The online racing simulator
Open world map and some other misc suggestions
I think LFS would benefit if an Open World map would be released.
This doesn't necessarily have to be an all-new map with custom made features.

You could slightly rework the city course, adding more roads, junctions, unlocking parking places and multi-storeys for players to roam free.
We can get server that house substantial amount of people, recreating at least night-time traffic wouldn't be difficult. Possibly add some more space and a motorway around the city, going to some more rural areas with open-rally cross tracks, even if they were just a mash-up of existing RallyX courses.

It would be nice to see bigger vehicles too such as SUV's, pickup trucks and generic trucks for racing.

Lastly, changeable wheel patterns would be amazing, it would add that little bit extra customisation that the game needs and everyone wants - maybe different sizes of the wheels to go with different shapes.

I didn't want to mention Police cars since that's a given - everyone desperately wants police cars and few mods have been done to give players some part of that experience but it would be great if someone incorporated this deeper into the game - specifically Open World would benefit by having Police, fire and medical vehicles as well as the odd pace car and recovery vehicles - even if there was one of each or if they were simply based on slightly modified existing vehicles.

That's just what i think the game needs. The main idea is the Open World, I'm sure everyone would love to roam freely on a true city course as opposed to just generic track-day free riding.
You know it's a racing simulator right? Not a city driving/cops & robbers game.
Quote from Bose321 :You know it's a racing simulator right? Not a city driving/cops & robbers game.

lfs' goal as i recall is to cover all types of racing, why not cruise?

cruise servers are more popular than race servers and there is no open world game with features and physics like lfs.
This is a racing simulator. Cruising is not racing. That is the reason not to cover it. Except maybe with 6 feet of soil.

If you think a racing simulator should cover cruising why not add a shotgun and missiles and nukes? Or what about dating? Or some puzzles.

This game is about racing. Nothing more nothing less.
Quote from March Hare :This is a racing simulator. Cruising is not racing. That is the reason not to cover it. Except maybe with 6 feet of soil.

If you think a racing simulator should cover cruising why not add a shotgun and missiles and nukes? Or what about dating? Or some puzzles.

i understand, but sadly there is no open world game that comes close to real physics.
You could try one of the many truck simulators around, I have been using the new Euro Truck simulator 2 lately, that's pretty good with thousands of miles of roads through Europe and the UK to travel. And you earn truckloads of money at the same time. Only game money but still fun.
Quote from March Hare :This is a racing simulator. Cruising is not racing. That is the reason not to cover it. Except maybe with 6 feet of soil.

+11111111111111111111111111111

why ruin this RACING simulator with such shit? go play nfs ..
Freaking funny the hardcore racers shoot down good options for racers, just becouse "cruise" is mentioned

A open city, with open configuration, can be used for both racing, drifting, and cruising.
The more streets avaliable, the biger number of configurations can be set up for custom race configuration, same for drifting...

Cruisers can have fun with the open config, and have mayhem with the crashing, or buildt a crapload of roundabouts to prevent it

Racers and lfs users in general should be glad lfs is making cruisers buy the game, since it makes it harder for developers to toss in the towel...

We just need to face the fact: with realistic car handeling, interest for any car related usage of lfs will apear

Now, start flaming for bad english, opinions, aso....
-
(Franky.S) DELETED by Franky.S
[QUOTE=Franky.S;1756645]there is nothing good for "racers" to ome from this.

[QUOTE]A open city, with open configuration, can be used for both racing, drifting, and cruising.
The more streets avaliable, the biger number of configurations can be set up for custom race configuration, same for drifting...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]yeah i can see racing the fzr around a roundabout

Cruisers can have fun with the open config, and have mayhem with the crashing, or buildt a crapload of roundabouts to prevent it [/QUOTE]

no.

[QUOTE]Racers and lfs users in general should be glad lfs is making cruisers buy the game, since it makes it harder for developers to toss in the towel...[/QUOTE]

you are the reason why lfs is failing.

[QUOTE]We just need to face the fact: with realistic car handeling, interest for any car related usage of lfs will apear[/QUOTE]

doesnt make it right

[QUOTE]Now, start flaming for bad english, opinions, aso.... [/QUOTE]

so. if i go play dungeons and dragons on call of udty then you as you say it i should be allowed to and no one should rage at me for using the game for wrong reason?
Quote from Franky.S :
so. if i go play dungeons and dragons on call of udty then you as you say it i should be allowed to and no one should rage at me for using the game for wrong reason?

Lol, you have no valid arguments tbh, you might be only use the fzr, but mrt is accualy a valid race kart

Nice trolling m8
Quote from =Wolf=[NO] :Lol, you have no valid arguments tbh, you might be only use the fzr, but mrt is accualy a valid race kart

Nice trolling m8

troll? lol yes im troll for racing in a racing simulator..

why you think all new stuff victor and scawen are doing are made for the RACING side of lfs and nothig with crusiing..

take victor and his lfsw. his new idea for hotlap website and league website and more. no crusing shit was mention in that.
Quote from Franky.S :troll? lol yes im troll for racing in a racing simulator..

why you think all new stuff victor and scawen are doing are made for the RACING side of lfs and nothig with crusiing..

take victor and his lfsw. his new idea for hotlap website and league website and more. no crusing shit was mention in that.

it's a driving simulator. that's why there are currently open track configurations. if it was strictly for racing there wouldn't be open track config.
Quote from FlyingBus :it's a driving simulator. that's why there are currently open track configurations. if it was strictly for racing there wouldn't be open track config.

It is not.

It is an online racing simulator.

The open configs weren't intended to directly benefit cruise, but allow people to create tracks from the world without needing the developers (there are a few combos that the devs missed.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :
The open configs weren't intended to directly benefit cruise, but allow people to create tracks from the world without needing the developers (there are a few combos that the devs missed.

Plus the open configs like the second most suggested thing for years (right after the engine tuning and exchangeable body kits). Open configs can serve to a wide variety of purposes, most of which have something to do with racing. LFS is not an MMO version of GTA.
Why do people not just drive what they like in LFS and stop to flame others ?

I still dont get the point of that, just drive what you prefer and be happy for

any licence that is sold so it keeps the developers on work. I for myself for

example like to cruise AND race, drifting is something I do not like. But that

doesnt get me to start flaming on drifters or even driftservers. Greets PVL
Quote from P V L :Why do people not just drive what they like in LFS and stop to flame others ?

He's right. Speaking for myself I can say that I'm a racer. As in I prefer racing other than cruising or drifting, but sometimes, when I haven't got enough time and concentration needed to do some laps, I just go for 10 ro 20 mins on a cruise server or one with a different layer, just to drive the car and "feel the wheel in my hands". I have no clue how to drift btw. Anyway, after that I'm going back to my business.

Point is, we shouldn't judge anyone. Everyone does whatever the *uck they want.
Quote from P V L :Why do people not just drive what they like in LFS and stop to flame others ?

It's not that people drive what they want. that's not the question. It's that they always have requests that aren't conductive towards a racing simulator.

Customizable Rims, Police Cars, Tow Truck.. None of those actually push forward LFS as a racing simulator.
From what I've heard, LFS started off as a suspension simulator which is why it's got such a broad range of opportunities within 'driving' simulation of various sorts. I remember the devs in the 0.6 patching could simply 'enable' collision on certain collisionless parts of venues. In that case, there are some interesting unused roads on south city that could be utulized to make a cruise (yes cruise) layout without much effort.

Quote from dawesdust_12 :It's not that people drive what they want. that's not the question. It's that they always have requests that aren't conductive towards a racing simulator.

Customizable Rims, Police Cars, Tow Truck.. None of those actually push forward LFS as a racing simulator.

I think 'customizable' rims has more to do with racing than cruising. You see more racing cars out there with different flashy rims than in traffic. Police cars or pace cars are just dds mods away from each other. Not sure how much a pace car would add to LFS as a racing simulator though. Definitely not a step backwards. Same goes for tow trucks. Those are present in real racing as well and I guess the comfort of simply teleporting off the track can be considered unrealistic also in racing simulation. So all of those things you mentioned, I think would contribute to a better experience, even in a racing simulation. My opinion.
I feel as though adding more roads will not be a good idea because, as people have said above, this is a racing simulator, not NFS. I think the open configs are fine due to them not being too big making them into some sort of city, they are the perfect size for making different tracks, and I think lfs should be kept that way. If lfs was a driving simulator then I would agree on this, but as I said, since lfs is a racing simulator, I don't agree on the more roads idea. I'm not sure about the pace car because I tried it once on my server and people just ignored the pace car and drove past it...I feel as though this may happen all the time in lfs if a pace car was to be added. I agree with what pärtan said about the rims thing as well.
Quote from pärtan :
I think 'customizable' rims has more to do with racing than cruising. You see more racing cars out there with different flashy rims than in traffic. Police cars or pace cars are just dds mods away from each other. Not sure how much a pace car would add to LFS as a racing simulator though. Definitely not a step backwards. Same goes for tow trucks. Those are present in real racing as well and I guess the comfort of simply teleporting off the track can be considered unrealistic also in racing simulation. So all of those things you mentioned, I think would contribute to a better experience, even in a racing simulation. My opinion.

How so? Does Fernando Alonso go to his crew "Guys, car feels great, but I think a different looking rim might help us go faster".

No.. He doesn't. His engineering team might do something like the wheel covers that modern F1 cars have, but that's a specific feature of the car, not something that he adjusts to gain performance on the fly.

Also. With the Tow Truck and Pace Cars. Yes they are in real racing, but that's outside of the scope. If LFS was a "Race Event Simulator", then they'd make sense.. and people could control them.. but LFS is not that. LFS is a "Online Racing Simulator".

Part of making a good product is knowing what scope you're targeting, and realziing when you're spreading yourself too thin. Especially with a small team, having a specific focus on what your goals are, and what you do to attain them is super important. Tow Trucks, Pace Cars and moddable rims are not items that contribute directly towards an online racing simulator.

There are many other things that are more beneficial towards the (presumed) end goal of a great racing simulator like more content, smoother online system or more managed events.
How so? Does Fernando Alonso go to his crew "Guys, car feels great, but I think a different looking rim might help us go faster".

No.. He doesn't. His engineering team might do something like the wheel covers that modern F1 cars have, but that's a specific feature of the car, not something that he adjusts to gain performance on the fly.

So if it was up to you, the devs should never have made the vehicle skin system because it doesn't improve the vehicles performance? It might be a cosmetic feature, but the game have a fair deal of those already. Alternative rims isn't a very difficult one either.

Also. With the Tow Truck and Pace Cars. Yes they are in real racing, but that's outside of the scope. If LFS was a "Race Event Simulator", then they'd make sense.. and people could control them.. but LFS is not that. LFS is a "Online Racing Simulator".

Part of making a good product is knowing what scope you're targeting, and realziing when you're spreading yourself too thin. Especially with a small team, having a specific focus on what your goals are, and what you do to attain them is super important. Tow Trucks, Pace Cars and moddable rims are not items that contribute directly towards an online racing simulator.

There are many other things that are more beneficial towards the (presumed) end goal of a great racing simulator like more content, smoother online system or more managed events.

I agree that certain things are a priority. Such as the tyre physics that we're all currently waiting for. Usually when people post in this category they don't consider there suggestion to be of highest priority and it's usually meant for the future when there is time for it to be done. This scope you're talking of will grow wider as LFS is getting closer to completion. And what's inside or outside this scope I'd say is somewhat a matter of opinion as the devs have clearly included features that are not strictly raw racing simulation at many occasions.
Quote from pärtan :So if it was up to you, the devs should never have made the vehicle skin system because it doesn't improve the vehicles performance? It might be a cosmetic feature, but the game have a fair deal of those already. Alternative rims isn't a very difficult one either.

That's incorrect, as car liveries are an important part of racing, and as such should be reflected in a racing simulator. No car series in the world drives an entire field of white cars.

Quote from pärtan :
I agree that certain things are a priority. Such as the tyre physics that we're all currently waiting for. Usually when people post in this category they don't consider there suggestion to be of highest priority and it's usually meant for the future when there is time for it to be done. This scope you're talking of will grow wider as LFS is getting closer to completion. And what's inside or outside this scope I'd say is somewhat a matter of opinion as the devs have clearly included features that are not strictly raw racing simulation at many occasions.

I feel that you're wrong. There's been very few (if any) features that have been added that aren't to actually benefit a racing simulator.
Quote from pärtan :I think 'customizable' rims has more to do with racing than cruising.

Do you know anything about real world racing? Almost all racing series have a set of rules. these rules define what kind of car you can enter into a race. These rules state very clearly what kind of wheel and tyre you are allowed to use. So you can't go racing in STCC with 20" chrome wheels with spinnerz.

If you look at any touring car series closely you will notice that there are in fact very few variations in wheels from team to team. And that variation is mostly due to colour. LFS already allows this. Yes, racing cars usually have big wheels with a little tyre around it. But that is how every single car in the same class is. So there is no customizing going on.

Customizing rims is just for croozing. And if that floats your boat there are a lot of better games than this for it.
Quote from March Hare :Do you know anything about real world racing? Almost all racing series have a set of rules. these rules define what kind of car you can enter into a race. These rules state very clearly what kind of wheel and tyre you are allowed to use. So you can't go racing in STCC with 20" chrome wheels with spinnerz.

Interesting how you bring in 20" chrome rims with spinners into this as soon as you hear the word customizable rims. Seems like you have a lot of stereotypic opinions about users on these forums. That's not at all what I'm talking about.
And if rules should be so strict on wheels in LFS. Maybe all the GTR cars should use the same rims? Last I checked they have quite different rims.

Quote from March Hare :
Customizing rims is just for croozing. And if that floats your boat there are a lot of better games than this for it.

Cruising does float my boat yes so I suppose we are nothing alike. At least not according to you. However, I'd still like to say that LFS is the best game for whatever driving related purposes. You can try and name a game that you think I'd like more, but then again, you don't know me. As far as you're concerned I'm just trespassing on your sacred grounds.

Quote from dawesdust_12 :That's incorrect, as car liveries are an important part of racing, and as such should be reflected in a racing simulator. No car series in the world drives an entire field of white cars.

All right, how about the whole roof option for certain cars. Is that also an important part of racing? "Guys, car feels great, but I think taking down the soft top roof might help us go faster". Before you say that taking down the soft top is something you can do from inside the car, in the UF1 they take off the hard roof and install a rollcage.

Quote from dawesdust_12 :I feel that you're wrong. There's been very few (if any) features that have been added that aren't to actually benefit a racing simulator.

That's not what I said. I said "the devs have clearly included features that are not strictly raw racing simulation at many occasions". I never said that these features didn't benefit lfs as a racing simulator. Because more than 'raw racing sim' features can benefit a racing simulator. That was the point I was trying to make.
What a nonsence duscussion here... Even if it would be the wet dream of these annoying stupid-thing-askers cruisers,I would love the update of South City by opening and fixing the streets already visible (inside SO3 configuration) and also the whole higway crossing part with that oval roundabout - the whole thing would give tens of new configurations. With new tyre physics release it would be the best time to make that update as all WRs would have to be reset anyway.

And yes,it would be useful to have cars with well visible flashing lights on top,to use as pace/safety cars,as currently the only thing that seperates it from racingcars is the model.

But that open world map is just a step too far - you moaner-cruisers,enjoy the open configs and shut up finally,you're just guests in this RACING simulator!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG