The online racing simulator
New patch
Super Star...

Will test this tomorrow unless work have a lot of calls for me
I continued playing with avisynth - and found out what line it needs in its script to read in a sequence of bitmaps:

# Read files "001033.bmp" through "001150.bmp" into an 25fps clip.
# the '06d' part below seems to mean: 6 digits. if your bitmap-filenames
# has 3 digits only (ie. 001.bmp) you should set '03d' here.
source = ImageReader("D:\lfsvid\bmp\%06d.bmp", 1033, 1150, 25)

I wrote a lil howto and posted it in our teamforum: http://www.team-redline.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3702.0. It includes a 'quick´n dirty' script which reads bitmaps sequences, renders interframes, creates an 10x slowmotion effect and finally renders out quicktime files.
I've been having a play with varying results. There are a few issues I've encountered.

When extracting replay data from a large MPR, the possition data from teh cars is very choppy and trying to do incar views or wheel cams doesnt come out well at all.
Is there anyway to smooth the data or is it a limitation of the mpr.
SPRs work really well but the fancy footage I want is from an online race.

The other issue i have had is when trying to use lfs record with the beta patches. when using replay data the position data overtakes the replay this happens with both MPRs and SPRs. I have reverted back to z28 but this means i cant use open configs
Quote from gandlers :I've been having a play with varying results. There are a few issues I've encountered.

When extracting replay data from a large MPR, the possition data from teh cars is very choppy and trying to do incar views or wheel cams doesnt come out well at all.
Is there anyway to smooth the data or is it a limitation of the mpr.
SPRs work really well but the fancy footage I want is from an online race.

would it be possible to record a piece of video of that choppyness, so i can get a feel for what kind of choppyness this is? There is usually the MPR lag choppyness, but the cam should follow that. So if it's not that, perhaps a video can point me into the right direction.
Quote :
The other issue i have had is when trying to use lfs record with the beta patches. when using replay data the position data overtakes the replay this happens with both MPRs and SPRs. I have reverted back to z28 but this means i cant use open configs

Hm, would you mind sending me one of those open config replays, so i can have a try?
Hi Victor,

Video (right click then "save as")

I thought it maybe lag in the mpr, but when watching it in LFS there isnt sign of any lag.
I can upload the LFSR project, mpr and extracted data for this video if you'd like and PM you a download link.

Unfortunately i havent yet got round to saving an mpr of an open config as i have been practicing with MPRs i already had.
I used some WR SPR's from LFSW for testing aswell, with the beta patches the possition data wasnt in sync with the replay. with z28 it tracks the car properly.
thanks for the video an information. I'll give that a try myself soon and see if i can reproduce it.
I've been able to reproduce the reported problems. I've fixed the replay going out of sync issue. However the MPR glitchness is a tough one. The thing is that while recording the replay data, I do a fast-seek inside a replay. But LFS doesn't do any (precise) physics during a replay seek, so LFS doesn't calculate the exact positions of every car, but only reports a rough estimation. This is why you see the glitching.
I have now made it so that MPR replay data is recorded real-time instead. This works well albeit slow and provides accurate MCI data, but only for the car that is in focus inside LFS (and cars around it, nearby). Cars further away from the car in focus still exhibit the same glitching as before. This is a multiplayer optimisation and not a bug.
I'm discussing this with Scawen to see if he can help, but no definitive solution has been found yet, although there is an idea.

So what I can do is release a new patch with the real-time MPR recording, allowing you and others to at least record some cars properly. Or I can wait with a patch until we've come up with a better solution, if that appears possible.
If you would like to continue your work / experimentation asap, just let me know and I'll provide that patch. Otherwise I'll wait a bit longer, but I'm not sure how long that'll be until the next LFS Record patch.
Thanks Victror,

I was a little worried that it was a gremlin in my PC, at least you have been able to reproduce it.

Quote from Victor :I have now made it so that MPR replay data is recorded real-time instead. This works well albeit slow and provides accurate MCI data, but only for the car that is in focus inside LFS (and cars around it, nearby).

So I can choose which car I want the replay data to be "accurate" for. How is this car selected? With LFSR connected to LFS the active LFSR camera is the viewport you see in LFS and as such I cant "focus" on a particular car. Or do you mean that with the replay cued up I set the active camera looking at the car i want to be the center of the "replay world" then import the replay data from LFS?

I would be interested in trying a patched version, but if there are other things that your time would be better spent doing then I dont want to keep you from them
not a problem.

======
Fix : SPR replay recording would go out of sync when replaying.
Fix : MPR recording with replay seek did not give accurate MCI data. Now recording MPR data in real-time instead, although this is still not an ideal solution.
Fix : Some text processing related bugs when text contained non-ascii characters.
Fix : Some minor bugs related to controlling LFS before / while / after recording replay data.

Download
---------
Full : http://www.lfs.net/LFSRecord/LFSRecord2.0.10.zip
Patch : http://www.lfs.net/LFSRecord/LFSRecord2.0.10_Patch.zip
Quote from gandlers :Or do you mean that with the replay cued up I set the active camera looking at the car i want to be the center of the "replay world" then import the replay data from LFS?

yep, that would be the way to do it with this patch. So you click on 'import replay data from LFS' , setup the start and end time and then select the car to focus inside LFS. Then you start recording.
I'm thinking, if we can't come up with an ideal solution to record all cars with precision, then i might add a 'select car to focus' feature inside LFS Record, so that it'll do the focussing for you.
Excellent, thank you.

I will be working away this week and as I wont be able to get online racing I will see what I can do with this new LFSR version
It might have been asked before.. But is it possible to do Onboard videos yet?
You can make a camera follow a car and you can put that camera inside the car, or to the side or on top - whereever. But if you put it inside the car, there will be no mirrors and working dashboard, because LFS Record always uses shift-u mode.
Quote from Victor :You can make a camera follow a car and you can put that camera inside the car, or to the side or on top - whereever. But if you put it inside the car, there will be no mirrors and working dashboard, because LFS Record always uses shift-u mode.

Roger that. Thanks
Quote from Hahmo :It might have been asked before.. But is it possible to do Onboard videos yet?

For on-board videos it would be better to record using Fraps directly from LFS, with custom camera, so you get mirrors and a fixed cam
Quote from Whiskey :For on-board videos it would be better to record using Fraps directly from LFS, with custom camera, so you get mirrors and a fixed cam

I know, very well.. And I also know how shitty FPS i have and so on.
e.g MoE video added by me.

My laptop is gaming laptop but not good enough to record good videos with Fraps, with higher fps than 10..
Recording at 0.5x would double your FPS, no?

Not as confortable as recording at 1x, but could made the trick for you.
Quote from Whiskey :Recording at 0.5x would double your FPS, no?

Not as confortable as recording at 1x, but could made the trick for you.

I've tried to record with all the slower speeds that's possible in LFS (slower than normal) and it really makes no difference..
Victor, are you still interested in crash reports for LFSRecord?

While moving a camera in LFSRecord, the program crashed. Unfortunately, I can not load the project (*.lfsrec) I was working on to replicate the crash. (LFSRecord hangs when i try that) I've attached the offending lfsrec as a zip file if that helps.

Edit: I can't seem to duplicate the problem. I reinstalled lfsrecord, and it's working fine now.
Attached files
crash.zip - 566 B - 290 views
yes I certainly want to learn about crashes.

I just don't have LFS Record very high on priority atm, because I don't think many people actually use it and I'm not using it atm either. But that will change at some point.

So if you ever find another crash, just post about it here with all info, etc. and I'll have a look.
Some ppl use it.
I can't figure out how to record on other speeds than 1x if it is even possible...I'd like to make slowmo movie using this sw and I'd like to avoid recording at 100fps and then lowering it to 20fps to get the desired effect, is there another way?
if you want to make the animation (set keyframes etc) at 25 fps (not 20 i assume), then just make your animation at that fps. When you're ready to record, just change the project fps to 100 and record the frames.
The outcome will be exactly what you want.
Your tutorial videos dont really work. mp4 formatt? my quicktime gives an error message when i try to view them. Was the same on 4 different computers.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG