The online racing simulator
Smokers?
(143 posts, started )

Poll : Are you a smoker?

No
Yes
Sometimes (Casually)
I've been smoking for about 11 years and plan on quitting before June this year, 30th Birthday.

I figure I'm going to kill myself in some other way before cancer gets me but I want to get fit again and get back into my old cricket team etc
Quote from thisnameistaken :Biggie - sorry, I was quoting an old Adam Ant song, "Goody Two Shoes". It's quite possible that the song wasn't a hit in Germany, because it was... well, rubbish, frankly.

Blasphemy! Stand and Deliver was the first single I ever bought, Kings of the Wild Frontier the first album. Still love it!

Ahem, back on topic, still smoking, very similar situation to Vilante 11, planning on quitting before Im 30 in May, Ive smoked for 16 years! I hate it, its so depressing being a slave to something so bad for you, i am weak. But I am determined to overcome.

Biggie, apart from the no drinking, no smoking you just described me!
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Well... atm only sometimes in special days or something...
Quote from thisnameistaken :First single I ever bought was Madness - House of Fun. Same year I think, but my choice of single is better than yours

I still think the bassline from House of Fun is one of the best basslines ever.

I have to admit your right, at the time I would have argued with you till the cows got bored, but these days I apreciate madness much more.
I bought the very first "now thats what I call music" that year, house of fun was on it

on topic - ahem, still smoking
Bad health effects aside what is it that smokers actually get from cigarettes? Maybe you get something out of it but apart from a bit of a headspin I never got anything out of it. I can't see any positives to it.
Smoking weed on the other hand is a different story and relative to nicotine it's harmless.
Quote from tailing :
Smoking weed on the other hand is a different story and relative to nicotine it's harmless.

Do you really think thats true?, there have been well documented reports about the mental health issues that are connected with smoking it.

Dan,
You don't expect a weed smoker to admit that it's extremely damaging to youur system, not least your brain. I mean, they would admit it, but they can no longer remember what it was they were going to admit.

P.S. Used to smoke it back when I was a lad (well, more of a lad, but not quite a boy. Okay okay, around 17/18), but decided that it was a stupid thing to do. So now I just smoke tobacco illepall Stupid addictions!
#59 - Goop
Quote from tailing :Bad health effects aside what is it that smokers actually get from cigarettes? Maybe you get something out of it but apart from a bit of a headspin I never got anything out of it. I can't see any positives to it.

It creeps up on you Sars. The kick in the back of the throat, the thing you do when you need to relax or take 5, or when you are relaxed, or when you have a coffee, or another substance... etc. It's habitual - you did it when you were doing this thing last time, so you do it everytime. It's sort of like letting out a sigh, just seems to let a bit of pressure off, at least for me.
-
Quote from danowat :Do you really think thats true?, there have been well documented reports about the mental health issues that are connected with smoking it.

Yeah I do think it is true but notice I was careful to say relative to nicotine. No drug is completely harmless, especially when abused but a minority of people suffering mental health problems from smoking weed pales into insignificance when compared to the hundreds of thousands of people who die each year from cigarette smoking.

I can understand what your saying goop because there is that habitual nature with any drug I think. I guess with cigarettes it seems that five minutes after you've had one it's basically as if you never had it, at least with other drugs there's a longer lasting and more profound effect.
Quote from tailing :at least with other drugs there's a longer lasting and more profound effect.

Well, thats just the thing really, the human body gets used to and adapts to these drugs, which is why "normal" drug use such as smoking weed leads to more and more smoking of weed to try and hit the original high, which they can't, then this leads into the downward spiral of looking for the high again, which leads onto hard drugs, and because of the criminal element that is involved with "soft" drugs like weed, i.e. you need to go to a dealer to get it, the procurement of hard drugs is easy.
Best course of action is not to do any of it, only then you can be sure of not ending up a gibbering wreck, eating out of rubbish bins and sleeping in a skip
Just say no boys and girls

Dan,
Quote from danowat :Just say no boys and girls

Wheres the fun in that?

I bet you drink beer though, right? Now go ahead and list the effects an addiction to beer could cause.
No, I don't, I used to when I was a teenager, I used to do LOTS of things when I was a teenager, but I saw the error of my ways so to speak.
I know it sounds boring, and "square" but I have seen first hand how these things spiral out of control, it does happen, and it creeps up on people without them even knowing it, it happens to people who would never think it could happen to them.
The effects of alcohol addiction are as bad as a lot of hard drugs, but again there is this thing of socially acceptable drug taking which I find complete BS.
Its up to the individual in the end, I am not here to preach , but if you'd seen some of the things I have seen

Dan,
If your against all forms of drugs then that is fair enough, at least you are consistent. My beef is similar to yours in that some of the most damaging drugs are the ones that are socially acceptable and relatively harmles ones like weed are illegal creating all sorts of unnecessary negatives like criminality as you mention.
To just say 'don't do drugs' is a bit naive in my opinion though, fair enough it works for you but not for most. Better to be open with young people imo about all drugs, their positives and their negatives. Lying in an effort to kerb drug use of any kind is not the answer imo and can encourage feelings of rebellion that many young people already have.
Anyway it wasn't my intention to start a huge debate about all this but it tends to happen when you mention drugs
Health discussion is the way forward, I am not familliar with any positives from drug taking (Class C/B or A, or even alcohol/tobacco), if there are any then the long term physical and mental effects far, far outwieght any positives.

Dan,
Well there may not be many positives from a health standpoint but there definately are some and no one would do drugs if there were no positives at all to doing so. I guess though that most would generally fall into the category of the feelings they can produce and with certain drugs the expansion of certain thought processes. Take LSD for example, I think most people could benefit from doing it at least once in a controlled environment. It's a unique life experience and it gives you an added perspective on the world that you will get nowhere else.
No cigarettes but cigarillos and cigars, mostly from cuba and on rare occasions pipe. As favourite brand I would say H. Upmann though there are a lot of good cigars with and without big names. About one cigar a week together with friends while watching a good movie, sometimes a cigarillo every other week again together with a friend(s). Why? Either you can understand how great spending an evening sitting together with the taste and smell a good cigar is or you can't and think what kind of moron I am smoking these foul things.
Quote from B2B@300 :...hate the taste of beer and I'm an Aussie!...

Well I'm not surprised, with that piss you Aussie's call beer
I dont like that stinking cigarettes. So I never started to smoke.
#70 - Gunn
I quit three years ago after twenty years of lung abuse.

Quote from Rob76 :Well I'm not surprised, with that piss you Aussie's call beer

I hope you don't think they all drink Fosters.
I don't smoke, and I'll never do it. My mom smokes and that's the biggest thing I hate about her, and she can't quit either. My dad used to smoke, and suddenly he said: I quit. And he stopped.

I don't like people who smoke, people my age that smoke always look like they just do it to be cool, and to be a rebel, although it seems more and more people are coming to find smoking moronic. This also means I wouldn't even date anyone that smokes, my last girlfriend kept it a secret for me for a while, she never smoked while I was around, when I did find out she had to quit or leave.
Quote from tailing :Take LSD for example, I think most people could benefit from doing it at least once in a controlled environment.

Good man, Tailing -- I should have known it would be an Australian who put in a good word for the psychotropics.

Danowat, as someone else said, your position on drug use has the virtue of being consistent (i.e., you're not the usual pint-drinking, cigarette-smoking hypocrite who tells his kids to keep away from drugs). But I'm concerned that you comment only on the very small body of research that suggests a link between heavy cannabis use and the triggering of psychotic episodes in people already predisposed to schizophrenia. I would argue that the research you refer to has achieved prominence recently for political reasons, and that a dispassionate review of all available research on cannabis consumption leads to the conclusion that it's pretty benign compared to many other things we ingest regularly.

(Sorry to jump on you about this, it's just that you used the phrase "well documented" in your initial comment, and one of my pet peeves about drug research is that a particular study's scientific legitimacy and its media exposure are at best uncorrelated and at worst negatively linked.)

In fact I'm slightly surprised to see how many LFS "users" are towards the puritanical end of the drug-use spectrum. Perhaps this has something to do with adrenaline being their favourite tipple, who knows?

And no, I'm not a junkie, I've smoked perhaps a dozen cigarettes in my life, and the last drug I consumed was a 1999 Rosemount Estate Shiraz Cabernet. But I will admit that society's deeply confused attitude to the inevitable consumption of mind-altering substances both saddens and annoys me at times.
-
My findings are from personal experiance, nothing more, nothing less, I have seen 1st hand the effects of a wide range of substances.
It's up to the individual, but people SHOULD be told about the effects that CAN be caused by taking "recreational" drugs, I would'nt ever force anyone not to do anything, its not my place.
But saying that weed/grass/dope whatever is safe is total rubbish, and those that believe that are either blind, ignorant or stupid, the same way that if people think, alcohol, tobacco etc etc are safe then they are one of the above 3.

Dan,
Quote from sgt.flippy :
I don't like people who smoke, people my age that smoke always look like they just do it to be cool, and to be a rebel, although it seems more and more people are coming to find smoking moronic.

same here, there's plenty of teenagers like that in my hometown (East Malaysia), there's just so many other things they could do to be cool instead of smoking, and of all the things, they chosed to smoke which is just a slower way of killing their own health. illepall

Smokers?
(143 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG