The online racing simulator
sent VIRUS SETUP
(12 posts, started )
sent VIRUS SETUP
Someone sent me a setup and i saved it. Then later on they said it was infected with a virus. What should i do?
Well, First, Run a virus scan on it, Secondly, Remove the setup, And third, Boot up in savemode, run a good (reliable) Virus scanner, And you should be set, If problems persist. You should probably just run ComboFix (if you're skilled)
#3 - Jakg
I would honestly doubt that it's possible to embed a virus in a setup file - it's just a few bytes of information.
Quote from Jakg :I would honestly doubt that it's possible to embed a virus in a setup file - it's just a few bytes of information.

+1

You likey got the virus elsewhere.
Or, it is already there (the virus) and it somehow got activated when you use that file... Usually some viruses will get activated when latest download file will be on use... no idea why but I can proof this...

Altough it is just a script of codes... well LFS is actually coded too lol
Or, they might be joking :|.
Quote from shaun463 :Or, they might be joking :|.

This, they are probably trying to make you get rid of the setup.
you think
Quote from Jakg :I would honestly doubt that it's possible to embed a virus in a setup file - it's just a few bytes of information.

well i hope so
If setup files had such a big security flaw like that, Scavier would have probably already noticed and fixed it/told us. In short it is impossible to execute a virus embedded in a setup.
Quote from master_lfs.5101 :If setup files had such a big security flaw like that, Scavier would have probably already noticed and fixed it/told us. In short it is impossible to execute a virus embedded in a setup.

Exactly.

LFS setups don't have any active code a CPU could run, it's just a bunch of numbers describing the adjustable car parameters. LFS reads then and sets the car accordingly. As long as you get your setup as a .set file, you should be perfectly safe.
If you get a setup as .exe claiming to install the setup or something, you should never ever run it unless you absolutely trust the source you got it from (and even then I don't see any reason why not to release setups as .set files).

There is a theoretical possibility to somehow circumvent the .set file to make LFS do weird things - crash being the easiest one - but that would require LFS to not check the contents of a .set file. I'm quite sure Scawen saw such an obvious security problem and made LFS make sure that a .set file contains valid data before using it.
Quote from MadCatX :Exactly.

LFS setups don't have any active code a CPU could run, it's just a bunch of numbers describing the adjustable car parameters. LFS reads then and sets the car accordingly. As long as you get your setup as a .set file, you should be perfectly safe.
If you get a setup as .exe claiming to install the setup or something, you should never ever run it unless you absolutely trust the source you got it from (and even then I don't see any reason why not to release setups as .set files).

There is a theoretical possibility to somehow circumvent the .set file to make LFS do weird things - crash being the easiest one - but that would require LFS to not check the contents of a .set file. I'm quite sure Scawen saw such an obvious security problem and made LFS make sure that a .set file contains valid data before using it.

so if i save the setup from someone who sent me the setup in the game i'm perfectly safe?
-
(E.Reiljans) DELETED by E.Reiljans

sent VIRUS SETUP
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG