The online racing simulator
Quote from sam93 :Well he told me that it is an original Evo 2 kit...

Quote from sam93 :Also he doesn't want it to be an exact replica of the Evo 2.

Either way, neither that one or the actual Evo look decent. The only good looking Evo is the Lancer Evo
Quote from dougie-lampkin :

Either way, neither that one or the actual Evo look decent. The only good looking Evo is the Lancer Evo

I like the Evo 2 190E Merc, I don't know what is not nice about it, I would rather have a Lancer Evo though, the new one, I like it a lot.
Lancia delta integrale evo is nice
The original just looks like a ricer got a hold of his grandad's Merc while he was taking a nap. It just looks so terrible. The Lancer Evo, in comparison, looks like it was made to be pimped

I will concede on the Lanica, didn't know there was an Evo of it
Quote from Jakg :

Also, in true 17-year-old first car fashion I'm considering a new sound system, mainly because atm it can play tapes. And that's it. Any recommendations? I'm a total nub here.

hey mate, i can fix you up with Clarion or Alpine acc's/players combi units. retail less 50 to you

E:
obviously new ones.... its in like my job we sell these and stuff.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :The original just looks like a ricer got a hold of his grandad's Merc while he was taking a nap. It just looks so terrible. The Lancer Evo, in comparison, looks like it was made to be pimped

I will concede on the Lanica, didn't know there was an Evo of it

Must be lucky grand child then, the 190E Evo 2 isn't cheap, £30k, they are now rare, in their day they were very nice, it was made to contend with the E30 M3 Evo, I would take the E30 over it though, the best BMW made IMO.
Quote from CSU1 :hey mate, i can fix you up with Clarion or Alpine acc's/players combi units. retail less 50 to you

E:
obviously new ones.... its in like my job we sell these and stuff.

The first half of that post sounded SO dodgy
Quote from dougie-lampkin :The first half of that post sounded SO dodgy

Good job he didn't say clarion or alpine models, would sound even more dodgy.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :The front ones rise up more and have less depth.

which is probably the reason why its not a proper evo conversion
on a 16v the arch is lower so to change the arches you cant just change the body part or else the inside of the arch that seperates the engine compartment from the wheel would be visible

Quote from dougie-lampkin :The original just looks like a ricer got a hold of his grandad's Merc while he was taking a nap. It just looks so terrible. The Lancer Evo, in comparison, looks like it was made to be pimped

indeed... theres quite a few evo2 owners whove had a hard time explaining to the police that they dont have an abe (certificate that allows you to put a certain spoiler on a car) for the bodykit because thats how the car left the mercedes factory
unlike all the other bodykits in this thread this one though is functional does achieve a reduction in lift and was used in and developed for motorsports
Quote from Shotglass :which is probably the reason why its not a proper evo conversion
on a 16v the arch is lower so to change the arches you cant just change the body part or else the inside of the arch that seperates the engine compartment from the wheel would be visible

Correct. When i was doing bodywork repairs on a 190Evo in the past, i had to take the front arches off in the process. It was interesting to see how they were put together.
Well, I just had an epic idea - instead of getting a new stereo - why not buy a little cassette -> 3.5mm minijack adaptor, a car charger for my MP3 player and a little phone / mp3 player holder? epic idea i said...

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2599 - £2.40 (ordered) - tape adaptor.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2029 - £3.78 - holder.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.688 - £1.41 - Cigarette -> USB Power cable (Can charge the Mp3 player via USB).

Haven't ordered the last two yet, sound like a good idea?

I'll be using it with my Creative Zen Sleek Photo.

Overall the "car kit" comes to £7.59 delivered which isnt bad
Bad idea, the quality through them things is terrible. Worse than original cassette terrible.

If you wanted to do it the cheap mans way, get a £10 Belkin FM transmitter. Works really well, I used one in my car till I upgraded the stereo unit & speakers, at which point you could really notice the still-poor quality. Hence the upgrade to a proper MP3 interface for my Sony headunit, which works through the cd-changer data port and has phono inputs.

Fiddling with the small buttons on an mp3 player is not something to do while driving either, much nicer when you can press the solid chunky buttons on the stereo or the wheel controls.

I use a window mount like that for my phone though, when I'm using the satnav on it. Nice peice of kit. When I was using the FM transmitter I had a small sliding mount fitted on the dash so I could keep the wires tucked away.

Quote from Jakg :Well, I just had an epic idea - instead of getting a new stereo - why not buy a little cassette -> 3.5mm minijack adaptor, a car charger for my MP3 player and a little phone / mp3 player holder? epic idea i said...

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2599 - £2.40 (ordered) - tape adaptor.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.688 - £1.41 - Cigarette -> USB Power cable (Can charge the Mp3 player via USB).

Quote from Jakg : £7.59

you got your moneys worth there, you must really like music
Quote from Jakg :Well, I just had an epic idea - instead of getting a new stereo - why not buy a little cassette -> 3.5mm minijack adaptor, a car charger for my MP3 player and a little phone / mp3 player holder? epic idea i said...

As I posted before when I suggested this...I have used the cassette for almost 2-3 years and they are perfectly fine for music. They might not have the best sound quality, but what do you expect from a cassette deck?
Quote from Rtsbasic :Bad idea, the quality through them things is terrible. Worse than original cassette terrible.

Given the quality of in-car audio equipment you're not really going to notice the difference. You are in a vibrating box which no acoustic qualities at all. Even if you throw in expensive speakers and head units you're still limited by the fact a car is not made to be an audio heaven, as such all you get is more vibration, which sounds like arse.

I've used one of those tape things before and didn't notice any difference to when I finally got round to changing to a CD Player. If he was using one in a Hi-Fi, yes the difference would be shocking, in a car however, it is highly unlikely you'll notice any major change in audio quality.
After hearing one plugged into an iPod today (admitedly, it was one from Asda in an old Toyota Corolla) it didn't sound bad at all..
You won't notice the difference in a car (well, you might in a Maybach, but not in any car less than £60k), and <£8 is a steal really. You can save the money for something more useful than wasting hundreds (or if your a chav, thousands) on audio equipment that won't sound any better.

This set goes well with most dashboards, the fin-like face blends in with the air blowers thingys, ~£100...comes in a chav white too
Bit late seeing as i just bought my £8 sound-setup
plus all fm adds impossible to avoid noise if you use it in stereo mode
Well, there you go. Tristan has spoken and you know when he speaks, all must stop, listen, and take what he says as the absolute truth. I am throwing away every piece of audio equipment I have for the car now because Tristan, with his knowledge of everything he knows nothing about, has spoken.

Sure, for the 'chavs' as you kids call them today, it is all about making midbass as loud and annoying as possible. But, don't tell me that audio equipment in a car that you spend hours in is useless and a waste of money. The acoustics (or lack of) is the whole point of high fidelity car audio. Anyone can go out and spend big money on a system in the house and have it sound like any other system. In a car, it takes thought and design to come up with a system and installation. It takes precise speaker placement to achieve anything other than noise in a car.

In my car, way back when I was involved with the car audio stuff, you could close your eyes and visualize the soundstage. You could visualize exactly where each member of a band might be at. You could hear the breaths of air intake between verses of the lead singer. The soundstage was indeed much larger than the car itself.

Now is the time when Tristan comes back to spout about added weight and all that other crap. For the added weight of a properly designed audio system, you could just wear a lighter pair of shoes, clean out the govebox and your wallet, and now you've just made up the majority of the added weight.
Quote from mrodgers :Anyone can go out and spend big money on a system in the house and have it sound like any other system.

Similarly, anyone can go and spend big money on a system in their car, and have it sound like any other system.

Quote from mrodgers :In a car, it takes thought and design to come up with a system and installation. It takes precise speaker placement to achieve anything other than noise in a car.

It takes precise speaker placement to reproduce sound most efficiently in one's house as well. For example, for a setup that would have two speaker enclosures (With a woofer, and a horn tweeter for example), the positioning of those two enclosures could make a huge difference. Like the angle that enclosures tow in towards each other, distance from walls, height, etc.

Quote from mrodgers :For the added weight of a properly designed audio system, you could just wear a lighter pair of shoes, clean out the govebox and your wallet, and now you've just made up the majority of the added weight.

I think he meant the idiots who put on a fart cannon and cold air intake and then cram in car audio and stuff, and call it a "sports car" even if it's a 95hp economy car.
Quote from mrodgers :In my car, way back when I was involved with the car audio stuff, you could close your eyes and visualize the soundstage. You could visualize exactly where each member of a band might be at. You could hear the breaths of air intake between verses of the lead singer. The soundstage was indeed much larger than the car itself.

and then you turn the engine on and it all goes to waste
i rather doubt jack will use the car as his living room so whats the point?
Quote from Shotglass :i rather doubt jack will use the car as his living room so whats the point?

If he did, this is what could happen:

Quote from Jakg in the future :Let me just kick back and relax, while I'm driving down the road in my awesome Proton Wira. Ahhhhh... All these speakers sure are nice, I can close my eyes and feel where the individual instruments are. OH NO! A GIANT MAN-EATING BADGER! *Crash *Guts of man-eating badger splatter all over windshield

Lets Rice Ma Car, y0!
(682 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG