The online racing simulator
Brake/Shift animations
(23 posts, started )
Brake/Shift animations
I think maybe there should be In-car animations for Ebrake and gear shifting?
Sorry if this has already been posted.
#3 - JeffR
Quote : ... because when you shift gears it needs to happen immediately. but the animation still has to run, so it is going to be behind the physical act of you changing gears.

Here is a worst case sample of the delay from Race 07, it looks terrible:

r07obc3.wmv

Note that Race 07 normally hides the dashboard in cockpit view with a virtual helmet, so normally you can't see the shift action. I'm not sure if the virtual helmet was an afterthought or not. I downloaded a tweak to make the virtual helmet "invisible", although you can still get bug splats on the virtual visor portion of the helmet.

If the in game car's shift time is relatively slow, and the animation fast enough, then's it's not so bad (GPL, GTLegends, and a few others), but it's a bit of eye candy that doesn't seem needed.
Quote from JeffR :but it's a bit of eye candy that doesn't seem needed.

Heh.. right.
This is also the reason why many gamers that would be playing this game call it "stiff" looking.
#5 - JeffR
I updated my previous post to include the fact that Race 07 "covers" up this shifting, and actually the entire dashboard, with a virtual helmet. I used a downloaded tweak to make the helmet invisible, so that video is not what a player would normally see. Normally you can only see just above the dashboard through the virtual helmet's visor, and the animated shifting isn't visible. I wonder if the helmet view was an afterthought. If I rememer correctly, the helmet view is only used for the open top / open wheel cars, and not for the tin tops cars in the game.
But with those animations LFS will be more realistic.
in how will it add to the realism?

You could work around though by simply playing an animation of the hand going to the gear stick when your engine revs come close to the shift points.

Still, I think that the developing ressources could be spent in many more usefull ways.
I would rather have the hand 3d models updated, they look like 9 year old child's hands.
-1 In my opinion it would take from the realism for a few things. As stated above there would always be a delay from when you went to shift, and when the animation shifted. There would also be a distraction because if *you* are the gamer and *immersed* in your driving experience then seeing a hand shift the gears in the game would take away from the experience seeming how you just shifted the car, my opinion is its too much work for what its worth seeing how I don't think there is any traditional animation system.

If you moved this more towards animating pit crews, stewards and the other trackside people/objects then it might see some usefulness.
I totally agree with blackbird. These kind of animations are useless. There are other things to pay attention to, animations are less important.
I also think that it is useless. After seeing the Race 07 video, I even more think it is useless. I prefer watching my own hand do the shifting (courtersy of G25).
If you ask me, I would rather like to see pit crew animation (as mentioned before) or a little off-topic, motion blur on wheels.
#12 - Woz
That isssue highlighted in Race07 can be dealt with easy. When you are braking the animation would change slight to remain on the stick longer. Then when you bang down the gears the had would just stay on the stick.
But there's still a way to have anims without delay.
Example : xrg goes to about 8000RPM right?
So when the car is at 7000,7500RPM the driver puts his hand on the gear lever to change.
Then you click the buttonnd he imediately changes.

Hope i was usefull .
But what about when I would like to change gear while idling or at e.g. 2000 RPM and I will be changing gears very quickly. That won't work.
Quote from Flame CZE :But what about when I would like to change gear while idling or at e.g. 2000 RPM and I will be changing gears very quickly. That won't work.

Oh, come on, i'm sure you have played others game that use the same system as others racing games, like GTR2 or Race ON or GT5

You are not gona notice after a while, if we put bumps on the road will never gona have anything... this is the most important "FOR ME" that lfs need asap
Quote from Flame CZE :But what about when I would like to change gear while idling or at e.g. 2000 RPM and I will be changing gears very quickly. That won't work.

Agree. And how about downshifts, how would those be predicted? I mean come on, you have your own set of hands with real life super-graphics right in front of you. Why would you need a second set inside of the monitor? If the actual shifting is going to be delayed then that would suck so bad. If you're adding such an effect, at least make the actual shifting instant and let the animation lag behind.
we dont need that animation live,

but it would be great if it could be in replays..

cuz the only time u really need that kind of animations is in movies for the realism..
Quote from Mr_Lonely :we dont need that animation live,

but it would be great if it could be in replays..

cuz the only time u really need that kind of animations is in movies for the realism..

True. Then the whole problem about the moving the hand to shifter delay will be fixed too.
This is ridiculous....

If you have a g25 with shifter or anyother kind of wheel you can disable the animation so it wont botter you

For the rest you can have it there, so, when all of you play others game that have this animation and can't be turned of, how do you do it if you have a wheel and a shifter huh?
it is possible...

just make a delay between gear shifts to 30ms for sequential gearbox and 350ms for normal gearboxes (so you can't shift faster than 350ms delay) then the animation can be with realtime (barely though)

Or did I understood at all?
I don't want the gear shiftings to have a delay of 350 ms though
give all cars shift paddles, easy go lol
I also want animations for when I buy drugs at my favourite cruise server.

Brake/Shift animations
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG