The online racing simulator
Cheap second hand car
(39 posts, started )
#1 - a-k-m
Cheap second hand car
Hello,

I want to buy a car for less than 1.000 Euros.
Is there a car which you would recommend?

Someone told me I should lookout for a Citroen AX 1.4 Diesel. That car lasts long and almost uses no gas.

Also older Hondas and Toyotas should be good... Do you know which models?

Thank you for any hint or advice!

Greetings André
I have a 12 year old Focus that I got for £1300. I can vouch for them being brilliant.

Some advice I was given - if you want reliability, look at what the taxi drivers drive.
I'd say go japanese, no matter which car.

Bought a '98 Corolla myself nearly couple years ago for 750 euros to do the necessary winter trips, drinks a bit of oil but hasn't yet broken down on me.

Have to say, considering a cheap Citroen is brave, very brave.
Quote from a-k-m :Hello,

Someone told me I should lookout for a Citroen AX 1.4 Diesel. That car lasts long and almost uses no gas.

Also older Hondas and Toyotas should be good... Do you know which models?

Thank you for any hint or advice!

Greetings André

Look for an LPG.
They are cheap.
You can run them for their last km till they die.
Or just go for an old reliable car, I'm sure they have cheap old cars in Germany too.
Just look around at some internet selling market places thingymabobs and just see what they have.
Quote from a-k-m :Hello,

Greetings André

It will use 0 gas, you can be sure of that.
Quote from Matrixi :
Have to say, considering a cheap Citroen is brave, very brave.

I wouldn't say so, I know a guy who ripped off the sump of an AX, and it kept running for another 3months.
#8 - ajp71
Quote from BlueFlame :I wouldn't say so, I know a guy who ripped off the sump of an AX, and it kept running for another 3months.

:doh:
#9 - Agniz
golf mk2 or mb 190 those 190 with 2.0 diesel are almost unbreakable
#10 - DeKo
Buy on condition, avoid diesels, maximum tax and MOT ( or whatever the equivalent is in Germany).

Blueflame, bullshit.
Quote from DeKo :Blueflame, bullshit.

Sump had a big gaping hole in it, practically the whole underside ripped off, believe what you will, I'm not liberating that information because I like Citroens (because I don't) or because I'm trying to big up the AX. I'm saying it cos it was true.
#12 - DeKo
Quote from BlueFlame :Sump had a big gaping hole in it, practically the whole underside ripped off, believe what you will, I'm not liberating that information because I like Citroens (because I don't) or because I'm trying to big up the AX. I'm saying it cos it was true.

So the engine had 0 oil pressure and had oil pissing out of it constantly? Having to stop every mile and put more oil in would have been quite annoying.
your friend must have been joking about suggesting a citroen ax. that is one of the worst cars from what i've heard.

my suggestion would be a mk2-mk3 golf/jetta. apart from the cooling unit cell(sorry, used google translate for that) leaking(happens on older mk2's, rarely though) it is a great car.
toyota starlet.
i just bought a 99 bmw for 1000$ do the same
Quote from Crashgate3 :I have a 12 year old Focus that I got for £1300. I can vouch for them being brilliant.

Some advice I was given - if you want reliability, look at what the taxi drivers drive.

I've got a 10 year old 1.6 Ghia, worth about £1200 now and still runs well. Trading up to a ST170 next year. So I can vouch for the Ford Focus as a good second or even third hand car.
Daihatsu Sirion 1L petrol. We've had a 2001 model for about six years and it has been practically unstoppable. Never broken down, only needed to replace consumables like tyres and batteries, it is a great car. Regularly gets 50-60mpg.

You will easily get one for 1000 Euros and the previous owner will have been a grandma who did 2000 miles a year.

They are pig ugly but it won't get stolen.
I would say a Astra GSI, if you can find one for that price, those cars are just nikoproof or w/e you want to call it.
MG ZS is good .
#21 - PoVo
Want reliability, buy a 98'-00' Corolla.

Don't go anywhere near a Diesel Citroen for cheap.
Quote from Crashgate3 :I have a 12 year old Focus that I got for £1300. I can vouch for them being brilliant.

LOl. Taxi Drivers sit in brand new E-classes here.
Polo 1.4D I'd say. It's pretty much the same thing as AX when you look at specs, but in my opinion it looks much better than Citroen. I own one since two years and I love it. Eventualy you can get Golf II 1.6TD. It drinks a bit more gas but it's much faster, expecially if you will get the 80hp version.
Quote from DeKo :So the engine had 0 oil pressure and had oil pissing out of it constantly? Having to stop every mile and put more oil in would have been quite annoying.

0 oil pressure yes. It's not a race car, it won't matter, as long as there is residue of oil inside the cylinders. He didn't fill it up once with oil. It was a "lets see how long it will go for" deal.

Cheap second hand car
(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG