The online racing simulator
A New Destruction Derby Server!
Hey everyone!

As some of you probably know, I've always been a firm supporter of LFS Destruction Derby for well over a year now. But now I think it's time that I actually started up a DD server of my own to end the monopoly that is [CAD] Destruction Derby (they could do with some competition ).

I'll obviously need to get a server first, but I will be borrowing a server from someone in the next few days just to show the idea of the server to new (and old!) LFS DD racers before buying a server of my own. I'll most likely purchase this server sometime in the new year. I haven't fully decided on the name of the server yet, but it will be something along the lines of "LFS Destruction Derby" or probably a "team tag".

The style of "Destruction Derby" that I'll be promoting on the server is based on the [noobs] Destruction Derby server from last year: (http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=49882) and not the [CAD] server. As TVE said:
Quote from The Very End :There are basically no rules, first man to cross the line (or if arenas as skid pads, last man moving) is the winner. Layouts are various kind of freak set-ups with bales, tyres etc that are there for making it more chaotic and destructive atmosphere.

It'll be this idea over a multitude of tracks, usually using the Road class of cars (hopefully the Scirocco & Rockingham will be out sometime soon to provide a new flavour to DD racing).

Also, this new server will host home to the second season of the TBO-only Destruction Derby League (which had the [CAD] tag last season) which I hope will be much better-attended this time around than last season. I put this down due to a lack of commitment, e.g. some people who signed up never bothered to race, although there could be reasons for this. This second season will be announced nearer to the time.

I will announce in this thread when the temporary server is up, and will also announce when the permanent server is up (sometime in 2010).

If you've got any comments, suggestions or critcisms, then just post and I'll be happy on take them on board. Let's make this DD server one that's raced, adminned and fuelled by the LFS community, just like [noobs]!
Team MTDZX will support for the [CAD] Destruction Derby
[CAD] sucks, full of whining, power abusing admins.

Hopefully this new server will provide the great racing of the old [noobs] server
#4 - CSU1
...the problem with [CAD] and other servers is choice in track and layout, imo we should not have long straights where a wrecker is given the chance to ruin the race for others as this is where all the complaining begins.

Short city tracks with the lower powered cars is best if you ask me
Quote from CSU1 :...the problem with [CAD] and other servers is choice in track and layout, imo we should not have long straights where a wrecker is given the chance to ruin the race for others as this is where all the complaining begins.

Short city tracks with the lower powered cars is best if you ask me

Yeah, I agree with that but unfortunately most of the tracks in LFS aren't short city tracks. Plus some of the "classic" DD tracks don't have long straights; FE Club Reverse for example doesn't have a significantly long straight in it (well, except for the start/finish straight).
@ UM21: You're banned from commentating on this new server because of that comment.
#6 - CSU1
...imo the ONLY type of track for this kind of racing should make use of ramps and racing in figure eights with the collision zones as cars jump over one and other whilst making good use of the hay bales to stop major moon-launch collisions. Racing round a standard track in DD is just an analfest with drivers taking one and other out at the drop of a hat...it's very frustrating.
Quote from CSU1 :...imo the ONLY type of track for this kind of racing should make use of ramps and racing in figure eights with the collision zones as cars jump over one and other whilst making good use of the hay bales to stop major moon-launch collisions. Racing round a standard track in DD is just an analfest with drivers taking one and other out at the drop of a hat...it's very frustrating.

We'd only be stuck with one or two tracks if we did that
Plus taking people out to gain positions is kind of what DD racing is about.

In other news, it looks like I've got a temporary server for a bit starting from tomorrow (thanks EliteAti!) which will go under the name of LFS Destruction Derby.
Looking forward to this!
I'll be supporting Jon's new venture
good luck!

dont forget automatic restarts and track rotation!
Quote from Steven Seagal Is The Co :dont forget automatic restarts and track rotation!

That won't be included on the server :ices_rofl

Once the permanent server is up (already been offered one courtesy of Shadowww) there will be an insim on. Which one to choose: Airio or LFSLapper?
Quote from Jon606 :That won't be included on the server :ices_rofl

Once the permanent server is up (already been offered one courtesy of Shadowww) there will be an insim on. Which one to choose: Airio or LFSLapper?

Airio, it has auto restarts. And generally alot more handy insim nowadays.
Quote from EliteAti :Airio, it has auto restarts. And generally alot more handy insim nowadays.

Thanks x2: one for that info, and another because the server is up!!!!
LFS Destruction Derby is the place to go to!
fergoddsakes get an auto-restarter up
Quote from mookie427 :fergoddsakes get an auto-restarter up

Ati is installing Airio at the moment so it should be up soon.
Also get into the server!!!1
Woo! I LOVE DD servers, 80% of my LFS time is on them
Any bets on how long till ZENAJO tries to copy this one too?
Quote from CSU1 : .. to ruin the race for others ...

Isn't that the main target on a destruction Derby ?
Quote from Ger Roady :Isn't that the main target on a destruction Derby ?

No...
The main target (as stated in the first post) is to win by any means necessary. That doesn't mean trying to block the track and ruin people's races.
I guess you have also to follow the blue flag rule

Quote from The Very End :That's what I and the others try to. This is just..wrecking, but allowed. No one joines that server if they want to hotlap lol

blue flag rule shouldn't apply in DD servers
#22 - CSU1
Quote from Ger Roady :Isn't that the main target on a destruction Derby ?

...there's a thin line between having a good race destruction derby style and outright crashing into other drivers with no intent in holding a race line or trying gain position, I see it time and time again where at T1 driver X makes no attempt to brake going straight into the rear of drivers.

Light to heavy contact is what its all about, not a full blown analfest. Maybe I'm just whining myself, but I imagine a 'no front bumper contact' would make DD much much more interesting only allowing side contact, pit maneuvers are the ultimate thing that pisses me off.

e;

Could anyone tell me Would it be possible through insim to place a warning system in place whereby any car seen to accelerate and make contact at the front of the car gets a warning > warning 1 > warning 2 >warning 3 to pits???
Hi Jon. All I want to say is that I'll hope the server will do well,I'll defently participate in the next season of the league. If you need another helping hand then contact me.
Quote from CSU1 :...there's a thin line between having a good race destruction derby style and outright crashing into other drivers with no intent in holding a race line or trying gain position, I see it time and time again where at T1 driver X makes no attempt to brake going straight into the rear of drivers.

Light to heavy contact is what its all about, not a full blown analfest. Maybe I'm just whining myself, but I imagine a 'no front bumper contact' would make DD much much more interesting only allowing side contact, pit maneuvers are the ultimate thing that pisses me off.

e;

Could anyone tell me Would it be possible through insim to place a warning system in place whereby any car seen to accelerate and make contact at the front of the car gets a warning > warning 1 > warning 2 >warning 3 to pits???

+1 on the no more huge hits like you use to see at times

as for the server jon send me a pm and i will give you a remote desktop connection to a vm im running to host the server on, its running with hardware supported vm so it will be like logging in to a normal computer speed wise but its a vm so you can have full access to the box.
[CAD] Destruction Derby.. Yet you get banned for Hitting, Crashing ect..

Shite Server With Shite Admins, expecially spongey.. bans you for crashing LOL !

Anyway, Roll on this new server.. i am sick of being banned off CAD for crashing and as jon runs a banger league with me, i'm sure crashing won't get you banned !

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG