The online racing simulator
I've heard of backseat drivers, but I haven't seen backseat race drivers before.
Quote from Byku :Wish there were racing tracks in Poland ...

There has to be some racing tracks in Poland else Kubica's wouldn't habe got to where he is today
Quote from sam93 :There has to be some racing tracks in Poland else Kubica's wouldn't habe got to where he is today

Some kart tracks I believe but he moved to Italy quite young where there are plenty
Quote from sam93 :There has to be some racing tracks in Poland else Kubica's wouldn't habe got to where he is today

He did do some karting in Poland before moving to Italy to compete in some serious karting.

Not really sure if there is many tracks but they ought to be one or two somewhere Good luck finding one
Yeh but how good are those few tracks? Weren't Kubica/Rosberg/Hamilton laek 8-10 when they started karting (together) in Italy?
Has anyone noted that Intrepids math is off...

Since when does (150 + 20 + 40 + 1000) - 1000 = 220...

Shows how much power and intellect he can have behind his arguements when he can't do basic maths.

Are those Kph or Mph?

Nice video, respect Mr. Tristan. BTW what did you study (or are studying)?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Has anyone noted that Intrepid's math is off?

Since when does (150 + 20 + 40 + 1000) - 1000 = 220?

Shows how much power and intellect he can have behind his arguments when he can't do basic maths.

fixed Dawesdust you left yourself wide open there shame on you!
Quote from Intrepid :And explain to me why that has relevance?

Well you already know Tristan doesn't want to make a career of motorsport, but you still felt the need to lecture him about fitness because he said one corner was a little hard on his neck. Can't you see how that might be a bit patronising given your experience? If a qualified fitness coach with history of coaching drivers competing in similar levels of motorsport offered some advice, then I'm sure Trisan would listen to it.

Some kart racer spouting whatever they learnt in a vocational P.E lesson, or read on google, or maybe overheard someone his dads friends cousin knows saying, is slightly different. You wouldn't give a brick layer advice on their technique because you spoke to one once and they gave you some tips. Perhaps help Tristan by giving him some simple exercise techniques he can use to improve his neck muscles, something that wouldn't require a special effort or take up any of his time, assuming you know enough to do that.

You could always continue to insult him by saying he has a big ego. Although I suspect his neck muscles would be really strong if they were the case, having to retract his head from his anus to breath every few seconds would be quite a work out.
Christ Intrepid is it really worth taking the time to quote his post, highlight the miss-spelt word in bold then point out his mistake for him, and everyone else, to see? Or is that all you could come up with to explain why your maths was wrong?

I for one know that if a "racing-driving coach" approached me, said "look, I'll make you a much better driver, but I've never raced much myself nor done particularly well", I'd politely tell them to leave me alone. So I think that that is a perfectly valid reason not to accept their help.

Anyway, enough of that rubbish. Tristan, brilliantly done! Like I said, think positive and you'll do well. And obviously you did! Loved watching the vid, the data overlap was ace. Driving looked spot-on too, that save a 9:10 was nice! And the pass at 10:40 was ace to watch, squirmy back-end!.

You would have creamed that guy if your misfire problem didn't occur, so glad you managed to get that fixed. Keep it up, great stuff, I expect to see more of these wins coming your way. Looked like you really deserved that one.
Nice race, congrats on your first win!

I wish i'd have known you were racing there though, look below how close i am to Mallory!!
Attached images
mallory.jpg
meh good luck everyone. Here's one piece of advice you should listen to and will be my last message on this thread

Be careful what you say to people you don't know because you never know the opportunities lost
Quote from Intrepid :meh good luck everyone. Here's one piece of advice you should listen to and will be my last message on this thread

Be careful what you say to people you don't know because you never know the opportunities lost

Perhaps the most self-righteous person I've ever seen?

I'm jealous, I want an F3 car, and a race win.

We've got EXACLY 1,5 track in Poland :P(soon we will have 0 tracks, as one is full of holes, and the second might get it's license revoked), both of them are around 300km from me... Kubica trained in Italy a lot if i'm correct... or somewhere else . Poland is a nightmare for motorsport fans... i've searched for big carparks near my hometown... without success ... ffs...
Quote from Intrepid :

That's some bad advice right there. I'm not going to be nice to everyone just because I might get something out of it, that would be dishonest and selfish.
Quote from Intrepid :An egoless person would have responded with a more balanced answer. They would have explained their situation without the need to put down the other person by claiming their opinions 'worthless'. They may have also asked for advice on where to improve.

like you being well known around here for listening to other peoples advice when it comes to race etiquette?

Quote from Intrepid :And explain to me why that has relevance? Some of the best football coaches, golf coaches, tennis coaches etc... have had limited success as a player in their chosen sport.

all good german footbal national coaches that i can think of have won world championships
what was your point again?

must have been pretty annyoing to lose that much track position through t1 every single lap
also i quite enjoyed your idea of how to successfully brake into the hairpin ie sideways and on the grass
Haha intrepid way to make a complete ass of yourself.

Tristan update your damn website already
Quote from amp88 :Congratulations on a well fought and well deserved win Tristan! It looked a bit hairy a few times (the 'moments' at 100+, the grass at the hairpin and the divebomb), but it must be satisfying to win a race like this, battling most of the way there. Do you know what the problem is that's causing the telemetry to display the wrong gear sometimes (lagging behind gearchanges and showing 6th when you couldn't find a gear at the start of the last lap)?

Repeating this so it doesn't get lost in the bullshit.
Guys, stop making fun of Kartor.

Lest ye forget his extensive ball collection!
Quote from Intrepid :fixed Dawesdust you left yourself wide open there shame on you!

Firefox's sucky spellcheck said it was valid...

Curiously enough.. Safari's did.
Quote from amp88 :Congratulations on a well fought and well deserved win Tristan! It looked a bit hairy a few times (the 'moments' at 100+, the grass at the hairpin and the divebomb), but it must be satisfying to win a race like this, battling most of the way there. Do you know what the problem is that's causing the telemetry to display the wrong gear sometimes (lagging behind gearchanges and showing 6th when you couldn't find a gear at the start of the last lap)?

The grass moment was the most scary from the cockpit, but even then I was fairly sure I'd make the corner. I was quite proud of the divebomb, as I left him room, kept it out of the wall and pretty much reached the apex too!

The gear thing is calculated from the RPM and Speed (GPS). I tell the dash my gear ratios and it works it out. But it gets confused with clutch slip, revving in neutral, and even tyre slip... It almost gets it right, but generally to late to look very good. I'd like that to improve, but that's down to the people who make the dash and software (Racepak) not me

Quote from Paranoid Android :Very nice video and driving! It's a shame the brake sensor seems on/off, I would have loved to see the braking more detailed. How does the track position overlay work? Gps?

The reason is: I couldn't afford a brake pressure sensor. Especially as I saved up to buy a steering sensor (which was also quite expensive). The track overlay is via GPS, as is the speed (which is why the speed sometimes lags behind).

Quote from Minimaxman :Tristan, brilliantly done! Like I said, think positive and you'll do well. And obviously you did! Loved watching the vid, the data overlap was ace. Driving looked spot-on too, that save a 9:10 was nice! And the pass at 10:40 was ace to watch, squirmy back-end!.

You would have creamed that guy if your misfire problem didn't occur, so glad you managed to get that fixed. Keep it up, great stuff, I expect to see more of these wins coming your way. Looked like you really deserved that one.

Thanks. It was a very, very satisfying race, and I hope I get more of the same over the course of the season.

Quote from GFresh :Nice race, congrats on your first win!

I wish i'd have known you were racing there though, look below how close i am to Mallory!!

Donington next (Sunday 7th June apparently), so that's probably not a million miles away from you!
Quote from Shotglass :must have been pretty annyoing to lose that much track position through t1 every single lap
also i quite enjoyed your idea of how to successfully brake into the hairpin ie sideways and on the grass

It was annoying, but you just have to accept it. If it gets to you and the 'red mist' comes down then you drive badly and, usually, slowly. So I just tried to minimise the misfire by taking a wider line and being smooth (traffic notwithstanding), and nailing it into the Esses and the hairpin.
You must have raced me enough in LFS to know that sideways and on the grass is just my style

Quote from sil3ntwar :Tristan update your damn website already

I know, I know. I will do it. Soon.
Man, amateur racing is always so much better than pro racing, I think it is partly because you look around the pit lane and see the most Heath Robinson pit crews ever and part because if one wanted to they could touch (touch, not touch up) the drivers without having 20 bodyguards breaking your fingers.

Plus it turns out TC (hehe, TC) here is pretty good at staying on the black stuff. I should probably go to one of his races to get an autograph so when he makes it all big time it'll be worth millions and I'll be rich
Tristan, what DVR/camera combination are you using? The footage is pretty good. Though your car is probably considerably kinder to electronics than the ones I work with so you can use something a little higher quality but less tough.
We got it all from DogCamSport. It's a Sony HQ1 bullet camera, mounted on our roll hoop via a bespoke home-designed, home-made mount, and linked to a Chasecam PDR100 Compact Flash MPEG2 recorder at 8Mbps and 720*576.

The footage is pretty good. The raw footage is interlaced, so looks best on a TV screen (that likes interlaced video), and looks a bit naff on a computer monitor. But I deinterlace the footage for use on a computer (done automatically when the datalogging overlay is added in Trackvision) so that it looks nice there.

I also make a non-overlayed .flv version for hosting on my own website which is also deinterlaced (but lower bitrate).

The deal I have with DogCam is that I have to send a DVD of my footage to them after every race. In return they provide almost unparalleled customer support
Great vid Tristan and congrats on the win.

I wasn't in the mood for racing at all last night, then i watched your race, felt inspired by it, jumped in the Skippy (iRacing) and had the best race I've been in so far since i joined up, an epic battle resulting in a fine win and plenty of fist pumping

I never thought I'd see the day when i could say Tristan inspired me to victory but you did, thanks

Keep the vids coming, and good luck with your next race.

Cliffe crashes out of the lead
(324 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG