The online racing simulator
2012 Kyoto 250: Race Discussion
The 2012 Kyoto 250. Fifth Annual. Saturday, 31 March 2012.

Timetable for the day:

16:45 UTC: All competitors due in server AND in TS in correct name format in each.
16:51 UTC: Grid stacking begins
17:01 UTC: Pace laps begin (all 5 of them)
17:10 UTC: Green Flag

Considering how the first one went (very well -_-) it's sort of shocking that it and NDR are still going after this long.

The 250 has never been caution-free, but last year was about halfway through before the first caution. It can get done in less than 2 hours if caution-free, although usually takes about 2h15m or so average.

Discuss!
How many exact laps incl pace laps will there be
Quote from Bmxtwins :How many exact laps incl pace laps will there be

135 Racing laps, plus 5 parade and pace laps.
\o/
Hey,

So I just remembered that I cannot race on this day So someone will end up taking my place during the race. It took me until today to remember that I am a lead commentator on the RDLMS 24hr Nordschliefe.

Best of luck to you all and thanks for the racing up until now.

Oscar.
Quote from oscarhardwick :Hey,

So I just remembered that I cannot race on this day So someone will end up taking my place during the race. It took me until today to remember that I am a lead commentator on the RDLMS 24hr Nordschliefe.

Best of luck to you all and thanks for the racing up until now.

Oscar.

Aawww, that's a pity, my skin is not going to be as famous
I will use it next year Flame, and will also not agree to commentate on a big event and then sign up to a race on the same day
What a shame... now we're slowly running out of reserve drivers.
gained 4 spots on the restart not bad
-
(-NightFly-) DELETED by -NightFly-
Talking about bad luck: got taken out on first SC laps(thanks for that btw), had to start the race from dead last....everything went downhill from there...:sorry:
Made a big mistake which destroyed my race - put my car between wall and a kingsbury... Gained a lot of damage,was driving 49.5+ laps,had to pit and repair as no cautions were called then,after that - just drive and drive and hope for some luck,didn't really get it. Still - 22nd at finish,a +5 improvement from last year.
I can't find enough dirty words to describe this race from my view. Everything was wrong, everytime on wrong place in wrong time...

Maybe next year.............
Quote from Fast Jarda :I can't find enough dirty words to describe this race from my view. Everything was wrong, everytime on wrong place in wrong time...

Maybe next year.............

+1.. I had chance to finish in TOP10 but some drivers dont look at side.. + I had to slow down in last 10 laps because some drivers spinned me and i have to catch my position and i loose fuel.. So my strategy didnt work..
Started around 18th but managed to get in the front. Good bumping with Kid and some others. I was also one of the few who didn't pit at all, so I was 2nd at some point and I stayed 3rd-4th with Niko Puntola for quite long and we were catching the first two guys a bit. But then the last SC came out.

I was restarting 3rd and in T1 I was 3-wide, Niko probably didn't know that I had had a car on my left, turned into me and I dropped to the back of the field, so I went from 3rd to 14th. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

One good thing is that I managed to finish on one tyres and 100% fuel and I still had 2.2% left, it was a nice strategy move I must say.

Grats to the winners and thanks to all organisers!
Attached images
lfs_00000414.jpg
Another bitter pill i had to take today.

I wouldn't mind finishing 19th, 1 lap down, because whole race was crap.
From yesterday i was dealing with my wheel, which was completely off, twitching in turns in other way, than the turn was, so i had to deal with it and correct those changes, losing lots of time.
Then there were bad on-track encounters. Everyone i tried to work with, brought me some trouble, except for Flame. And when i got away from those people, they spectated and disconnected. :|
After that, as i said, i was happy with my position, but then, 8 laps from finish i spotted small trollface coming out from T2, which caught me up in T3 and kicked my butt out of the server.

So now i'm very angry and in this mood i have to congratulate Robin for beating Phil, everyone who finished and thank whole NDR team for all the werk they've put into the whole event.

And that i do. See you some time in the future.
Lamothe and I push to 5th and 4th only to be wrecked by a teammate on the last lap. Nb
it was the last lap. dont make the team name last lap motorsports then son
Race went near perfect. I got damage on like lap 5 due to people just being a bit too aggressive. My right rear wasn't optimal for that first really long run but I was able to live with it. Pulled out to a good lead though on the green ones. We chose not to bump each other unless absolutely necessary.

Then I had an interesting dilemna, that involved a toilet. Caution came out just in time and was able to pit, fix my car, get fuel (was short), and tires. Was all refreshed (literally) and was starting in a scary 22nd place.

Restart was so scary yet somehow after 2-3 laps I was sitting in 5th place. I really didn't understand how, but I was happy. Got connected back with Robin, who started a bit higher on the restart.

Final stint was just going smooth. We wanted to have a 1-3 lap battle free-for-all at the end, then suddenly the caution came out... So many different things could happen with a 1 lap dash, me and Robin wanted to be smart and work together for at least the first 2 corners. I came up with some silly strategy on the restart and it seemed to work for us two, behind us it was getting pretty hairy. Coming out of T2 we had no one in our draft, so we agreed to have just battle it out. I was planning on running a bit higher in T3 and getting a good exit, however I just made a little bobble entering the corner, and Robin did it to absolute perfection. He deserved the win last year, but a late timeout ended his race early. He was clearly fastest today, showed their on the last lap.

Anyways, happy to get a 1-2, team's 2nd birthday is coming up in the next couple weeks. The old throwback ineX skins were just a simple tribute.

Grats to the whole field really, the race was much much cleaner than years past. Was really fun when everyone was spread out and it was all about driver and car, and not just who could bumpdraft the best.

Also thanks to the admins and broadcast/commentators. Was smooth as silk this year.
Started 10th. First 80 laps or so were all clean and good, I was bumpdrafting with different people and I was sitting between 5th and 9th all stint long. Sorry to Asnl for the contact early on, I was slightly ahead at T1 exit but we touched slightly, felt like you could've gotten away with that, but lag threw you into a big slide unfortunately.

Then at the caution at lap 85 or so, I decided to pit. Turned out I was the only idiot who decided to not take tyres. I exited the pits in 8th and 1st of those who pitted, but as my pit was mega quick, I don't think I would have exited much further if I took tyres.

Then at the restart I got smoked by ineX and Niko. I was on my own most of the time afterwards, and then I had to let the LLM draft train by, and maybe 1 or 2 more people. I was taking it really easy because my front right tyre was getting really thin, and I was affraid of blowing it - it's hard to see punctures coming up in the XRT. Fortunately those tyre related worries were gone thanks to that caution with 5 laps to go.

Then the last lap... It was just Daytona-esque. It was crazy to be out there, so many things going on in such a short amount of time.

I was 8th when the green flag fell. At T1 there was that odd contact ahead between Flame, Niko and Lamothe, which allowed the group I was in to have a go for 3rd. Then on the ran from T1 to T2, I tried to bumpdraft Peter on the outside lane, but a lag contact threw me sidewayds, heading into the infield. Fortunately I bounced back (pretty hard) into Tehro, which put me back into the right way without losing so much time and without getting any damage. Not only this was a very lucky escape, but it made me lag a few car lenght behind the thick of the pack, and it turned out to be a greater and safer place to be in. When LLM, Niko and co went wide at T2 while fighting for 3rd, the timing was perfect for me to dive on the inside and pass them all.

I was 4th coming into T3, with Tehro in front of me, and Cornys behind, both coming from nowhere. On the final straight I drafted Tehro and pulled alongside him on the outside. I lost the 3rd place fight for 0.01 sadly, but still managed to finish 4th.

On one hand it is very frustrating to lose a podium spot for only one hundredth. But on the other hand I can't complain, I gained 4 positions in the last lap in which I was very lucky. And 4th was higher than I had ever been during the race - most of the time I was sitting between 5th and 9th. Also this meant I improved my finishing record in the 250 by three spots - I finished 7th in both 2010 and 2011.

In the end it was a pretty cool race, most of the time it was pretty clean and fun. IMHO it was the best race so far in 250 history, although it probably didn't have the best strenght of field. This was my first serious LFS race in months, and I'm glad I joined it, it was great.

So thanks to everyone involved, drivers, admins, broadcasters, etc. Hoping to see you again in 2013. Also thanks to Niko, DJ and Lauris for the great company on TS
I must say it was very exciting ending. I watched the replay back and dont really think it was all matt's fault. Niko did not really give sufficient room and bumped my site sending me into matt. I guess it will be decided by admins when they do post race review.. as well as possible jump starts... some cars left some hefty gaps.
That felt great after timing out last year after leading almost the whole race

Since Phil desperately had to go to the bathroom and had some damage on his car, we decided to pit together during the SC which also meant we didn't have to worry about running out of fuel or having ice cold tyres at the end.
Since I knew I would work best together with Phil, I also repaired the bodywork damage just to reduce the risk of bad bumps.

After 2 or so laps we were connected again, and managed to bumpdraft to 1-2, and pulled away when the car behind us lost the draft exiting T3.

While following Phil I had to take a different line through T3, which burned my right front badly which I couldn't avoid while Phils tyres were just perfect. I guess having a 1 lap shootout helped me have enough grip in T3 to pass Phil

On the last restart we managed to pull away while I was bumping Phil and everyone behind fighting for whatever positions they could get, and after everyone had lost our draft we agreed to battle it out.
My plan for T3 was to try getting a faster exit since I usually was faster in T3 than Phil and then trying to draft around the outside, but since he was a bit unstable I just went on the inside going side by side towards the finish line

I initially thought it would be a wreckfest after the two first safety cars, turned out to be the probably cleanest oval race I've done.

Thank you all the organizers, commentators, drivers etc for making it a great race
Quote from Robendo :I initially thought it would be a wreckfest after the two first safety cars, turned out to be the probably cleanest oval race I've done.

I support this sentiment.

By the way, mpr and result linked in Replays and Results thread; also you've got 36h from end of race to file any protests you want. Even though it was largely clean, I still don't think the admins should have to investigate incidents apart from bureaucratic things. I'll probably check last lap, I suspect one or two people used the apron, will need to check for it being used to advantage, as well as to audit all close finishes for accurate finish order.
niko really didnt look before he cut anyone off...
ftr our 3 car draft was only a 2 car draft I never pushed them.
btw phil, i ran to the bathroom down stairs took a piss and exited pits before my stop finished :P did you crawl or something? :P
-
A story (Speed Senna) DELETED by Speed Senna

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG