The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
SRF is so great. Gonna try to do my best in 13th week series.
Quote from TV[cz] :Race Control

- Added a rule to penalize people who stay within another car while in a non-collidable state to get artificially improved drafting.

Non collidable state?! This sounds so much like a border line situation. Why so worried about this when lapped cars are allowed to interfere with the race of cars on the leading lap?
Quote from NightShift :Non collidable state?! This sounds so much like a border line situation. Why so worried about this when lapped cars are allowed to interfere with the race of cars on the leading lap?

My only guess would be that people were doing this at Daytona/Talladega after pit stops to get some kind of advantage. I'm not sure where else you'd be able to stay on top of each other for that long.
What is non-collidable? I do understand the words, I just have trouble puting them into context.

Is that when you drive through another car in the pits?
I don't know exactly what it means, but I might know an example.

In the trucks there were two trucks that when bumpdrafting, the second truck would be halfway into the back of the other truck. The trucks were not actually touching though (no feel through wheel or anything), but the speed advantage was huge. This was at Daytona.

And about Multi-class stuff: One thing to check off the list for a good improvement, now on to driver swaps.
The release notes look good. I'm most curious about the live axle part...how do you screw up the torque distribution of a locked rear axle...? Or rather, what can you change about it?

Also....THEYRE FIXING THE MAZDA WOOOOOOOOOO

They ruined that car so much with the last big change they did. Used to be one of my favorite cars in the sim, and right now it is near undrivable. Maybe you'll actually be able to catch slides again!?

Also the fuel part is huge. Probably an oversight from beta...like someone quickly implemented the weight of gas and they never went back to actually place it where its supposed to be.

Quote from UncleBenny :My only guess would be that people were doing this at Daytona/Talladega after pit stops to get some kind of advantage. I'm not sure where else you'd be able to stay on top of each other for that long.

I once drove half a lap at road atlanta with 2 other cars inside mine. It was awesome. We were going rather slowly lol, about half speed.
Quote from Joris :What is non-collidable? I do understand the words, I just have trouble puting them into context.

Non collidable means you cant bump into the other car, so just like a ghost car you will just pass through it.

The anti cheat measures may be a bit lapse, as i see it you can get nine seconds of ultimate slipstream before being punished. Not sure if you can repeat this over & over?
Other than that its coming along bit by bit, the advanced damage model will be interesting to see when its ready.
Quote from anttt69 :The anti cheat measures may be a bit lapse, as i see it you can get nine seconds of ultimate slipstream before being punished. Not sure if you can repeat this over & over?

It only works coming out of the pit since everyone's cars are ghosts in the pit stalls. If you leave at the same time and are inside each other, then you can stay like that as long as you want until you separate and then your cars go back to normal. In order to do it over and over you'd have to pit every time.
Quote from UncleBenny :It only works coming out of the pit since everyone's cars are ghosts in the pit stalls. If you leave at the same time and are inside each other, then you can stay like that as long as you want until you separate and then your cars go back to normal. In order to do it over and over you'd have to pit every time.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm sure it was done through lag as well. At least the experience I know of was like that.
I'm kinda bummed that the Radical is being paired with the DP. I was looking forward to running a partial Radical season in addition to the Skip Barber but now that I have to buy the DP I don't think I will. I've already invested 130 bucks in this season...
Quote from TexasLTU :SRF is so great. Gonna try to do my best in 13th week series.

Same here I think i will just un practice sessions the first few days becouse i haven't racer the spec racer before.

The star mazda could also be fun in the masters of formula thingy.
Quote from MadCat360 :I'm kinda bummed that the Radical is being paired with the DP. I was looking forward to running a partial Radical season in addition to the Skip Barber but now that I have to buy the DP I don't think I will. I've already invested 130 bucks in this season...

I don't think you'll need to buy it. They should have new feature, which will allow you to download that car, but you will not able to drive it, until you buy it.

Just guessing though + heard it somewhere.. it's uncertain, but it would be fairest way, otherwise the series will have massive drop in participation.
Quote from UncleBenny :It only works coming out of the pit since everyone's cars are ghosts in the pit stalls.

I wonder why they don't just handle the cars normally when in the pits. If drivers will try their best to avoid accidents on the track, why not in the pit lane/stalls?
Quote from NightShift :I wonder why they don't just handle the cars normally when in the pits. If drivers will try their best to avoid accidents on the track, why not in the pit lane/stalls?

It is a simulation after all!
Quote from Kid222 :I don't think you'll need to buy it. They should have new feature, which will allow you to download that car, but you will not able to drive it, until you buy it.

Just guessing though + heard it somewhere.. it's uncertain, but it would be fairest way, otherwise the series will have massive drop in participation.

Why would they say otherwise in the release notes then?
Quote from bbman :Why would they say otherwise in the release notes then?

Let me bang my head to the wall then.
Quote from NightShift :I wonder why they don't just handle the cars normally when in the pits. If drivers will try their best to avoid accidents on the track, why not in the pit lane/stalls?

Because you have cars going this way and that and in video games you have enormous blind spots.

As realistic as a simulation of this day and age can be, no one can get around the fact that you have nearly zero depth perception and less than a quarter of your normal viewing angle. You also don't have an intelligent crew chief telling you when its safe.
Quote from GFresh :Thanks. I have done just that, so i'll wait to see if they get back to me with anything

Just to follow this renewal promotions thing up, in case anyone else was curious...

Quote :
Hi Kelvin,

I don't think one is scheduled for the near future, unfortunately. They tend to do them randomly throughout the year and allow everyone to add whatever amount of time is being offered when they do it.

Regards,

Tim Wheatley

iRacing.com

The next generation of racing is here...

Boo

I guess the main reason is that cars can spawn in the pitlane when someone enters the sim or is "towed" to the pits.
Quote from GFresh :Just to follow this renewal promotions thing up, in case anyone else was curious... Boo

I wouldn't have expected anything different but thanks for keeping us posted.

Quote from Joris :I guess the main reason is that cars can spawn in the pitlane when someone enters the sim or is "towed" to the pits.

Unless there's some subtle aspect that I'm overlooking, it shouldn't be too hard to avoid two cars from spawning/being towed in/to the same place. It's more difficult to prevent a car from pitting in the spot where another one's going to spawn (which is a problem in LFS, it doesn't even check if there's a car already parked).

But it is a rather minor problem, especially when there are many pit stalls and little cars in the field - and it is a bit disconcerting to see cars pass through you in the pit lane
just got my code for the $6 rebate on philip island and the v8
main problem in the pits without ghost cars would be if you were attempting to enter / leave your pit box and another car spawned in your path at last second. also american pit boxes appear to have less space between them that what eyropeans are used to seeing and without a crew chief to warn you i could see a lot of messy accidents. maybe the ideal would be to allow hosted sessions to switch the ghost car off and see how well it worked.
I'm sort of excited about a build for the first time in a while. Mixed class @ Lime Rock is going to be a blast. Split times should be nice. Still no seat adjustment...
funny i'm really looking forward to this update, not sure why possibly just because i'm finally beginning to feel fit enough to consider doing races.

re ghost cars, should have added that because most US circuits use the "working over the pit wall" type of pit lane there wasn't the option for iracing to follow LFS, netkar, rfactor etc and have cars spawn in a pit garage. imagine what LFS would be like if people spawned in the pit lane rather than in the garages, it's bad enough now when you get people who don't look before pulling out.

if everyone in iracing spawned in the pit garages then, apart from circuits like brands etc, it would be a bloody long drive from the paddock to get onto the track, so rather than have a split system with some circuits spawning in garages and others in the actual pit boxes, they took the decision for us all to be in the pit boxes and as such ghost cars are probably needed. however as i said, i would be interested to see the results if there was a hosted option to do away with the ghost cars.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG