The online racing simulator
the new renault is almost a low nose (or is it just wings become too high nowadays.)
The keel of an F1 car is where the front suspension mounts to the chassis. The standard for many years was the V-keel and was used by all the top teams. A V-keel allows for easier and wider adjustability of suspension settings, at the expense of less efficient airflow underneath the car.

In 2001 Sauber introduced the twin-keel design, which replaced a single large keel in the center with two smaller ones on each side. This allowed air to move more freely to the floor and is generally more aeodynamically efficient, so it was favored by designers who favored aero efficiency over mechanical adaptability. Every year the design evolved and the twin keels got smaller and smaller, until eventually designers tried mounting the suspension directly to the chassis and eliminating the keels altogether. This is what we call 'zero-keel'.

In 2006 Ferrari and Renault both ran the older, more adaptable V-keel. Mclaren with Adrian Newey the aerodynamicist used a zero-keel layout. So did Toyota and Mike Gascoyne, among others. In 2007 when Rory Byrne left, Ferrari switched to a zero-keel. Renault was the only big team to stick with the old V-keel.

I haven't heard anything about whether the 2008 Renault is still a V-keel design. It seems clear that the trend is toward zero-keel because of the increased importance of aerodynamics in modern F1 design. With control tires and frozen engines, aero seems to now be the biggest area of improvement.

Come 2009 and the new aero regs, every car on the grid will most likely be zero-keel. This will probably be the final year of V-keel designs, so if Renault are sticking with it, it will be interesting to see how well they do.

EDIT: Ninja'd.
Quote from Lateralus :EDIT: Ninja'd.

Plus, I already had stated that I'd looked it up before all those nice explanations came hurtling at me.

Thx nonetheless!

And just to confirm: According to motorsport-total.com the R28 is on Zero-keel. And here's a picture that shows it.

btw, anybody else think it's a bad sign that Renault wasn't even able to supply alonso with a racing suit in his size?
Quote from Linsen :
btw, anybody else think it's a bad sign that Renault wasn't even able to supply alonso with a racing suit in his size?

ROFL! And hasn't flavio got little dainty feet
LOL

Hey I found these pictures in a news website.

Seems to be the new Williams painting. These pictures were at the Williams clothing sponsor's website (wich I didn't find to prove lol). Looks like it's the FW29 yet, but it's a lot more blueish and there are new sponsors
I wonder if they have to shave their faces being sponsored by Phillips Shavers and all... Otherwise Button is leading quite a big following of bums
I prefer the Full dark blue skin Williams have now in testing..
*shrug* why are you arguing over why some F1 drivers have a map of the circuit min the car on some sessions over? Does it matter? Why not argue over something that matters, like why F1 cars are faster when you paint them yet in pre-season testing are frequently seen just in naked carbon fibre trim.

Surely the testing results are therefor inconclusive? Is it money saving, does an F1 team really hinder results in testing just to save money? Or does it only really make a difference to testing results when putting the parts in the wind tunnel.

Surely it makes sense to do all your testing with painted parts, even if its just plain paint?
We stopped that discussion days ago.

The bare carbon cars are still laquered, so there is no drag penalty involved with no livery. In fact, painting the cars adds mass, and raises the CoG (albeit only slightly) so would actually slow them down.

Who says painted cars are faster anyway?
Quote from Becky Rose :*shrug* why are you arguing over why some F1 drivers have a map of the circuit min the car on some sessions over? Does it matter? Why not argue over something that matters, like why F1 cars are faster when you paint them yet in pre-season testing are frequently seen just in naked carbon fibre trim.

Surely the testing results are therefor inconclusive? Is it money saving, does an F1 team really hinder results in testing just to save money? Or does it only really make a difference to testing results when putting the parts in the wind tunnel.

Surely it makes sense to do all your testing with painted parts, even if its just plain paint?

We wont really get to see a real indication of this years cars pontential untill Q2 of Melbourne..
Up until now the main focus would have been stability and reliability, now they are all rushing to get the most out of their chassis before the first Grand Prix. Remember when Honda were meant to challenge for the championship based on their winter testing? As Mustafur said, we won't really know who is the fastest until the first qualifying sessions. At least they have got rid of the fuel burn in Q3 now, so at least that should be better to watch.

EDIT: Got to love the crazy stuff you see in pre-season testing...I swear I have seen something just like that on an old school F1 car, might have dreamt it (nightmare).
Attached images
XPB_0NKSOW000KUBNL0HKOGLD-3.jpg
XPB_0QS0NWG0IQ1SW00LYNY0W-3.jpg
XPB_0X7JO1S0H09MO1038FPTT-3.jpg
That RB4 looks horrible, if i want to see pictures of sharks i can open my photoalbum of South Africa and look at the pictures of great whites playing catch with sealpuppies.
I hope it turns out slower than a conventional design so they drop it soon, or the FIA quickly invents a new rule and forbids such hideous enginecovers. ( would be unfair to RB ,but it's their own fault for designing something like that)

Next thing we know they'll attach sharkfins to the top of the drivers helmets to make it more aerodynamically in tune with the rest of the car. ( even if I'd love to see Coulthy pose for a Pr-photo like that )
It's from ye olde McLaren.

Didn't work back then, won't work now, I guess.
For some reason i like it, makes the car look radical..

Its testing times were not that fast though so i guess it will be dropped..
I personally love the side pods of the old jordans yum yum.
Quote from MR_B :I personally love the side pods of the old jordans yum yum.

I know , back then the cars looked way better.
probably not very safe if the car rolls over and that broken fin becomes a flying blade.
Quote from Becky Rose :*shrug* why are you arguing over why some F1 drivers have a map of the circuit min the car on some sessions over? Does it matter? Why not argue over something that matters, like why F1 cars are faster when you paint them yet in pre-season testing are frequently seen just in naked carbon fibre trim.

How can adding paint make your car faster? Surely you are adding weight?
Drag - Yup, it's f'ing miniscule, but F1 is the sport where Ferrari etc wont use stickers and re-paint their cars for sponsors because stickers make too much drag.
How much Downforce do you need?I know that it will add more grip in the corners but come on this is a joke. 11 spoilers . Stupid !!!!!. And another thing what are the pincer things that are under the mirrors .
Quote from Yoda098 :How much Downforce do you need?I know that it will add more grip in the corners but come on this is a joke. 11 spoilers . Stupid !!!!!. And another thing what are the pincer things that are under the mirrors .

Always more. Always Always more than the opposition (with less drag too).

Flow conditioners, if you are referring to the Renault. Sidepod openings if you are referring to the Jordan.

2008 F1 car launches
(406 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG