The online racing simulator
Flight Simulator X
(190 posts, started )
Quote from buedi :Stuff

So just for clarification, listening and talking to the ATC is done via the in-game communications, FFInn, or Teamspeak? I have an account, got to the point where I was in a game, and in an FFInn server, but there was no chatter. Although this was perhaps because I was at Schiphol, which I guess is not as popular as I'd hoped it would be

Edit: I do realise how terrifying it must be to request taxi/takeoff clearance or whateverfor the first time though, I look forward to it!
Is it also a good place to have a friendly chat and meet some people though? Or is it all 'work' and no play? :>
Quote from JamesF1 :I have mine locked at 22, too... but for some people that's not quite enough. Flight simming isn't an FPS-penis contest like sim-racing, or other genre, seem to be (It's more "who's got the biggest joystick?"-contest )

It is the one 'game' that is fine with 22fps. I'm certainly one of those people that don't think anything else is smooth without 60fps.

I always found running flight sim with FPS on unlimited caused a terrible amount of stutter and jerkiness. A fixed fps of 22-24 provides a lovely experience.

FSX on the other hand....15 fps just doesn't cut it, and since when was half the world covered in desert?

Nope, for the time being whilst I've got Glacier Bay down to Portland looking so great, with so many addons, and the Alps region and Australia looking awesome as well, i won't be changing. FSX will prob get sold, and I'll invest in FS11 in a few years time instead.
Quote from Jertje :Is it also a good place to have a friendly chat and meet some people though? Or is it all 'work' and no play? :>

If you want a quick route to the ban list, yes

Quote from The Moose :since when was half the world covered in desert?

Well, one third of it is

Regardless, FSX can look very good if you can up the settings high enough... most people just can't
Vatsim is brilliant (if your serious) i do some ATC'ing there on occasion, although not so much to late (only do Ronaldsway airport... Isle of Mann)

But to clarify, the online communitcation between pilot and controller is done with Squarkbox.

I like Flight simulators, Train simulators (feel free to call me sad) racing simulators (obviously)... Basically Simulators and FS Is "good" but its extremely demanding and only worth it if you have the time to really enjoy it.
Quote from Jertje :So just for clarification, listening and talking to the ATC is done via the in-game communications, FFInn, or Teamspeak? I have an account, got to the point where I was in a game, and in an FFInn server, but there was no chatter. Although this was perhaps because I was at Schiphol, which I guess is not as popular as I'd hoped it would be

In Game Communication is done by FSInn I think. It found my TS itself and uses it. But keep in mind that you will have to turn your Radio (yes, the one in your Plane in Flight Simulator) to the correct Frequency. Otherwise you won´t hear anything (like in Reality)

Quote from Jertje :
Edit: I do realise how terrifying it must be to request taxi/takeoff clearance or whateverfor the first time though, I look forward to it!

It may be a good Idea to check some "local" Sites. On the Vatsim Page i.e. there is a Link to a European Community and from there I came to a German / Swiss / Austria Page. And they even offer Flight Lessons for Beginners up to pros. This is really amazing.

Quote from Jertje :
Is it also a good place to have a friendly chat and meet some people though? Or is it all 'work' and no play? :>

As JamesF1 said, it´s not a good Idea to "chat" in Vatsim... as it isn´t if you sit in a real Airplane ;-)

Ah yes, I nearly forgot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4e0-CqeiuM
Quote from JamesF1 :If you want a quick route to the ban list, yes

I wasn't suggesting hogging the simulated communication lines with idle chat, just any form of in-game communication that doesn't disturb 'official' communication ;p
Anything that would be acceptable on real ATC, is acceptable on Vatsim... it's essentially a 'simulation' of ATC activities. So, I imagine stuff like this would be just about passable... maybe
Quote from Xaid0n :Hey Jertje, I'd recommed WSPilots, great community and hoplists on their servers.

At the moment they have Glacier Bay Search and Rescue hops, a round the world hoplist (never changed), and an Italy, Austria and Switzerland hoplist. www.wspilots.com << check it out

Definitely recommended!

I'm the one who brought about something like 4-5 new LFS licenses from there. DS, Vortex (has run LFS quite a bit), PSR_Diablo (LFS name, can't remember his name on WSP), and Skydiver.

If I had the time to reupload, I made a vid of the first LFS driving of them. Kids are bugging me to get on the computer now though...

I ran this skin in a couple of LOTA GTR events.....

JamesF1 gave a really good review of FSX on the first page of this thread

I'm also huge fan of FSX, but i've never really spent much time online with it (can't really see the point :shrug I only fly GA aircraft on VFR so the offline ATC is good enough for me, although i've ditched the inbuilt FSX atc in favour of VOXatc (the computor voices take some getting used to, but at least you speak to them and don't just press numbers. Plus it tends to be far more realistic than the stock FSX atc in terms of the correct terminology used.

I've also got a copy of 1946 lying around somewhere (not on the HD though) Again i've never really tried it online, it's so damn hard to hit anything without getting hit myself when playing offline, so i always thought it would be a waste of time jumping into a server (plus i hate TS with a passion)
i wan't FSX
Quote from mrodgers :If I had the time to reupload, I made a vid of the first LFS driving of them. Kids are bugging me to get on the computer now though...

.... and it's actually still uploaded at the WSP website. Here's a vid of a couple of flight sim pilots trying to drive Keep in mind, this was the first time I had ever attempted to create a movie from LFS. The vid itself is a bit boring. I did it for the comic qualities of their first attempts at racing......

http://www.wspilots.com/videos/WSPilots_LFS.wmv
Mike, I bet that was a first, You being the best driver in a server.
Ha, cool skin rogers, don't suppose you have it for other cars do you? I wouldn't mind using it xD, and yeah I have seen skydiver on LFS a few times, although he seems to have disappeared for the time being lol.
I just kinda skimmed through the thread, but Jertje, I'd like to go online with you sometime. I haven't got a computer right now, but a new system is arriving tomorrow and I should have FSX up and running shortly. I've only briefly mucked around with it, but even some casual soaring or something might be some fun with LFS friends. Nice suggestion
Quote from Electrik Kar :I just kinda skimmed through the thread, but Jertje, I'd like to go online with you sometime. I haven't got a computer right now, but a new system is arriving tomorrow, and I should have FSX up and running shortly after. I've only briefly mucked around with it, but even some casual soaring or something might be some fun with LFS friends. Nice suggestion

You got it, just pm me

To the vatsimmers:

I had the pleasure of connecting to and listening in on the Los Angeles ATC yesterday-night, and I was really amazed at the level of dedication and professionalism. I'm not sure if it's for me, quite frankly I may try an easy 50km flight in quiet airspace someday, but it all seems very intimidating, although it really is intriguing.

Here's a short sample of the stuff that was going on yesterday, for those wondering what this is about:
Attached files
flightsimatc.zip - 308 KB - 205 views
#41 - JJ72
actually that's pretty good! I've heard tower with much much worse accent.

The very basic requirement to fly online is to find the charts of the airports you will be flying, including all the standard departure and standard arrival procedures. (and practice your go-around procedure offline first ) If you don't know how to operate planes with fmc you can still do those VOR/vector approaches, which I actually prefer over just keying checkpoints in the fmc.
i have FSX and it's awesome,also have ACCERATION PACKAGE
Approaches?
I recently got back into flight simming with Fsx, enjoying the flights and the missions, however due to my heavy study schedule sometimes I just want some rapid action...

So what I'm basically looking for if any of you guys that are into flight sims is Approach missions, or Saved games on approaches, anything that might put me in the plane 5 minutes before landing! If they are dangerous approaches even better! I've looked a bit around but all I could find I have to pay for, and it's a bit silly since I'm sure something so simple could be found if I just knew where to look!

Any help or directions will be appreciated!
Set up a scenario into Kai Tak (VHHH) with any large-ish plane (747, A380, whatever), that'll keep you on your toes for a while
De Havilland DHC2 (or a medium prop) @ Lukla

That's a fun one
Have you searched AVSim for some Missions? I did not search for specific Missions, but they have Tons of Downloads for FS9 and FSX. Maybe you will find something over there?
#47 - 5haz
Stuck with FS2004.

Does anybody still fly FS2004 in VATSIM?
The scenery I'm making for FS9 (and probably FSX) has an interesting approach. Because of the hills, the approach starts by flying parallel to the runway then making a full turn back on yourself only about 2 miles out.

Not sure when it'll be finished, but I'm slowly getting there.

http://www.freewebs.com/lpma/
Hmm, looks like Madeira... nice airport to land at that is
Quote from Xaid0n :Hmm, looks like Madeira... nice airport to land at that is

It IS Madeira, and I love that scenery! great effort you've put into that, crashgate!

Flight Simulator X
(190 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG