The online racing simulator
iPad
(211 posts, started )
Quote from 510N3D :Yeah 700g, that is pretty heavy, for an infant perhaps.

clearly youve never held anything up in the same position without movement for any prolonged amount of time

Quote :Besides the fact that I've said "afaik", which should imply that I haven't been quite sure about that statement though, the charts of that website and common sense are telling me that laptops are still not capable of doing 10 hours straight, at least not when it comes down to heavy usage, like playing games or watching high definition videos.

neither is the ipad

Quote :They usually have much bigger screens and actually a totally different hardware structure than the iPad...

in other words they are better and more useable
Quote from Jakg :Do you think the iPad will last 10 hours playing games or watching an HD film (with its non HD screen?)?

I doubt it somehow.

I heard the other name for it was the "TAM PAD"

AAnt
iPad is overrated like any other apple products. Youtube is full of stupid iPad videos.
Quote from Shotglass :clearly youve never held anything up in the same position without movement for any prolonged amount of time

Clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about. Besides, who says that I have to sit there and hold it, for so long in the first place anyway?

Quote from Shotglass :neither is the ipad

When they say it will run about ten hours straight, independent of what you're doing, it will most likely work that way. Who are you to say otherwise, if you haven't even tried it yet?

Quote from Shotglass :in other words they are better and more useable

That depends on the priorities each and everyone has, something that differs to one another and which you obviously haven't figured out yet.
Quote from 510N3D :Clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about. Besides, who says that I have to sit there and hold it, for so long in the first place anyway?

When they say it will run about ten hours straight, independent of what you're doing, it will most likely work that way. Who are you to say otherwise, if you haven't even tried it yet?

That depends on the priorities each and everyone has, something that differs to one another and which you obviously haven't figured out yet.

Ok Smart "ARSE" First one that dies while using it wins.

I won't wish that distinction on you.

Be Well.

AAnt
Quote from Takumi_lfs :iPad is overrated like any other apple products. Youtube is full of stupid iPad videos.

It does take away the quote which reads "It was a page turner of a book"

AAnt
Quote from 510N3D :Besides, who says that I have to sit there and hold it, for so long in the first place anyway?

the simple fact that there is no other way of using it maybe? your sitting at a desk or at least in an upright chair so theres no way of resting it on your thighs and playing it down on the desk and looking down for several hours will quickly become rather uncomfortable
the only way to use such a device comfortable for hours is when youre lying on the sofa

Quote :When they say it will run about ten hours straight, independent of what you're doing, it will most likely work that way. Who are you to say otherwise, if you haven't even tried it yet?

they say it will run for up to 10 hours which is one of the most meaningless marketing expressions common in mobile devices

Quote :That depends on the priorities each and everyone has, something that differs to one another and which you obviously haven't figured out yet.

you do realise that even peolpe who think apple can do no wrong are throughly underwhelmed by the thing because it just simply isnt very good at anything?
Quote from Shotglass : they say it will run for up to 10 hours which is one of the most meaningless marketing expressions common in mobile devices

same for ISP's stating "speeds of up to blah blah blah."

10 hours for mp3 playback is very do-able but not for video (4 hours max).
[/QUOTE]
You do realise that even peolpe who think apple can do no wrong are throughly underwhelmed by the thing because it just simply isnt very good at anything?[/QUOTE]

Said it before, I'll say it again, First one that dies using it wins, I'm sure they have helped people, these over rated devices, ( Guy in Vancouver signaled a rescue team with his IPOD) and of course we don't hear about day today stuff.

One wonders when someone will go head on into the next lane and change peoples lives forever.

You wouldn't drive with a laptop in the middle of your wheel, but this seems to fit.

Disagree, fit it on your MOMO DFP G25/G27.

AAnt
Quote from Shotglass :the simple fact that there is no other way of using it maybe? your sitting at a desk or at least in an upright chair so theres no way of resting it on your thighs and playing it down on the desk and looking down for several hours will quickly become rather uncomfortable
the only way to use such a device comfortable for hours is when youre lying on the sofa

See, you don't know what you're talking about.

Even without anything, one could still take just two objects, one to lean against and perhaps another on to prevent it from sliding away.

Quote from Shotglass :
they say it will run for up to 10 hours which is one of the most meaningless marketing expressions common in mobile devices

Well, I don't know if it will or not will last that long. Matter of fact is that firstly, it would by stupid to make such a statement in the first place when it's infact not even doing eight or even less hours straight, and secondly it is a waste of time to keep on arguing about it when neither of us can disprove the other one, would you agree? Or can you actually disprove this statement yet?

Quote from Shotglass :
you do realise that even peolpe who think apple can do no wrong are throughly underwhelmed by the thing because it just simply isnt very good at anything?

Now this is infact a meaningless expression and proves just how much interest you have in a proper discussion about it. If you don't want it nor need it, and again, if it doesn't fit your needs, don't buy it, simple as that. I don't give a damn about what other people think about it, and once again, I'm thinking about getting one, and it would be the first Apple product for me, ever. So much for the fanboyism in this regard, just in case you're running out of ideas and decide to switch to that level.
Quote from Shotglass :the simple fact that there is no other way of using it maybe? your sitting at a desk or at least in an upright chair so theres no way of resting it on your thighs and playing it down on the desk and looking down for several hours will quickly become rather uncomfortable

NahNah, that's one big oversight.

One month before it comes out you will find Ipad stands ten times bigger than the Ipad itself selling for 30 USD.....
Quote from 510N3D :When they say it will run about ten hours straight, independent of what you're doing, it will most likely work that way. Who are you to say otherwise, if you haven't even tried it yet?

Base on the Iphone not living up to its claimed "mileage" in real life I am not so optimistic.
Quote from 510N3D :See, you don't know what you're talking about.

http://www.blu.fm/uploads/whatshot/gallery/3462/20525.jpg

seen those before cant picture anyone carrying the keyboard one (the only one thats practical) around all the time
plus it hasnt got a mouse so you still have to hold your arm up all the time which is almost as uncomfortable as holding 700g up all the time and incidentally the reason why touchscreens on desktop pcs all failed to sell

Quote :Even without anything, one could still take just two objects, one to lean against and perhaps another on to prevent it from sliding away.

great... btw ever heard of netvertibles or convertible notebooks? the do everything the ipad does better and guess what they come with 2 very clever objects built in called a hinge and a keyboard which accomplish just that

Quote :it would by stupid to make such a statement in the first place when it's infact not even doing eight or even less hours straight

good luck trying to find an iphone that comes anywhere close to the running time jobs stated in its presentation

Quote :Or can you actually disprove this statement yet?

not as such but i can give you plenty of examples of mobile products both from apple and other companies that require some sort of ridiculous impractical usage scenario to get anywhere close to their stated battery life

Quote :Now this is infact a meaningless expression and proves just how much interest you have in a proper discussion about it.

its a meaningful example of how even the most rosy tinted spectacles of all the rose tinted ones are no match for the amazing uselessness of the ipad
Quote from Shotglass :seen those before cant picture anyone carrying the keyboard one (the only one thats practical) around all the time
plus it hasnt got a mouse so you still have to hold your arm up all the time which is almost as uncomfortable as holding 700g up all the time and incidentally the reason why touchscreens on desktop pcs all failed to sell

This is a very poor attempt of covering up your personal inability to be or think practical. You don't have to hold it all day long nor do you have to put it into such an uncomfortable position that it will break your wrists after a few minutes or so. The reason it has no mouse is because it has a touch screen, and the reason for that is simple to be much more independent in terms of usage mostly.

Also you could think of it this way, a mouse has always had been a replacement for something like a touch screen. Surely, there are many things that can be done way quicker or easier with a mouse, but the same applies to the touch screen, whilst this method of interaction is still far more practical and more efficient for most situations, at least it would be for me though.

Quote from Shotglass :
great... btw ever heard of netvertibles or convertible notebooks? the do everything the ipad does better and guess what they come with 2 very clever objects built in called a hinge and a keyboard which accomplish just that

"Everything" is so inappropriate in this regard (especially considering the time you've spent on this device altogether), and well, that does not changes the fact that they are much heavier and much bigger than the iPad is. Not sure about the battery duration, but I'm assuming that the iPad will beat most of them in this area as well, mostly because it has an accumulator from a laptop (afaik), a smaller screen... et cetera.

Quote from Shotglass :
good luck trying to find an iphone that comes anywhere close to the running time jobs stated in its presentation

Comparing apples and oranges huh?

Quote from Shotglass :
not as such but i can give you plenty of examples of mobile products both from apple and other companies that require some sort of ridiculous impractical usage scenario to get anywhere close to their stated battery life

So you obviously can't disprove it yet. Time will tell, as they say.

Quote from Shotglass :
its a meaningful example of how even the most rosy tinted spectacles of all the rose tinted ones are no match for the amazing uselessness of the ipad

Quote from 510N3D : If you don't want it nor need it, and again, if it doesn't fit your needs, don't buy it, simple as that.

Mumbling about it cannot change the fact that you're having a lot of preconceptions, for some obvious and correct reasons perhaps, but even more for many uncalled for reasons mostly.

Personally, I will wait until it is in fact available over here in europe (together with a proper internet deal), and hopefully won't be as costy anymore by then, though SSD flash drives are the main reason for this (afaik).

Quote from 510N3D :This is a very poor attempt of covering up your personal inability to be or think practical.

ah that must be why i get paid for thinking practically

Quote :You don't have to hold it all day long nor do you have to put it into such an uncomfortable position that it will break your wrists after a few minutes or so.

yeah you do
the typical apple esque featureless body doesnt help much in this regard either

Quote :The reason it has no mouse is because it has a touch screen, and the reason for that is simple to be much more independent in terms of usage mostly.

a touch screen is a neat thing to have in addition to a mouse/trackpad but there are very good reasons why no company ever has managed to make a device like the ipad successful and its not because they arent apple

Quote :Also you could think of it this way, a mouse has always had been a replacement for something like a touch screen.

it just isnt theres so many scenarios is which a mouse is the better choice the most important one being anything where a touch screen requires you to hold up your arm and point at it all the time

Quote :Surely, there are many things that can be done way quicker or easier with a mouse, but the same applies to the touch screen, whilst this method of interaction is still far more practical and more efficient for most situations, at least it would be for me though.

as i was saying theres something to be said about a device that has both on board but just the screen alone will severely cripple you ability to use the device

Quote :"Everything" is so inappropriate in this regard (especially considering the time you've spent on this device altogether)

ill quote jerry holkins on this one
"That iPad presentation had to be the worst thing I've even seen on on the Apple stage. There is a part where they - I am not making a joke - there is a part where they try to make creating spreadsheets seem awesome."
point is theres nothing special that the ipad is able to do and that you cant do on eg a netbook and most importantly a netbook will allow you to do it all at the same time

Quote :and well, that does not changes the fact that they are much heavier and much bigger than the iPad is.

well maybe but not uncomfortably so

Quote :Not sure about the battery duration, but I'm assuming that the iPad will beat most of them in this area as well, mostly because it has an accumulator from a laptop (afaik), a smaller screen... et cetera.

i rather doubt that

Quote :Comparing apples and oranges huh?

yeah obviously comparing device that are basically just larger and smaller versions of each other is not at all logical or viable or anything

Quote :though SSD flash drives are the main reason for this (afaik).

certainly not
atm you can buy a ssd with more capacity than the largest ipad and which i can almost guarantee is faster than the ssd in the ipad and it costs less than the difference between the 16 and 64 gig versions
The announced battery life for a iPod is usually way under what you'll get, assuming that you use it as the average person would, and that means not letting it play for 12 hours straight, but instead switching songs rather often, and browsing your songs.

Personally, I browse my songs a lot, and I know for a fact that the battery bars on my iPod go down heavily when I do that. Sure, they then stabilize, and even go up, but that at least shows that simply browsing through your songs is heavy battery consumption.

Same probably goes for the iPad. Pretending that it will get any specific time of battery life, regardless of the activity, is brainless at best, and a canard at worse. Consistently watching movies with all sorts of options turned on will inevitably shorten the battery life.

Also, what happens when the battery dies on that thing? Obviously I guess you'll have to send it to Apple, for a fee, and get an all new one (or at least a refurbished one). Another downside for the thing...

Personally, I don't see why I'd need to fill the gap between the mp3 player and the laptop. What's likely to happen is that it will try do the work of both, worse than the laptop and mp3 player. You want your mp3 player to be portable, so the iPad obviously doesn't leave the start-box in the race against the mp3 player. As for the laptop, you want it, among other things, to be powerful, convenient, widescreen, long lasting and versatile, none of which I think the iPad will be.
Very uninspired design, lacked important features and overpriced.

If it had been same form factor running full OS X with additional Iphone/Touch-esque UI on top or as a switchable mode it could have been worth the money.

Suddenly the HP Slate looks like a winner with full Win7 (already has a good base for multitouch) and I can actually do some emergency work on the road.
Quote from Shotglass :ah that must be why i get paid for thinking practically

Right, this still doesn't devitalise my observation.

Quote from Shotglass :
yeah you do
the typical apple esque featureless body doesnt help much in this regard either

Says who? The manual for gross motor skills?

Quote from Shotglass :
a touch screen is a neat thing to have in addition to a mouse/trackpad but there are very good reasons why no company ever has managed to make a device like the ipad successful and its not because they arent apple

And they, whoever really attemted to build one, only failed because of the lack of acceptance for such a product rather then the creation & realisation of it (specifications, usability ect.) ? Would be nice if you could show me some of the predecessors there are.

Quote from Shotglass :
it just isnt theres so many scenarios is which a mouse is the better choice the most important one being anything where a touch screen requires you to hold up your arm and point at it all the time

as i was saying theres something to be said about a device that has both on board but just the screen alone will severely cripple you ability to use the device

While I do agree that both ways together would make it even better than just of it, you'd had to be a total idiot in order to mutilate yourself while using a touch screen.

Quote from Shotglass :
ill quote jerry holkins on this one
"That iPad presentation had to be the worst thing I've even seen on on the Apple stage. There is a part where they - I am not making a joke - there is a part where they try to make creating spreadsheets seem awesome."
point is theres nothing special that the ipad is able to do and that you cant do on eg a netbook and most importantly a netbook will allow you to do it all at the same time

Just like you, he most likely don't get it because he didn't liked it in the first place.

Quote from Shotglass :
well maybe but not uncomfortably so

Maybe not for you, but certainly for me.

Quote from Shotglass :
i rather doubt that

And you're entitled to have this kind of opinion, just don't pretent that you're able to know the results just by looking at other products from the same company, it just doesn't make sense whatsoever.

Quote from Shotglass :
yeah obviously comparing device that are basically just larger and smaller versions of each other is not at all logical or viable or anything

"Basically", apples and oranges could be compared to some extent, but whilst looking at the details, they are not the same anymore either.

Quote from Shotglass :
certainly not
atm you can buy a ssd with more capacity than the largest ipad and which i can almost guarantee is faster than the ssd in the ipad and it costs less than the difference between the 16 and 64 gig versions

Perhaps you're right, I just couldn't be arsed to do some research on this one yet. But without the 16 GB, it would be 399$, and I'm rather curious as how much of that would be left once you'd take the iPad apart and calculate all the parts together, in order to justify the "rip off statement" some people have raised.
Quote from 510N3D :Right, this still doesn't devitalise my observation.

yeah it does

Quote :Says who? The manual for gross motor skills?

logic?

Quote :Would be nice if you could show me some of the predecessors there are.

go to google type in "tablet pc" and enjoy
an no i will not make this easy for you because of 2 reasons
1) im lazy
2) i rally cant be bothered to figure out how all of these are called
youre acting like youve just arrived from 1800something and are completely baffled by technology that has been around for at least 10 years and never took off on anything other than niche specialty applications

Quote :While I do agree that both ways together would make it even better than just of it, you'd had to be a total idiot in order to mutilate yourself while using a touch screen.

im not sure you understood what i said there

Quote :Just like you, he most likely don't get it because he didn't liked it in the first place.

or maybe because it simply isnt anything special?
just one simple example the minimum load i put on any computer i use for nearly 100% of the time is
- an email client
- an icq client
- an irc client
- spotify or some other player
- a browser often multiple ones
and thats before i actually open up anything productive or fun
does the ipad allow that bare minimum of functionality? well... no

Quote :And you're entitled to have this kind of opinion, just don't pretent that you're able to know the results just by looking at other products from tvhe same company, it just doesn't make sense whatsoever.

yes because obviously it makes no sense to judge the amount of lying in marketing of a certain company based on past evidence
Just tried one in PC world. It is far too heavy for what it is. And doesn't do much more than my iPod touch. Overall a big big gimic.
gunna be going to manchester apple store next week ill have a go at one. probably end up buying one

iPad
(211 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG