The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from AndroidXP :I'm sure a few of them are beta testers, but they obviously can't tell you about it

If I were beta testing it, I prolly wouldn't volunteer the fact.. but the NDA couldn't legally obligate you to lie. It would be a conflict in law, and therefore an NDA worth diddly, legally. So it's down to just saying nothing at all.
Quote from W1ldPort75 : i´m asking a simple question if any of them played it yet .

Yes is the answer, and it doesn't take a genius to work out who.
Quote from The Moose :Yes is the answer, and it doesn't take a genius to work out who.

...or does dan just WANT us to think he is...?

It's annoying that usually even the date the NDA expires is under said NDA Just gotta wait.
I would imagine the NDA prohibits any beta tester from divulging specfic information about iRacing, and it's system, also, it would probably prohibit those under it from divulging that they are indeed beta testing it.

Damn, maybe I should be a politician
Quote from danowat : it would probably prohibit those under it from divulging that they are indeed beta testing it.

There's no probably about it
Quote from three_jump :Next even more realistic step would be that you would have to pay with real money for car parts (new tires) etc...
(Taking the whole realism thing to the really next level... har har)

dont give them any ideas
Quote from Shotglass :dont give them any ideas

Every time a player crashes a car in game, he has to pay real life money for repairs. Would certainly get rid of the wreckers.
-
(Zachary Zoomy) DELETED by Zachary Zoomy : l
Quote from three_jump :Next even more realistic step would be that you would have to pay with real money for car parts (new tires) etc...
(Taking the whole realism thing to the really next level... har har)

And fuel - at realistic prices that follow real life ones. Fun, fun, fun.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Unsure of how to interpret that...

Take it as the compliment that its meant to be!

Quote from axus :I don't think they're asking all that much. None of us like paying but it's all a matter of whether you are willing to cough up the extra dough for something that covers everything you ever wanted from sim racing or you prefer to wait while the cheaper products pay catch up, which could take 3 or 4 years.

The either/or construction of that argument is a veil, illusion parading as common sense. But, while there is also the option of getting what you want for the right price (as well as many other options), ultimately you are right to say that people will pay whatever they believe it is worth. Because value is all about belief.

Hence, the marketing for this product has emphasised the amount of time, the amount of labour put into to it. They want you to understand it as a premium product worth a premium price. A free demo would open that intricately constructed image to the subjectivity of the user. So a free demo is not available. It stinks of control, and I know for sure that if we pay the price now, it simply sets a price for future incarnations and has the knock-on effect of reducing diversity (look at the housing market in the UK for lessons on how belief pushes prices way beyond any practical value)

Am i being cynical? Possibly. I don't know. But I do know that as a casual sim racer there is no value for me in this kind of structure. $20 for setting up my controls and doing a few laps to a) find out how well my computer copes graphically and b) find my braking points on an unfamiliar circuit. No thanks...
There's a bunch of people here that disagree with the subscription pricing, but what are the alternatives? How much do you think the game should cost if it were not subscription-based?

$50? $100? $200? How much would you pay for iRacing?

Finally, how much did you pay for your most recent steering wheel? How many wheels have you had over the course of your LFS career?

I'm not saying I agree with the pricing structure. But many people have no issues paying $250 for a G25 but I seriously doubt many people would pay $250 for any sim racing game.
Quote from Technique :There's a bunch of people here that disagree with the subscription pricing, but what are the alternatives? How much do you think the game should cost if it were not subscription-based?

$50? $100? $200? How much would you pay for iRacing?

Finally, how much did you pay for your most recent steering wheel? How many wheels have you had over the course of your LFS career?

I'm not saying I agree with the pricing structure. But many people have no issues paying $250 for a G25 but I seriously doubt many people would pay $250 for any sim racing game.

If it was great I'd pay $100 for it. Without hesitation. I would have paid $75 or so for each S of LFS.

But to charge me $20 to see if its good, another $130 for the rest of the year, large chunks for various other bits, and to never own it is absurd in my opinion.
As said before: I don't buy a game without having a proper FREE demo to test before.

Apart from that, with wheel you have the problem that usually cheap wheels last around 4 month till the fall apart. But you can buy buggy software on all price ranges.

About the price thingy: I would have no problem if iRacing was 100€ (if they cut the subscription) and actually (still to be proven) worth the buy. But with the subscription comes the problem you pay every time, it's like renting it, and you can't predict where iRacing is heading to after 6 month... (worst case)
Quote from srdsprinter :If it was great I'd pay $100 for it. Without hesitation. I would have paid $75 or so for each S of LFS.

But to charge me $20 to see if its good, another $130 for the rest of the year, large chunks for various other bits, and to never own it is absurd in my opinion.

$100 seems to be that magical price - anything over $100 is viewed as unreasonable and I think that's the problem with PC games. The Logitech G25 and iRacing are both targeting the sim market - yet one is hardware the other is software. I have no idea which one cost more to develop, but I know which one has more value to me.

How many people would spend more than $100 to buy iRacing?
How many people wouldn't mind paying $12/month?

The bet the second option is much more attractive to most people even if they absolutely loathe the idea of renting a game.
Quote from Technique :
How many people would spend more* than $100 to buy iRacing?

The bet the second option is much more attractive to most people even if they absolutely loathe the idea of renting a game.

And I say people who prefer option #2 are stupid (on the base of having the choice and a decent game)

*I'm ignoring the more here
I would agree to pay $40-$50 for the "engine" (and all subsequent patches, naturally) and $10 or so per car/track (again, that includes all future updates, if there are any). For about $100 I would have months worth of gameplay (Formula Mazda + Laguna Seca + Watkins Glen + 2 random cars/tracks). But they would have to be mine forever, none of that subscription business.

EDIT: actually, if I found out the cars and tracks were THAT good, I could probably pay $20-25 for them. But I would like to own content.
Quote from Technique :How many people would spend more than $100 to buy iRacing?

I'd happily pay $100+ for it if i actually got to own a bit of software. Something i could use offline, and use online how i wanted too, not having every aspect of my sim racing fun controlled by the developers.
I like serious racing and well organised competition some of the time, that's why i love racing in the GPC netKar pro league, but you need a bit of light relief to balance it out. That seems to be missing with iRacing from what i read in ASS.

Having just read the ASS article and realising there wont even be provision for private leagues to begin with, I'm even less impressed.

Other sims will appear in the future with equally decent physics and without the gimmick of laser scanned tracks, which is where all the money is going.
I'm all for fairly accurate tracks, don't get me wrong, but that level of detail isn't worth the price you have to pay for it. Especially when you don't even get to own it.
Uh, i recall reading that private leagues will be supported?
Quote from Bumpdrafter :Uh, i recall reading that private leagues will be supported?

IIRC, it was *may*, and AFAIK definitely not immediately.
I drive mostly offline in LFS, a habit I've found hard to break. But being forced to go online with iRacing would probably force a different kind of mentality for me, and that would probably be worth getting used to.

Similarly, for LFS, I would much prefer if each track had its own set time of day and weather conditions which was upheld across the board. I know some people don't want that (due to only being able to race at certain times of the day)- but I like the idea as it just cements things a bit more in reality.

Whether i'd pay for iRacing will depend mostly on what other people are saying about it, and then I'd really need to weigh it up. That's how you buy most things in the world- it's common to test demo software before you buy yet not all software allows you to do that. Admittedly, iRacing is very expensive. I'm not looking forward to telling my girlfriend about it when it comes out.
Quote from three_jump :*I'm ignoring the more here

That's the problem. If they're charging ~$125 to rent the game for a year, I'd imagine they would charge even more to "own" the game either to cover their costs or because they're an evil money grubbing company.

As I said before, $100 seems reasonable but anything more than $100 and no one except moose is going to buy it.
I have to say, if it was a 100% finished/polished SIM that i was very happy with, didn't look like a cartoon, had no bugs, had as much or more content than the Gran Turismo series, and had no stupid rFactor-like diluted mod scene, then i would happily pay hundreds of pounds to own it tbh.
Perhaps i would even consider venturing into the four figure bracket...
Quote from GFresh :I have to say, if it was a 100% finished/polished SIM that i was very happy with, didn't look like a cartoon, had no bugs, had as much or more content than the Gran Turismo series, and had no stupid rFactor-like diluted mod scene, then i would happily pay hundreds of pounds to own it tbh.
Perhaps i would even consider venturing into the four figure bracket...

Even if it had no online multiplayer mode? With a $500 price tag, you're not going to have a community to race against!
Quote from Technique :How many people would spend more than $100 to buy iRacing?

so if 100$ is too much... have you tried calculating how much youd have paid in the ~4 years youve been playing lfs with the iracing subscription prices?
Quote from Shotglass :so if 100$ is too much... have you tried calculating how much youd have paid in the ~4 years youve been playing lfs with the iracing subscription prices?

People are more accepting of paying a little amount of money over a long time than paying alot up front. It's as simple as that!

I'm not trying to defend them, I'd much rather own the dang game.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG