The online racing simulator
LFS installer final test
(66 posts, closed, started )
Quote from shashdev :I downloaded the installer and put it in this location:

C:\Documents and Settings\UserX\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

I have put it there because my laptop is from school and this is the only folder that allows .exe files to work. (My friends have been going crazy all year wondering how I got firefox to work). But, when I start the installer, it requires an admin login.

The laptop runs windows xp, so I was just wondering why the installer requires admin rights? Isn't one of the reasons for the installer so that in vista and 7 the program files things doesn't get blocked due to admin rights. Having the installer be admin enabled only just seems counter-intuitive.

Or is this just a problem with my computer? I have had all other program installers work fine (except for programs like flash because that requires admin rights as well. I just got the files for firefox from my other computer.)

Thanks,
Shashdev

Things not being blocked due to admin rights for Vista or 7 isn't the reason for the installer. You will still be asked for admin rights (see post above). Normally it's the XP users who don't get the admin request. But your laptop appears to be setup so that administrative changes do still require you to grant the installer admin rights.
the name of the installer when asking for admin rights is LFS_S2_Z25_setup.exe but the name of the uninstaller is AU_.exe
publisher unknown the both
- windows 7 64x
edit: when uninstalling it removes my other lfs icon from the desktop
Quote from BOSCHO :the name of the installer when asking for admin rights is LFS_S2_Z25_setup.exe but the name of the uninstaller is AU_.exe
publisher unknown the both
- windows 7 64x
edit: when uninstalling it removes my other lfs icon from the desktop

which other lfs icon would that be?
The uninstaller just removes the one it installed. There are no other desktop shortcut remove instructions.
Quote from Victor :which other lfs icon would that be?
The uninstaller just removes the one it installed. There are no other desktop shortcut remove instructions.

my other LFS shortcut destination is G:\lfsz\LFS.exe (lfs with mods (replaced textures, number plates etc..)) Version Z25 too
the name of the icon is "LFS"
mm is it possible to have shortcuts with exactly the same names? I tried it but it won't allow me which is kinda as expected.
I don't know what happened there. The installer creates an icon on your desktop named LFS.lnk and the uninstaller removes the icon named LFS.lnk from your desktop. That's all it does.
Quote from Ger Roady :I had 2 Installations . One in G and one in F. They shared a programm folder in Start/programms folder ( LFS and LiveforSpeed ). By de-installation from F (last one) it erased the complete Programm folder under Start/programms, so there is now no De-installation for the other Lfs installation in G: (?left/remaining?) .

+ there is a typo in the Deinstallation screen (Symbole and Smybole)

( bad english i know )

fixed the typo.

I've been thinking for a bit about this multi-install problem. But I'm not sure what to do about it.
Under normal use, noone has the need for more than one copy of LFS. But, with patch testing for example you need a second folder at least. Recommended would be a straight LFS folder copy, but like you already did and what others may do as well, you ran the installer again and that causes a problem.
I think it might be possible to have multiple, separated installs side by side, but need to ponder a bit more on this.
My computer is set to "Spanish (traditional alphabetization)". But the installer defaults to "Spanish (international alphabetization)" and I have to select "Spanish" manually.
Tested the danish translated installation. There's a few minor typo errors:

At the page with license agreement where it explains what to do, below it, it should be like the following (red text is the words i changed to correct danish)

"Tryk 'Jeg accepterer' hvis du ønsker at acceptere alle vilkårene i aftalen og fortsætte. Du skal acceptere vilkårene for at installere Live for Speed."

But that was also the only things to point out it seems. Good work
#34 - shim
Vic, for the multi install issue you are pondering, is it possible to have the installer write a install.log with all the file names and locations of each file, and only uninstall from the log file?
yes, an extra file will be needed. I'm working on it atm.
Ok the same file that's pointed to in the OP now can install multiple copies of LFS onto a computer.
There's a default naming scheme. The first copy will just be called LFS or Live for Speed. The second LFS (2) or Live for Speed (2), etc. to indicate the differences.
When you install the second or further copy the file association selection shortcuts will be deselected by default, as to keep those pointing to your original LFS install.

You can also safely overwrite an LFS install by just pointing to it when selecting the installation folder.

Furthermore I have done away with UAC by omitting the registry keys that make LFS appear in Add/Remove Programs. You will no longer be asked if the installer may acquire admin level access.

Also it's updated with a number of translation fixes.

Pff I hope this is good now
So it's back to being more of a guided self-extractor and won't leave a mess if you just delete the folder instead of properly uninstalling? Gets a +1 from me. The only thing I can see that would stay are the file associations, but it's not like that's any different to now.
Why LFS doesn't go to Program Files folder? And if I show the Program Files folder to the installer, it forgets to add /LFS!?
Attached images
bad.jpg
worse.jpg
shouldvebeen.jpg
Quote from AndroidXP :So it's back to being more of a guided self-extractor and won't leave a mess if you just delete the folder instead of properly uninstalling? Gets a +1 from me. The only thing I can see that would stay are the file associations, but it's not like that's any different to now.

in essense, yeah. It'll extract LFS into the folder you select and setup the shortcuts and associations you want and which you otherwise would have to manually setup.
The only extra thing it does is store one more registry entry in HKCU\Software\Live for Speed for the installation dir and language used during installation so the uninstall will use the same language after which it'll remove that entry again.
Quote from Renku :Why LFS doesn't go to Program Files folder? And if I show the Program Files folder to the installer, it forgets to add /LFS!?

please read here for more information about our choice of install location.

When you select your own folder to install it to, you must create it. You can do that via the browse button.
Quote from Victor :mm is it possible to have shortcuts with exactly the same names? I tried it but it won't allow me which is kinda as expected.
I don't know what happened there. The installer creates an icon on your desktop named LFS.lnk and the uninstaller removes the icon named LFS.lnk from your desktop. That's all it does.

renamed my other lfs icon name and the installer made its own. The uninstaller deleted the created shortcut. Its about the names
Oh, your using NSIS! An old friend!

BrandingText "Live For Speed (Z25) Installer"

I had a blast programming with NSIS, I hope hope your having a similar experience, if you have any question the Nullsoft guys are pretty good at answering them over at the NSIS Forms.

Quote from Victor :please read here for more information about our choice of install location.

When you select your own folder to install it to, you must create it. You can do that via the browse button.

That should not be the case, unless that's a new thing with Vista and Windows 7, where if you attempt to make a directory in $%PROGRAMFILES% it comes up with an error if you don't have an admin level account. (God, I hate Vista ...) Otherwise I've never had a problem with the installer making directories up as it goes along.
I've tested Polish instalation and uninstalation. All works fine, but translation and instal window size may need light changes.

First, (pic 1) in all languages the word 'Speed' is in the lower line. It could be more estethic if whole Live for Speed name was in the same line.

Second thing, is how letter shortcut "LFS" is used in Polish. In pics 2 and 3 you can see how we use foreign names/words with Polish grammar, but I think it not official speaking enough. We say:
w Live for Speedzie - in Live for Speed
w LFSie - in LFS
coś do LFSa - smth for LFS

It's ok to use in chat with friends but not in official release IMHO.

I've asked my ex, witch studies Polish language, and she says it can be just "LFS", without any letters.

Another thing is .lyt files called KJS. It's very good because everyone here knows what to expect, it's the same as autocross. But .lyt files are used also to change runoff areas on tracks (forced by servers etc.) right? In this case layout has nothing to do with KJS, but I will just point this out, I've no opinion about this.

Cross your fingers for friday release everybody! :bowdown:
Attached images
welcome.jpg
lfsa.jpg
lfsie.jpg
Layout
Quote from pasibrzuch :Another thing is .lyt files called KJS. It's very good because everyone here knows what to expect, it's the same as autocross. But .lyt files are used also to change runoff areas on tracks (forced by servers etc.) right? In this case layout has nothing to do with KJS, but I will just point this out, I've no opinion about this.

In Czech, which I think is very similar to Polish, everywhere is written "layout" - untranslated. I don't know any Czech translation of the word layout which means exactly what it should mean. It could be something like "layout of objects" which would be too long I think. That's why there's only "layout" in Czech.

I hope this will help somehow.
Quote from Flame CZE :In Czech, which I think is very similar to Polish, everywhere is written "layout" - untranslated. I don't know any Czech translation of the word layout which means exactly what it should mean. It could be something like "layout of objects" which would be too long I think. That's why there's only "layout" in Czech.

I hope this will help somehow.

Yes, I can't find any matching word too. I saw 'layout ' in Czech instalation and I was like "what?" Hrvatski version is untraslated there... Hungarian has smth like organised cones....

Edit: Now I think that once a fresh user will 'get 'it looking at KJS, he will forget it and use slang anyway - lejaut
Quote from Victor :...Under normal use, noone has the need for more than one copy of LFS. But, with patch testing for example you need a second folder at least....

The die-hard 7zip version we were speaking about could come handy here.
Who is into betatesting is already a kind of advanced user...
Quote from Victor :
Furthermore I have done away with UAC by omitting the registry keys that make LFS appear in Add/Remove Programs. You will no longer be asked if the installer may acquire admin level access.

Also it's updated with a number of translation fixes.

Pff I hope this is good now

Nice

But I missed one mistake in the german translation. It's the same one which I already posted, but in the deinstallation dialog:
And on the very last page the title is in the wrong tense. It should be "Die Deinstallation von Live for Speed wurde abgeschlossen" which is coherent with the next sentence
Quote from Not Sure :Works fine here (Win XP SP3)

Finnish text needs some final touches.

Please elaborate.
Quote from Scawen :
Please could you describe where it needs improvement?

As this is very near to release, we really need to know what the problems are so we can ask the translators to correct them.

Thanks!

Scawen has already responded
No possibility of a no-registry aka 'portable' option?
This thread is closed

LFS installer final test
(66 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG