The online racing simulator
What new phone should I get?
(21 posts, started )
I'm coming to the end of my T-Mobile contract and I want to get a new phone. Although I keep up with most technology, for some reason phones are something of an alien world to me, and I have no idea what's good at the moment.

My ipod touch has also recently died, so something that can replace that is a high priority. The phone it's replacing is my old Nokia 5800, I'm intending to try and combine the features of both into one device.

I'm looking for these points really:
  • Handset ideally free (I could maybe push to about £40 extra)
  • Monthly plan around £20 or less.
  • Biggest storage capacity possible as I want it to replace my 32GB ipod touch. Can the SD cards on most phones be replaced with a bigger one?
  • Decent processor speed for the applications it runs. One of the annoying things with my existing phone is that it seems too slow for the OS it's trying to run so everything is jerky and delayed.
  • Decent internet browsing
  • I'm happy using a software keyboard with a touchscreen, it doesn't need a physical keyboard
  • Calls and texts are absolute bottom of the priority list. I use about 10 minutes and at most 50 texts a month.
Anyone have any recommendations?
Sgs2? I also had a 5800, what a horrible phone... Got a SGS1 and I'm very satisfied with it.
Any recent Android phone like the SGS2 or maybe even a Nokia Lumnia 800 (I quite like it).
as i own one id say sgs2
but on the other hand, dont know what other good phones recently got released.
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :as i own one id say sgs2
but on the other hand, dont know what other good phones recently got released.

mostly HTC rehashes, the Radar looks decent but liek all HTC's their roughly 80-100 euro over priced....
any recent smartphone that runs Windows, Android or Apple software will suffice.

20 pounds really is a lot per month, so that doesn't seem a problem too.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :any recent smartphone that runs Windows, Android or Apple software will suffice.

20 pounds really is a lot per month, so that doesn't seem a problem too.

You think so? Nowadays people seem glad to spend double that ammount for a silly iP4...
Thanks guys, I'm pretty much sold on the SGS2 now

I've found a few places that do it for around £20 a month with cashback - I'll try and plead with T-Mobile to see if they'll give me that rate once my current contract expires.

Pretty much all of the contracts I've seen are for 5 zillion minutes and 10 zillion texts a month - who uses that? To use 5000 texts in a month you'd need to send 161 a day
Quote from Crashgate3 :
Pretty much all of the contracts I've seen are for 5 zillion minutes and 10 zillion texts a month - who uses that? To use 5000 texts in a month you'd need to send 161 a day

Thought the same one time myself, but then I spoke to my little brother.

He was on the unlimited texts PAYG plan with O2, top up £15 a month and there you go. He averaged nearly 200 texts a day and it turns out that the 'unlimited' plan is not so unlimited after a couple of months at that rate as he ran out of free texts.
Assuming he sleeps at some point, that's a text every 4 minutes....

That said, my boss was saying how when her teenage sons have their friends over, they all stand in a group, in silence, sending text messages to each other.

I long passed the point at which people under the age of 18 just completely baffle me.
Because talking takes effort and you can't use meme's or smiley faces in conversation in RL.
Trust me standing there singing Rick Astley or saying "Y U NO LIKE THAT" while proceeding to pull the face of the "y u no" guy gets you some strange looks...
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Trust me standing there singing Rick Astley or saying "Y U NO LIKE THAT" while proceeding to pull the face of the "y u no" guy gets you some strange looks...

My classmates do that all the time.

It's a strange, strange world.
when i was young we used to just sit on bus after school not talking to each other and then phone each other using the landline when we got home, kids today are strange
and i thought the times of sms are over D:
the only thing i use on mine is...well yahoo, msn... instant msg ftw?!
Xperia Ray. Same specs as iphone 4 but has a better battery life and is nice and pocket friendly...
Quote from Foilpact :Xperia Ray. Same specs as iphone 4 but has a better battery life and is nice and pocket friendly...

I was just gonna say this, I have it and it´s damn good phone, small whit a good camera and long battery life
Since browsing is probably the second most-used thing I'll be doing, the smaller screen of the Ray loses points to the SGS2 for me, although looking at the Ericsson range, I quite like the look of the Arc. Anyone tried that one?
The Galaxy S2 is a really great phone, and not too expensive now. It's probably still the best android phone on the market - the Nexus lacks an SD card slot so you can't expand the storage, whereas my S2 came with 16Gb and for £40 I added another 32Gb.

I think I'm paying £23 a month on Three, they had an offer on when I got mine. My only grumble would be that it doesn't have a notification LED, so if you've got messages you won't know about it until you wake the screen up.
-
(Foilpact) DELETED by Foilpact

(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG