The online racing simulator
iRacing - chapter III
(1141 posts, started )
Quote from menantoll :Well clearly. You should have thought about it a little more.

We already know that temperature is one of the factors. We also know that track temperature (well whatever the weather is set to anyway) can make a difference to grip levels. Why do you think that they would bin all the other reasons and make tire thickness the sole reason to lose grip?

Because it's iRacing that's why. It's impossible for them to actually build proper track temp or tyre wear on that particular game engine. It's just a GPL engine with better GFX. That's literally all it is.
Obviously there is a limit to useful tread depth. You wouldn't get more and more grip the greater the depth of the actual tread. The thing to remember is that tyre grip is a combination of adhesion and deformation. A chemical to the road surface, and physical deformation of the tread around imperfections in that surface. Surely there's a limit to how much deformation is useful/necessary, and also it's easy to work out how an otherwise identical tyre with far less tread and so much less capacity for deformation of the rubber itself would not be as grippy.
Quote from BlueFlame :Because it's iRacing that's why. It's impossible for them to actually build proper track temp or tyre wear on that particular game engine. It's just a GPL engine with better GFX. That's literally all it is.

Why can't you just grow a pair and admit that you went off on a rant based purely on an assumption you made from a single line of text?

You really thought they would dump all previous grip variables and replace it with just one? The thickness of the tyre?

Edit: They have made some really stupid decisions in the past (imho) but even the Canadian one can't honestly think they are that daft.
Quote from menantoll :Why can't you just grow a pair and admit that you went off on a rant based purely on an assumption you made from a single line of text?

You really thought they would dump all previous grip variables and replace it with just one? The thickness of the tyre?

Edit: They have made some really stupid decisions in the past (imho) but even the Canadian one can't honestly think they are that daft.

They never HAD anything before. Do you not understand? The limitations of the game engine PREVENT any of this shit from being implemented properly.
Quote from BlueFlame :They never HAD anything before. Do you not understand? The limitations of the game engine PREVENT any of this shit from being implemented properly.

I understand that currently if I get my tyres hot I have less grip. I also understand that currently different weather settings can give me more or less grip. The accuracy of these calculations I have not given an opinion on.

I was picking you up on this assumption

Quote from BlueFlame :Since when did loss of tread depth soley cause lack of grip?

For your assumption to be true it must also be true that either there is no grip loss at all currently or that they will ditch all other ways of calculating grip with the new build.
Quote from anttt69 :Thank you

Can you still earn credits by completing 8 races in certain series?

Yes you can.
Quote from menantoll :I understand that currently if I get my tyres hot I have less grip. I also understand that currently different weather settings can give me more or less grip. The accuracy of these calculations I have not given an opinion on.

I was picking you up on this assumption

If I cover your eyes with thick black paper. You become blind.

Except your not blind but the result is the same.

The track temp in iRacing is completely undynamic. Meaning it's just a static decrease or increase in grip depending on the numbered value. It's the same coding that gives grass different grip values to tarmac.

It really is not as complicated as YOU think it is.

Like I said it's just a glorified GPL.
Quote from Dennis93 :Well, tread depth alone means grip.

As I pointed out, the more tread there is in the tire the more it can wrestle around, work the whole tire.

A tire with less rubber usually feels hard and very stiff to drive on, like there is never enough heat or even too much.

The more depth in a tire means more grip in real life.

maybe i'm misunderstanding your point here but more tread doesn't directly equate to grip..

Ignoring compounds for a second the more tread you have the less of the tyre is making contact with the track and the lower the amount of contact patch the lower the grip..

this is so basic its untrue so i cant sit here thinking you actually meant it in that way.. but i cant see how else you could of meant it..
Quote from BlueFlame :If I cover your eyes with thick black paper. You become blind.

Except your not blind but the result is the same.

The track temp in iRacing is completely undynamic. Meaning it's just a static decrease or increase in grip depending on the numbered value. It's the same coding that gives grass different grip values to tarmac.

It really is not as complicated as YOU think it is.

Like I said it's just a glorified GPL.

I refer you to my bit in bold.

You are trying to have a argue with me about the accuracy of the grip physics. Something I have not expressed an opinion on.

For what it's worth, I think there are some HUGE problems with the physics in iRacing but this is not the point I am trying to make. (that's my first opinion on iRacing physics today, and funny enough they are similar to yours)

You seem to be skirting around my point though as you obviously are not grown up enough to accept that you made an error in your reasoning.

Anyone with an ounce of self respect would have said "Oh yeah, silly me" but not you. Instead you start attacking an opinion I haven't expressed.
Quote from R3DMAN :maybe i'm misunderstanding your point here but more tread doesn't directly equate to grip..

Ignoring compounds for a second the more tread you have the less of the tyre is making contact with the track and the lower the amount of contact patch the lower the grip..

this is so basic its untrue so i cant sit here thinking you actually meant it in that way.. but i cant see how else you could of meant it..

Dennis is a racing driver. They don't understand concept of road tyres.

No, it was a race tyre he was refering to. As in, a slick tyre.
What are you talking about. The only rubber Dennis understands are condoms.

You know, cause he has so much sex.

Cause he's a studmuffin.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :What are you talking about. The only rubber Dennis understands are condoms.

You know, cause he has so much sex.

Cause he's a studmuffin.

He didn't use one on me.
-
(DeKo) DELETED by DeKo : Wrong Thread
Quote from DeKo :It would be nice to get a race that wasn't the shite prison oval or 'Down the Drain' at the LA River, it's all I seem to get. Is literally everybody a boosting ****?

This is not the GTAV thread.

GTA V has more realistic physics.
Waking up in the morning and realising that this is me.

Way back in the LFS early days we had a discussion about tires, temperatures, thread depth and tire longevity.

As far as I can remember the conclusion was that (and it makes sense in my mind) is that as the rubber carcass thins out, the heat contained in it gets less. Or rather, the amount of energy it can store. So that way the surface temperature gets more important than the carcass temperature. So basically your tire cools off alot faster and heats up alot faster. So that means your surface temps spend far less time in the sweet spot, and THAT is what give you decreased grip, in addition to the obvious chemical degradation of the rubber itself. You enter a corner with cooler tires than before, and exit with hotter tires than before.
Quote from pmd9409 :that explains why you now have a kid.

3 kids. He didn't go easy on me.
Quote from atledreier : So basically your tire cools off alot faster and heats up alot faster.

That's actually what happens in LFS right before your tyres die. The fluxuation in temp becomes alot more.
Site just went down for build deployment, really disappointed that the HPD isn't getting NTM5, but Bathurst will be a laugh. 2048 skins are nice aswell, even though LFS has had 4096 for years.
Quote from DeKo :Site just went down for build deployment, really disappointed that the HPD isn't getting NTM5, but Bathurst will be a laugh. 2048 skins are nice aswell, even though LFS has had 4096 for years.

You can go up to 8192 or more if you want if you have the memory for it.
Mount Panorama / Bathurst 2013 - V8 Supercars Showcase

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Best 14.95$ sofar I've spent.

Full resolutions @ : FireMikeCreationsHD_DeviantArt
Awesome Mike, bathurst lived up to my expectations, damn it's such a fun track.
Quote from CrAZySkyPimp :Awesome Mike, bathurst lived up to my expectations, damn it's such a fun track.

Bathrust is quite challenging in the V8 and really fun if you got it, kinda. Tried it in the Miata also but found myself in the barrier and flying around Mount Panorama at those 24h of Fun crashes, afterwards.
I'll be buying the track soon

iRacing - chapter III
(1141 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG