The online racing simulator
Flight Simulator X
(190 posts, started )
Quote from buedi :@Dawes: Visit avsim.net. Their library is online again and there´s plenty to download (much crap as always on big sites, but always some really fine machinery).

Ooo glad I popped by this thread, thanks for the heads up *heads off to download unnecessary, awesome looking planes*
i finally decided to buy this game,i got the gold edition with the acceleration addon in it. its a good game to just play around a bit. i was wondering tho where could i find the images addon,i cant find it anywhere. if i remember correctly there was something like this. anyone knows?
if you like tomcats i would recommend "investing" in the Iris F-14 Pro. Awsome plane. And it is high fidelity.
Quote from e2mustang :. i was wondering tho where could i find the images addon,i cant find it anywhere. if i remember correctly there was something like this. anyone knows?

What exactly are you after? Can you be a little more specific...
well i thought there was a pack with upgraded pics,scenery etc,which made fsx more nice and realistic. maybe it was an other game who knows i just put up sp1 tho,and its really nice with dx10
Waste of...
Quote from e2mustang :i finally decided to buy this game,i got the gold edition with the acceleration addon in it. its a good game to just play around a bit. i was wondering tho where could i find the images addon,i cant find it anywhere. if i remember correctly there was something like this. anyone knows?

There are hundreds of Gigabytes of Add Ons out there for FSX (Payware and Freeware). A good point to get started is Avsim.

But be careful... you can easily spend hundreds, even thousands of Euros for AddOns and Hardware if you take it serious. But there are also some very good Gems out there which are Freeware.

If you are into Carrier Ops and are fed up with the Default FSX Carriers maybe Javier Fernandez USS Nimitz is something for you. There is also an improvement for the Hornet HUD... and if you need a Trainer, there´s a free T-45 Gosshawk available at AVSim too.

You can extend your Sim experience by joining a VA on vatsim.net, livedispatch.org or one of the Virtual Airlines operating by using the VAfinancials Software. There are endless possibilities...

Edit: And don´t forget to explore the world. Currently I spend a lot of time flying Bush style at very small Airports spread all over the world. There´s the whole world to explore!
Quote from buedi :infos

thanks for the infos! atm im just getting into the sim,sometimes takes 5 min just to start engines with the million buttons,but now i explored crtl+e :P

Quote from SilverArrows77 :site

to me it looks just like a fsx addon
This is an excellent sim. My best flight ever was in a boeing 737 from Jamaica to barbados.
I suggest starting with the cessna.
Quote from jrd.racer :This is an excellent sim. My best flight ever was in a boeing 737 from Jamaica to barbados.
I suggest starting with the cessna.

Miami to Nassau was pretty interesting(especially in a storm!). I mainly fly the A321 though.
Quote from SidiousX :Miami to Nassau was pretty interesting(especially in a storm!). I mainly fly the A321 though.

Cool.
If you like 'low and slow' flying in the best payware scenery available to man be sure to check out ORBX' FTX range http://fullterrain.com/index.html

It's in a completely different class to anything else available. I've stopped buying anything that isn't ORBX.

Currently limited to Australia, but the Pacific Northwest (US/CAN) should be released soon.

Their scenery is the best looking and the best performing stuff on the market, and the company are superb...top quality support if needed, and they are always updating their old scenery's as they discover new techniques.

For more good addons (payware) including my favorite planes check out this thread http://www.lastplace-racing.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=534
maybe il install the old flight sim later
if you like high fidelity you can't get any better than the dodosim bell 206. It is ****ing awsome. You can completely kill the chopper and you have to do a proper start up or else you either blow the engine or break the main transmission
Quote from Luke.S :if you like high fidelity you can't get any better than the dodosim bell 206. It is ****ing awsome.

Indeed..it's the king of the eggbeaters for FSX. It's always my bird of choice when exploring any new scenery i purchase.

The planes i rate just as highly are the A2A Piper Cub (with the accusim addon) and Digital Aviation's Dornier DO-27. Realair's Spitfires are pretty damn good too.

Treat them all well or your in for a brown trouser moment
-
(Luke.S) DELETED by Luke.S
btw you should check out that huge hole in greenland. The cub is basically shaking it self apart if you go nose down. The hole goes through into the mantle (well at how deep the mantle is)
Although VATSIM might seem to have a steep entry level and might also seem boring to some at first (like me... I never understood the fun of it), once you get at least a bit familiar with the standard procedures of flight traffic, it really isn't that hard at all. In fact, it multiplies the whole experience!

Once you've finished your very first full procedure from requesting clearance till being en route to your destination, you feel great. Because you're dealing with real people both in the other aircraft as well as in the towers, using real world procedures. It isn't THAT virtual anymore...

The basic procedure for a flight on VATSIM would be like this:
  • Plan a flight from airport to airport through one of the various flight sim route planner websites.
  • Submit it online or through the VATSIM UI in FSX.
  • Request IFR/VFR clearance from the tower through the radio (ask them if it's okay to fly according to that flight plan)
  • Once clearance is given and your plane is ready to taxi, request taxi clearance
  • Taxi to the given runway, wait just before it
  • Request take off clearance
  • Take-off and fly according to given instructions
  • Fly according to your flight plan and keep your radio on the general frequency in order to communicate with the rest of the pilots flying around
  • When approaching the airport you want to land at, contact the tower and tell them where you're at. They'll give you an approach route, the runway to land on and more info.
  • Once landed, request taxi to the gates or parking area
  • Taxi there and prepare for your next flight or shut the aircraft off.

Note: VFR means Visual Flight Rules, meaning that you'll fly by looking out the window and navigate to your destination accordingly. It's used mainly for smaller aircraft like Cessna's.
IFR means Instrument Flight Rules, meaning that you'll mainly use your instruments and the route from your flight plan to navigate to your destinations. Used for bigger planes like jets.

In this example I'm assuming there's only 1 traffic controller per tower but at busy airports you'll often find more than 1 per tower (Ground/Departure/Approach) or on less busy airports you'll almost always find none.
When there's no ATC, just stay in touch with the other pilots and let them know what you do to avoid collissions.

FSX' built-in automatic ATC helps alot to learn how to communicate using ATC. And learn the Phonetic Alphabet (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, etc.)
I must grab some charts and get myself back into controlling on vatsim. Its been a while!
Been wanting to try VATSIM, but at my old age, I'm not into the chatting on a microphone in games. That and the few times I've jumped on Teamspeak talking to some of the guys I fly with, Wifey has made fun of me, LOL.

Don't know about the VATSIM, but my experience with horrible sound quality from Teamspeak and Ventrillo causes me to think it would be too much of a hassle to try to understand what ATC was telling me. I've done informal ATC on the servers I fly at through Teamspeak and gave up trying to figure out what everyone else is saying.

I've been signed up at VATSIM for around 5 years and have never gone online. Maybe next weekend when I have some time I'll join in just to observe. I think you can do that.
I've been signed up to VATSIM and IVAO for a few years, and have only been on it once for a flight.

Most of the ATC controllers are more than happy to help you out if you're in a pickle, just don't ask obvious questions. It is quite daunting to a novice flyer (in terms of ATC use) but it is rewarding (personally and in real life).

Informal ATC sessions are way more fun though , Wspilots flying from KSEA to KMIA with 7-8 pilots is awesome
perhaps once i get into the swing of things again we can all get together on Vatsim for a bit, I'll jump on ronaldsway tower and would be happy to give a helping hand to anybody that needs it.
Quote from Xaid0n :Informal ATC sessions are way more fun though , Wspilots flying from KSEA to KMIA with 7-8 pilots is awesome

Especially when Punch has 4 planes converging at the runway at the same time

Last time I flew ATC on WSPilots I was on dialup so had to transmit everything via the chat. Control barks off to me where the hell was I going miles and miles off course when I was only following his directions when he forgot about me, LOL.
lol ye punch was a laugh My favourite moment on one of our ATC sessions was James (EZY1339) circling me round heathrow to let everyone else land before me, quite annoyed I was

Flight Simulator X
(190 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG