The online racing simulator
LFS Moviemode Competition Round 1: cop chase
(29 posts, started )
this week's theme is cop chases (if it works out there will be more)

rules:

you are to create a movie resembling in some way a cop chase going on. It must be longer then 10 seconds, and may be made to look like a trailer.

cars: road cars only
tracks: all

all you need to have is a link to youtube, or any other free video sharing website, and an optional download for the movie. you are allowed to work in groups, and one person from the team is to post the movie, and state in clear words who was involved in the making. once you feel satisfied you must write in your post final entry and it will be accepted into voting as is!

all entrants post between the start of this thread, and 1 month from now (september 28, 2009)

use your own work. nothing old, and no illeagal mods!

thankyou and good luck to all
TBH I don't think it's going to work. Making movies takes more time then making an edit. Picture can take anywhere from an hour to 5 hours a video maybe 4 hours to 10 hours but IDK.
well since it is the first week, i am open to opinions...how long should the making perioud be?
#4 - JJ72
A month.

or all you get is shit entries.

*and shouldn't a video competition be held by someone who actually DOES videos? or is held in high regard in this aspect?*
ok i will edit it to be a month, i jusst thought it would be a good idea...i got the recomendation from the guy who does the photomode thing. nobody else was doing it
Don't think this is going to work, you could at least write properly in the first post since this is a competition and not just a common post. Don't see a point of this, because making a video takes lots of time. And there aren't that many movie makers after all, since 95% of those who know how to do things will not compete.
This should be run by someone who knows what it takes to make a movie...
Since, a task like a cop chase actually is :

1. Getting a server
2. Getting at least two proper drivers for the cop and protagonist
3. Getting traffic actors
4. Arranging a hell lot of schematics and posting it on a forum where all the actors could see it
5. Making the actors actually act, not to do random bull
6. Recording the footage, which will take more time, since camerawork is tricky when you have to keep a hell lot of different aspects of the action in the shot
7. Editing it to look good.
8. Compiling (which on some computers can take up to 5 hrs
9. Posting on YT....

Now, if you were to say next tast : Dragrace / Rac promo / Slomo RB4 and stuff like that - I'd see you actually know what's what... but giving a freaking most tedious task for any video maker as a part of a small competition is kind of showing us you're not qualified enough to do this
i just got the idea from photomode because i saw that he rarely competes, andjust seems to put it up

i thought, ok there is a photo competition for people who like editing pics, but there is no movie competition for people who like editing movies
I'd rather watch one good movie by a good moviemaker every 6 months than 5 shitty movies by 5 average or bad moviemakers once a month.
I think the idea is pretty ok.. but you really need to take care choosing a subject, becouse with more than 1 car in it, it takes a hell of a lot of time/resources etc. to do it as Squid said.

Subjects that require 1, maybe 2 cars would be best if you want to keep the competition active.. I donno.. but one month or maybe longer.. people might forget about it and stuff..
ok so here are my 2 questions...should i change the theme? if so what to?

how long should it be thatwas three
Quote from logitekg25 :ok so here are my 2 questions...should i change the theme? if so what to?

how long should it be thatwas three

I think so

Maybe a Squid said.. a car promo or something.. donno about the time for a deadline..

But I was just thinking, maybe a rule that says it has to contain in-game footage, so peolpe don't go making 'slideshow' videos.
If you are sure that you get at least some entrants the deadline should be maybe 3 months. This makes sure that the quality of the videos is good since they don't have to be rushed, IMO.
Trust me on this one - making a movie of these proportions is a tremendous headache and takes an awful lot to pull off.
Quote from Sponge :a car promo or something..

I call dibs on the scirocco advert when it comes out...
just dub it over top gear comments in their scirocco TDi advert - job done
keep in mind, it only has to be 10-15 seconds long (how long did i put for the deadline :shrugimo a month is plenty of time for 10-15 seconds of footage
#17 - JJ72
15 second isn't a movie.

It's a clip.

Recording 15 seconds of clip doesn't take a month, but planning ahead and trying to produce something meaningful with 15 secs only? That can take forever. How long do you think it takes someone to do a commerical that is original?
Quote from squidhead :I call dibs on the scirocco advert when it comes out...
just dub it over top gear comments in their scirocco TDi advert - job done

hm.. I'm expecting a masterpiece from you now
idk, i am not gifted enough for movie-making, but if companies hire the right person to make a commercial then it might not take too long.

i thought up a very good advertisement for iracing even though i have never played it, or even considered it

iracing if you see this please pm me :hide:
Quote from logitekg25 :keep in mind, it only has to be 10-15 seconds long (how long did i put for the deadline :shrugimo a month is plenty of time for 10-15 seconds of footage

Once again... people have told you why it's a bad idea, and once again I will repeat myself...
This competition, if there will be one ever done, should be hosted by someone who knows how to make lfs movies...
Cop chase videos take way too long to make, or just chase videos in general because majority of the community is hard to ferking work with if you don't hand pick everyone yourself.

If this is going to work limit the video length and ideas to easier stuff.
Quote from squidhead :Once again... people have told you why it's a bad idea, and once again I will repeat myself...
This competition, if there will be one ever done, should be hosted by someone who knows how to make lfs movies...

+ 1

The Photomode Competition was started by Lynce (who we all know can make a good photo edit), and it really did help to get the competition started, because he had the enthusiasm to present it properly. Even though he no longer runs it, all the people who have run it since (beefyman666, me (for 9 months, 28 rounds ), and now Furiously-Fast, have an interest in editing screenshots.

And I couldn't agree more on an extended entry period. Photomode was originally a 1 week competition, but even for picture editing, people thought that 1 week was too short (sometimes it took me a week to absorb the theme, and come up with an idea), so I don't know what sort of movie you were expecting people to make in 1 week.
can't there be a 3-week deadline for making the videos?
it never was set for 1 week, but does anybody want to take it over
Allright, here's my thought on how it should have been done

Quote from Somebody who knows how to make lfs movies :
this week's theme is car advert

Task:
You are to create a commercial for the RAC. The length of the video is limited to 60 seconds. You may use any skins you find necessary (as long as you have permission to use them) to make it look better or to make it look like a replica (a zonda / ferrari / any other real life car) and any track.
car: The only car allowed to be in the video is RAC, the quantity of RAC's is not limited
tracks: all

Bla bla bla
You have 2 weeks, since 1 week for having an idea is enough, and 1 week to record and edit 1 minute of video is also enough.

Now... detailed analysis

1. A seasoned video creator, as a host, will know what is hard to pull off while creating a video, and will set the task "just right" without making the contestants jumping through rings of fire over a shark pit, just to get all the necessary stuff for the task at hand.

2. A seasoned video creator, as a host, will know how much time will estimately be needed to create a video, of such complexity and will set a realistic deadline.

Best reason not to have this done at all ever : A video creator will only create the best video he can WHEN HE'S DOING SOMETHING HE IMAGINED HIMSELF, WITH HIS OWN IDEA, not when he's required to do something for someone

(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG