances of you being taken out have dropped some. You can start from the pits and still either gain iRating or remain the same. In most rookie races you'll have drivers dropping like rocks, allowing you to gain positions. It only takes four races I believe and you can be out of rookie, so why not take that opportunity, evening out your iRating as your worst possible outcome and just move to D? If you believe you won't be gaining iRating at D class level, then it isn't entirely other cars to blame.

When quite a few of my team mates were moving from LFS to iRacing, they went from Rookie to A class in 3-4 days, only buying the Star Mazda outside of the F1 car. They got out of rookie ASAP, and then gained all their iRating using the Star Mazda so they could reach the top split races in F1 by the next weekend. Trying to juice everything out of the rookie class just isn't worth it in the end.

So I guess I'm the only LFSer that doesn't mind sitting on high-Class C and being matchmaked with Class A drivers, because I'm interested in the RUF Cup anyway. I thought about going up to Class A just for the F1 league, but meh... I don't think I can do anything significiant there.
Quote from PMD9409 :Ignorant: lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.

The word ignorant seems to have changed meaning over the years. It use to be to ignore.

Quote from wikipedia :... is often used as an insult to describe individuals who deliberately ignore or disregard important information or facts.

hence my "****" comment.

Anyway it's all good. A misunderstanding

I also understand what you mean from your other 2 paragraphs and maybe I need to change my "Terrible advice" to "Not always the best advice"
Quote from CardsetCrazy :One question, why every single llm guy is driving oval. It doesn't even count on racing. What's the point of driving around a circle?

Trust me, oval racing is better than it looks. Also, not a big fan of the road racing side of iRacing.
Quote from carfetish :Why "semi-decent"? The only complaint I've heard on NTMv5 is McLaren behaviour on kerbs. But for the rest it seemed to be just great. Did any other issue emerge during last month?

It drives much better than anything they've had before, it just doesn't drive as good as AC in my opinion. It's also missing a ton of stuff, including flat spots, real wear etc.

I don't even have iRacing
Quote from Kristi :So I guess I'm the only LFSer that doesn't mind sitting on high-Class C and being matchmaked with Class A drivers, because I'm interested in the RUF Cup anyway. I thought about going up to Class A just for the F1 league, but meh... I don't think I can do anything significiant there.

Nah, I think many do that. If you don't plan on driving the F1 car, why have an A class license?
Quote from DeKo :It drives much better than anything they've had before, it just doesn't drive as good as AC in my opinion. It's also missing a ton of stuff, including flat spots, real wear etc.

Ok, it's a geneal/vague impression of not handling as good as one would expect, but you can't yet put your fingers on what precisely is not right. Usually a few weeks after a new build, specific issues are raised in the forums. Maybe in this case it's taking longer because the model is more refined and the issues (legitimate or not) are subtler.
Quote from PMD9409 :Nah, I think many do that. If you don't plan on driving the F1 car, why have an A class license?

I was thinking about jumping up to Class A and starting the FW, but it seems to be extremely fast and I'm afraid I would be just a backmarker. How hard is it to jump into that league? What are the "proes"? How can you even reach Pro licence?
"League" you have to finish in Top 10 in a season in the A class GP series to make the pro series. Which then if you do well enough makes you eligible for DWC
Quote from Kristi :I was thinking about jumping up to Class A and starting the FW, but it seems to be extremely fast and I'm afraid I would be just a backmarker. How hard is it to jump into that league? What are the "proes"? How can you even reach Pro licence?

It's as hard as you make it. If you practice a lot and try doing a lot of setup work, then it can pay off well and you can do pretty good. But to qualify, you want to finish in the top 10 in points in either season 1, 2, or 3. Season 4 you then have pro series, where I believe you must finish in the top 20 in order to obtain a DWC license. Pro series is a 10 week season (skips Xmas and New Years) that is normally messy as people scramble to get points. In the past, playing it safe in Pro can almost ensure you a DWC license. Please note though, that pace in the Class A series does not always relate to the Pro/DWC level whatsoever. Rarely you have a top driver go through A class anymore, most of them currently aren't top 10 material (no offense to them, just being honest).

In the end, you would have to see if you even like the car. Being consistent in it as well with good pace is probably the most important thing. If you can't stay concentrated for 60-90 minutes straight, you're going to have problems later on when racing.
I don't think I'd have problem concentrating for that ammount of time in a quick car after decent ammount of practice. I'm rather concerned about the skill levels in those Class A series races. I seriously mean I'm disappointed with people I've been matched with that had A licence and 4.5-5k iRating, but of course that's in the RUF Cspec. I'm wondering how does that relate to the Class A Williams cup.
In the A class series on the road side atleast the competition won't be that high because people usually get the black stripe then don't race the series anymore. But in the black stripe series the standard will be much higher, it's practicing for 1 race a week/every other week so people are much more focused for that than in the lower series, imo

It's an investment in the time you put into it, having a good race in the pro or dwc series that come after A class is as rewarding as anything I've done in simracing, but there is a price to get there in terms of time and effort and for most people that's not worth it.
What is the black stripe thingy? It's the series between DWC and Class A?
Quote from Kristi :What is the black stripe thingy?

Pro Licence

You should go for it if you like the car. You've got the speed.

I would have gone for Pro/DWC but i hated the car so much i never bothered. If you get on with it then it's got to be worth going for DWC.
I used to be into the F1 thing, but I'm not sure if I can get used to that speed and immersion the car gives over every other car in iRacing. Swapping from RUF Track/Cup into that thing would be a blast for sure. I think training can solve everything though. I might go for it in S2 of 2014 I guess.
next buy , ruf or mp4 ?
Quote from undertaker00 :next buy , ruf or mp4 ?

ruf - 4 cars for the price of one

also the mp4 is a bit broken at the moment
I'd say both, if you have to choose then go for RUF.
Yeah, this is one of the rare times I'd say to have both. Then get the BMW when that comes out as well.
Im class D right now, ruf request higher class for league races?

aaand..
wich series is more intersting( more ppl i would say?) ruf cup or that gt3 cup

iRacing - chapter III
(1141 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG