The online racing simulator
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :is kb better than wheel for this game?

Well, I liked it alot more, since my does not FFB work, and I got a deadzone (can't be bothered to try other settings). But I hear from friends that its gamepad>keyboard>wheel

It comes down to your own taste ofcourse.
i gotta go buy it now,i wanna cruise around
oh my lord what a shit game. button lag is like 1second and ** driveability.. ... fuuuuu
Quote from DieKolkrabe :QFT

I can spend hours driving about or messing with stickers

That's all the game should be about imo. Having fun with the other aspects. It's not all about super realistic physics.

Do not get me wrong, I am fully aware this game has issues and I am under no illusion that it is perfect, but I think it is a very big improvement over TDU1, and I will never stop playing it, especially when the issues get patched (Which Atari are fixing and are talking to players to find the specific issues. Check the Forums.).
They've had fairly reasonable amount of time to fix those issues during their beta period. Why they left to fix them post release is unknown. But im guessing it has something to do with deadline. If steering get's fixed - best game of the year. Else - quickly forgotten pile of s***t.
Control is definitely best with a gamepad, I'm using a PS2 controller and it works nicely. There's a good pad config on the TDU forums. The physics aren't deep but they can be more subtle than it first seems once you get a feel for them. Feels better driving with the bumper cam as well.

Its not perfect but its a very impressive game IMO. Over 1,800 miles of road and plenty to do. The driving model in the 1st one was better in most ways, but its not bad, and the offroad's fun.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :
It's the same things with the Physics. I had a play with the settings, and after I done that, I found them much better. I can drift (And yes, they are hard to catch, but it is possible.), I can light up the rear tyres of my Mustang with ease and pour smoke everywhere. I get lift off oversteer in my Alfa Romeo Mito. My Lotus Espirit is twitchy as hell in corners, constantly transitioning between understeer and oversteer (All common characteristics of an old mid engine sports car, some would say?). Gravity is much better, as the cars are much less prone to launch into the air with the slightest of humps. These are all things that TDU1 did not have. Sure, the Physics are not the best, but what do you expect from a game that is made for people of all ages to play?

These all things were in TDU1 hardcore mode as well. Only there was actually some kind of a grip level what you could feel and the FFB told you when car started to slide. In TDU2 it is actually impossible to drive on the limit because there is no clear limit at all. I feel like drifting is pre-animated for all cars, not a result of physics calculation of any kind. If you launch your cars burning rubber all cars tend to always recreate the same pre-animated events determined for the current car. Only aspect what is better physics wise is that cars don't "float" anymore.

The annoying camera movement is what happens when you turn the wheel. Head automatically turns to the direction you are turning. Best would be a 100% locked camera. I also noticed that when speed increases the cars start to shake. This is very noticeable at bumper cam, but not in hood cam. When using hood cam the camera doesn't shake with the car, but you can see the bonnet of the car doing a little shaking.

-EDIT-

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Anyone doubting the sounds on this game should take a look at this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU9iq19UceQ

The actual samples of the engine aren't bad, but again this features the unrealistic and annoying gearbox sounds.

Oh also forgot to mention one more thing I noticed, when I got to drive the Lotus Esprit it also has wrong sounds. It has a 4-cylinder engine but the sounds are from a straight-6.
Quote from BigPeBe :The annoying camera movement is what happens when you turn the wheel. Head automatically turns to the direction you are turning. Best would be a 100% locked camera.

Really? Now I'm so jealous. Because of LFS having this feature, I'm ruined from the majority of racing games out there because most are a 100% locked camera. I'd love for the head to turn when turning on the XBox. Not sure if it does with a wheel, but it definitely doesn't with a controller.

Quote from Rtsbasic : Control is definitely best with a gamepad, I'm using a PS2 controller and it works nicely. There's a good pad config on the TDU forums.

Yeah, the XBox has absolutely 0 configuration for the controller unless you are using a wheel. I just want to be able to remap the shifting to the right stick up/down like the seq. shifter on my MOMO instead of buttons and change the bumper buttons to view left/right.
Quote from mrodgers :Really? Now I'm so jealous. Because of LFS having this feature, I'm ruined from the majority of racing games out there because most are a 100% locked camera. I'd love for the head to turn when turning on the XBox. Not sure if it does with a wheel, but it definitely doesn't with a controller.

Camera movement kills connection to the car. It feels like you are moving unattached from the car or something other weird. It just doesn't feel right and it makes it really hard to concentrate and know where the car is actually going.
Has anyone else noticed the Veyron is listed in the dealership as an inline-6 engine, not a W16?
lol that reminded me of the RUFs. When you open the data for them it says they have a flathead engine.
Quote from BigPeBe :Camera movement kills connection to the car. It feels like you are moving unattached from the car or something other weird. It just doesn't feel right and it makes it really hard to concentrate and know where the car is actually going.

I just tried it using the controller and cockpit view before my 10 yr old kicked me off the XBox, LOL. Yeah, the look does move when you turn, but it is delayed and you don't move the controller stick enough to make it effective. I had to actually yank the car off the road around a turn to see the view looking towards the direction of the turn.

Love the feature in LFS using a wheel though. It is better when you are using a low FOV so the view is more like looking out the windshield rather than sitting in the back seat viewing nearly the entire interior.

Oh, another thing I don't like. Seems to me most of the roads on the interior of the island are dirt roads. Seems they went a bit too far with the "off-road" part. I don't want to drive a straight highway from place to place or around the long way around the perimeter if I'm going somewhere from one side to the other.
Is there anybody having screen flickering on PC version of this game? Happens to me in full screen and windowed mode and only on TDU2 - played GTA IV for a long time last night without a single flicker, so it's not my hardware.
Do you have v-sync enabled?
Yeah, I need it on otherwise my PSU squeals like crazy!
Quote from mr_x :Is there anybody having screen flickering on PC version of this game? Happens to me in full screen and windowed mode and only on TDU2 - played GTA IV for a long time last night without a single flicker, so it's not my hardware.

Yeah I get flickering, it doesn't really effect the game but it is annoying lol
Anyone found any good settings with the G25?
Some say its great (better than TDU1, or at least playable) and some say its completely shite...

Is this variation based on the platform you play? Or you've got to play around with a LOT of settings to make the best out of it?

Yes, we all have different takes on the game - but LFSF users opinions on this is simply too varied!
Quote from Silverracer :Yes, we all have different takes on the game - but LFSF users opinions on this is simply too varied!

This is why it is so hard to get a decent opinion. You have a collection of hardcore sim racers here giving opinion, then you go to the official forum and you have what seems to me to be a bunch of very young casual players.

Opinions on the TDU forum ranges from the license and racing is way to difficult to way to easy. I found nothing difficult. I use an XBox controller and the cars are like slot cars. I hear about how the back end breaks loose, yet can't see it myself using a controller.

I'm trying to look at the driving from a casual semi-sim wanting stance and I say driving the cars is like driving something from a 1995 car game.

I have Forza 2 and that is somewhat what I would expect from a driving/racing game today. It's not so difficult that you can use a game controller very easily, but it is still interesting enough. TDU2 is certainly nothing like what I expected. You accelerate full throttle until you reach a turn. At the point of turning, you hit the brakes and the car immediately slows almost to a stop. I don't know how people are having such a terrible time with it, the driving is so easy. I've seen complaints about how the throttle and braking with a wheel is like an on/off button, and I can't figure out why that is so difficult, because you really do not need to ease on throttle and brakes. In fact, the driving model is so easy, my 6 year old daughter can easily run through the licenses and the races.

If you don't know, you end up winning some really crappy cars and there is no way of selling these cars. I now know so I won't do those races unless I absolutely have to, but that is a problem. It seems that the only way to get rid of any cars is if you either don't have room or don't have enough money for the one you want, thus it asks you to "trade in" one that you have.

Thus far, it seems to be very little different than the original TDU aside from the driving physics to me. There was a lot of speculation about fuel usage and stuff, but I see no indication of that (I'm not online with it.)

I can't say anything about the graphics, I'm using a 27 inch tube television....

Don't get me wrong, it is fun, but it definitely isn't what I expected at all. A lot of hype and very little result. Pure arcade racer with 1995 technology.
I drove around Ibiza about 4 hours , that was awesome , just cruised I really like that game already
Someone already mentioned this but heres a screeny :P

Look familiar?

Attached images
Spa in TDU2.JPG
Quote from adamlfs :Someone already mentioned this but heres a screeny :P

Look familiar?

*image*

Yep
Also have "Melbourne" in the southwest and the "nurburgring" to the west, about halfway up the coast. There is also a racetrack on the east coast, just north of the bay with the yacht and "Mineral House" mansion. So that makes 5 tracks when you include the original Oahu track, but I think ther could easily be one or two more on the inside of the island.

Test Drive Unlimited 2
(984 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG