The online racing simulator
not the profiler, but only in game, so i can set the compensation to 1, and it will think it doesnt need to do anything in game and let me go to 900, cause it will think the 900 is 720. might not work
That's because no cars in LFS use more than 720° (yet). You will notice that up to 720°, the ingame wheel and your real wheel matched perfectly. Just don't turn your real wheel further.
i know, i just want the 900, but i dont want to have to fumble around in the options every time i switch car class (and i am about to be a whiner [please forgive me]) i also want the steering wheel to match the 900 degrees of my wheel, because i dont want to shut it off which will make it un-realistic in my eyes.
Quote from tristancliffe :900 in control panel, 900 in LFS and wheel turn compensation to 1.0 = perfectly in-sync real and virtual wheels in all cars.
720 in control panel, 720 in LFS and wheel turn compensation to 1.0 = perfectly in-sync real and virtual wheels in all cars.

Quote from logitekg25 :i know, i just want the 900, but i dont want to have to fumble around in the options every time i switch car class (and i am about to be a whiner [please forgive me]) i also want the steering wheel to match the 900 degrees of my wheel, because i dont want to shut it off which will make it un-realistic in my eyes.

What part of the above does not compute?

None of the cars will ever match your 900° because none of the cars use 900°. If you want the silly graphical wheel to match your real, physical wheel, use the settings that Tristan posted above.

If you want to use the full 900° of your wheel, you are going to have to set your wheel turn compensation to something other than 1 and then the virtual wheel isn't going to match.

Or am I misunderstanding your question?

(I've never understood the use of the virtual wheel. You have a real wheel in your hands, why do you want to see that silly virtual wheel in the first place?)
Quote from Hallen :What part of the above does not compute?

None of the cars will ever match your 900° because none of the cars use 900°. If you want the silly graphical wheel to match your real, physical wheel, use the settings that Tristan posted above.

If you want to use the full 900° of your wheel, you are going to have to set your wheel turn compensation to something other than 1 and then the virtual wheel isn't going to match.

Or am I misunderstanding your question?

(I've never understood the use of the virtual wheel. You have a real wheel in your hands, why do you want to see that silly virtual wheel in the first place?)

i told you i was being a whiner, leaving out the point that i know i will not get completely what i want
-
(ussbeethoven) DELETED by ussbeethoven
I found some real life values while trying to convince my team mate that his 450 deg steering/25 deg wheel lock for the FZR set up is a bit too sensitive!! (9:1)

Impreza sti - 15:1
Impreza Type RA - 13:1
Impreza Spec C - 13:1
Ford GT - 17.1
BWM Z4 M
Coupé - 12.8:1 (2.8 turns)
BMW Z4 M Roadster - 13.7:1(3 turns)
Ferrari 550 - 13.8:1 (2.1 turns)
Porsche 911 GT3 - 14.9:1 (2.7 turns)
Jaguar XKR - 17.1:1 (2.8 turns)
Caterham Superlight -? (1.93 turns )

Hey, ive been out of LFS for almost a year now and now am planning on getting back into it on monday. I just got the DFGT wheel. I've never made set ups, and never noticed steering angles or locks, nor do I know much about it in real life either, yet using other peoples setups, I get around pretty quick.

Anyways, i used to use the R440 saitek wheel for the last 4 years of my sim racing. I don't even remember how much steering it had on it, maybe 270?

My question is, what are the best settings to use for me if I don't want to fiddle around with settings every time i switch cars or setups yet keeping it somewhat realistic in terms of steering? Should i use 720 on all but open wheelers and use a different settings for them? If someone can just spell it out for me in 'simple' terms, id appreciate it. This goes for both ingame and profiler settings. Again i'll settle for less realstic settings if it means i dont have to fiddle too much
Just set it to 720 degrees in Profiler and in LFS. Then LFS will automatically give you the correct number of degrees of each car. The road cars will use all 720 degrees, while it scales down automatically for open wheelers, for instance.
So what's the disadvantage to doing this? Should I set my turn compensation to 0 or 1?
AFAIK it doesn't matter if it's 0 or 1. The wheel turn compensation only comes into play if there's a mismatch between your wheel's turning capability (that is, the setting in Profiler) and the setting in LFS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

EDIT: I was wrong. See below.
if you set the compensation to 0 there will be 720 lock in all the cars, but if you set it to 1 it will COMPENSATE to be the correct amount of lock for all the cars
Ah! Thanks for clearing that up.
I'm at a loss for words. That is the first post I've seen of logitekg25 that is actually useful and contributes to a thread. I don't know what to say.

Also, I'm surprised you didn't know that, Gnomie!
they are around

you just gotta look :hide:
:lol: I just left it at 1 and never thought twice about it! Besides, I only ever drive the streetcars in LFS these days, so I probably wouldn't notice if it were set to 0 anwyay.
Quote from Michael Denham :I wish it were as simple as using the 'correct' amount of lock. With my DFP, the force feedback is just too slow when you're trying to correct oversteer in an LX6 with full steering lock. I think the G25 is fast enough, but with the DFP when you're trying to force the wheel faster than the FF motors want to go, it's not a lot of fun.

So very true... I now look at the motors in DFP as a case of "If it breaks, it's time to upgrade" to a G27 if I can afford it... hehe.

The motor squeal as I throw the wheel back round to counter a skid is nevertheless unnerving... but it hasn't snapped yet...
Wheel over sensitive
Ok is it just me??
I have 3 other racing sims, and my wheel is SPOT on perfect
when it comes to control. I could thread a needle in Nascar 2003, Rfactor,
Race On. I get in LFS and the car weaves all over an spins out!
I have spent 2 weeks working on this! No it's not my wheel, remember
its spot on perfect in other sims! And why does the wheel in the car rotate
around in circles when im making a slight turn!?? verrrry odd physics!

None of my other racing sims have the steering wheel spinning around wildly!
I love to look of LFS, I just wish I could get the car to drive like im in Rfactor or Nascar! Is it just because LFS is still work in progress??

No I dont have a Logitech wheel!
Yes it has 270 degrees of rotation!

A verrrry confused,

MadDogRhody
Have you set 720° also in Options > controls?
A) wheel not calibrated properly in LFS?
B) FF too high?
C) Both?

Post a replay and screenshot of your control settings.
The LFS cars use a set degree of rotation for the steering wheel, like a real car would - not like the stupid way Rfactor does it where 90 degrees on the wheel in the cockpit would be full lock.

Set your steering wheel to 720 degrees in the Logitech Profiler, then in game set your Rotation to 720 and the Steering Compensation to 1.0, then your set to go.
Quote from rhodyracing :Ok is it just me??
I have 3 other racing sims, and my wheel is SPOT on perfect
when it comes to control. I could thread a needle in Nascar 2003, Rfactor,
Race On. I get in LFS and the car weaves all over an spins out!
I have spent 2 weeks working on this! No it's not my wheel, remember
its spot on perfect in other sims! And why does the wheel in the car rotate
around in circles when im making a slight turn!?? verrrry odd physics!

None of my other racing sims have the steering wheel spinning around wildly!
I love to look of LFS, I just wish I could get the car to drive like im in Rfactor or Nascar! Is it just because LFS is still work in progress??

No I dont have a Logitech wheel!

A verrrry confused,

MadDogRhody

Yes it does that. I used a 270 deg wheel for a while. I just turned the steering wheel off. Felt exactly like every other game. The wheel spinning around wildly just illustrates the natural sensitivity of a 270 deg wheel, and why real cars don't have them!

Would be nice if there was a "max virtual steering lock" feature where the in-game wheel was limited in rotation. Would be nice for those guys that have less than 720 deg wheels and want the in-game wheel to match the real one.
Quote from rhodyracing :.......No I dont have a Logitech wheel!
MadDogRhody

Quote from Flame CZE :Have you set 720° also in Options > controls?

Quote from mcintyrej :..Set your steering wheel to 720 degrees in the Logitech Profiler, then in game set your Rotation to 720 and the Steering Compensation to 1.0, then your set to go.

Guys, he said he has 270 deg and he does not have a Logitech wheel

MadDog, set your wheel rotation in your wheels software control panel to 270 ( or Start \Control Panel \ game controllers)
Also set LFS Options \ Controls \ Wheel Turn to 270 deg.

As Forbin says, check calibration and force feedback.

As per OP ,go to your car setup and change the steering maximum lock degrees to 9 or 10, to give a realistic steering ratio
Quote from Turbo Dad :As per OP ,go to your car setup and change the steering maximum lock degrees to 9 or 10, to give a realistic steering ratio

And how would you handle hairpins like that? That's clearly no solution, I think Niels only included it to show the absurdity of a 270° wheel...

@rhodyracing: First, make sure Wheel Turn in your options is set to 270°... Then, play around with Wheel turn compensation - it slows the input down around the center, it will increase rapidely around the extremes though, so careful with sharp corners!
Resolved!!!
OK here is the Scoop...
First I want to remind you that ALL my other racing sims, my wheel
works spot on flawless! BTW My wheel is: Thrustmaster (New version)Rally GT Force Feedback Pro Clutch Edition.

So my issue in LFS with the oversteer and wander has be resolved.
For you guys with this wheel, goto your Thrustmaster control panel.
Befor you do anything, Turn on Auto Center. (Set to By the wheel) not by
the Game recommended. Depending on your feel set your auto centering force accordingly, start low work up by 10's
I started at 50% and moved up by 10. Im at 100 now but thats whats good for me. Your feel will vary. My Thrustmaster control panel settings are as follows.

Master:60%
Static:100%
Dynamic:100%
Aggressivity:100%
----------------------
Auto Center: By the Wheel: 100%
By the Game Recommended: Disabled

Note* Don't let folks tell you a 270 degree wheel is no good, its simply not true!
There are other great products out there besides the over priced
under quality Logitech! The pedals on this TM makes the Logitech
pedals feel like a Fisher-Price toy!
T Master makes a great product, at a sensible affordable price!!!!

Thanks to J.Smith & Body Count for the testing and trials!

MadDogRhody
Team Rhody Racing USA (LFS)
Nascar 2003/2007
Rfactor
rhodyracing.webhop.org
Quote from bbman :And how would you handle hairpins like that? That's clearly no solution, I think Niels only included it to show the absurdity of a 270° wheel...

Try it no problem
But I did say try it for a realistic feel, since he felt it was to sensitive

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG