The online racing simulator
Is S3 the last update?
(86 posts, started )
Quote from troy :Personally I would like to see LFS concentrate on it's core strength, if we're honest there is a lot of stuff that LFS has fallen behind it's competition, the only part where it is still miles ahead of anything is endurance racing and that's where the focus should be. We got stable netcode, flawless systems to incorporate driver changes and plenty of community based addons to make LFS THE endu sim. There are some key components missing to catapult it in new spheres though, dynamic lightning (day/night), dynamic ambient temperature, wear on mechanical parts, more server slots.

I probably forgot something important but these would be my "must have" additions to stop the 24h of hotlapping, get some of the key endurance racing aspects in the sim and make it stand out of the strong competition there is these days in the simracing market.

All good points, and I'd like to add: better/more admin tools.
@Bean0: So we should have been on S4 for a while now.

And what troy said 100%. rF2 now has the full environment changing going on, and iRacing is adding driver swaps "soon". The last thing I want to see is LFS getting left behind in that aspect.
Troy probably said the stuff every league racer have had on their mind. <3 u
:hihi:
Quote from The Very End :if their motivation was still up

:hide:
Hoho, I see what you did there ;D
I guess I have to ask Eric again for the progress report of the Rallypack.
See you again in three months.
Nah, usually it's just 1-3 weeks (talking of experience)
Quote from The Very End :Stop beeing difficoult :`(
Oh, I got one: Damage

And we got fuel and tyre wear, right? (Before my time, but I have played S1H before starting up S2 (which was version P IIRC)
#35 - col
Quote from troy :...There are some key components missing to catapult it in new spheres though, dynamic lightning (day/night), dynamic ambient temperature, wear on mechanical parts, more server slots.

I probably forgot something important but these would be my "must have" additions to stop the 24h of hotlapping, get some of the key endurance racing aspects in the sim and make it stand out of the strong competition there is these days in the simracing market.

You missed my No1 missing feature (and I'd think it's one Scawen want's and intends): Live Track! ie. dynamic changes to track surface and grip caused by e.g. rubber laid down, marbles, dirt, temp changes, puddles, drying lines (no point in having 'weather' until there is a good dynamic track surface model), ruts forming in rallyx.
IMO this is by far the biggest missing component in the sim and will be a major challenge - particularly in terms of netcode. I think/hope it's the next 'big' development project for Scawen after next gen tyre physics has been completed. I'm sure he'll do lots of smaller bits and pieces in between.

Col
#36 - troy
I knew I forgot something important
Hi Dennis93 and all!

You asked me, what I mean with perfect netcode?

Well, from what we experience with LFS, on Servers with 32 cars busy,
wheel to wheel fighting, with the perfect collision model, even some tolerance to lags, no graphic impossibilties like cars driving "through" each other, on can say, that the netcode is the best part of LFS.

What I expect from coming developments is not soo much, cars&tracks&&&,
BUT I hope for the LFS-community to live up in terms of numbers. That means more drivers online at a given time and very lifely racing-Leagues.

I know that many guys have decided to wait outside the game and comeback
when a patch comes and ALL of that kind come back:
The result will be (hopefully) what a self-fullfilling prophecy does...

Greetings to Denmark, Dandy
Quote from LFS.net :We like this plan a lot because we avoid any need for the services of a publisher, the community will no longer be bored with the same cars and tracks, we start to earn a living, we continue learning and improving our methods with each 25% release, and the whole thing builds up in a way that we can handle.

Plans do change...
lol I come back here to visit after year(s?) and still no S3,

ill be back in another 5 years to check

cya
Honestly I don't think 'S' numbers really matter. What we should focus on is patches and development updates.
Quote from Rappa Z :Honestly I don't think 'S' numbers really matter. What we should focus on is patches and development updates.

Something.
Quote from Rappa Z :Honestly I don't think 'S' numbers really matter. What we should focus on is patches and development updates.

True, however since they don't plan on releasing new tracks to S2, all I do is to wait for S3. The physics... meh.. it's ok to wait on them, but for me the current physics are good enough, but I don't have enough tracks to play on :/

5 years of the same tracks and enviroments, I want something new, refreshing and shiny!
#43 - kdo
No. imagine there is lot of cheat for s3 ver.X.X, you think the devs will not made new patch for the cheat stop work?...
Quote from The Very End :5 years of the same tracks and enviroments, I want something new, refreshing and shiny!

I agree, I'm mostly exited about the new content. But the new open track feature helped alot on the new tracks issue.
Quote from Skagen :I agree, I'm mostly exited about the new content. But the new open track feature helped alot on the new tracks issue.

Still same old stuff, we need whole/complete new environments and tracks, more cars, the Rally Pack, break-off damage, rain and more.

Those tyre-physics are also important, but when it was long time ago, near release, I'm quite sure that with the progress made till today, that they can atleast release a new test-patch, being Pre-S3, and we'd need to already buy a S3 for testing it?

It should include atleast a few more cars and new tracks, improved tyrephysics (may be in test stage). The rest I don't really worry about to much right now, I just need some brand new "hardware" to play with, and so do others.

It would bring a boost of league's, and lot's of leagues would move over with the events/calenders of 2012, I'm quite sure.

ScaViEr, please realise that we are over the top in terms of patience! Some of us still enjoy LFS Daily, most sometimes, and some have dropped it completally. The thing that you have to do now, is take action! Let the S3 pre-order begin, and than Pre-Release some new items in patches, for me it wouldn't matter if it would take up till 2014 for complete S3 to be released, as long as us have some new toys.
I'll quote Scawen here:

Quote from Scawen :
(...)

2) Licenses and versions

Some people made various comments on this. It's right what some people said - we are moving gradually away from the software versions being named S1, S2, S3 and so on. The S numbers are license names and really refer to the content you can access (cars, tracks, certain functions). It makes a bit less sense now to call the version of LFS "S1" or "S2" . The software is continually developing. Anyway this frees us from having to "finish" S2 before releasing S3 content. It's not clear what "finishing S2" means any more. The LFS software and content can just keep improving and we can gradually do the features and improvements that we want to over time.

One thing we discussed was the possibility of just calling the software "Live for Speed 0.6A" and forget about the Alpha / Beta tag. It's very stable software so doesn't really need those tags. There are several things that can be improved and added but that is beside the point. I hope that explains a bit more what we are thinking. The version number being less than 1.0 does express that it still has a way to go.

Quote from Bmxtwins :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sim_racing

So, will there be anything after S3. Or will we be left forever alone?

I would be quite happy if only S3 got out, so i cant even think about after that :P . I meen, dont take me wrong, but i would focus my worries on that first
Quote from JBiturbo :I would be quite happy if only S3 got out, so i cant even think about after that :P . I meen, dont take me wrong, but i would focus my worries on that first

Your avatar kills me.
Great, discussion about s3 already and I still haven't got in the hold of the demo. I'll probably buy the whole s2 s3 package then! Can we also get a sneak preview of what's to come?

Is S3 the last update?
(86 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG