The online racing simulator
What causes low FPS?
(25 posts, started )
What causes low FPS?
Hello folks, i have got a new laptop for my christmas and since i have had it, i have had low FPB's. Is this becuase of the graphics? or is it because there is 2 connections to my router on at the same time now? Could it be because of the weather? It is strange as one minute i will be up at 35-40 then drop to 5-10??

Thanks
John
FPB.... Now I remember LPB from back in the day, which went with HPB (Low/High Ping Bastard), but FPB is a new one..

I have the feeling you mean FPS? If so, it's very likely that it's the graphics card at fault, but without a make/model its not really possible to comment. If you did mean FPS then it's not anything to do with a router.
OK...yea sorry it is FPS lol erm...Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2310 1.46GHz and its Vista but i don't think i have a graphics card
A machine of that spec probably uses an onboard intel one, which is probably the root of the problem
That is bad yes? How can i solve it?
lol buy a graphics card
Yea i kind of figured and i know nothing about graphics cards, and i was hoping someone would give me idea of a good one, and a price range?

Please and Thanks
John
Can't, it's a laptop.

Umm, yea there isn't anything you can do, if it stays up high the only thing I can imagine that is causing it to drop is its saving power or something, and running the fan because it is getting to hot.

If that isn't it, then I have no idea.
Does your laptop have power options??

Make sure its set to the setting that gives the best performance
Ahhh actually thanks Joe hang on i never tried that it is on power saver lol 2 seconds

John
Actually my PC does this too, the rising and falling of FPS. I can't get a video card because I'm getting a new PC soon though...

It has 2GB RAM and a 3Ghz single core processor. I run with nearly all of the "eye candy" disabled, and all of the graphics settings turned way down. Yet I still only get 20 - 30 FPS. And at the starting line of a race, it goes down to under 5...which means I miss the start lights by like half a second each time

What else can be done? I also checked to see if I could overclock the CPU, but it's a Dell PC, and the BIOS is locked...
Thank you sooo much mate that has helped 100% i have 20+ FPS all the time now .

Thanks
Quote from johnfromsunnymull :Ahhh actually thanks Joe hang on i never tried that it is on power saver lol 2 seconds

John

Lol thats the exact same reason I had low FPS a few months ago - it took me 2 weeks to figure it out.

If you put it on High performance or whatever FPS should Improve

Quote from johnfromsunnymull :Thank you sooo much mate that has helped 100% i have 20+ FPS all the time now .

Thanks

No problem
-
(ussbeethoven) DELETED by ussbeethoven
Quote from JO53PHS :Lol thats the exact same reason I had low FPS a few months ago - it took me 2 weeks to figure it out.

If you put it on High performance or whatever FPS should Improve

No problem

Mate i really don't know what to say this has just improved my experiance of LFS to ++1 now i can race in a server with over 10 people woooooO!
Lol such a simple thing can make such a big difference.

Who merged my posts?
Quote from ussbeethoven :Well, if you aren't using onboard IGP or 64bit-handicapped entry card, it seems like an CPU limitation to me. I also had an SC-Pentium (3,2Ghz to be exact) and since I upgraded to a higher-clocked AMD X2 I've got both a lot better min. and max. FPS with the same gfx. I'm afraid you cannot overclock with Dell mainboards that much, but don't expect a significant improvement by running your CPU at say 3,6Ghz, as Netburst isn't an efficient architecture.

I ran CPU-Z and my CPU is fully detected there...does that mean it isn't limited? Does a video card make that much of a difference?
Erm.....actually one more thing. Can it ever get too graphical? As it seems quite jerky allthough i am up at 30 FPS? Like it isnt a long jurk it just pauses and goes again??
-
(ussbeethoven) DELETED by ussbeethoven
so yea is it possible to have it to high graphics...? Because i get kinda jerking when im up at like 35FPS??
Quote from ussbeethoven :CPU limitation means your FPS wouldn't change when using lower resolution or graphic details because the gfx is not the bottleneck then. However, if your machine is build upon an IGP (VIA Unichrome Pro, Intel GMA900) or entry gfx (6200TC, X300SE) of that time then they are likely to be the slowing factor.

I haven't got a clue what it is...It's standard on-board on a Dell Dimension...When I "Restore" the LFS window, the FPS does not change. And before I changed graphics settings, I was getting maybe 5 - 10 FPS more...So does that mean CPU limitation is the probelm?
#20 - Jakg
Open Task Manager, and click on the performance tab. Then go and play some LFS< and then go and look at the graph. If the CPU usage graph maxxed out, it means your CPU is holding you back. If not, then something else is holding you back.
OK, I made a race with 10 AI FBMs around KY3R, and I watched 1 lap. My CPU usage was hovering around 50% for the whole race, and I had firefox and visual c# open at the time (I did it again afterwards with just LFS running and it was still around 50%). My FPS was about 20 for most of the race. It was worse at the start though...

So, my CPU is not the problem...
Could it be the onboards video card maxxing out (if that happens)?
#22 - Jakg
What CPU do you have?

If you've got onboard video it's more than likely that it's the thing that's holding you back.
I have an Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz CPU, but the graphics card is on-board. I can't upgrade ATM, so I'm trying to work around it
The card is definatly the problem, is there anyway to overclock it or something?
#24 - Jakg
Nope, don't think you an overclock an integrated card.

Is the P4 a dual core?
Nah, single

I realise now the hopelessness of the situation
Thanks all for the help

What causes low FPS?
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG