The online racing simulator
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
(25 posts, started )
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

hi guys i just ordered one of these yesterday and i would like to ask if someone ownes one too and maybe can tell me some good stuff about it

wasn´t really pleased with my k850i the last days so i decided to buy some new phone. clear was that i want some touchscreen phone because my old one had something similar, too and it was AMAZING to work with.

normally im not a really big nokia fan, because the quality of the last actuall nokia phones really sucked (for expample the N95 ).

so i looked for the new samsung s8300 ultra touch (too expensive for me)
and the new LG Arena (wasn´t really good to handle imo).

so the only option i could pay was the nokia 5800
i tried it in some electronic shop and i have to say it was surprisingly easy to use! Sure it doesn´t have the same special effects and smooth movements as the iphone and the 3.2 megapixels cam really is for the arse..
But the good sites are the extreme longliving battery and it comes with w-lan. Also the design isn´t really that bad too.

so if someone ownes this phone to, please tell me what you like and dislike so i know what i have to watch out for

(cool would if someone could post a pic you made with the phone so i can see what the picture quality is )

Basti
Quote from BastianB :

hi guys i just ordered one of these yesterday and i would like to ask if someone ownes one too and maybe can tell me some good stuff about it

wasn´t really pleased with my k850i the last days so i decided to buy some new phone. clear was that i want some touchscreen phone because my old one had something similar, too and it was AMAZING to work with.

normally im not a really big nokia fan, because the quality of the last actuall nokia phones really sucked (for expample the N95 ).

so i looked for the new samsung s8300 ultra touch (too expensive for me)
and the new LG Arena (wasn´t really good to handle imo).

so the only option i could pay was the nokia 5800
i tried it in some electronic shop and i have to say it was surprisingly easy to use! Sure it doesn´t have the same special effects and smooth movements as the iphone and the 3.2 megapixels cam really is for the arse..
But the good sites are the extreme longliving battery and it comes with w-lan. Also the design isn´t really that bad too.

so if someone ownes this phone to, please tell me what you like and dislike so i know what i have to watch out for

(cool would if someone could post a pic you made with the phone so i can see what the picture quality is )

Basti

SpikeyMarcoD of RSR has one.... He loves it!
In my opinion you don't need anything more than a Motorola L7. I have the L6 .
but it don´t has a touchscreen and this was the fact i mainly was looking for

the cool thing with the nokia is, that you can install so much stuff on it, like "fring" for example.
Get a DS, mobile WiFi, a R4 card, a MicroSD card, DSPhone, and a SIP provider .
I tried one in the local phone shop when I was looking for a new phone, and hated it, much prefered the LG one, which I brought and am very happy with.
Quote from danowat :I tried one in the local phone shop when I was looking for a new phone, and hated it, much prefered the LG one, which I brought and am very happy with.

i tried the LG, too but it was ...i dont know it was just to much stuff for me

i was pretty happy with the nokia because it was much easier to controll and work with. sure it doesn´t have this uber special effects and stuff, but seruisly, i dont need that

the only better thing IMO is the 5 MP cam in the LG and the 8 MP (!) cam in the samsung ultra touch.

i wish i could try the samsung but my experience tells me that the samsung touch phones are not very comfortable to use because you have to press the screen pretty hard that it works. The nokia was just the easiest to use imo.

one problem may be that the 5800 is the first touch phone from nokia and im scared there are too much bugs in the system.
but on the other hand, i nearly just heard good replys in other forums and from some test magazines.
I have a couple of friends that have it. both are really pleased with it and the ease of use!
My nan just got a Nokia 3110 Classic and loves it! I have the 2 strongest phone ever built - a Nokia 3310 and a Nokia 3510i. The 3510i is broken
-
(Jakg) DELETED by Jakg
I bought one not long ago, around 2 weeks maybe. I had an ETEN X500 before, thats a PPC phone. The 5800 is a dream come true after windows mobile. It's fast, looks good, has GPS, wifi, and dedicated audio chip. The only downside is the cheapish plastic body. It won't be raspy, since the build is quite strong, but the plastic used as the body is low quality. I spent 2 days to make it work on Vista64, windows couldn't recognize it, tried tons of drivers and softwares and finally made it work. There was no problem on win7 and vista32 tho.
The camera is ok, if you use it in daylight, but totally useless when it gets a bit darker.
GPS is damn fast, gets the signal in few seconds, and never loses it. I use the Garmin Mobile XT. Not bad, but the IGO for symbian will be better.

By now there are many themes and apps modded for S60v5, so it won't be a problem. I don't know if you know how to sign unsigned apps, you will need it I think, cause many apps are unsigned, and need to be signed in order to install them on the phone. there are many tutorials on the web about it.

Touchscreen is working very well, even when you are browsing, it's really accurate. It supports muli touch, there are some games that use multi touch, but symbian doesn't use it, afaik because of the licensing issues. But there is no need for it.

About battery life. First 2 days it only lasted a day or so, but now I get 3-4-5 days out of it. I use GPS around half an hour a day, then MP3s and some sudoku, so the battery life is ok.

In overall it's quite a good phone. Good sound quality ( i find it a bit quiet with the factory headset tho ), the 3,2'' 640*360 screen looks awesome, but it's a bit hard to read in sunlight. Never had Nokia before, but I didn't regret it. It's not as exclusive as an iphone (which I personally don't like) but does everything what an iphone does.
It came with an 8GB microsd, a rubber case, spare stylus (which you will never use), headset, usd cable, a pick (you can use it instead of the stylus) and a funny looking holder if you want to put it on a table. Took me 5 days to figure it out what it is good for
Quote from RevengeR :I bought one not long ago, around 2 weeks maybe. I had an ETEN X500 before, thats a PPC phone. The 5800 is a dream come true after windows mobile. It's fast, looks good, has GPS, wifi, and dedicated audio chip. The only downside is the cheapish plastic body. It won't be raspy, since the build is quite strong, but the plastic used as the body is low quality. I spent 2 days to make it work on Vista64, windows couldn't recognize it, tried tons of drivers and softwares and finally made it work. There was no problem on win7 and vista32 tho.
The camera is ok, if you use it in daylight, but totally useless when it gets a bit darker.
GPS is damn fast, gets the signal in few seconds, and never loses it. I use the Garmin Mobile XT. Not bad, but the IGO for symbian will be better.

By now there are many themes and apps modded for S60v5, so it won't be a problem. I don't know if you know how to sign unsigned apps, you will need it I think, cause many apps are unsigned, and need to be signed in order to install them on the phone. there are many tutorials on the web about it.

Touchscreen is working very well, even when you are browsing, it's really accurate. It supports muli touch, there are some games that use multi touch, but symbian doesn't use it, afaik because of the licensing issues. But there is no need for it.

About battery life. First 2 days it only lasted a day or so, but now I get 3-4-5 days out of it. I use GPS around half an hour a day, then MP3s and some sudoku, so the battery life is ok.

In overall it's quite a good phone. Good sound quality ( i find it a bit quiet with the factory headset tho ), the 3,2'' 640*360 screen looks awesome, but it's a bit hard to read in sunlight. Never had Nokia before, but I didn't regret it. It's not as exclusive as an iphone (which I personally don't like) but does everything what an iphone does.
It came with an 8GB microsd, a rubber case, spare stylus (which you will never use), headset, usd cable, a pick (you can use it instead of the stylus) and a funny looking holder if you want to put it on a table. Took me 5 days to figure it out what it is good for

exactly what i wanted to hear
thanks mate, now i can´t wait to try it my selfe
hope it comes till thursday.
Wanted to upload some pics and a video, but the forum said a tokan was missing, so I couldn't upload them.
My cousin owns that phone and I have to say. It's a super phone. The sound quality is so ****ing hawt. However, I own a k850i and kinda fed with it too. (its very slow).

Btw, the camera aint that nice of the 5800 compared to the k850i.
Quote from Takumi_lfs :My cousin owns that phone and I have to say. It's a super phone. The sound quality is so ****ing hawt. However, I own a k850i and kinda fed with it too. (its very slow).

Btw, the camera aint that nice of the 5800 compared to the k850i.

Mine keeps shutting it down by itselfe and is not able to turn on again for something about 5 - 10 min. (this happens once, maybe twice a month but it sucks)

hm..might be but imo the camera of the k850i is really bad for having 5 MP.
My gf owns a N95 and the pics are way better then mine.
Quote from BastianB :Mine keeps shutting it down by itselfe and is not able to turn on again for something about 5 - 10 min. (this happens once, maybe twice a month but it sucks)

hm..might be but imo the camera of the k850i is really bad for having 5 MP.
My gf owns a N95 and the pics are way better then mine.

huh, My friend owns a N95 and his sux compared to mine
Few pics in daylight
Attached images
20090410123.jpg
20090404014.jpg
20090404015.jpg
20090409065.jpg
And some with little bit less light.
Attached images
20090403001.jpg
20090403002.jpg
20090406026.jpg
20090410090.jpg
Quote from Takumi_lfs :huh, My friend owns a N95 and his sux compared to mine

i dont know, my pics are always shit.. you really need perfect light to get good pics.

the pics of my k850i have much less colors as the one of my gf´s N95.

btw RevengeR thanks for the pics
the one with light dont look thaaaaaaaaaaat bad :P
but the other ones really suck

but its ok i dont take that much photos with my mobilephones
3.2 megapixel certainly beats my humble VGA camera! The L6 is still pretty cool for a 10 year old kid to use!
Still waiting for the Sony ericsson Idou though, 12megapixels
bamp!

its there now and im really glad so far!
the touchscreen took a bit time to use it the right way (hadn´t souch a mobilephone bevore) but now it all works perfect

really great phone with good w-lan! i just can say, if you dont want a phone with a good cam but good to work with buy the 5800!

greetz
basti
#22 - Jakg
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Still waiting for the Sony ericsson Idou though, 12megapixels

Why? No matter how man megapixel a phone has - the shitty lenses will still let it down.
Yep yep, my brother also has one, he loves it, and I prefer it over my g900i. Great and well-thought interface and whole package, really. Great choice
Quote from Jakg :Why? No matter how man megapixel a phone has - the shitty lenses will still let it down.

Sony has made good lences so far. And ofcourse its not only because its camera.
writing this with ma phone, great to surf with

Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG