The online racing simulator
comparing drifting in various games
(27 posts, started )
LFS: by far the most realistic. can use better tracks and a drift mode though, which we may get eventually. A follow cam would also be pretty cool.

GT5HD: I played with a control pad, for a few minutes and physics seem okay. the drift mode is a lot less forgiving than TXRD2 where you just nudge a wall lightly and lose all your points, and can't get any back(it was frustrating in that game when you come up with a near perfect drift and barely touch a wall without realizing on the way out). it seems that they managed to get an actual feel of sliding, which wasn't something i thought was possible

Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2: The most fun. I would rate this slightly more challenging than LFS and a little bit of a better trainer. the reason being that the roads are so narrow and theres so much drastic elevation changes, weather effects, and theres an actual drift mode which is punishing. It really teaches you to alter you steering angle, braking point, entry speed, etc for different elevation changes. Not to mention the indepth tuning options tend to make it easy to see what little changes can do such as decreasing/increasing weight, power, traction, etc. does have limitations of being a ps2 game.
drifting at night on touge roads, stormy weathers is fun, while flicking headlights. or drifting in the snow with race tires averaging 40mph is actually surprisingly fun and challenging.
The main physics flaws seem to be that accell off oversteer seems a little easy to initiate(atleast how I tune my cars), but still pretty hard to control. and your cars can also go on 2 wheels if you set it up with too much body roll, but thats fun to watch. The bug of going back to 1st gear when theres no acceleration for awhile can also be odd.

D1GP: semi fun but theres no actual drift mode unless you go battle with a friend/cpu or play the career mode. not really deep career mode or physics and the commentators are annoying. could have been a lot better. some exclusive courses such as ebisu was cool but suzuka was missing.

Enthusia: not bad for a ps2 game but not as fun as TXRD2 or as deep in tuning, and doesn't have a drift mode. it also doesnt capture the feeling of unstable cars and braking needed a little work

GT4: calling itself as The real life simulator. not really realistic though especially if you try drifting.

Drift City: most unrealistic but still a lot of fun, and it even tells you it's not realistic.
what about gt5P?
Prologue is (imo) the same thing as GTHD but with more cars. And yes I got both.
LFS ftw!

Ive played certain games tho, and the physics are horrible, just horrible. Like, the newest NFS - god damn it. Just, for me - lfs is the only game where i can feel myself that im driving (also telling mom: "i cant come right now, im behind the wheel"
I can only agree about TXRD2. I was actually pleasantly surprised how good its physics are. Of course, not exactly on LFS or iRacing's level but for a PS2 game that doesn't even claim to be realistic they are really good.

If only we could get a hillclimb/touge road like Haruna or Nikko in LFS.... Fiat Abarth(stock, no aids) + Nikko= bliss.
Quote from chavm481 :what about gt5P?

main problem is that i dont own a ps3 and i havent tried it. also why i havent included things like GTR in the list since i've never tried it. someone else is welcomed to give their opinions

Quote from Thunderhead :I can only agree about TXRD2. I was actually pleasantly surprised how good its physics are. Of course, not exactly on LFS or iRacing's level but for a PS2 game that doesn't even claim to be realistic they are really good.

If only we could get a hillclimb/touge road like Haruna or Nikko in LFS.... Fiat Abarth(stock, no aids) + Nikko= bliss.

orido and taniguichi helped work on the physics in that game, and it seemed to help. kind of like how surprisingly good LFS physics are with a 3 man team and really limited budget. while games like GT series get their million dollar projects and still have problems with their physics.
#7 - senn
what about Race07/GTR evo?
#8 - Byku
Umm... they fail :razzsomebody after me will surely tell You why , couse it is a hot topic on this forum :razz.

Edit. After some degrees it is impossible to catch a slide... or sth like that :P.
Drifting is fun, and needed to be fast on both outrun and burnout series. It may not be the most realistic drifting, but it's sure some fun in there.
Quote from rotarydream :1 by far the most realistic.
2 can use better tracks
3 and a drift mode though, which we may get eventually.
4 A follow cam would also be pretty cool.

1 Yes.
2 Yes.
3 No, NEVER.
4 There already is...

how and why do you want a "drift mode" in a racing simulator, it doesnt need anymore "modes" because the only mode it needs is Simulation.
kiado racer 2 aka TYXRD2 is Very fun, if you set the cars up correctly you neevr hit a barrier so your worrys are gone.

if you dont you crash...

Simple no ?
Quote from LFSn00b :What about iRacing? You can drift that with correct setups and it is lovely to drift in iRacing.

True that.
Grid is a terrible game with cars steering from the center, but the driftingpart wasn't that bad.
Drifting in GRiD is really easy from what i've heard, but i havent tried it, and it's not a simulator.
Quote from rotarydream :Drifting in GRiD is really easy from what i've heard, but i havent tried it, and it's not a simulator.

if it was a simulartor you wouldn't be able to drift...

them guys make it lok so easy but its alot more to it then a bit of skill and a LSD. :rolleyes:
Quote from theirishnoob :if it was a simulartor you wouldn't be able to drift...

them guys make it lok so easy but its alot more to it then a bit of skill and a LSD. :rolleyes:

why's that? since you can drift in almost every sim with decent physics if you know how to
Quote from theirishnoob :if it was a simulartor you wouldn't be able to drift...

Real life is simulator? Yes. Can you drift in it? Yes.
real life is not a sim... lol. reset to room...
Quote from rotarydream :...drift mode

...drift mode...

...drift mode...

What the hell is that?

Points?

Like figure skating or gymnastics?

Do you have a random bs generator somewhere, or do you actually come up with those posts of yours? And yes, if it was a simulator, you won't be able to drift, meaning LFS is not a sim and LFS Drift community doesn't play LFS

Quote from Byku :Edit. After some degrees it is impossible to catch a slide... or sth like that :P.

Would you know anything about "how car behaves in a slide"? Doubt it, since if you did, you would know, there always is an angle of "no return" after which you can not catch a slide, and it exists in sims and in real life. Also, if you were to play GTR Evo, you'd know your statement is wrong

Quote from senn :what about Race07/GTR evo?

I found it dead easy on a Viper, stupid easy on a R8 (yeah, AWD), quite challenging on a gumpert, and pretty fun, but way too snappy on a caterham. The cars with slicks also slide quite a lot if you're heavy footed
All in all, it's a step up from GTR series and rFactor, and finally doesn't feel like rails

They make it a combination of steering and throttle control. Those ingredients are the same in real life, but they do probably make it a bit easier indeed (i think they auto correct a little)
#22 - Byku
Quote from squidhead :Would you know anything about "how car behaves in a slide"? Doubt it, since if you did, you would know, there always is an angle of "no return" after which you can not catch a slide, and it exists in sims and in real life. Also, if you were to play GTR Evo, you'd know your statement is wrong

Yes i know that there is a "point of no return" in RWD cars... played GTR Evo... but it seemed too... artificial... might give more time to GTR Evo in near future... .

When I read my sentence again... damn... need to revise my english

Please, stop talking bollocks.

I think the best simulation for drifting, overall, is Enthusia. Simply put, that was probably the most realistic car simulation to come out recently.
Quote from squidhead :Do you have a random bs generator somewhere, or do you actually come up with those posts of yours? And yes, if it was a simulator, you won't be able to drift, meaning LFS is not a sim and LFS Drift community doesn't play LFS

no, i mean lets be honest... any can powerslide a car at 20-30 mph...

but havin had my go in Rosegreen in tipperary ( all the irish users should know it )

80 mph is concidered nothing to them boys and i still ended up arseways...

lfs has a LONG way to go before its realisitic, and do please not, on that day i was sliding a rx-7 @ just over 300bhp, 1.5 stage II diff with stock radials, noobie set-up.

im just stick of all this fanboy b.s that " lfs is the most realistic simulator... blah blah blah...

since april 2007, they added... 2 cars ?? ( soon 3 ?? ) no weather effects, sure the cars handle somewhat better but still theirs 101 glitchs to configure, then when they do that you still have to rig you car for sliding and with the constant veriables that they dont have the man power to code...

theirs a better chance of a economic recovery before this game gets propperly realicitic.
Quote from theirishnoob :snip

So said a 17 year old asshat that has spelling capabilities and IQ equivalent of one kilo of fresh turds.

(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG