The online racing simulator
Help me choose Agp Card
(20 posts, started )
Help me choose Agp Card
Hi Guys and Gals

I would like to race without me stuttering around the track too much and a friend said that an upgraded Video or graphics card will help me

Here are my specs of my computer

Asrock Motherboard
Amd Sempron 2300+
1gig of ram

I know my computer isnt that rocking but it does the job. Now im not that rich(have about $40 Australian to spend because i want to buy a s2 license soon after)

Thank you
Buying a license first make your FPS increase by 10%. The you just gotta do some underground races at South City to align the cash for a new computer.
To give you an idea. I still race with and overclocked laptop CPU on my stationary, 1gb ram and an outdated 6800LE AGP card and don´t have probs. at all. What´s your graphics card right now?
128MB Radeon 9800 PRO. No arguments needed

Been running that card for years, literally. My PC is over 7 years old, that card has been in since the beginning. Absolutely no problems, still average over 100FPS in LFS with everything full. You can pick them up for beans on Ebay, and they don't require uber-leet PSUs to power them either. My 250W powers that, a 3.5Ghz processor, 2 hard drives, 2 DVD/RW drives, a floppy drive and 4GB RAM
256mb ATi Radeon X800 PRO VIVO. It is my card and I average 100fps with my terrible CPU, PSU and RAM! Mine was £45 but they are usually alot cheaper!
thanx for the ideas so far guys

atm i am running intergrated graphics and averaging around 15fps when using the incar view and from the start of a race its almost impossible to know where im going.
based on what you got, i believe the best options are the ATI Radeon 9800, as mentioned by dougie-lampkin, or the Nvidia Geforce FX 5900. The differences are subtle. The ATI one is a bit better but heats up a little bit more than the Geforce. It all depends on what you can find and at which prices, but also be sure that you have an AGP slot (i remember my first motherboard didn't have one). That amount of RAM is fine as it is.

R.Kolz and shaun463, i think those cards are not the best choice. What's the point of getting a faster graphics card if some other component can't keep up with it? i think those are best suited for a 3Ghz or higher CPU, or a small Core2Duo.
i pick up a ati radeon 9800 XXL tomorrow for $30, so thanks for the help guys - s2 in a few weeks *YAY**
Quote from jonny__27 :R.Kolz and shaun463, i think those cards are not the best choice. What's the point of getting a faster graphics card if some other component can't keep up with it? i think those are best suited for a 3Ghz or higher CPU, or a small Core2Duo.

When you can get faster card for same price, you have nothing to lose.
I wouldn't buy budget cards from store because their prices usually level off after 1 year and stay there until they're all gone. Don't be suprised to have old card being sold for 40€ and just next to it there's two generations newer for exactly the same price.
@Jonny: No my computer is terrible, it doesn't have any of that. With Intergrated Graphics I got about 15fps now I get 120fps .
Problem Installing vid Card
Well it seems i have another problem, my computer isnt finding the card or recognising it at all.

The Fan is working sweet just if i plug my monitor cord into it im getting no picture nor am i finding it in Device Manager. I have installed the latest drivers but still nothing, im starting to think i bought a dud card which sucks!

Any help with figuring this out?
not trying to stick a 8x agp card into a 4/2x agp slot?
connected power cable (if needed?) psu enough powah??

i woulnt invest anything into a agp system.. its all outdated ...
Agp slot on my mobo according to the website is 8x/4x
PSU is 550W
and i dont know about any power cord, nothing came included when i bought it.
look on the videocard if there is a place to connect a 4 pin connector from ur psu could be same molex as hard disk or dvd drive or could be a small one like on a floppy drive
G13 you my friend are a champion, THANK YOU SO MUCH AND I WOULD KISS YOU IF YOU WERE HERE!!!

Edit - Now this is the picture im getting, some parts of the track are ok but others i cant see where im going,
Attached images
1.JPG
those are artifacts.. could be broken card.. Heat problem.. Overclock?
try do a fresh install of drivers (latest ones)
also make sure there is no dust in/on the fans of the videocard if there is no fan make sure theres a good airflow in your case

and ur welcome
Looks like more than a heat issue, looks like a buggered card...is it second hand? If it is, the previous owner has probably overclocked the bejases out of it before selling...if it's new, then it's probably just a bad one...
thanx for the help guys we shall end this now i gave the stupid card a much deserved death. Next time i wont buy second hand.
HI GUYS

well today i recieved a new card from the guy i bought the faulty one from. And my Fps has now been boosted to 60-70. Cant wait for s2 now
its a nice card indeed, i used to have a 256m version, but then i got a msi 7600
AND your getting S2, very nice

Help me choose Agp Card
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG