The online racing simulator
the [some other] devs are making the roads more dangerous by creating L[N]FS.
I just don't understand why they have to spend so much money on these studies, when the answer is plainly obvious. I would be the first to say that I am a BIT more confident in my driving skills than I should be, a bit reason for which is me "racing experience" with this game. It just seems like a waste of money to prove what is actually a fairly obvious fact.

I do think I am a better driver as a result. It's just that with that added "experience" comes added risk-taking.
#3 - Chaos
no surprise the test subjects drove more aggresively, when they had to play Burnout, Midnight Racer and Need for Speed.

For me, playing LFS made me more cautious and more aware of what others are doing... I had 3 car accidents in my life... All were only light crashes, with scratched door, bent suspension, etc.... All before I found LFS... Now, after almost 6 years with LFS, I had no accident at all and I drive many more kms per year than before due to my job...

So I don't really know where the truth lies...
wrong title, man!
games that those people used to test were itself "aggressive" and awarding for reckless and dangerous driving.
LFS is totally different, of course, and shouldn't be associated with those games at all. wrong title......
I'm afraid of getting near a red and white barrier :scared:
Quote from Dalibor79 :wrong title, man!
games that those people used to test were itself "aggressive" and awarding for reckless and dangerous driving.
LFS is totally different, of course, and shouldn't be associated with those games at all. wrong title......

i was joking man.
Kinda stupid research if you ask me.

Is it a surprise that drivers who are likely to take risks on the road are the same drivers who are likely to play a racing simulator game? I could have told them that without spending millions on research
I think LFS prevents accidents in real life. I don't have to do wheelies, burnouts, donuts, reckless driving in real life because I can simulate them in LFS.

Oh, and no need to practice heel & toe in real life, either.
Quote from Gentlefoot :Kinda stupid research if you ask me.

Is it a surprise that drivers who are likely to take risks on the road are the same drivers who are likely to play a racing simulator game?

Well yes, I'd be surprised.

LFS definitely does increase confidence while driving at least for some people, but the huge flaw in the article is that it equates confidence with aggression or risk-taking.

I'm a better, safer driver because of LFS. I pay closer attention to each car around me, how it's behaving, how fast it is moving relative to me, etc. I look further down the road. I pay closer attention to small bumps and things in the road which may affect traction. I just generally focus more, and people who are passengers while I'm driving often tell me that I'm a safe driver. Yet I have fun while driving too. In certain situations on public roads, it's completely safe to chuck it into a corner a little bit. Not enough to actually approach the limit of course, but just give yourself a sense that it's there. Makes driving much more exciting.
Quote from Chaos :no surprise the test subjects drove more aggresively, when they had to play Burnout, Midnight Racer and Need for Speed.

ahahah true! i'd be pissed of if i had to play those too xD
Gotta agree with Lateralus, and I also find the research stupid. I don't remember reading any age of the people who participated (only a vague "young" - wich could explain the results by itself), and I'm not sure on this, but having a group of less than 200 people can hardly prove any study, I guess?

Anyway, seems to me that's the same as saying that GTA makes people hijack cars and kill policemen, and Orkut is used for terrorrists to plan their actions. Just because a few degenerated people do that, doesn't mean they're evil.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :I do think I am a better driver as a result. It's just that with that added "experience" comes added risk-taking.

The added risk taking negates any improvement in skill, thusly not making you a better driver. Just a stupider one with a little more ability.
LFS actually makes me more sensible on the roads because I realise how long it actually takes to slow a car down and how easy it can be to lose it.

GT5 et al, which call themselves simulators, make people think driving fast is easy and you can just turn with practically unlimited grip etc. People actually believe that this is what driving fast cars feels like, try and replicate it on the road and then end up wrapped round a tree.
Racing theory and simulators, in a way, have made me a worse driver.

Racing techniques don't belong in the road. My driving is very aggressive and nervous, braking late and using the accelerator early to exit turns and roundabouts. I shouldn't turn as fast and hard as I do and I use the road shoulder to smoothe my line in right hand corners.

To sum up, I make my passengers sick. Must be scary for them too.
As usual dodgy stats and correlations moulded to represent 'fact'.

Could it be that RISKY driver sare more inclined to play driving games??? Of course this wouldn't make a good headline!

Dangerous drivers are more likely to play games than non-dangerous drivers in their spare time

doesn't really sound as good as

Computer games CREATE bad drivers.

The same stats can come up with TWO completely different conclusions.

Phschologists have done it for years...

I didn;t read those articles because I can't be bothered... so please correct me if my statement doesn't 'correlate' to what is said in the articles
Some games are just so extremely unrealistic that people think they can also do stuff like that in real life. For example, some guy lately said if you drive with 250kmh into the side of another car, you can use the other cars mass to block you from crashing into the wall. That way, he thought its possible to take a turn with just a few scrathes on his door.
Thats not a joke, this really happened.....

Sometimes I really wish I was born stupid, so I wouldnt notice all this... aahhh!!!
Quote from ORION :Some games are just so extremely unrealistic that people think they can also do stuff like that in real life. For example, some guy lately said if you drive with 250kmh into the side of another car, you can use the other cars mass to block you from crashing into the wall. That way, he thought its possible to take a turn with just a few scrathes on his door.
Thats not a joke, this really happened.....

Sometimes I really wish I was born stupid, so I wouldnt notice all this... aahhh!!!

yes, that and the story we all know of the kids that went for some drifting with a Mazda MX-5 right after playing NFSUG2...
Quote from danielMG :Racing theory and simulators, in a way, have made me a worse driver.

Racing techniques don't belong in the road. My driving is very aggressive and nervous, braking late and using the accelerator early to exit turns and roundabouts. I shouldn't turn as fast and hard as I do and I use the road shoulder to smoothe my line in right hand corners.

To sum up, I make my passengers sick. Must be scary for them too.

Why do you do this though?

Racing Techniques belong on a RACE track.. Just becuase you know these "racing techniques" doesnt mean you have to use them It's all you Racing games are out window. This is just another pointless Multi-million dollar study telling us that people are stupid and cant differentiate between real life and a game.
Quote from AjRose :Why do you do this though?(...)

I don't drive fast nor recklessly. Most of my driving is at 80 km/h (about 50 mph). After reading racing theory, I just started trying it out in my car. Nowadays I'm so used to it I can't drive like most people do, even if I try to.

I obsess with losing the least speed through a bend. Among other little things.

I think other people find my driving unpleasant because it so different from theirs that they can't anticipate the car's motion.
Good work on the thread title mods. Keep up the good work

I've been playing LFS (and shock, NFS) for 3 years. NFS for more. But neither makes me want to grab a boil-in-the-bag-rice and spin around town causing havok...having said that, I think that playing these games makes you a better driver in the end. You can understand that at the end of the day it's a game, and you can find the limits between reality and virtuality.

Sure there are some bad eggs, but it's really the same debate as all the mass-murders and GTA. 99.99999% of people who play it will never go on a mad killing spree, but it's still the 0.00001% that is focused on...Whether or not they've played a violent game doesn't matter. Any healthy person can draw the line. Same goes for this IMO
There was no computers or console racing video gaming when I was just starting to drive. There were kids acting like idiots back then as well, what was the excuse then? Ms. Pacman made kids drive like idiots on the road?
Quote from Lateralus :Well yes, I'd be surprised.

LFS definitely does increase confidence while driving at least for some people, but the huge flaw in the article is that it equates confidence with aggression or risk-taking.

I'm a better, safer driver because of LFS. I pay closer attention to each car around me, how it's behaving, how fast it is moving relative to me, etc. I look further down the road. I pay closer attention to small bumps and things in the road which may affect traction. I just generally focus more, and people who are passengers while I'm driving often tell me that I'm a safe driver. Yet I have fun while driving too. In certain situations on public roads, it's completely safe to chuck it into a corner a little bit. Not enough to actually approach the limit of course, but just give yourself a sense that it's there. Makes driving much more exciting.

You missed my point mate

What I'm saying is that it is not the racing game that is the cause of people taking risks on the road. Instead it is the nature of the people playing racing games and taking risks on the road.

I guess to put it another way you could say that people who take risks on the road are more likely to buy an S2 licence.

It's the cause/effect that I was on about
Must 've been done by the same idiots that concluded that WOMAN eating bananas before conception would increase the chances of getting a boy.
(in case you dont know, the MAN is responsible for the gender - he sends the X or Y cromossome that is responsible for gender).

More worrying - I told one of my colleagues the story, and I began : "You know, theres a british study that-" and he interrupted saying. "Nuff said. Theres a whole industry around so-called "british studies"".

EDIT:
This is the reasoning that brings the following smart conclusions:
It has been shown that the number of fireman has increased every year since 1980.
The number of fires / hectares burnt has increased since 1980.

So, remove the fireman, we will have less fires.

OR

It has been show the crime rate as increased since 1990
The number of police officers also increased since 1990

Remove the cops, less crime!

(ppl in their 1st year in college learn this do these people leave their brains at home???"
Quote from mrodgers :There was no computers or console racing video gaming when I was just starting to drive. There were kids acting like idiots back then as well, what was the excuse then? Ms. Pacman made kids drive like idiots on the road?

Nah, Pacman made us all want to run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.

I am surprised that LFS doesn't have the usual 'Remember to drive safely and always wear your seatbelt' crap somewhere though, it's almost as if games are forced to have this by some other body nowadays.
I don't think that the article has anything to do with racing sims.

As it says
"Most actions in racing games imply a high risk of having an accident or severe crash in a highly realistic virtual road traffic environment. Driving actions in these games often include competitive and reckless driving, speeding and crashing into other cars or pedestrians, or performing risky stunts with the vehicle."

Sounds more like NFS, Test Drive Unlimited and other crap on the market.

If you're on a racing server in LFS (I mean proper one) How often do you actually see people crashing and not being careful?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG