The online racing simulator
Hamilton winging already. Blaming the car for his lack of skills.
Quote from Bean0 :Fault doesn't matter, if the HRT had not been on track then neither would have happened. And if a fast team had run the softer tyre in Q1, they would not have been on the track.

It's also worth noting that Button and Narain were "fighting" for position at the time of their incident.

Anyway, I don't think the FIA needs to work harder to exclude teams from racing. They'll never improve the car if they don't get more track time, and they won't get more track time if they don't race (thanks to the testing rules).
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Anyway, I don't think the FIA needs to work harder to exclude teams from racing. They'll never improve the car if they don't get more track time, and they won't get more track time if they don't race (thanks to the testing rules).

Let's not forget that it's partly the FIA's fault if they are that slow. HRT entered the series with the promise of the 50M$ budget cap. And now they are told to fight against people who have more than 10 times their budget.

And, as you said, the testing ban makes it very hard to catch the front.
Quote from anttt69 :Hamilton winging already. Blaming the car for his lack of skills.

Yea Hamiltons starting to annoy me. Maybe he should quit and go record R'N'B records and hang with other black celebs. Oh wait, he's already doing that.
Sounds like some would never like him no matter what.
Quote from PMD9409 :Sounds like some would never like him no matter what.

Of course, but that's because he's had his fathers support from day #1. People just mistake that for 'He hasn't worked for anything his whole life' and get all jealous and pissy about it.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Let's not forget that it's partly the FIA's fault if they are that slow. HRT entered the series with the promise of the 50M$ budget cap. And now they are told to fight against people who have more than 10 times their budget.

And, as you said, the testing ban makes it very hard to catch the front.

Well some of the new teams have trouble even using the amounts of testing available to them. It's not like teams like caterham, marussia or HRT are proper competitors. Instead they are grid fillers. They are the F1's equivalent of nigerian hockey team in winter olympics. They work hard, they have worst resources and they get totally beaten everytime by everyone. They do their best which is good and respectable effort but one has to ask do they really belong to this level?

I think having Minardis were a good idea and made sense when there were more reliability issues with the cars. But in F1 what it is today I don't really see the need for these grid filler teams. Of course it looks better when you 12 teams instead of just 9 which is probably the only reason they are there. Plus of course having them on the grid makes it easier for new drivers to get in.
Quote from BlueFlame :Of course, but that's because he's had his fathers support from day #1. People just mistake that for 'He hasn't worked for anything his whole life' and get all jealous and pissy about it.

It's more to do with him being a dick.
Quote from Hyperactive :Well some of the new teams have trouble even using the amounts of testing available to them. It's not like teams like caterham, marussia or HRT are proper competitors. Instead they are grid fillers. They are the F1's equivalent of nigerian hockey team in winter olympics. They work hard, they have worst resources and they get totally beaten everytime by everyone. They do their best which is good and respectable effort but one has to ask do they really belong to this level?

I think having Minardis were a good idea and made sense when there were more reliability issues with the cars. But in F1 what it is today I don't really see the need for these grid filler teams. Of course it looks better when you 12 teams instead of just 9 which is probably the only reason they are there. Plus of course having them on the grid makes it easier for new drivers to get in.

Good job answering your own questions.

Caterham, for example, are clearly improving. This takes time, but in a season or two we might see them fighting with the true midfield teams.
Crap teams can get better...Stewart became Jaguar, who became Red Bull
Quote from Hyperactive :Plus of course having them on the grid makes it easier for new drivers to get in.

Don't think so, since drivers in bad teams usually have to pay (or bring sponsors), nobody is reaching a seat by his quality

Minardi was a good team to see how drivers performed in a F1, but I don't think nowadays you can be hired without bringing money with you.

Today I read a rumour, that Massa could've been testin new parts in Australia and Malaysia, so they know how they behave before using them in China and Bahrain. Personally I don't think it's true...
There have always been pay drivers - Alonso was a pay driver at Minardi, Schumacher a pay driver a Jordan.

The only difference is that due to massively spiralling costs to compete and the march of technology it costs tens of millions to buy a seat these days. Cut costs and that reins in the big teams and allows the lower order to compete.
It also has to be considered with the much improved driver training programs as well as the decrease is madness of driving an F1 car, modern pay-drivers can easily compete with a decent driver.

So if you're super-talented it still is not guarantee to beating a rich less talented driver
Cutting costs sounds good but is hard to enforce.

I think Horner suggested limiting personnel at the track.

To get the bottom of the grid more competitive I would give them more testing days than anyone else. Although they probably won't turn up to their own test
Quote from Hyperactive :I think having Minardis were a good idea and made sense when there were more reliability issues with the cars. But in F1 what it is today I don't really see the need for these grid filler teams. Of course it looks better when you 12 teams instead of just 9 which is probably the only reason they are there. Plus of course having them on the grid makes it easier for new drivers to get in.

Pure speculation, but if the FIA does indeed see HRT and the likes as "fillers", it might have something to do with the Concorde agreements. It's often been rumoured that they have a "18 cars minimum" clause(probably in order to please TV channels, so yea, still a case of "more cars looks better" in the end). Having as much as 24 cars means a safety margin in case 2 or 3 teams pull off at a time(which could have happened in 2009 for example, when BMW and Honda pulled out).

Honestly though I don't really buy this theory. A 13th team was supposed to join the series, but the idea was canned for some reason 1 or 2 years ago. Speculation once again, but perhaps the FIA looked at the "new teams"' disastrous debuts, and thought that 6 cars seconds off the pace was enough. Which would mean that they underestimated the new teams challenge, and thought they would catch up with the pack more quickly.

Quote from Whiskey :Don't think so, since drivers in bad teams usually have to pay (or bring sponsors), nobody is reaching a seat by his quality

Well, the "reaching seat by quality" is a thing of the past anyway, isn't it? Unless you're a Red Bull young driver who somehow manages to survive from Marko's endless cuts, if you're short on money you won't get anywhere near to F1 first of all. A GP2 season costs 2M$ these days, a F3.5 season around 1-1.5$... Crazy stuff.

Then, even some of the upper F1 teams require money. Senna, Maldonado and Perez(I belive) are pay-driver, Sutil used to be one, maybe I forgot one or two. So, it's just not a "backmarker team" thing.

On the other hand, not every drivers of the backmarker teams are pay drivers - Glock and Kovalainen aren't.

I think the real problem with the new teams isn't that they line-up paydrivers who didn't have the talent to make it to F1 in the first place. The real problem is that the cars are so slow, the drivers cannot prove anything while driving it. You can't even compare between team-mates, because there usually is a big difference between the two cars in terms of funding, updates, and preparation(ie at Lotus/Catherham, Kova had powersteering and Trulli didn't). So the guy ends up crusing on his own, 5 seconds off the pace. And apart maybe from his work ethic(Senna was widely critisized on this in 2010) or the fact that he knows(or not) the meaning of a blue flag, you can tell nothing about one's abilities in these conditions.

So in the end you have people like Di Grassi or D'Ambrosio who bring millions to drive for one of those teams, cruise all season long at the back, get outbidded at the end of the season, then finds themselves rideless. What a waste really. Those guys in particular weren't necessary bad drivers. But unfortunately they couldn't show anything, as even Hamilton or Alonso couldn't get away from row 11 with a Virgin.

Quote from Whiskey :Minardi was a good team to see how drivers performed in a F1, but I don't think nowadays you can be hired without bringing money with you.

Sorry, but it's a myth. I'm not very familiar with the team's first decade or so in F1, but in it's latter years it probably lined-up a paydriver as often as Virgin or HRT does nowadays. The likes of Mazzacane, Gene, Alonso(who turned out to have a little bit more talent than the others I listed), Yoong, Kiesa, Baumgartner, etc.
Alonso is arguably a pay driver as he brings to Ferrari what Maldonado and Senna bring to Williams - a big sponsor, in Santander. He also brings two championships, bucketloads of talent and the best evil laugh since Dick Dastardly, but Alonso and Santander are linked - they bring plenty enough to cover his wages and much more.
What Vettel was saying after the race I can understand, he was frustrated, but what i don't like what Horner was saying, "its the lapped cars responsibility to get out of the way". Well is that the rule, bcz from what i understand the lapped cars responsibility is only to not defend while beeing lapped, thats it. No wonder Vettel is beeing a dick if there are such managers to induce his finger showing, bleh. I love racing, but absolutely hate selfish pricks that championship winners are. Except maybe Button, he seemed to not be the cocky bastard.
none of the red bull bosses have the balls to tell Vettel hes doing something wrong anyway, it was proven in 2010.
Quote from PwrSlave :What Vettel was saying after the race I can understand, he was frustrated, but what i don't like what Horner was saying, "its the lapped cars responsibility to get out of the way". Well is that the rule, bcz from what i understand the lapped cars responsibility is only to not defend while beeing lapped, thats it. No wonder Vettel is beeing a dick if there are such managers to induce his finger showing, bleh. I love racing, but absolutely hate selfish pricks that championship winners are. Except maybe Button, he seemed to not be the cocky bastard.

It is stated that if a lapped car passes more then 3 blue flag posts it runs the risk of getting a penalty.
Quote from tristancliffe :But at least he does it in relative privacy, rather than through the media, and he doesn't sulk for two years each time either, unlike a certain British driver.

No, he does it behind closed doors and hides from the media like a bitch.

But I like how you crammed a Hamilton critizism in there, when he hasn't been mentioned for a good 10-15 posts. Seems like you enjoy hating on him.
Quote from tristancliffe :But at least he does it in relative privacy, rather than through the media, and he doesn't sulk for two years each time either, unlike a certain British driver.

I am watching a pretty sulky and moany Vettel right now who seems to be prone to making a fair few mistakes all in public view.

Ill assume your talking about yourself.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG