The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Solstice + Limerock is pure enjoyment , Its the most compelling and exhilarating experience I've ever had on a computer simulation/game.

I'm no petrol head but there is something fundamentally right going on with this combo, Its like 1998 with GPL all over again ...but much better.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I hear what you're saying about inertia I just don't see how they could mess up something that obvious. The C6R really isn't a heavy car; it weights less then my Hyundai Elantra by a fair amount (!). Seems reasonable to me that a car lighter than my compact with super fat slicks would act like it's on rails and have a lot of mechanical grip alone, nevermind adding some downforce to it. It's not just the car's inertia that matters, really it's the ability of the car to overcome it's own inertia... Racing vehicles are designed to do that as top priority right?

I agree that the solstice and skippy are extremely convincing. Therefore I would say the problem (if there really is one, I'm not convinced there is either way at this point) probably has to do with downforce & load sensitivity (really just the latter). You don't seem to have any beef with non downforce cars... how do you feel in the Lotus and/or the DP?

Yeah you could be right about it solely being down to the tyres. I was listing to the opinion nation last night, and Dave Kaemmer was explaining about a new tyre model which was not so reliant on limited data which would only work well under non extreme conditions, but rather is completely new and able to give convincing results under many different extreme states for which tyres aren't normally tested. Sounded very much like the approach Scawen posted he was taking with the model he is working on now.

I keep saying inertia purely because that's how it feels. If it's hard to get wrong then I guess we must give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they've modelled that correctly.

I like the Lotus quite a lot actually, it's a little more controllable on the limit than the Mazda and IndyCar, but I didn't race it last season due to not having most of the tracks. The DP gets a lot of stick from everyone for being a dog to drive, but personally I don't mind giving it a thrash every now and then. I don't think it handles much like the real thing would though, you need to be sliding it about a lot to go fast, which is I think where a lot of complaints stem from.
Quote from DaveWS :
I keep saying inertia purely because that's how it feels. If it's hard to get wrong then I guess we must give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they've modelled that correctly.

So then your beef seems to be when the tires are able to provide enough force to overcome a change in direction already in progress. They are therefore too responsive under certain circumstances in your opinion.

I wonder why that is or if LFS's constant sliding around (currently) has influenced your instincts? I really can't say to be honest. I installed LFS again recently in anticipation of the new tire model being released. I had a go today with the XRT at BL1 for quite some time. I really was a bit surprized how fluffly it really is, I had to retrain myself quite a bit after driving the Solstice so much.
Are you saying that the current LFS model results in cars being a little squishy to drive? That's the impression I've been getting from most of the cars, too.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :So then your beef seems to be when the tires are able to provide enough force to overcome a change in direction already in progress. They are therefore too responsive under certain circumstances in your opinion.

Yep, I think that's pretty much got the nail on the head.

Quote :I wonder why that is or if LFS's constant sliding around (currently) has influenced your instincts? I really can't say to be honest. I installed LFS again recently in anticipation of the new tire model being released. I had a go today with the XRT at BL1 for quite some time. I really was a bit surprized how fluffly it really is, I had to retrain myself quite a bit after driving the Solstice so much.

I don't think so, because I'm definately of the opinion that the tyre model in LFS is far from perfect. TBH it's almost the opposite extreme to iRacing compared to reality IMO. In LFS the fastest way to drive is to set the attitude of the car up into a ~10+ degree slide depending on what car you are in, and carry that throughout the corner. A lot of times it is also faster to get the car very sideways on entry, and the tyres will always give you as much grip as you need, when they should be struggling under excess load. I want to be punished for untidy / bad driving, the quickest way through a corner should be to get the tyres all working together as evenly as possible, but at the same time be able to rescue the car if things get out of shape, albeit with considerable laptime lost. I have a feeling *cough* that the new LFS tyres will be a major major step forward though.
Ok Mr. Beta tester...

Quote from DaveWS :A lot of times it is also faster to get the car very sideways on entry, and the tyres will always give you as much grip as you need, when they should be struggling under excess load.

The only time I've noticed this is in cars like the LX6 at sharp, over-90-degree corners, where it can pay off to flick the car to point the other way, put the power down and wait for the tyres to catch up. But I thought that maybe wasn't so unrealistic, since it's an old 1950s/'60s F1 technique.
will read more later when I have time...just skimmed it

The throttle is really unlinear in iracing atm. The majority of the power is applied in the last 10% of the pedal travel. Half throttle on the green bar is no where near half throttle in real life...it makes throttle under braking look terribly unrealistic and goofy, but in reality the power output is very little.

The throttle is also just used to negate engine braking, you aren't actually accelerating forward if you do it properly.

It was just debated before, and then verified in the Kaemmer interview that happened last night.
Quote from MAGGOT :Are you saying that the current LFS model results in cars being a little squishy to drive?

Squishy, fluffy, floaty.

Interesting discussion about the Corvette weight, as I've always felt the GTRs in LFS feel way too heavy, like lumbering barges.
Quote from Mattesa :Squishy, fluffy, floaty.

Interesting discussion about the Corvette weight, as I've always felt the GTRs in LFS feel way too heavy, like lumbering barges.

I've thought the same, but thought that may be to the squishiness. I always thought they were heavy-ish cars, didn't realise how "light" they were by comparison.
I just went through iRacing's faq page and read that they are offering a commercial offline version. Has anyone looked into this and what they mean by "commercial"? Seeing as you have to contact somebody to get it I'm wondering if it's available to the general public, then again "commercial version" doesn't really imply that.

http://www.iracing.com/membership/faqs-2/

EDIT: nvm, I asked and it's a tradeshow version for companies that can justify offline use

Would still be nice to pose as a company and get that version though

... one of these days
i get this message
Internal Server Error

cant log in
They have some maintenance going, it was announced earlier that they didn't expect outages, but you never know...
Not so happy about the down time the sim experiences, this is the third time in 2 weeks, and TBO not a great fan of the web based structure for starting the sim, very clunky and slow,I seem to spend so much time just waiting for the web page to refresh.
Quote from JohnPenn :Not so happy about the down time the sim experiences, this is the third time in 2 weeks, and TBO not a great fan of the web based structure for starting the sim, very clunky and slow,I seem to spend so much time just waiting for the web page to refresh.

oooh, Juan Penn.. you have da iRacing too
Quote from JohnPenn :Not so happy about the down time the sim experiences, this is the third time in 2 weeks, and TBO not a great fan of the web based structure for starting the sim, very clunky and slow,I seem to spend so much time just waiting for the web page to refresh.

I couldn't agree more, i hate the way you must load the web page before you can use the software. It's such a complex front page it can take a while too.
There was some issue with US servers, australian servers worked fine but obviously it was quite an experience driving Dallara around Indianapolis with 500ms delay in an open practise session.

One thing to consider is that the maintenances are done on US schedule, which unfortunately can interfere with EU primetime.
Quote from Crommi :There was some issue with US servers, australian servers worked fine but obviously it was quite an experience driving Dallara around Indianapolis with 500ms delay in an open practise session.

I was there too... I don't mind Aussie servers to be honest. Hope the error is fixed soon though. Was hoping to do a Mazda race

Oh John Penn got iRacing too? nice !
i though it was you when i saw your name on a host once.
and ye the downtime is... :S but i wasnt planning to do a race today anyway
Quote from StableX :I was there too... I don't mind Aussie servers to be honest. Hope the error is fixed soon though. Was hoping to do a Mazda race

Ah, thought the name looked familiar
I was having my first testing session with race trim, but unfortunately server went down before I could finish it. Indianapolis is quite interesting track with a car like Dallara, it goes so fast that you can really get different feel to each corner. On T1 I have to lift, on T2 it seems to help turning early, T3 I tend to push wide and T4 has nasty exit where track camber changes quickly and got some nasty wiggles.
Quote from Crommi :Ah, thought the name looked familiar
I was having my first testing session with race trim, but unfortunately server went down before I could finish it. Indianapolis is quite interesting track with a car like Dallara, it goes so fast that you can really get different feel to each corner. On T1 I have to lift, on T2 it seems to help turning early, T3 I tend to push wide and T4 has nasty exit where track camber changes quickly and got some nasty wiggles.

yeah, I'm lifting slightly for T1 and turning a little earlier than I think I should. I also find if I'm aggressive in T1 and T2, the rear right tyre goes off so fast!
First race in Dallara and it was going very well until I clipped the curb on T3 and managed to save it from spinning but at that point car had already slid too high and hit the wall. From what I can tell, fuel strategy is very important, early on you should take the oppoturnity to come in under yellows and keep filling it up. I set up 6th gear for drafting and fuel conservation and it worked out very well.

On a related note, weight jacker is great tool to have in oval racing as long as you realise that ONE CLICK is enough. On practice I tested if it had any difference and dialed in +5.0. Come next corner and I'm sideways into wall after big oversteer moment.
If you're on back of a pack and suffering from understeer that's starting to eat your front tires, just adding one click will make a big difference and car should turn beatifully again. For race starts and fresh tires I reduce it by one click to counter the oversteer you get with cold tires.
WTF iRacing, I wanted to run the 9:45 Impala B race but once again the site is down.
Yep, It got me while sending a pm
Guess this means its time to fire up LFS, my old pal that has never let me down.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG