The online racing simulator
Where's the shift light?
(103 posts, started )
Where's the shift light?
No shiftlight for roadcars anymore?

I just downloaded and installed the latest patch. Did I just not see it or is the shiftlight gone?

I mean, ok, most real roadcars don't have a shiftlight, probably because they - as opposed to the LFS casrs - need to be shifted not before the red line anyway, BUT I think if you went on a racing track with serious intentions you would want to know where the ideal shiftpoint is... so you would at least have some data from dynoruns.

Apart from that the ABS is cool, as you definitely do not feel the brakes in simulations. And the arrow that shows you in which direction you have to leave the pits is nice too.
no more shift light
Rev Counter (Y)
The engine sound tells you when you need to shift. Real men don't need a shift light.
Quote from hrtburnout :The engine sound tells you when you need to shift. Real men don't need a shift light.

if only i didnt have sound lag :|
Dunno how to sort it out... *linux/wine
Try to decrease it in Options > Misc > Sound lag
Quote from hrtburnout :The engine sound tells you when you need to shift. Real men don't need a shift light.

That's actually BS, and I pretty much expected someone would say something like this.

How would the sound of the engine tell you anything about the next gear?

The sound can tell you when you'd better shift to avoid engine damage, or - if you already know the ideal shiftpoint - give you a hint because you remember the pitch, but the sound of the engine tells you nothing about the powercurve and gear ratios.
There's still a "shift up" button, no ?
Quote from GianniC :There's still a "shift up" button, no ?

He is on about the red LED that comes up on the dashboard telling you its ideal to move up a gear
Quote from Bandit77 :the sound of the engine tells you nothing about the powercurve and gear ratios.

Sure it does. If the pitch is increasing quickly then you're accelerating quickly, if the pitch increase starts to slow down, try shifting up.

The problem (for me) is that the cars all rev so high, I'm not used to hearing engines hit notes that high so they all sound way off to me.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Sure it does. If the pitch is increasing quickly then you're accelerating quickly, if the pitch increase starts to slow down, try shifting up.

I don't know if it makes any sense at all to explain it. I mean, if you really thought about it and/or questioned the/your logic behind it, you'd realize yourself that it's bollocks. If you don't, then explaining it is a waste of time.
I'm sorry, how hard is it to listen to the engine sound and change gear before you hit the rev limiter?

If you struggle, put it in Automatic and it will change gear for you.
Quote from Bandit77 :That's actually BS, and I pretty much expected someone would say something like this.

The sound can tell you when you'd better shift to avoid engine damage, or - if you already know the ideal shiftpoint - give you a hint because you remember the pitch, but the sound of the engine tells you nothing about the powercurve and gear ratios.

It is true, obviously lol, you can hear when to change gear by the sound and pitch of the engine, of course you can, i am really struggling to comprehend how anybody can dispute this very simple fact.
If we're making things more realistic we should get shift beeps on the top-end race cars. F1 drivers get beeps through their earphones telling them when to shift.

Annoying as hell, especially if they come at the wrong time.
-
(AndroidXP) DELETED by AndroidXP
Quote from Bandit77 :That's actually BS, and I pretty much expected someone would say something like this.

Your setup tells you about the next gear. The sound of the engine tells you where your powerband ends. Knowing the powerband should help you judge when to shift.

If the next gear is long, you'll need to shift late. If the next gear is short, you can shift a little earlier than average.

edit: The engine sound not only changes pitch, but you can also hear it lose grunt. When the sound not only raises pitch slower, but also loses grunt, you'll need to shift.

lol? Do u have a shiftlight in ur IRL car? i mean.. if not, HOW THE HELL can u drive it?

the way u argument, we need shiftlights in all cars just to be able to shift.. as the light seems to "magically" have something to do with the gears.. hmm.. sure in LFS thats true.. not IRL tho.. as IRL the goddamn rice-lights just light up at a pre-set value..
Quote from Bandit77 :If you don't, then explaining it is a waste of time.

Saying something like that is like saying "you are not clever enough to understand, I am obviously much more inteligent than you because I do understand."

I doubt you meant it like that but it is what you basically said.
Quote from Electric Eye :if only i didnt have sound lag :|
Dunno how to sort it out... *linux/wine

You solution for all your problems start with a W and end with indows 7
Only in Live For Speed:
New feature: Removed feature X.

No big deal, though saying it's not realistic to have a shift light on a street car isn't a very valid reason for removing something like this. Even a trained monkey could install himself an aftermarket shift light.

On another note, the small "SHIFT UP" icon with tiny font is way too small to see in the race cars. Something like this is much more realistic than such tiny unreadable text.
Bahh its for girls isn't it . Real men prefer this one
You do realize that LFS' shift light actually calculates the actual point where the torque at the wheels becomes larger on the next gear...good luck setting that up that on an aftermarket shift light.

What an aftermarket does, lighting up at a preset RPM, doesn't give you a lot of info on the ideal shift point for each gear even if you have the torque curve.

So racecars : LFS is fine

Road cars : either no shift light or a preset value one
I always preffered to start the mental process of shifting up a gear a fraction before the light changed anyway, I needed a pre-light light... :P

Seriously, the light in LFS comes on when you are in the wrong gear, and it takes some time for your eyes to recognise the light, your brain to process it, your fingers to react... If you where changing on the shift light you where changing roughly .1 - .2 of a second too late on every gear shift.

.2 of a second is a lot of time for a racing driver to voluntarily throw away.

Get rid of the light, and in so doing get rid of the distraction Audio is the only cue you need.
#23 - senn
get to know the vehicle. My real life car makes peak torque @ 5500rpm, peak power at 6500rpm, and hits the limiter at 7600rpm. so i usually shift somewhere around 6500-7000 (1st gear i let it run to the limiter, generally)
im with becky i trained my self in nearly every car to change just befor the light comes on it seems to help me gain a few extra kph at the end of each straight
#25 - Jakg
I must just be a driving god or something then because somehow I drive without a shift light OR a working tachometer.

Where's the shift light?
(103 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG