The online racing simulator
Quote from indo420 :well i'd think every car backfires at some point. My buddy took the catalytic converter out of his Honda. It back fires a whole hell of alot now.

Did he rewire the catalyst temperature sensor, or is the ECU under the impression it's not warming up, and over/under fueling to try and compensate? But no car made in the last 10 years should backfire as it would automatically mean it would fail emissions tests and wreck economy.
Quote from tristancliffe :Did he rewire the catalyst temperature sensor, or is the ECU under the impression it's not warming up, and over/under fueling to try and compensate? But no car made in the last 10 years should backfire as it would automatically mean it would fail emissions tests and wreck economy.

You take the restrictive sound deadening exhaust off, and you'll hear it everytime you go from wot to 0 throttle on any vehical bud. Its not possible to go to 14.7 A/F when you let off.
F1 cars definately backfires. Maybe they do a bit less, but they used to. Here's the 1999 BAR backfiring slowing down at Monza (Click here (don't mind all the characters, just listen)) Like said before, there's no big fire stuff... well... sometimes we can see it... lol... But anyways. Backfire sound would be good for some cars... Like the GTRs... But that's all really... And I don't think it would have all that much point.
Sure, when you change your exhaust you will notice the backfire. But i think what Tristan's point was (correct me if i'm wrong Tristan) that in changing the exhaust, you are also putting the car under the same category of those that would "fail the emissions test". i.e; if it pops, then it fails emissions.

That being said, you don't need to remove a cat converter to make your exhaust pop, all my cars with aftermarket exhausts have popped on decel.

But this is all a little off topic. I personally like the idea of backfiring in LFS, but only on decel, and only from GTR type vehicles and possibly the option to turn it on/off in the options.
^^ that's a HUGE backfire! Love it!

Nah, there isn't any point to the cars backfiring in the game, it's just an aesthetically pleasing contribution to realism. Theres 1000 things that are more important, but if it's an easy thing to do, then i think there are a few LFS players out there who would find this kinda thing really appealing.
Quote from BoGGis :But when it comes to for example formula 1 cars, they have to pit, and so they have to build their engines so that it doesnt waste petrol like rally cars do.

Don't F1 cars get about 4MPG? And, if you took off the catalayic converters, then you have to rewire the O2 sensors, or put them up in the headers I think.
Quote from Galthar :backfire is a cool effect. Especially seen on WRC cars... It is amazing sometimes. And I think backfires have all kind of racing cars... GTR, WRC, GT. I dont know anything about a reason why this effect does exitst but it is cool ...

Well, not all cars have backfire. When a car backfires, its a sign that it gets to much petrol. commonly this aint a problem (rally, Rallycross etc.) But when it comes to for example formula 1 cars, they have to pit, and so they have to build their engines so that it doesnt waste petrol like rally cars do.

so, now you know
I'd like to see backfires- where appropriate(sp?). GT4 implemented them, but they are in every car, and occour in every shift. It's horrible.

I'd want some of the higher powered- racing cars to backfire- on downshifts. With the flameout. Cars don't tend to backfire on upshifts.
Goto youtube.. s3 sound preview, thats what we want..!
ROFL, the XRR from outside sounded like a jet approaching
XRR Turbine Edition
Love that video!
THAT is how I want LFS to sound. Like a real friggin car!
Quote from tristancliffe :Did he rewire the catalyst temperature sensor, or is the ECU under the impression it's not warming up, and over/under fueling to try and compensate? But no car made in the last 10 years should backfire as it would automatically mean it would fail emissions tests and wreck economy.

I have Seen a bone stock RSX/Integra Type S backfire.
Hi people...
Sorry for my bad english...
If the LFS can not make backfires, why not (for testing) one pro on making .raw files, make one sound for blowoff sound of turbos, like ( POUUM pumpum ), so when you drive the car from inside, it look's like a backfire...
can anyone make this sound for testing? i like it...
Thanks...
I assume your talking about when the throttle is let up on heavily tuned cars when unburnt fuel burns at the end of the exhaust with a crackle noise. It would be nice on GTR cars as it has quite often and only occasionally with F1 cars.
Quote from Shinanigans :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... arch=s3%20sound%20preview

Hell yeah.

ive seen that vid earlier too and again i have to submit thats the kind of sound that i want.
alot ppl will come.
dang all cars sound like ricers then~~
lol idc, its awesome sound.
played the rfactor demo physics crap but loved the engine sound.
such an engine sound would be an huge improvement and raise the driving
fun +300%
I just tried make a sound for blow off turbo , like: PUM! PUM! on "Sound Forge 8.0", but the sound stay like ppffum pfuumm...
Please make one sound like this...
sorry my bad english
LOL

thats just the sound of a skyline dubbed over the top thats not s3 and thats not how its going to sound.

However itd be awesome if it did sound like that.
Quote from Foliage :
thats just the sound of a skyline dubbed over the top thats not s3 and thats not how its going to sound.

Well done Einstein we all know that :uglyhamme
Maybe, a temporary solution could be making the BOV sound like backfire, but ofcourse that wouldn't be completely realistic.

Quote from Foliage :LOL

However itd be awesome if it did sound like that.

"Maybe, a temporary solution could be making the BOV sound like backfire, but of course that wouldn't be completely realistic."

Can anyone try make this???
i think it´s a good temporary solution...

cheers

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG