The online racing simulator
This is not just a suggestion
(305 posts, closed, started )
So, don't change this thread to other section, please.

It's an alert, if you want to call it so.

Scawen my far far away friend, you are just losing space in the market.

We need some news, not news like progress report, but real new game's things, and we hope those can't be so hard to implement.

We are about to receive NK Pro, and just finish to get GT Legends...

GTL has no bugs in physics, is based on real cars and real tracks, and have so many more appeals that is becoming hard to keep playing LFS.

Scawen, Victor and Erick, my dears, why don't you open your code to helpmates around the world? I'm sure they'll help you with many things that surely take big chunks of time and you could concentrate yourselves in that is most important, that is, gain market.

We need to resolve the grip issue, and we need to resolve the downforce issue, and the countersteer. We need new tracks, and perhaps could have night races and rainy races...

We need more sounds effects, like broken glasses, body noises, and perhaps better knock sounds...

And this game is not so hardcore as it should be, considering its purpose, to be a simulator, cause, as an example, you can downshift from 6a to 3a without broke the engine.

We need news. And I know, or maybe I judge to know, that you've got a rest, but now is time to back to work, cause the concurrency is working hard.

I'm not here to say what you must to do. I just don't want to see this marvelous idea going down. One thing you won't tell, is that the customers don't warned you...
**** off!
-
(Lible) DELETED by Lible : I take my words back.
Imo
They don't need to do anything, and they owe us nothing. It's their decision when and what to do and seriously I don't see where "we're losing space"?

If you feel any temptation by GTL or any other ISI engine product then you surely don't get the spirit of LFS, and personally these games don't bother me at all, because they don't even come close physics wise. Sure, there may be some minor bugs in LFS physics which mostly don't affect handling at racing speeds, yet people scream all over the place how horrible and flawed the physics are. The only thing remotely influencing the current racing is the simple aero model, but this has been discussed to death already so I will shut up about it.

Further, I really look forward to the release of nkPro so we can finally test what all this hype is about and if it holds what it promises. From this point, nkPro looks like it's the only title which could remotely be a competition to LFS. I can still remember all that panic that arose about "OMG will rFactor be the end of LFS?". Ha, I say, what a miserable attempt it turned out to be.

Seriously, again, I don't see where all your angst about LFS comes from. Right now I see nothing that could really "endanger" LFS.

Though I have to agree that the lack of updates and devtalk is sometimes a bit frustrating, but probably because we're so used to it during the testpatch-season. Get used to it, they're also only humans.

E: And Lautsprecher, that's really not the right way to reply to such a topic. Grow up.
Quote from Speed Soro :GTL has no bugs in physics, is based on real cars and real tracks, and have so many more appeals that is becoming hard to keep playing LFS.

Surely thats a matter of opinion? I'd still rather play LFS than nK, GTL, GTR, etc.

Quote from Speed Soro :Scawen, Victor and Erick, my dears, why don't you open your code to helpmates around the world? I'm sure they'll help you with many things that surely take big chunks of time and you could concentrate yourselves in that is most important, that is, gain market.

Nice idea, large OpenSource projects do work, but only when theres more than 1 programmer behind it - LFS is not a small code base, and there is no way on earth we could get into it without some massive massive documentation or direct help from Scawen - by which time they've lost the LFS market completely. Have you ever tried diving into the OpenOffice code? Its about the equivilent difficulty (theres only about 3 people who actually understand how it all fits together), I think you'll find. Both projects are massive.

Quote from Speed Soro :We need to resolve the grip issue, and we need to resolve the downforce issue, and the countersteer. We need new tracks, and perhaps could have night races and rainy races...

We need more sounds effects, like broken glasses, body noises, and perhaps better knock sounds...

Knowing the LFS team, we will do. Eventually. Surely we could live without for now.

Quote from Speed Soro :And this game is not so hardcore as it should be, considering its purpose, to be a simulator, cause, as an example, you can downshift from 6a to 3a without broke the engine.

It takes time to make things perfect. Remember, LFS is more of an indy project than something rolled out by EA/Lionhead/etc..

Quote from Speed Soro :I'm not here to say what you must to do. I just don't want to see this marvelous idea going down. One thing you won't tell, is that the customers don't warned you...

Well, that will remain to be seen.

Nice suggestion, but I think we already know what the answers will be
open source would never work and its a stupid idea.
Autohr, drink sum poizun!
Sounds more like you drunk too much absinth :rolleyes:
Live for Speed is an on going project where the devs seem to wont to make it perfect. They have shown their dedication to this project with all the work they have put in over the years and it already kicks any racing game where it hurts. ISI just throw out a new F1C with different cars and never seem to improve there net code. You got to remember LFS is continuing to develop where as all the games you listed will stand still now and leave the work to modders. Without modders the games you listed wouldn't even sell.

I think the LFS devs are going in the right direction and their dedication is just amazing. If you consider ISI there probaly off onto some other project and rFactor will just be a distant memory to them.

Remember too many cooks spoil the meal

Keiran
#9 - Blues
Quote from Speed Soro :Scawen my far far away friend, you are just losing space in the market.

No, he doesn't!

I am 100% sure that the LFS-devs knowing what they are doing, and I am 100% sure we will get news sooner or later, so please, just relax...or go away...and play GTL if you prefer that game!

LFS is still the best racing simulator out here...and LFS is not finished.

So...instead screaming that the devs are gonna post some news, just relax...and everything will be fine
Quote from Speed Soro :So, don't change this thread to other section, please.

It's an alert, if you want to call it so.

Scawen my far far away friend, you are just losing space in the market.

We need some news, not news like progress report, but real new game's things, and we hope those can't be so hard to implement.

We are about to receive NK Pro, and just finish to get GT Legends...

GTL has no bugs in physics, is based on real cars and real tracks, and have so many more appeals that is becoming hard to keep playing LFS.

Scawen, Victor and Erick, my dears, why don't you open your code to helpmates around the world? I'm sure they'll help you with many things that surely take big chunks of time and you could concentrate yourselves in that is most important, that is, gain market.

We need to resolve the grip issue, and we need to resolve the downforce issue, and the countersteer. We need new tracks, and perhaps could have night races and rainy races...

And this game is not so hardcore as it should be, considering its purpose, to be a simulator, cause, as an example, you can downshift from 6a to 3a without broke the engine.

We need news. And I know, or maybe I judge to know, that you've got a rest, but now is time to back to work, cause the concurrency is working hard.

I'm not here to say what you must to do. I just don't want to see this marvelous idea going down. One thing you won't tell, is that the customers don't warned you...

OK BOSS! WILL DO!
Quote from Blues :...
LFS is still the best racing simulator out here...and LFS is not finished...

Will it be what a day is the Live for Speed it will be finished?

Will not it be something too great for 3 simple men?

When it is finished will not be very old regarding the commercial simulators?

I would like very that everything stayed well.
#12 - OPK
Quote from Speed Soro :GTL has no bugs in physics

lol
The steering has no feedback of grip, great...

If it had perfect physics I´d play GTL all the time, I can tell you :P
RBR is much better in this case.

But I miss some news about the development too.
#13 - JJ72
Is that a love letter? Too early for valentine?
Unless all three developers die at the same time I'm pretty sure It'll all work out just fine. Altough I don't mind introducing one more dedicated coder to the project.
When traveling, please use separate cars, different airplanes and for gods sake, watch out for wreckers!
Some people have no patients and seem to expect things far too quickly .
Good things come to those who wait , and really good things take time to perfect this is why we are not at S2 full yet , and as it is LFS is totally playable and will get updates and patches when they come .

I wonder if posts like the OP's above make the devs just feel pressured ? I hope not

SD.
GTL poses very little threat to LFS, rFactor maybe a bit more, NK Pro *could* wipe LFS out, but it won't IMO, GPL has survived since 1998 and still has one of the most active communities, LFS isn't an all time great yet, but to become the second imortal sim it will have to learn to cope with new sims coming along without having to add a load of new content each time.

I personally think LFS is fine as it is, it's not going to be wiped off the map by NK Pro as it still have the market of keyboarders/drifters that NK won't support, likewise LFS won't get rid of the ISI racers because they won't give LFS a fair chance just because of a few ricers in the LFS community.
#17 - axus
LFS is too far into its development to change the way they do things now. A new dedicated coder would be nice but it would slow things down initially in any case, even if in the long term it is better. Physics updates are coming - that is what Scawen said. With the next incompatible patch, some of Eric's work will come too, I'm sure. LFSWorld is so innovative already and almost perfect, providing so much information about everything that nothing can touch it. A lot of Eric and Victor's work goes unnoticed. When was the last time you burried yourself into LFSWorld? It is full of so much useful information - honestly, brilliant. I can't see any game coming soon with a system simmilar to LFSWorld. Eric's work is amazing - the tracks are great. There is a great track for ever car and a great car for every track (and not just one). Scawen's work has seemed to be dropping off of late, because we have seen nothing that really affects us since June (most of us anyway). The dev's took a much deserved break and now they are back working full time. Scawen's recent language work went unnoticed by many because it doesn't really affect them, but it is great that LFS is now available to a much greater audience. Now that Scawen's full time focus is again on things that are going to be affecting us, we will see the pace pick up again and there will be lots of improvements. I for one can't wait for the next set of patches because I think they will totally blow everyone's mind with the physics becoming as close to reality as you can expect it to be. I say, keep up the great work, Scawen, Eric and Victor.
These are only my general thoughs about LFS.

I agree that LFS is their game, and they will develop it the way they want.

Said that, I think the LFS project could be too big for only one coder and one graphic artist. It's not about talent, it's about size. I think the potential of LFS is unquestionable, and the collaboration with the community makes LFS a special game, but every single bug or glitch that shows up is a bottle neck for the developing work.

I'm sure the dev team has their own reasons for not hiring anyone to help, and I hope they are good reasons. Maybe they surprise us with something unexpected for the final version.

I wonder what Eric has been doing these days? a hint would be very appreciated.

Keep the good work guys

@axus: ooops, very similar posts I was writing it while you posted

I agree with you that a lot of work goes unnoticed, but I don't think a new coder would slow things, and there are areas like AI or sound where a dedicated coder could give a big push to LFS.
I respect the opinion from everybody here.

You all are people who think, like me, and you all, being humans, are able to be under passion when argue.

If you all look avatar, will see that I belong to one of the most important LFS race team from Brazil.

You can also see that I'm S2 licensed.

So, I'm not that kind of people who come here to freely attack the work, without basis, without knowing.

I have played S2 since the leaked demo, but I bought it months before, cause I believed in the purpose since the first time I downloaded the game and played the demo. And that was S1 age...

But we are finishing an atypical year: a lot of new good simulators.

You can tell anything you want, but you can't say that SINBIM and ISI has made a bad work. gMotor2 is a really good new code. rFactor is not so good, but its engine is. And you can't say different just because you admire LFS. And in GTL, SINBIM has made a excellent work, giving us no just a real racing enviroment, but a real-good-free-of-bugs car physics.

I'm a LFS fan. I know how many battles I have fight in foruns defending this work.

But I'm not blinded for its. consider the LFS tyre physics the most advanced until now, but, apart from that, what more advantages has LFS over its concurrents?

Ok, I know, and I use these in my fights: great comunity, lfs world, simple and direct menu, perfect netcode.

But that isn't all we expect.

I'm not here asking them to finish the game. I hope this game never be finished.

I'm just asking for news, and as I said, no progress reports, but new things.

Simple things, a new car, a new track variation, or new textures simulating night, grip bugs resolved, and so on...

I'm not here to kiss the feet of the team. I'm not here for LFS.

I look forward a good simulator, or various of them, and the market are waking up...

Scawen and comrades, I know you are reading this. Don't get me wrong.

I consider that is positive to say what I have thought, and this can be useful someday...
Quote from KiDCoDEa :OK BOSS! WILL DO!

im glad you restrained yourself

Speed Soro, you have valid points.

But, the LFS devs have already decided how they are going to make this game for their own reasons. Somehow i dont think you will be persuading them otherwise.
Quote from Speed Soro :GTL has no bugs in physics

Probably doesn't have, but it just lacks in many things what comes to physics.
I am big opensource fan but:
1. Scawen, Eric and Victor must eat, as far as i know they life from LFS, and with opensource and whatever licence you will be very dificult to keep promise that they will get same money as now.
2. I even can't imagin how to control such big project, how to control best quality of new tracks/cars ...and prevent from forks (this is vary bad for comunity)

But this idea is worth of reflection.
Maybe Dev's should think about additionaly programmer, a help for Scawen for doing that boring and timeeat jobs to accelerate adding new features.
Ok, there are several somehow, maybe remotely, maybe in some way , valid points, but... eeerh, there is something abo... well, i couldn't read the first post to the end.
I'm don't think open source is the way, for instance the OpenTTD project seems quite disorganised at times (but then I don't think they are intending to sell that, so it's not like people are working on it as their job).
Personally I don't think another coder would hurt, but that has nothing to do with me, it's the devs' decision, if Scawen thinks progress is going fine, there's little you can do to change his mind. Progress might be slow, but progress is good, and that's most important (plus the patches have a very personal touch).
Quote from Speed Soro :GTL has no bugs in physics, is based on real cars and real tracks, and have so many more appeals that is becoming hard to keep playing LFS.

yes.. and thats it.. GTL is based on real physics from real tracks
in somewhat similar conditions.. thats it; LFS is overal physics in all conditions .. not even based off of real ones; thats why GTL may seem real, but if you put an autocross on GTL it would handle in the weirdest fassion
This thread is closed

(305 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG