The online racing simulator
Possible way of making LFS cars backfire.
Hey I've got an idea but Im not very good at sound editing so maybe one of yoou guys could give it a whirl.

Anyway with the turbo cars take the blowoff noise and then add backfires after it for say 10 seconds, so say if you rev the motor out and then throttle off it will pop and crackle and stop as you get back on the throttle. I know it won't be rev dependant but I think it could sound pretty cool.

Do you guys think this would be possible?
#2 - Lible
Well, i believe it is possible, but it's pretty hard to do tought. Anyway, i really can't see the point of this... do F1 cars have backfire... no, but Nascar cars? (well, don't ask me )
backfire is a cool effect. Especially seen on WRC cars... It is amazing sometimes. And I think backfires have all kind of racing cars... GTR, WRC, GT. I dont know anything about a reason why this effect does exitst but it is cool ...
Well, there was a thread running in Improvement Suggestions, which was about backfire being useful for the turbocharged GTR's. It would be useful for charging the turbo again quickly after you let go of the throttle.

Edit: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=6443
#5 - neRu
F1's have ocassionally backfire, not much, but there is a little.

Every hard tuned engine which runs a little rich backfires.
I dont think backfire shuld be in LFS at all. Have u see UF1 with backfire ? yes only on movie
Quote from Citywidemicke :I dont think backfire shuld be in LFS at all. Have u see UF1 with backfire ? yes only on movie

Well the backfire as itself is just and effect. Nice to have where it realistically should be. I don't think there is any precise reason why UF1 should not backfire under certain conditions? No catalysator, etc...
#8 - SamH
Long-term, I don't see why LFS wouldn't have backfiring cars. Obviously not all of them, but GTR class cars do backfire occasionally if the fuel mixture is rich. F1 cars do but only very occasionally, as nErU pointed out. UF1000 probably wouldn't, under most normal situations.

Eventually what is real will be simulated in LFS. One thing though.. this is LFS we're talking.. don't expect to see it until it can be done PROPERLY.. and that won't happen until car setups include engine tuning. That aspect of motorsport I don't think we'll see until S3.

But expect it then!
Yeah I didnt mean for it to be realistic I just wanted someone to try it with the bov noise so the turbo cars crackle a bit. Thought it would be a nice wanky sound effect.
problem with this itd happen EVERY time you shift. Nice idea, but i rly wudnt want to hear the car backfire everytime i shift, itd get a tad bit annoying. Ill leave it to the devs to implement at a later stage
Not every car must have backfire, only the GT cars for example would be cool to have it. It brings the realism higher
There needs to be a misfire sound effect, when you are running out of gas for example. NOT backfiring though.
uuh guys its called a anti-lag system (ALS) and the way that turbo in the XRT is workin it needs one horribly the als boosts the turbo and stop it from taking so long to charge up and depending on the car u get a varying sound effect if u want loud get one for your subaru :P
Quote from Citywidemicke :I dont think backfire shuld be in LFS at all. Have u see UF1 with backfire ? yes only on movie

Backfire != ALS :chairs:

As said, even F1 cars can have a backfire, but they're not running turbohargers, are they? No. WRC cars on the other hand pop EVERY time the driver lifts off (well, most of the time ). That's becausr they have antilag and the backfire is THE thing that makes spining the turbo (the air/gas mixture literaly explodes in the exhaust). A simple backfire is an accident if you will.

Quote from Hyperactive :Well the backfire as itself is just and effect. Nice to have where it realistically should be. I don't think there is any precise reason why UF1 should not backfire under certain conditions? No catalysator, etc...

Hyperactive thinking of an UFR maybe?

Quote from wheel4hummer :There needs to be a misfire sound effect, when you are running out of gas for example. NOT backfiring though.

Wouldn't a misfire come too llate? I mean, you could get it near the pits, but say, 100m after Aston GP finish line, a tad late, don't you think?
-
(Primoz) DELETED by Primoz : Merging into one post. Nicer that way.
insim app to make it happen? At least the sound...
Quote from Hyperactive :insim app to make it happen? At least the sound...

Yeah, now with Outgauge this and new turbo sounds/blow off valves and all the other audiocandy (random rattles at high speeds, etc) are totally feasible.
Quote from xaotik :Yeah, now with Outgauge this and new turbo sounds/blow off valves and all the other audiocandy (random rattles at high speeds, etc) are totally feasible.

So it would be possible to have transmission noises, plus other sounds, like going over curb too agressively, flatspot sound (?), etc.

Kegetys...?
Quote from Hyperactive :So it would be possible to have transmission noises, plus other sounds, like going over curb too agressively, flatspot sound (?), etc.

Transmission sounds sure. Bump noises from hitting curbs could possibly be done using Outsim (which has been around for some time) too. But flatspot sounds are a no go, there is no output of tyre-related data.
Quote from xaotik :Transmission sounds sure. Bump noises from hitting curbs could possibly be done using Outsim (which has been around for some time) too. But flatspot sounds are a no go, there is no output of tyre-related data.

But if the flatspot changes the tyre form (if it does in LFS), making the tyre "octagonal", it should affect to the suspension... But I guess it would be quite hard to make it work right
Primoz knows the score

I'm only a demo racer but i'll put my 2c in regardless.

I think backfire would get annoying unless it's random. Can you imagine if it popped EVERY time you lifted the throttle? Yikes!

Is it possible to get the backfire running a looped sound file (with random inserts of the sound) while only on decel? So not when you instantly lift the throttle, but while the car is revving down, as it would be normally (not taking anti-lag into consideration there... but i don't think any of the cars in LFS have anti-lag do they? :P )

Cheers
Quote from z323 :I love watching the V8 Supercars because of the backfire they produce.

That's just sad....
Quote from Lible :Well, i believe it is possible, but it's pretty hard to do tought. Anyway, i really can't see the point of this... do F1 cars have backfire... no, but Nascar cars? (well, don't ask me )

Are you kidding????? F1 cars backfire whenever they lift off the throttle! Sure, flames don't shoot out the exhaust pipe, but you can definately hear it. I was at the USGP, and we sat at the end of the back straight, hearing the cars backfire under braking was very cool. The BMWs backfired the most, and the Honda's the least, but they all did it.
Nascars backfire. Ive seen them do it on the road courses. But, cars never really backfire on a big oval.
a bit late for me to post here...
but have u ever seen a car crash at 220kph and still beeing able to drive??
well i'd think every car backfires at some point. My buddy took the catalytic converter out of his Honda. It back fires a whole hell of alot now.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG