The online racing simulator
Woot! Kahne FTW!

I also expected Stewart and Ambrose to be up there, good job to those two.

And WTF is Johnson's problem?
That was an absolutely wonderful finish for Max Papis with a 12.

Wonderful job mad max

Wonderful finish for allmendinger and Carpentier and decent finish for Andretti

All of my fav drivers did well this race and LOL @ Scott Speed not qualifying for this race as well as doing poorly in joe's #87
Quote from lizardfolk :That was an absolutely wonderful finish for Max Papis with a 12.

Wonderful job mad max

Wonderful finish for allmendinger and Carpentier and decent finish for Andretti

All of my fav drivers did well this race and LOL @ Scott Speed not qualifying for this race as well as doing poorly in joe's #87

lol Speed is a failure, a driver with F1 experince Should be not only qualifed but right up the front on a track like this.
Quote from Mustafur :lol Speed is a failure, a driver with F1 experince Should be not only qualifed but right up the front on a track like this.

F1 experience doesn't mean F1 standards.

I will say though, Allmendinger had a pretty surprising comeback after being a lap down.
Can't believe Kahne ended up holding off Stewart and Ambrose but he did have a really strong car.

I'm pulling for Montoya to make the chase. Seems like a lot of people don't like him, but when he first came over to Nascar I really got the sense that he wasn't just doing it for money, but he really wants to win a championship some day and I like seeing how his team is improving as time goes on. He's been putting up a lot of solid finishes lately, good to see.
wow the finish in the Coke Zero 400 was awesome! i had an adrenalin rush!
As much as I hate Tony Steward, that was Busch's fault. 100%, he blocked him once, that was fair, if you come back in front of him you can't expect the other guy to just brake and ruin his race.
...I was there and felt the sparks fly and hit me as kyle hit the wall, OMG was it a great race, although you cant forget the grand-am race that was exciting too. Ill post some pics soon. But damn it was hott. I am lobster red!
yep fantastic finish to a good race
Makes me wonder if they're going to make some changes to the rules to prevent something like that. Think, this is the second time almost the exact same thing has happened.

Now I understand why sim series' have rules against blocking twice in the same straight/turn...
Quote from rsnake53 :Makes me wonder if they're going to make some changes to the rules to prevent something like that. Think, this is the second time almost the exact same thing has happened.

Now I understand why sim series' have rules against blocking twice in the same straight/turn...

if they made the rules any deferent then wrecks wouldn't be allowed.
IMHO, the most they should do is assign a warning for aggressive blocking (and I dont even think they should do that). if you come down on someone a wreck is bound to happen...and it's just racing. You can also see who has better judgment or is willing to play fair in tight situations like this as well. Drivers like Jeff Burton, Mark Martin, etc will not so something like that. But if you have over aggressive drivers in that situation things like that will happen. But it's not really something we can regulate or restrict.

After all Schumacher "blocked" right into Villeneuve and Hill in F1 as well. Granted it didn't cause a massive wreck like it does in oval races but this is just the nature of oval racing

If they add rules against blocking on the last lap it will like completely neutering someone
Drivers are starting to realize how safe the cars are, so they will continue to make crazy moves like the one on Saturday night until someone gets hurt or NASCAR does something about it.
PMD: That's a scary thought, but I see your point. Well said.

It really is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

There are only so many ways to affect the racing at these tracks.
-Horsepower (restrictor plate, carb, camshaft, etc) They all do the same thing, limit the air flow into the cylinders.
-Aero (spoiler, roof blades, gurney flap) This slows them down, but punches a large hole in the air which makes pack racing even worse. Counterppoint: They tried a big blade across the roof several years ago. The result? The race went caution free.
-Rules governing blocking. No thanks. The drivers do a good job of policing themselves up until the last lap. I would rather not have a race determined by a stupid rule (i.e. the yellow line rule. It should be null and void after the last turn on the last lap.)

My fantasy solution. Let Goodyear bring a tire 1" wider with a wheel to match. Bring an ultra low downforce wing for the trunk lid (possibly without the airfoil profile?). Ditch the restrictor plate (or make the holes larger). That should let the cars run fast enough that the cars will race like they do at other tracks. They'll get spread out. Yes, they will draft, but more like they did back in the day. I wonder if the roof flaps are as large as possible? It's a tough thing to get right. We want good racing, but also safe. It's almost such that the tracks might be too fast for a safe race that is also entertaining for the fans. I think this was the issue for CART at Michigan, right?

Just food for thought: How much of this do you guys think is a product of two hard-nosed drivers (Tony and Kyle) going for the win? Though, last time it was (Carl and Brad)
Quote from PAracer :PMD: That's a scary thought, but I see your point. Well said.

It really is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

There are only so many ways to affect the racing at these tracks.
-Horsepower (restrictor plate, carb, camshaft, etc) They all do the same thing, limit the air flow into the cylinders.
-Aero (spoiler, roof blades, gurney flap) This slows them down, but punches a large hole in the air which makes pack racing even worse. Counterppoint: They tried a big blade across the roof several years ago. The result? The race went caution free.
-Rules governing blocking. No thanks. The drivers do a good job of policing themselves up until the last lap. I would rather not have a race determined by a stupid rule (i.e. the yellow line rule. It should be null and void after the last turn on the last lap.)

My fantasy solution. Let Goodyear bring a tire 1" wider with a wheel to match. Bring an ultra low downforce wing for the trunk lid (possibly without the airfoil profile?). Ditch the restrictor plate (or make the holes larger). That should let the cars run fast enough that the cars will race like they do at other tracks. They'll get spread out. Yes, they will draft, but more like they did back in the day. I wonder if the roof flaps are as large as possible? It's a tough thing to get right. We want good racing, but also safe. It's almost such that the tracks might be too fast for a safe race that is also entertaining for the fans. I think this was the issue for CART at Michigan, right?

Just food for thought: How much of this do you guys think is a product of two hard-nosed drivers (Tony and Kyle) going for the win? Though, last time it was (Carl and Brad)

Field spread FTL.

That was just a Stupid move by Busch.
Quote from mutt107 :if they made the rules any deferent then wrecks wouldn't be allowed.

Are you saying wrecking is allowed now?
Quote from Mustafur :It pretty much is.

I dont know...I say oval calls for a different situation...I mean I seen Indy wrecks similar to that as well.

But what is both IRL and NASCAR (or any other oval organization) to do about this...I say let just let it go. If a driver does that kind of blocking it's the driver who moves down's fault.

As Petty said, "block me once that's fair, block me twice you're going into the wall."
Quote from zeugnimod :Then I'm glad I don't watch this "racing" series.

Don't be such a snob there much more controversial "accidents" in btcc (LOL plato) than Nascar.

And what about Schumacher's "blocks"? Overly aggressive drivers will exist everywhere. It's just more magnified on oval racing cause of the compact nature of it. One tiny spin will likely result in a 10 car pile up.
Quote from lizardfolk :Don't be such a snob there much more controversial "accidents" in btcc (LOL plato) than Nascar.

I don't watch BTCC, either.

Quote from lizardfolk :And what about Schumacher's "blocks"?

Schumacher was an arrogant and unfair ****, you will certainly never see me defend him anywhere.

And most of his blocks were punished accordingly. The point was that Mustafur said that "wrecking is allowed" in Nascar which is ridiculous if true and the reason why I said that I am glad that I don't watch it.
Ok then I took ur comment out of context and I apologize.

I don't speak for him but I believe that mustafur was using hyperbole. Nascar is quite strict on contact (they issue warnings for bump drafting wtf...) but a lot of people are unhappy that nascar doesn't do anything about the last minute blocks/wrecks.

In all honestly, there isn't much you can do and it all comes down to individual drivers. Kyle Busch is the kind to go big or go home. And you can't punish people for just having that kind of personality.

But if you regulate it to death (which strangely is what a lot of people seem to want). Then you'll loose that wild characteristic that oval racing is known for.

I say leave it, if you want to pull a schumacher block, then you face the consequences (which Busch did). I personally don't understand the controversy, if stewart got taken out instead of busch then that would warrant the controversy but he didn't...
Well crashes make a race enjoyable to watch.
Quote from G!NhO :Well crashes make a race enjoyable to watch.

Speak for yourself I was pissed off when I heard that Andretti was involved in the mess that wasn't his doing

NASCAR 2009 Season-Talk Chat
(467 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG