The online racing simulator
PC First Person Shooter Nightmares!
(43 posts, started )
Hi there,

I've recently upgraded my PC to a triple screen setup for my racing sims and music stuff, and as a result have bought a more powerful GPU (GTX 285) . As a result of this I decided to give a few online FPS's a spin, as I want to get the most out of my new purchase....

BIG MISTAKE!

A keyboard and mouse is by no means alien to me, I never considered myself that bad at PC games before, and can hold my own (ish.. ) on xbox live, but this was mental. Before I could even draw a bead on an enemy I'd already been killed. Often I would only have spawned for a few seconds before being shot. The game didn't seem to matter, COD4, UT3, TF2, you name it, I was useless. Asking for advice on how to play better just lead to replies of 'stfu noob!' or equivalent.

Trust me, if you want to get so frustrated you could bite a chunk from your desk, try joining an instgib server in UT2004!

Are PC FPS's the sole preserve of those who practice 5 hrs a day and have no life? Is it possible to play any PC game online casually without getting destroyed? I don't want to win every game, just feel like I have at least a minute CHANCE!

Or should I just stick to my racing sims and leave it at that....?
I'm playing 007: Nightfire. It's 7 years old but some people still play it online. It's easy to be good at it out of 5 players lol. ;d
That's why I tend to avoid online FPS games. And also why I like online racing because as if you're not brilliant (like me), you can still have a good race with people further down the field and only ever be bothered by the aliens if they lap you. You're not getting over taken by the same guy again and again and again every 30 seconds.
Quote from Origamiboy :Are PC FPS's the sole preserve of those who practice 5 hrs a day and have no life? Is it possible to play any PC game online casually without getting destroyed? I don't want to win every game, just feel like I have at least a minute CHANCE!

Well, you don't necessarily have to practise hours a day, but like almost any other game it does take practise to become good at it. And yes, it is very very frustrating when you're on a server with people who are in a completely different league than you are, and you don't have even have the smallest chance of competing. Try joining other servers. Some games have special "newbie" servers, those are often a good place to hone your skills a bit before proceeding to more advanced servers.

That being said, the only online FPS game I ever really bothered with was Counter Strike back in the day. Eventually I became so frustrated and annoyed with it that I deleted it and I haven't really touched another online shooter since.
This is why my online FPSing is limited to my PS3. It's more for people that have a life, rather than PC nerds
I used to suck big time at FPS's then I stopped going to Free for all servers.

If you are still bad on a team server then you should just play the game and not worry about getting killed to much you get better with time.
I used to be a very good CSS player.. I'd play every day for about 4 or 5 hours.

I stopped playing for about a year and now I've kinda gone back to it, and I suck.. so yeah to be good you need lots of time and practise.
Ah, good. At least I'm not on my own then! Looks like I'll be sticking to online racing from now on. As has been mentioned earlier in the thread, at least you can still enjoy yourself racing, even if you aren't particularly fast..

Now, where can I get hold of a set of CST pedals here in the UK?
FPS games online are definately about practice to get decent. Getting your mouse and keyboard setup with the right parameters is ratgher like setting up your wheel for sim racing. It can take a while to get it right. Once that's right, you then nered to get your aim sorted and that, game depending, changes with the recoil of each weapon and the nuances of the game......

In answer, like any game, you have to prac to be decent!!!!

As a game, get HL2 and EP 1 and 2... excellent single player action
This is exactly why I still play CS:S on a proper server (random teams, AWP and autosnipers bant, cursing allowed, vocal and elite players).

Humiliation grows personality, methinks.
Quote from StableX :FPS games online are definately about practice to get decent. Getting your mouse and keyboard setup with the right parameters is ratgher like setting up your wheel for sim racing. It can take a while to get it right. Once that's right, you then nered to get your aim sorted and that, game depending, changes with the recoil of each weapon and the nuances of the game......

In answer, like any game, you have to prac to be decent!!!!

As a game, get HL2 and EP 1 and 2... excellent single player action

Got them mate, and they support triplescreen natively as well, which is fantastic.

Problem is, my gaming time is a lot more limited than it used to be, and therefore I want to spend it actually enjoying myself. Putting in hours of practice just to survive an extra few seconds between spawns just doesn't seem worth it. I'd rather spend time learning a new track/combo in LFS/iracing for example.

I dunno, simracing to me is satisfying whether I finish first or dead last. As long as I have another car to battle with I'm happy
I finished HL2 recently and wondered what all the fuss was about, frankly.

I'll stick at CSS till I'm back to being E1337 AWP SNIPER FAG pro.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :This is why my online FPSing is limited to my PS3. It's more for people that have a life, rather than PC nerds

Yes very good point actually, maybe i am gonna use my PS3 more now.
Quote from spankmeyer :This is exactly why I still play CS:S on a proper server (random teams, AWP and autosnipers bant, cursing allowed, vocal and elite players).

Humiliation grows personality, methinks.

I resent that comment as a proper server and a bad comment

Dont get me started on people who comment on awp'ers like that
@OP: If you like the Multiplayer aspect of CoD4 but cant stand the l337 kiddies fragging you as soon as you connect...(Happens to me ALL the time :/)...grab hold of PezBOT 007p (google it )...easy to set up, and gives you some pretty good bots to fight against..they are good, but not THAT good!
Quote from S14 DRIFT :

I'll stick at CSS till I'm back to being E1337 AWP SNIPER FAG pro.

CSS is SOOOO gay and SOOOO lame!
Tried css?
Isnt that hard to learn, even I manage to get some kills once in a while....gungame is awesome. (For a short fun try deathrun .P)
@Tim: Just shut up.
CSS is by no means the best first person shooter around but if you can find a server that isnt full of cheating faggots or bots then you will have some fun on it. I found COD4 pretty good online for pc. Also Battlefield 2142 is quite good.
COD4 is ok but sometimes I'd rather just have a more pick-up and play orientated non ranked game.. I know COD4 has a bomb mode similar to the de_ maps on CSS, however I'd rather not overheat my PC in the process.
Quote from trebor901 :CSS is by no means the best first person shooter around but if you can find a server that isnt full of cheating faggots or bots then you will have some fun on it. I found COD4 pretty good online for pc. Also Battlefield 2142 is quite good.

Because css is obviously about playing pub servers constantly
Quote from jimaxx :Because css is obviously about playing pub servers constantly

No but if you dont want to go through the hassle of joining a clan then it pretty much is.
Quote from Origamiboy :Hi there,

I've recently upgraded my PC to a triple screen setup for my racing sims and music stuff, and as a result have bought a more powerful GPU (GTX 285) . As a result of this I decided to give a few online FPS's a spin, as I want to get the most out of my new purchase....

BIG MISTAKE!

A keyboard and mouse is by no means alien to me, I never considered myself that bad at PC games before, and can hold my own (ish.. ) on xbox live, but this was mental. Before I could even draw a bead on an enemy I'd already been killed. Often I would only have spawned for a few seconds before being shot. The game didn't seem to matter, COD4, UT3, TF2, you name it, I was useless. Asking for advice on how to play better just lead to replies of 'stfu noob!' or equivalent.

Trust me, if you want to get so frustrated you could bite a chunk from your desk, try joining an instgib server in UT2004!

Are PC FPS's the sole preserve of those who practice 5 hrs a day and have no life? Is it possible to play any PC game online casually without getting destroyed? I don't want to win every game, just feel like I have at least a minute CHANCE!

Or should I just stick to my racing sims and leave it at that....?

Instagib on UT isn't frustrating, maybe that's because I'm actually good at it though.
#23 - senn
plsy some L4d, good way to get some practice in. unless you practice heaps you'll never be as good as the uber nerds, but play with people who are at about your level, makes it more fun
you hit slumps from time to time, some days your on the top of your game , some days your not...

then some days you just kick the life out of your pc....
Quote from Origamiboy :Trust me, if you want to get so frustrated you could bite a chunk from your desk, try joining an instgib server in UT2004!

Instantgib is not a good starter in any fp shooter. I play OpenArena that also has such instantgib hosts, where everyone has very powerful railguns, and nothing else is available. Not recommended unless you are good at railing.

(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG